Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE STATE OF FLUX  (Read 16352 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THE STATE OF FLUX
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2004, 01:30:04 PM »

Those turtles made for a very unusual picture! And here I was this morning talking about eating them!  :o
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2004, 01:50:09 PM »

And aren't you ashamed of yourself, DR MattH.

I'm glad you enjoy my walks, DR TomovOz. I'm hoping you'll get a digital camera soon so I can enjoy yours. And where's Jane's walks lately?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 01:51:21 PM by DearReaderLaura »
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2004, 01:56:04 PM »

Thank you all for the comments on the Chinese restaurants.  I can understand them having chicken and other non-Chinese... what I find strange is that almost every time I am in one of them (which is several times a week since there are several near the office) I am usually the only person ordering anything other than chicken.   It's like without the chicken they would go out of business.

And while we are on this topic, why is what is called lo mein on the East Coast and the Midwest (a soft spaghetti type noodle) is called Chow Mein on the West Coast?  East Coast Chow Mein has small, hard noodles but I don't know what the West Coast version of that is called.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Emily

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2004, 03:13:05 PM »

Speaking of Chinese food...

The powers that be have finally decided that Soupe et Nouilles - a downtown Asian noodlery with ridiculously cheap prices - should go city-wide.

They opened one on Monkland Ave. about five minutes walking from my house.

Super yummy wontons... and Singapore noodles that are to die for!
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2004, 03:13:21 PM »

and no... they don't do cuban...
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Tomovoz

« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2004, 03:29:02 PM »

Another quiet day!! A frenzy or two may be needed later.  Back in 5 or 6 hours. Have a good evening everyone.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2004, 03:33:27 PM »

Maybe he's referring to a chocolate pecan turtle...in which case I think that even you might agree that it's delish!!

I do agree. In fact, I once wrote a long scene (beautifully played by the late Lila Kedrova and the still present John Vernon) having to do with thinking that "turtles" were the live variety, when the speaker meant the chocolate variety.

Panni

« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2004, 03:34:46 PM »

The religious turtle picture is wonderful, DR Laura. You should send it to a magazine or enter it in a competition.

Michael

« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2004, 03:58:04 PM »

Imagine my surprise when once upon a time I saw Wade Nichols/Dennis Parker (aka Det. Derek Mallory) in a film that would have made Geraldine Saxon Whitney blush!

The Opening of Misty Beethoven

A reworking of My Fair Lady/Pygmillion

Misty's life does an about face when she meets Dr. Seymour Love, a jet-setting
sex-researcher who makes a wager with an old friend that he can transform Misty
into a sophisticated, sultry socialite. His goal: to have Misty become the next
"Golden Rod Girl" for skin publisher Lawrence Lehman. Her intensive sexual
education soon brings out the real woman within Misty, and she becomes the
apple of Lehman's eye. Having reached the pinnacle, Misty is unfulfilled only in her
yearning for Seymour. But when she overhears him bragging of his success and
mocking her, she decides to take matters into her own hands
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 04:04:50 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2004, 04:54:15 PM »

Ann I sent you email.

beckon I like making people smile. :)

Panni I didn’t avert my eyes-my mother ate all sorts of strange things, and so did I as I child though not brains and as George mentioned, only chocolate pecan turtles.

DRLaura that is where turtles should be, not on the dinner table-nice pics.  I left my camera at home this morning since it was raining.

Fletcher looks like a sweetheart and he has parents with hearts of gold.

MBarnum I have been told Horizon is having great deals right now.  Maybe you need to fly into LAX.

Bogie and I are hungry.  I will be back later.

Panni

« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2004, 05:09:21 PM »

(I deleted my posted question about e-mail servers because everything seems to be working again.)

Off to take Wonderdog for a walk.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 05:10:15 PM by Panni »

MBarnum

« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2004, 05:16:40 PM »

Hmmm...well I just talked to Cal Bolder on the phone...and...he just got out of the hospital!!!

When I had talked to him last week he said he wasn't feeling very good and it turned out he had pneumonia and has spent the last 5 days in the hospital. So he is having to cancel the trip to Burbank. Now I must decide if I am still going to go down. I would still like to visit with Laurie Mitchell so I might still go as she is going to be at the collectors show. I will wait and see. Laurie and her husband are visiting New York City (her old stomping grounds) right now and will be back next week.

Anyway, feel free to send get well vibes for Mr. Bolder, he is needing them and I want him to be well...he is such a nice guy!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2004, 05:30:46 PM »

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  I actually couldn't connect to hhw for about ten minutes.  Weird when that happens.

Danise

« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2004, 05:38:48 PM »

I have to make this kinda quick because we have a really bad rain storm over head right now.

We had another bomb threat/fire drill/elevator malfunction (depending on who you spoke with).  All I know is that I’m getting a little tired of putting the fish in the EFT and trudging down 22 floors.  My legs are already starting to hurt.  

Talk about saying the wrong thing.  We had a guy in our department today that had a cell phone.  He very politely said,  “Pardon me,  but my thing is ringing and I have to answer it.”  We had peals of laughter and several comments like, “Sounds like a personal problem to me.”, “I’d have that checked out.” and “Wow! I didn’t know they could DO that!” .  

OK, I confess.   I said one of those statements but I won’t tell you which one.   ;D

Spoo, gotta run—that last lightning crack was close.  Bear is scared to death!

BTW,  I LOVE Fletcher!  

Healing vibes to Mr. Bolder! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Glad to hear Bogie is doing better!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2004, 05:41:15 PM »

I never read the comic strip Pogo, but today (according to my Futurama calendar and IMDb.com) is Walt Kelly's birthday.  He died when he was 60 and would've been 91.  Today is also Elvis Costello's birthday.  He's 50 years old today.  Just had to share. :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 05:42:15 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2004, 06:27:12 PM »

Might I just ask what in tarnation IS going on here?  Seventy-four postings at six-thirty?  As Annie's Molly would say, "Oh, my goodness."

George

« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2004, 06:35:44 PM »

I was just perusing the Schedule of Upcoming Releases section at Talkin' Broadway and under the "No release date set" section near the bottom of the page, I noticed (including Anyone Can Whistle, which was recorded several years ago) this:

Evening Primrose
(Harbinger - new on CD)
Television cast recording from studio master. Anthony Perkins.

Of course, the Harbinger Records website has nothing about it.  Has anyone heard about this??  Is this really going to happen?  What about a DVD?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2004, 06:38:13 PM »

And looking through that list, there are a lot of recordings by JAY that are still "No release date set."  What's up with that?  Why does it take them so freakin' long to release something that's already recorded??

George

« Reply #78 on: August 25, 2004, 06:42:17 PM »

Well, I'm done with work.  Off to home.  Later.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #79 on: August 25, 2004, 06:49:55 PM »

This week, the Dear Wife (star of upcoming show in some midwestern state that doesn't even border a state I've ever been to) went to the famous Flor de Mayo, where I tried their justifiably famous Peruvian chicken.  I'd been down on chicken, but this was truly terrific.  We went early, and the place was already hopping.  And, oh, yes, a couple of pages of the menu were devoted to all the Chinese food staples: moo-goo-gai-pan and the rest.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: August 25, 2004, 06:52:04 PM »

Harbinger announced that five years ago - I believe they have rights problems and that it will never happen.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: August 25, 2004, 06:52:34 PM »

Now, where in tarnation IS everyone?  Yesterday was a holiday?  Today is a holiday?  

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2004, 07:01:30 PM »

The word on Evening Primrose has always been that the Collier estate sold the rights to the story (on which its based) for one broadcast and one broadcast only.  No amount of coaxing has been able to convince them to let it be seen again.

I've seen it, and my favorite number in it was ruined by the shoddy direction of one Stephen Sondheim.  Before you throw something at your computer screen, I hasten to tell you that Stephen Sondheim believes the song was ruined by his shoddy direction.  It's the first solo, for Anthony Perkins, and it's called If You Can Find Me I'm Here.  Sondheim had long been a film buff, had worked on some TV shows before, and begged to be given a chance to direct something.  So, the director of Evening Primrose, against his better judgment, let Sondheim do just this song.  Sondheim instructed his old friend Anthony Perkins to look around the camera, but not directly at it.  As a result, Perkins looks unfocussed and oddly irresolute, which is at odds with the wonderful song would-be director Sondheim had written.

I think it was on a radio interview with Paul Lazarus, around the time of Sondheim's 50th birthday, that he made this confession.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2004, 07:04:10 PM »

Last night we saw Forbidden Broadway, and, let me tell you, if What If is anything like I'm picturing it, it's a lot funnier than Forbidden Broadway.  As BK recently said, there's something exhausting about a revue that's all funny all the time, but nothing in Forbidden Broadway is nearly as funny as What If's Something, which I've been performing at parties for years.  How I wish I could be there to see What If!  Here's hoping it wends it way to New York.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2004, 07:06:18 PM »

Ask BK: What's happening with the other L.A. productions of all those plays you wanted to be doing at the Hudson now, but couldn't because of those infernal rights problems?  Are there any you're planning to attend?  Are regrets expressed by those who treated you and Tammy so shabbily, now that you have a hit?

Michael

« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2004, 07:15:03 PM »

My rather late ask BK questions. What do you think of Alan Arkin as a director? He directed Little Murders.
Never stop dreaming.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2004, 07:15:34 PM »

All I know is that I’m getting a little tired of putting the fish in the EFT and trudging down 22 floors.  My legs are already starting to hurt.  

Look on the bright side; you could have a pet Manatee.

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2004, 07:18:25 PM »

..the Chinese food staples...

What, the Won-Tons are falling apart and need to be stapled?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Michael

« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2004, 07:20:50 PM »

And looking through that list, there are a lot of recordings by JAY that are still "No release date set."  What's up with that?  Why does it take them so freakin' long to release something that's already recorded??

I think I can answer the question in part, but DR Elmore could answer it better. When Dr TD and I had dinner with DR Elmore, it came up that he had worked with John Jap on a couple of records. Matt Borgat comes to mind.

The main reason why these take so long is that he doesn't have the money to complete them. In fact Anyone Can Whistle and many of the other announced complete recordings have never been completed recorded.

What happened was that he had a deal with a British Theater mag at the time that he would release a single disk "highlights" version. What he did was record the songs that were going to be on the highlight versions and hoped to go back and complete them when he had the money.

So money is the main issue and that they are not completed is the other.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #89 on: August 25, 2004, 07:22:45 PM »

I bought a Lucille Ball serigraph limited edition sanctioned by the Ball estate. It replicates the eight TV guide covers that honored Lucy and her co-stars on the 50th anniversary of the show.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2004, 07:34:15 PM by Michael Shayne »
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up