Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LEAN AND MEAN NOTES  (Read 8882 times)

ChasSmith

Re: THE LEAN AND MEAN NOTES
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2014, 07:06:19 AM »

Everybody's having fun today!

Jennifer

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2014, 07:06:26 AM »

Thanks DRs TCB, Cillaliz and vixmom. I guess the penguin word is stones. Although I would never associate stones with penguins. But apparently they can eat stones.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2014, 07:09:59 AM »

TOD:
Oh, What A Lovely War!
King Of Hearts
Full Metal Jacket
M*A*S*H
Mr Roberts
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2014, 07:30:18 AM »

Good morning.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2014, 07:38:24 AM »

TOD:

THE LONGEST DAY
WHERE EAGLES DARE
BETWEEN HEAVEN AND HELL
SAVING PRIVATE RYAN
A BRIDGE TOO FAR
THE ENEMY BELOW
THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS
You can dream…or you can do.

KevinH

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2014, 07:42:19 AM »

Good morning!

KevinH

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2014, 07:42:38 AM »

Have a good visit, Elmore, Ben and Ant!

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2014, 07:46:05 AM »

Good morning, all.

My fun today, ChasSmith, will be to continue working on the book and judging a chili cook-off, which is being held in the area of the city with the worst counts of cedar pollen. I may not survive the air, much less the indigestion. But it's fun!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2014, 07:49:39 AM »

TOD:

Das Boot
Army of Shadows
M*A*S*H
Streamers
Kagemusha
Hour of the Wolf
Joyeaux Noel
Hope and Glory
The Big Red One
Inglorious Basterds
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 08:02:54 AM by John G. »
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2014, 07:52:01 AM »

DR KevinH, I like the idea of an early Feb mini-HHW assemblage during LITTLE ME.

By all means.  I'm with DR Elmore when it comes to the ticket prices, but I really want to hear this score, and if we're going to do this we'd best set ourselves to making it happen.  I'd vote for one of the matinees with a meal afterwards.  Anyone else?

EDIT:  http://www.nycitycenter.org/tickets/productionNew.aspx?performanceNumber=7389
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 07:55:47 AM by ChasSmith »

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2014, 07:57:45 AM »

And the word of the day is: WAMBLE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  THE HOKEY POKEY

FJL

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2014, 08:09:59 AM »

The plan is to then meet our dear  FJL and his everlovin' Skip  before I  pop back to the same theatre to see the same troupe play Twelfth Night

Looking forward to seeing you between your shows!

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2014, 08:13:58 AM »

Criterion has released a terrific 5 disc (Blu-Ray/DVD) version of IT'S A MAD (4) WORLD with many great extras.  The collection contains both the restored roadshow and the general release version of the picture.

I watched the restored roadshow version last night, and I was disappointed.  I really like the movie, but next time I watch it, I'll stick with the general release version.

The problem with the 30 minutes longer "restored" roadshow version is that, with one possible exception, none of the restored footage is really necessary and none of it has been color corrected, so that it's inclusion is distracting.  In several cases, the picture elements are missing altogether, so we only have the sound track and production stills, while in others missing lines of dialogue are covered by subtitles.  There are even a couple of shots that, apparently, come from a Chinese (?) version of the movie, complete with Chinese (?) subtitles.

The one sequence that would have been nice to have in the film is  phone conversation between Spencer Tracy and Buster Keaton, which explains Keaton's purpose in the latter part of the movie.  Unfortunately, the picture portion of this scene is lost, replaced by stills, so all we have is the soundtrack.

I know that many people enjoy these "restored" versions of classic films (e.g. A STAR IS BORN, LOST HORIZON) that replace missing footage with production stills, but aside from any academic benefit, I do find these reconstructions difficult to watch because they take one out of the movie.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 08:17:36 AM by Druxy »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2014, 08:49:31 AM »

Just a clarification, because I have sort of been in the loop about Mad World - there was no color correcting some of the additional footage because there is no color left to correct.  They did everything they could, but those elements for those sections are completely faded and no color is retrievable beyond what's on this disc.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2014, 08:49:48 AM »

I'm up, I'm up and not ready to jog.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2014, 08:49:55 AM »

Weird dreams all night.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2014, 08:52:37 AM »

I'm not a Mad World fanatic and didn't enjoy the laserdisc with the kitchen sink cut (this new one is not that) - I saw the long roadshow version during the first four weeks of the original run (it was cut down to what's known as the general release version by Kramer at that time, so that the film 99% of the people in the world saw WAS the general release version in terms of picture) - unless you saw it during those four weeks all you ever saw was the shorter version which played the rest of the roadshow run (the only difference after that was when it left roadshow the overture, entr'acte and exit music were also cut).

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2014, 08:55:29 AM »

DR Vixmom, you posts from last night had me giggling as I read them this morning!

MBarnum

« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2014, 08:56:03 AM »

I have so many things that I would like to get done today, but I just don't know where to begin.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2014, 09:54:27 AM »

I'm not a Mad World fanatic and didn't enjoy the laserdisc with the kitchen sink cut (this new one is not that) - I saw the long roadshow version during the first four weeks of the original run (it was cut down to what's known as the general release version by Kramer at that time, so that the film 99% of the people in the world saw WAS the general release version in terms of picture) - unless you saw it during those four weeks all you ever saw was the shorter version which played the rest of the roadshow run (the only difference after that was when it left roadshow the overture, entr'acte and exit music were also cut).

Actually I did see it at the Cinerama Dome during its first or second week.  I think it was the first movie I saw after I moved to Los Angeles.

Ginny

« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2014, 11:05:19 AM »

Saturday afternoon greetings!

Everybody's having fun today!

My fun today was presiding over the January meeting of AAUW Middletown.  Our speaker was Dr. Lisa Mannix, Butler County Coroner.  She was informative and personable and told us it's not as glamorous as it looks on CSI and such.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2014, 12:33:24 PM »

Criterion has released a terrific 5 disc (Blu-Ray/DVD) version of IT'S A MAD (4) WORLD with many great extras.  The collection contains both the restored roadshow and the general release version of the picture.

I watched the restored roadshow version last night, and I was disappointed.  I really like the movie, but next time I watch it, I'll stick with the general release version.

The problem with the 30 minutes longer "restored" roadshow version is that, with one possible exception, none of the restored footage is really necessary and none of it has been color corrected, so that it's inclusion is distracting.  In several cases, the picture elements are missing altogether, so we only have the sound track and production stills, while in others missing lines of dialogue are covered by subtitles.  There are even a couple of shots that, apparently, come from a Chinese (?) version of the movie, complete with Chinese (?) subtitles.

The one sequence that would have been nice to have in the film is  phone conversation between Spencer Tracy and Buster Keaton, which explains Keaton's purpose in the latter part of the movie.  Unfortunately, the picture portion of this scene is lost, replaced by stills, so all we have is the soundtrack.

I know that many people enjoy these "restored" versions of classic films (e.g. A STAR IS BORN, LOST HORIZON) that replace missing footage with production stills, but aside from any academic benefit, I do find these reconstructions difficult to watch because they take one out of the movie.

Sounds like what they did with the laserdisc release of "1776," which I really enjoyed.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

ChasSmith

« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2014, 01:56:12 PM »

Where in tarnation...?  We're averaging an hour, hour and a half, between posts.

I'm beginning to think it's a weekend, or some day in which people are having fun ... or something.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2014, 02:04:55 PM »

Hello, everyone.

I'm taking a little break, then some cleaning and a walk are in order.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2014, 02:05:07 PM »

How's that for fun?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: January 11, 2014, 02:06:01 PM »

And the word of the day is: WAMBLE!

What a great word! And I don't even know what it means--I just like the sound of it. Miranda Hart would, too.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2014, 02:06:33 PM »

Good morning, gentle DRs!

And what about the rest of us, huh?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2014, 02:07:45 PM »

Had a small breakfast (in the next booth, Tom Wopat), did some banking and then had three people rehearsing - our female trio that's doing Fugue for Tinhorns, the beautiful Jean Louisa Kelly - we got along so well I think she'll do episode one of season three's Outside the Box - and then Bruce Vilanch and Barry Pearl who will stop the show cold.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2014, 02:08:23 PM »

Now I have two hours before the kids arrive.  So, time to write.  I did futz and finesse before I left and wrote a half a page.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2014, 02:08:44 PM »

Looks like DR Elmore will have two great days in a row. And one for Vixmom, as well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up