Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: HELL BENT FOR LEATHER  (Read 46509 times)

Ron Pulliam

Re:HELL BENT FOR LEATHER
« Reply #210 on: October 24, 2003, 04:40:59 PM »

With the weekend a mere 25 minutes from being officially "here," I've decided tonight is going to be strawberry daiquiris.

Lots and lots of them.

Until stupor.

With bunches of movies on the DVD...maybe some musicals, or some comedies, or some Indiana Jones.

If I watch the first 40 minutes of "Temple of Doom," I'll get all three -- opening musical number, some Indy drama and some high comedy all rolled into one neat little package.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Everybody play safely, drive safely and don't spit into the wind![/move]

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #211 on: October 24, 2003, 04:42:23 PM »

To BK and those DRs watching Taken, what do you think of Dakota Fanning's performance?  I have been recording it but haven't sat through a lot because the storyline doesn't interest me that much.  But I think Dakota is a really talented child and will give the series another try if you think it's worth it.
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

Jennifer

« Reply #212 on: October 24, 2003, 04:42:58 PM »

I really really like the smiley site!

My favorite one is the stick figure punching the other stick figure.

Since I was in a sad mood I went and got General Taos chicken. So that made me happy.

Btw, re: the pictures

I honestly know that I could not bear to look at my own picture for every post I make.  I don't mind people knowing what I look like.  Maybe I can privately send the picture, although I'd have to check thru my emails and find one first.  Actually the only person on this board who I think has seen me is BK.  At least he can vouch I'm real!

Jennifer

« Reply #213 on: October 24, 2003, 04:43:58 PM »

Oh shoot. I had that last message on preview for like 15 minutes :(

I forgot about it and then went to do something else.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #214 on: October 24, 2003, 04:51:44 PM »

Well, I'm just finishing up episode six (out of ten) and Miss Fanning has yet to appear.  However, she does do the narration - she does it well but unfortunately it is so pompously written she has no chance.  The show is watchable, features some good performances and some bad (Matt Frewer should be playing an alien), good score, and I am very partial to UFO and abduction stories.  The writing in terms of story is okay, in terms of dialogue, much less so.  Plus it's just filled with those cozy little movie things where people behave in such stupid ways because the writer needs them to do so not because their characters would ever behave that way.  Just lots of lazy writing.  But still, I'm watching it all, the whole bloody 900 minutes of it.

Jennifer

« Reply #215 on: October 24, 2003, 04:52:38 PM »

I understand what was meant by "there are more short posts now".  Many people were trying to give karma or get more stars, so they (me) were trying to post many little posts.

For instance I just noticed that if I make 4 more posts, I will be the most postful member of HHW. But I shall resist.

So has anybody checked on Swishy Sarah's karma? I hope she comes back to a lot! (remember it's on day 1, page 4).

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #216 on: October 24, 2003, 04:55:27 PM »

Well, well, well (that's three, very deep).  The power to the front of the house shorted out, and then the phone line had to be reconnected, so I've most of yesterdays notes to read and all of todays!  There is no time to rest!

However, before I try to get the third and final installment of Visit from a Taller Man posted, I should point out that almost every DVD, CD, book, and whatever in the house has been boxed...but that wouldn't exactly be true.  While at WalMart to find more shipping tape (and deciding they didn't have what we wanted at the price we wanted to pay), der Brucer couldn't keep his hands out of the bargain DVD bin.  He pulled out a copy of The Towering Inferno, which at less than $6 was certainly priced right.  I remember the film from my college days, when it first came out.  A writing teacher I had thought the opening credits sequence, "with the helicopter zooming across the screen," was a wonderful way to get the film started.  Watch the sequence again: the helicopter doesn't zoom much.  It stays static within the frame, with the background moving behind it.  What zooms is an early example of John Williams' composing artistry, as the music provides the sequence with all of it's motion and interest.  Try watching the sequence with the sound turned off.  Boring.  Try listening to the sequence without watching the screen.  Having trouble not watching the screen?  That's Williams at work!  And Towering Inferno predates Jaws, which in turn predates Star Wars.  (They are all predated by the theme music he wrote for Lost In Space, of course.   ;D)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

François

« Reply #217 on: October 24, 2003, 04:57:34 PM »

DR Pulliam
Plein Soleil?
You mean the original "Mr Ripley" film by René Clément? I'm ashamed to say that I've never seen that film and I don't believe I know the music either... All I can say is that Alain Delon and Marie Laforêt looked awfully sexy than.

Delon still looks good (for his age!!) but has turned into an ugly human being, just like Brigitte Bardot...

How on earth has Mr Rota been able to compose SO MANY soundtracks over the years? Does that man sleep?

I've checked the... kitchen: WHERE IS JOSE?

With the Mac I'm using it takes forever to turn pages! >:(

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #218 on: October 24, 2003, 05:01:12 PM »

Matt Frewer?  Wasn't he in Max Headroom?   I think I was one of the three people who watched that series when it aired.  I thought the first episode was especially brilliant, and quite unlike anything else on TV at the time.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #219 on: October 24, 2003, 05:04:16 PM »

VISIT FROM A TALLER MAN, Part Three (Conclusion):

By the time we were finished at the Post Office, it was too late to bother with lunch, so Dad excused himself and went back to his motel room for a well-deserved nap.  He figured he’d return to our house at about five in the afternoon, at which time we’d load his truck with more boxes that he’d take home with him for shipping later.  After that, we’d all drive up to Burbank, to see what had become of the house where he and Mom had raised me, and then go to dinner.

Der Brucer and I, meanwhile, had more books to pack and an appointment to keep.  Several years ago, a car der Brucer owned refused to run any longer, so we pushed it into the driveway behind the gate and promised ourselves to get it towed on the proverbial someday.  Up until now, the only use the car had was as a perch for Marty, who would jump up on the hood and then the roof of the car and observe the neighborhood from his own special perch.  However, with the move to Delaware imminent, der Brucer had decided to donate the remains of the vehicle to charity, and the tow truck was supposed to arrive sometime between three and four in.

I spent the waiting time repacking boxes of books, which der Brucer had earlier tried to consolidate into one.  Strange thing, when combining three boxes that weigh fifty pounds each, the total weight doesn’t magically lower itself to less than seventy pounds, the highest weight the Post Office would consider shipping.  I might as well have taken my time, however, because the man with the tow truck didn’t show up at three, or at four, and by four-thirty der Brucer was getting frustrated.  A call to the charity revealed that the driver had simply gotten lost.  He finally showed by five-thirty, and by six the old car was gone.  

Dad had overslept a bit, but had rejoined us and backed his truck into our driveway by that time, so we started loading his truck again.  “Having the back of the truck loaded with something should make it run better,” was his comment, and since his step-son would be handy for unloading the boxes when Dad got home, he didn’t have any problems dealing with the weight.  However, by the time we were finished, the light had gone and I’d decided the trip up to Burbank wouldn’t be worth the effort.  “Since we aren’t moving on schedule, maybe we can get up there soon and take some pictures,” was der Brucer’s suggestion.

Dinner was still scheduled for the Tam O’Shanter, one of the oldest restaurants in the county, so we all got cleaned up and headed north for the Glendale/Atwater area.  It seemed a long way to travel for a meal, now that the visit to the old home had been cancelled, but the Tam was one of the restaurants my father had liked back when I was growing up, and the food is better there than at the other old favorite, the Smoke House in Burbank.  

There’s a lot to be said for older restaurants, especially if they’ve managed to keep up the quality.  They serve what can best be called comfort food, the stuff memories both make and are made of.  The Tam is owned by Lawry’s, the same company behind the Seasoned Salt and other flavorful items, and predates Lawry’s Prime Rib on La Cienega by several years.  It had been the haunt of studio workers, particularly from Disney, and aircraft people, like my father.  Der Brucer and I had been there several times, before I retired and was working in Glendale, so we knew what to expect.  As for Dad, he looked as if struck by double vision, seeing the place as it was and new again at the same time.

The food was excellent, of course.  Dad clearly had a jones going for fish, ordering the salmon wrapped in potato slices, while der Brucer ordered duck and I ended up the traditionalist with roast beef.  “If you like horseradish, that’s fine, but I don’t care for the stuff,” Dad joshed.  He loved the two appetizers we shared, however, Welsh rarebit and mushrooms sautéed in garlic.  It turned out he had never seen oyster mushrooms before, and was fascinated by them.

I really don’t remember what we discussed, other than that our backs were going to be sore the next day, but we all had a good time.  Dad had a friend he wanted to look up the next morning, and then had to get back for Paulann’s birthday dinner.  What was more important to me was how wrong my sister had been proven, that Dad was more than accepting of myself and der Brucer as a couple.  That’s not something that comes out in words, but shows itself in postures and inflections, things that are much harder to fake.

We drove back to his motel, a checked the tarp that covered the boxes in the back of his truck.  Saying good-bye doesn’t come easily in my family, so we settled for a quick but firm hug and promises to stay in touch.  When der Brucer and I get settled in Delaware, I think we can expect a visit from Dad and Paulann, and perhaps an introduction to der Brucer’s grandkids will be in order then.  Dad can tell them all about airplanes.  I think they’ll like that.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

François

« Reply #220 on: October 24, 2003, 05:04:48 PM »

Sigh!

With those smileys, and the animated inserts and the likes this site has turned into a computer game!

When are we going to be able to play MUSIC on here site? Hummm?!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #221 on: October 24, 2003, 05:11:06 PM »

For those of you with backorders, I got LUCYMAME today so expect yours soon.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #222 on: October 24, 2003, 05:14:16 PM »

DR Ron, not another one of my friends likes TEMPLE OF DOOM at all! I think it's the most lightning paced of all three pics. That opening sequence is absolutely incredible. I remember sitting in the theater and laughing my way through it due to its incredible speed, ingenuity, and fun.

Everyone else seems to focus on the "pulling out the beating heart" scene, but there is so much else here to like, and all the gross things in it are typical "little boy" gross-out stunts that you just klnow appealed to the man-child in Spielberg.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Emily

« Reply #223 on: October 24, 2003, 05:18:32 PM »

sheesh... If I keep going with two posts a day I will NEVER get to 25!!!

I need to be able to give karma!  I want to be karma-crazed... or is that Karma Krazed? ;)

(this is a vanity post... please beware)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Tomovoz

« Reply #224 on: October 24, 2003, 05:18:47 PM »

DR RON: Sort of a "Rinse The Blood Off My Toga" look. "Antigone" is a treasured memory. I of course will take another six weeks to work out how to post a photo.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #225 on: October 24, 2003, 05:21:30 PM »

DR François:  Maestro Rota scored many Fellini films PLUS many others besides.  He died in 1979.

Practically EVERYone in "Plein Soleil" looks sexy.  It's one of the most extraordinarily photographed films ever, too!

Jennifer:  You GO, girl!  That short post message of mine was NOT intended as a dig.  I'm guAughilty of shorties myself, especially yesterday when I was trying to get to 25.  Now that I can bestow karma, I don't care how long it takes me to get to 50 (easy to say now that I'm nearly there, huh!).

Aughghghghgh!  My weekend started 15 minutes ago and I'm still in the office.  Get me the frell out of here!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2003, 05:22:50 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #226 on: October 24, 2003, 05:21:55 PM »

Ok, I'm off to "Once Upon a Matress", I look forward to the volumes and volumes of posts I'll get to read when I return.   :D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2003, 05:22:52 PM by Matthew »

Emily

« Reply #227 on: October 24, 2003, 05:25:45 PM »

Okay okay... vanity posts aside...

I'm so glad everyone like hearing about my dream.  Unfortunately for all of you who don't have pictures up - I have no idea what you looked like.  I just KNEW that you were the people I imagined you to be.

I *think* that Maya and I flirted with Craig during the dream (until MacBeth came along at least).  But then again... that wasn't so much a dream as reality! ;)

My day went VEEEEERRRRRYYYY well... I didn't get the midterm back because the TA left the corrected ones at home (argh!) but I did get a TON of stuff done at work.

I also got to speak to a very nice man from an Ex-Pat Canadian now living in the Netherlands who is leaving part of his estate to the Coalition when he passes on.  

Do all of you have wills?  I think the prospect of actually sitting down and writing what you want to happen when you die is pretty... er... morbid.  But that could just be the folly of youth speaking...

I turn twenty in 10 days!!!  I will be a fifth of a century old!!!

I am laughing so hard at all your wacky smilies... I MUST take a gander at that site!

(I even like Jennifer's non-gun-control friendly one!) ;)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Laura II

« Reply #228 on: October 24, 2003, 05:28:03 PM »

Hello everybody! I got home from work, and there were eight pages of posts to read! Of course, I read BK's notes first! :)

DVD, VCR: nothing
CD player: nothing now, but at work, Eva Cassidy. Wow, she was amazing.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2003, 05:30:20 PM by Laura II »
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Tomovoz

« Reply #229 on: October 24, 2003, 05:30:20 PM »

That was a short six weeks! Think I have managed to work out HOW. "When" is a different matter. Still have computer issues to sort out and then I can experiment with photos.
DR François: Have always admired Mr Delon. So sorry to hear that he has gone down the road of unpleasantness - hopefully not as far down the road as Ms Simone!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #230 on: October 24, 2003, 05:35:29 PM »

Thanks BK.  Maybe I will watch from episode six on, as I don't think the reairing is up to that yet.  I am not fond of when characters do cozy things in movies.

The only thing I remember Matt Frewer on was a TV show called Doctor, Doctor.  It was terrible, but it was on after my favorite show, Murphy Brown, so I'd end up watching it here and there.

Jennifer, I am with you on the pictures issue.  I love seeing everyone else, but I do not want to look at myself!  I just made an avatar and everything, but took one look at it uploaded and changed my mind.  Some things are better left to the imagination.   :P
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

Tomovoz

« Reply #231 on: October 24, 2003, 05:38:48 PM »

Just checked the list. Jose should be back home in a few days to check in. (I think he is only back on Mondays).
DR Laura II: After hearing Eva Cassidy it is time to discover the world of Judy Collins. Listen to "Farewell To Tarwathie" and cry for the beauty.(That is not Ellen Degeneris on backing vocals).
James Thurber 1957

François

« Reply #232 on: October 24, 2003, 05:44:51 PM »

Ron,

I'm making a fool of myself -- one MORE time! Oh well! -- I tend to "confuse" the names of Rota and Morricone...Sorry!

LOVE the music for The Clowns....

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #233 on: October 24, 2003, 05:45:07 PM »

Hey!  I posted my picture so y'all ("Y'all?"  Where did that come from?  I'm from Brooklyn!) can see what I look like.  (And no one would ever confuse me with [enter name of your favorite hunk here.])  I think all of you who haven't yet posted your picture should.  Methinks it really, really, really (that's three reallys) personalizes the site and helps us get to know each other better.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

François

« Reply #234 on: October 24, 2003, 05:52:28 PM »

Tom,

In "true" French attitude, Mr Delon now lives in Switzerland -- a fiscal paradise -- and supports Mr Lepen ideas, you know, the guy who stated that the Concentration Camps were just "a detail" in History!
Lepen-in-the-neck, you can pogue my ass!

Oh, also!
When referring to himself His Highness Delon says "he", and is innocent enough to wonder why most people here hates him....

BTW -- au fait -- the French Rugby Team is playing in OZ right now!

Now, that's news!!!!

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #235 on: October 24, 2003, 05:56:07 PM »

Well-said, Jay!  I think that everyone here likes and respects everyone else, and we're certainly not going to judge anybody by their picture.  Well, maybe just good-naturedly tease them, hehe.  :P :P :P

LOL, Emily!  I told Macbeth about your post...I said, "Maybe I should just call you Marilyn from now on."  And he responded to the effect of, "So help me, if you call me Marilyn, I will never speak to you again!"  Not a Manson fan, methinks.

Of course, I have no intention of giving up flirting with Craig though!  ;D

MrMarkBakalor

« Reply #236 on: October 24, 2003, 05:58:06 PM »

You can flirt with me too. ;-)

Jed

« Reply #237 on: October 24, 2003, 06:04:37 PM »

...and me! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #238 on: October 24, 2003, 06:29:05 PM »

Survivor: Pearl Island -- Wow! Almost forgot to post about this very important subject.

Holy moly!  Did Drake NEARLY almost vote off Rupert?  Rupert was totally pissed, too, wasn't he!  Mostly because he was being lied to.  Still, it was Trish who started insisting Rupert's allegiance was split between the tribes.  And she based that on???? Who the frell knows?  I guess it's because he was taken by Morgan as part of their booty for winning the challenge that Drake "purposely" threw.  I guess since Rupert was opposed to throwing a challenge, it's his fault the other team selected him as a hostage for a few days.

You hear people say some of the silliest nonsense on this show.

Jed

« Reply #239 on: October 24, 2003, 06:29:09 PM »

Alright, I've given in and added a pic.  It's not at all the best one of me (this was backstage Fiddler on the Roof, thus the freakin' huge beard), but it's the only one I could find on my computer right now.  I'll try to track down a better one...soon!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up