Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE OKAY DAY  (Read 6635 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re: THE OKAY DAY
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2014, 12:19:59 PM »

PAGE THREE SALLY MAYES DANCE!!

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

ChasSmith

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2014, 12:26:16 PM »

Rehearsal vibes for DR Elmore!

George

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2014, 12:26:59 PM »

Topic of the Day (I think that these are all the Hitchcock movies that I've seen):

The Birds
Lifeboat
Psycho (the original...and it was probably the first Hitchcock that I saw...probably)
Strangers on a Train
The Trouble With Harry

My desert island Hitchcock would probably be either Psycho or Lifeboat.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Kate

« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2014, 12:27:00 PM »

Hello Everyone!

DR Dakota Celt:

I just said a prayer for your friend Prairie.

I also recommend AMELIE.  I Also recommend LIKE WATER FOR CHOCOLATE.

Kate

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2014, 12:27:55 PM »

Thanks DR Jane for your input.  I will watch SARAH'S KEY.

Kate

« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2014, 12:28:20 PM »

Thanks George for the Welcome Back!!!

Kate

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2014, 12:40:05 PM »

TOD:

My favorite Hitchcock Movies:

REAR WINDOW
THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH
THE 39 STEPS
THE LADY VANISHES
REBECCA
SUSPICION
SHADOW OF A DOUBT
ROPE
NOTORIOUS
STRANGERS ON A TRAIN ( STARRING OUR OWN GUY HAINES)
DIAL M FOR MURDER
NORTH BY NORTHWEST
THE BIRDS

I Think the first one I saw was THE BIRDS.

If I were on a Desert Island:

REAR WINDOW ( because I loved to look at the fashions that Grace Kelly wore, and also Jimmy Stewart is my favorite actor)

Kate

« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2014, 12:41:04 PM »

Goodbye for Now!!!

George

« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2014, 01:13:49 PM »

I'm listening to the new original Broadway cast recording of Big Fish.  So far, I'm enjoying it.  I really like all three stars:  Norbert Leo Butz (I saw him live in Catch Me If You Can in Seattle!), Kate Baldwin and Bobby Steggert.

George

« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2014, 01:16:14 PM »

I've also pre-ordered the original cast recording of Yank!, starring Bobby Steggert.  It'll be released next week.  I have a demo recording of the show from several years ago. :D
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 01:18:05 PM by George »

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2014, 01:23:27 PM »

Two projects at work that I've been working on for a long time finally finished today. That's a great feeling. But I also feel mentally scrambled today.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2014, 01:47:36 PM »

This deserved to be preserved (I'm a poet and didn't know it ;)):

That's definitely a milestone AND a plateau!

LOL Thank you DR George.  Since I never pay attention I would have completely missed it :)

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2014, 01:49:37 PM »

TOD: Favorite Hitchcock--

The very first Hitchcock I ever saw would have to have been his TV show in which he directed "Lamb to the Slaughter" starring Barbara Bel Geddes which has a great twist at the finale.  (BTW that episode along with The Twilight Zone episode in which death-row inmate Dennis Weaver relives the same "last mile" scenario always stuck with me as kind-of nightmares or Gordian knots).

The very first Hitchcock movie I saw was on WOR's (NYC) "Million Dollar Movie" which used Tara's Theme as its theme intro.  That movie was, of course, PSYCHO.  I saw it more for the Saul Bass titles, the shower sequence and Herrmann's music.  After having seen the movie umpteen times (and never tiring of it) I have grown to appreciate the artistry of working on a "shoestring" as Hitchcock set up his challenge in making this movie.

I have seen all of Hitchcock's movies that are available.  My absolute least favorite Hitchcock is THE PARADINE CASE.  I find it so boring, even though I want to like it.  It's a toss up between that and JAMAICA INN, which I also want to like and can't for some reason.  ( I would add I CONFESS here as well because I never "got" the overacting of Montgomery Clift.  For me, he's a real acquired taste.)

My all-time most favorite Hitchcock movies would be NORTH BY NORTHWEST, VERTIGO and ROPE.  For the first two, it was the Saul Bass titles and the Bernard Herrmann music that hooked me at first and then, like PSYCHO, after seeing them for umpteen times, loving the ride.  My next level "down" (there really aren't any truly bad Hitchcock movies, just some that don't resonate with me) would include PSYCHO, THE BIRDS and THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY (TTWH).  TTWH was a lost cause on me for the first 2 or 3 viewings, but then I "got" the movie and find it a truly tongue-in-cheek black comedy.  I don't think the casting could have been better, particularly with John Forsythe's droll leading man and his interplay with the charming Edmund Gwenn.

MARNIE almost makes that last cut, but the attempts at giving a Freudian "answer" to Tippi Hedren's character's behavior is just too pat for me and isn't really all that shocking after repeated viewings.  I have always felt that MARNIE was the last real Hitchcock.  I conjecture that his health was on a downslide after that film and that his Assistant Director Hilton Green took over much if not all of his remaining films following the Master's storyboards, etc.  TORN CURTAIN is a movie that is less than the sum of its parts and its "punch line" could have been readily fashioned for the TV series that Hitchcock had.  TOPAZ is interesting in parts, but again is missing the magic.  John Forsythe is very good in the film, but it hasn't dated well.  IF, as some say, PSYCHO was Hitchcock's answer to DIABOLIQUE, then FRENZY for me is Hitchcock's answer to PEEPING TOM, and it's a very unpleasant film to watch.  It's obviously well-made and a Hitchcock stamp is on it, but it is not one I go back to that often.  I don't think John Addison's music helps that movie either.

FAMILY PLOT for me is a real mixed bag.  I'm not a big 1970s Bruce Dern fan.  That is, if it's a 1970s movie and he's in it, he's typecast as a crazy or psychpathic loon, which gives the whole ballgame away.  William Devane is a good actor, but he along with Karen Black are the "flavors" of the time and do not do the film justice as their very presence dates the picture.  The story is good, but overall the movie has the cookie-cutter look of the Universal TV factory right down to the font used in the opening credits.  I can't even recommend John Williams's score as I don't think it's any more memorable than some of his other thriller music pre-JAWS.  Other than "(There's Got To Be A) Morning After" from THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE is the only part of Williams's score that is memorable, and I feel the same way about what he wrote for FAMILY PLOT, sorry to say.

Unfortunately, Hitchcock went out quietly with FAMILY PLOT as it feels like a third-generation copy of a movie he could have done so much better in the 1940s or 50s.

I apologize for the length of my post.  :)
Aunt Esther: I have the spirit of Christmas . . .
Fred Sanford: . . . and the face of Halloween!

A house divided by itself, falls down.
-- Edith Baines Bunker

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2014, 02:01:30 PM »

[For today's performance of the Zsa Zsa-Charo Repertory Company and Traveling Okay, the parts of Zsa Zsa and Charo will be played by Groucho and Chico Marques]
Groucho and Chico Marques Proudly Star in The Most Un-Anticipated Dramedy This Side of Shaw [Irwin not George B.]:
"I Don't Acedia, Do You?"

Chico: [walking out of a flop-house]: Hey-a Boss, whaddaya say?!
Groucho: [rolling his eyes]: You couldn't have walked out acedia place than that!!
[Off in the distance is heard a crisp rim-shot from a drum and not the flop-house].

-- Edith Baines Bunker

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2014, 02:32:57 PM »

Greetings from Toyland!

It took me an hour by two buses to get to Radio City. I now look swell and no longer unkempt.

Then I took a bus and a taxi to Toyland. U've stocked the fridge with water I purchased along with some necessary shoe laces at the drug store on the corner of 27th and Sixth. I've set up the chairs for tonight's rehearsal and I'll shortly have my mozzarella and tomato salad for dinner. I have 90 minutes before rehearsal.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2014, 02:35:06 PM »

I loved FRENZY, especially for Vivien Merchant, Anna Massey, and Alec McCowen, and FAMILY PLOT, especially for Barbara Harris. I can't wait to see her in WHO IS HARRY KELLERMAN . . .
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 02:55:14 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2014, 04:39:15 PM »

It is quiet here.

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2014, 04:51:47 PM »

It is quiet here.

Yes, even the cricket is singing!

-- Edith Baines Bunker

Cillaliz

« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2014, 04:52:43 PM »

Pine, thanks DR Cilla.  I love Sedona but we decided we didn't want to live where there wasn't a real town.

Cottonwood is near Sedona, I think.

Cillaliz

« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2014, 04:58:14 PM »

Callie is doing quite well.  She's still sneezing, just not as much and it isn't getting any worse. Both good things

Cillaliz

« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2014, 04:59:02 PM »

Actually, I'm not sure I've heard her sneeze since I got home from work. Maybe once

Cillaliz

« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2014, 04:59:21 PM »

Wondering why we're still on page 3....page 3?

Cillaliz

« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2014, 05:00:13 PM »

I'm looking forward to watching the Olympics tonight.  Almost over...then I have to wait another 4 years to watch my winter games again

Jane

« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2014, 05:02:09 PM »

Pine, thanks DR Cilla.  I love Sedona but we decided we didn't want to live where there wasn't a real town.

Cottonwood is near Sedona, I think.

We drove from Prescott to Jerome to Sedona & must have passed Cottonwood on the way to Sedona.

Cillaliz

« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2014, 05:02:31 PM »

Work has been so busy I can't even believe it.  We can barely keep up.  Not complaining, but it's a bit overwhelming

Cillaliz

« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2014, 05:03:24 PM »

I have a stomach ache.  I think it must be the big bag of popcorn and the Zingers I had earlier

Cillaliz

« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2014, 05:03:56 PM »

We have to get to page 4

Cillaliz

« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2014, 05:04:05 PM »

It's so close

Cillaliz

« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2014, 05:04:13 PM »

I an almost see it from here