Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: HELL BENT FOR LEATHER  (Read 46353 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:HELL BENT FOR LEATHER
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2003, 06:07:32 AM »

:o

You have to play the BK-produced Ronald Stein CD while you look at this picture.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

steveg

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2003, 06:08:47 AM »

The American Theater Web site has a very favorable review of BK's "Jeepers Creepers" posted.  There' a link on www.Broadwaystars.com.
I'm just a bagel on a plate of onion rolls.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2003, 06:14:14 AM »

Thanks for the link steveg!

Craig - thanks for giving us the NINE review!  Watching Chita watch the show would have been a show in itself!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2003, 06:20:00 AM »

BK asked yesterday
 Just out of curiousity - what is it that you can't get used to, Noel?  The look?  The feel?  If you just stick with it you will be fine.  No, it's not what we had, but I find this more fun in a way, and  I was actually more worried about the change than any of you.  I find it no different, in fact, in terms of how I read the excellent posts, their content, etc.  The only thing that's different is the look and the feel and that I got used to instantly.  But, as I said, I know it will take others longer, and that's fine, as long as they stick with it.  The funny thing is, one tends to enjoy what one is used to - if we'd always had this board and then tried to make the change to something else, I guarantee you we would have the same problems and confusion.  However, the fact that so few ARE confused, is heartening and pleasing.  Once you have the hang of it, just go with it.  Forget everything else and just enjoy our new look and feel in terms of posting.  All else remains the same

I come not to damn the new board but to praise the old one:

How I enjoyed coming here and reading BK's Notes II.  With one click of a not-so-unseemly button, I got to one page that served all my needs:

1. It completed the witty and urbane notes with a question or topic.

2. Then it said how many unseemly responses there'd been.

3. Since it was just one page, I could "find" a word (using Ctrl+F) like Sondheim, if I wanted to just jump to whatever anyone said about Sondheim that day.

4. It was all scroll.  Never did I have to click again.

5. Most wonderfully, it was all text.  The HainesHisWay board was the product of what the host and guests had to say.  What they said was often amusing to me, and I really appreciated seeing words and nothing but words.  In one readable font that never glowed.

6. Sometimes Ethel Merman would post.

Now, I realize the ability to post under any name (e.g., 5 on The Last 5 Years) meant that uncouth interlopers could waltz through Bruce's door.  So I've no objection to passwords and real e-mail address registry.  If this is a party at Bruce's place, well, uttering a password at the door reminds me of an authentic old speakeasy like Chumley's, where we had our reception.

To continue the analogy, I loved that Bruce's place was sparsely decorated, thereby increasing the concentration on good conversation.  I know I'm resistant to change and a nattering nabob of discontent, but when you've been coming to a charmingly spartan place for a while and suddenly there's loud whirring pinball machines, skittle ball, and balloons that keep popping ... it just seems that the focus on talk ain't what it used to be.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2003, 06:30:28 AM »

Do you take the 3:10 to Yuma when you are Hell Bent for Leather?

William E. Lurie

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2003, 06:30:32 AM »

CD - The BK produced LUCKY STIFF (partially Original Cast, partially the BK Rep Company) since I'll be seeing it at Mufti Sunday (with OC member Mary Testa plus Malcolm Gets and Alice Ripley).  I hadn't played it since it first came out and I forgot what a delightful score it is.

VHS - A 1987 recording of NYCO's THE MAGIC FLUTE which I will also be seeing it this weekend.  I enjoy an opera more if I am familiar enough with it so I can watch the stage instead of following the supertitles.

DVD - Nothing this week (too busy) but I'm picking up THE JOLSON STORY and JOLSON SINGS AGAIN so they will probably be next.

Cassette - More epsidoes of "The Wonder Show" with Jack Haley, Lucy Ball and Gale Gordon (from 1938).  From this show you could never tell how big a star Lucy would become, but it the fault of the material which is primarily bad puns.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2003, 06:45:57 AM »

Good morning, DRs!  I'm at work again, and will probably be on a lot for the next 4 hours due to work-induced boredom!   ::)

WOW!  What an amazing number of posts yesterday!  It took me about a half hour to read everything and catch up, but here I am!  Let's keep the posts flying! (Although I think I would be VERY scared if I actually did see a flying post.)

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Congrats to Matthew, Jed and TCB for their new roles and to BK for the new reality show![/move]

Sorry, guys, that I forgot to post that earlier!  

CD--Michael Feinstein, Romance on Film, Romance on Broadway

DVD--nada lately

VHS--LA Confidential (again, Macbeth is responsible, hehe)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2003, 06:46:19 AM »

Wow - 6:45am on the West Coast and there are already almost two pages of posts!!!  

CD (bedside)  - Linzi Hately - True Colors (one of the best CD's ever)

CD (LivingRoom) - Jeepers Creepers

VHS - The North Avenue Irregulars

DVD - nothing

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2003, 06:54:07 AM »

8 more posts (7 now) til I can give karma! Yippee!

I have some important news from DRs Swishy and Dan!

From Swishy--please contact her at the email sarah@davishome.us.  She can't access the old one, and this is the only way she has right now of communicating with DRs.

From Dan--(I got the following e-mail)

"I'm still trying to work out my navigating and posting difficulties on HHW. It takes me only seconds to get into the discussion, but the problem lies with scrolling and inputting. When I scroll, the process is jerky - taking forever and a day (a High Spirits reference). Moving from page to page takes an unbearably long time. If I try to post, my typing doesn't show up as I go along - but so much later. There's a huge delayed effect. I tried technical support, and they've been most sympathetic but think the problem is with my computer. Yet I'm not having this difficulty anywhere else on the Net."

Anyway, he wanted me to send his greetings to y'all, and ask that if anyone has any suggestion, they e-mail him rather than respond to the board (which he can barely access): TorontoDaniel@yahoo.ca

Later!   8)

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2003, 07:06:52 AM »

Hello all!  I am back from my vacation and have just registered for these fabulous new boards.  I am excited to try out all the features.. and will post more later once I am caught up with all the archives.  :)
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

MBarnum

« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2003, 07:22:59 AM »

Let it be known BK that the first thing I do each morning on the computer is look for your daily notes. In fact I am most disconbobulated when the notes are not up when I go looking for them...so rest assured that this DR does not ever skip the notes...they really are most important to the days postings, don't you think?

VCR: 2 episodes of OH, SUSANNE and one episode of the pilot for SUPERBOY supplied by DR JRand53 who deserves a karma point simply because he sends me the neatest stuff in the mail!!

Also in the vcr is I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF, watched in preperation of my interview tomorrow with one of it's cast members.

DVD: LOVE LETTERS with Kate Capshaw, Tom Selleck, and Ellen Degeneres. Cute movie. I had heard that it was terrible, but I enjoyed it!

CD: Nothing new at the moment.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2003, 07:29:43 AM »

hehe.. I feel like the count.. THREE.. THREE Karma points. Does it get any better than this?

So yesterday I bought a hot chocolate from the "restaurant" downstairs in my office building. It was fairly decent. It was a small.  It's extra cold today and I am extra thirsty, so I bought a large.  I sincerely think that the small and the large have the same amount of cocoa, but the large has more water..   it's a little THIN shall we say..

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2003, 07:32:40 AM »

Dear BK--

Be assuaged.  Be very assuaged.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2003, 07:34:03 AM »

Matthew, Linzi Hately!  I saw her as Eponine the first time I ever saw Les Miz, and I always thought she was gorgeous and had a beautiful voice.  Other than that, I know nothing about her.  How is her CD, and is it original songs, or covers/standards?

As for today's questions -

CD player: the new Little Shop cast recording
DVD player: the Takeshi Kitano film, Battle Royale
VCR: something of my roommate's
If you pursue your star, you cannot fail to reach a glorious harbor.  - Dante, Inferno XV

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2003, 07:38:29 AM »

WB, LC!  How was your European trip??

Ummm...I didn't know Linzi Hately played Eponine, but she is most famous for being Carrie in that notorious flop of the same name....CARRIE.  She was also recently Roxie Hart in the London cast of Chicago.

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2003, 07:53:26 AM »

Thanks, Maya!  It was great - I visited a friend in Madrid and then did some traveling through other parts of Spain.  But I got sick the day before I left, so I was a little under the weather the whole time.  Oh well, it was still a blast!  I think my favorite stop on the trip was Barcelona - it's very young and cosmopolitan, and all the sights were great.  I did not so much enjoy the day trip I took to the Guggenheim in Bilbao, because my friend and I rented a car to go, and she didn't want to drive, but she turned out to be a terrible navigator, so what should have been a nice one-hour drive turned into hours and hours of arguing and driving in circles on the one-way streets.   >:(  Now I know, choose my road trip partners more carefully!

Thanks also for the Linzi info.  It's been aaaaages since the Les Miz experience - it was my first trip to London and I was only 12.  I remember taping a TV special on Les Miz maybe a year later though, which had behind-the-scenes features, and there was a lovely version of Linzi singing "On My Own."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2003, 07:53:29 AM »

Question: If you're hell bent for leather, does that mean you're into S&M? have a leather fetish? watch too much Hopalong Cassidy? I've always been curious about that expression.

My goodness! Here I log at at 10:30 EDT, and there are two pages of posts already! Folks are lovin' the new you, bk!

Media check:

CD - Clay Aiken's MEASURE OF A MAN. I agree with DR Ron that it doesn't show his remarkable range or the tenderness he can use with ballads. I liked about three cuts; the rest were too generic for my taste, but according to his two pages of thank you's, this is the album he wanted to do. I'd rather have had a CD of standards like "Unchained  Melody" that he did amazing things with on the show.

I'm waiting for my AVENUE Q to arrive from amazon.

DVD - MATRIX RELOADED

VHS - last night's WILL & GRACE
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2003, 07:56:08 AM »

Also, a quick thank you to the karma fairy for my karma point. There are some sweet, thoughtful people around here.

:-*
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Craig

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2003, 08:02:36 AM »

A few more posts and I can be a karma-chameleon too :)

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2003, 08:05:28 AM »

OOOOO  :D

Your trip sounded like so much fun, LC!  Barcelona must have been incredible indeed, even if your car trip wasn't completely peaches and cream.  

You like foreign films, right?  I recently saw a French film called L'Auberge Espagnole.  All these college students from different European countries kind of shack up together to save money, and kind of learn about each other and each other's cultures.  It's set in Barcelona (Where you going?....sorry, couldn't help the Company reference) and the city just looked so beautiful, a wonderful mix of modern and historic.  Audrey Tautou is also in it, and she's adorable as always.

Les Miz was one of my very first shows.  And every now and then in the shower, I will still find myself belting my lungs out to On My Own.  Even though I'm sure I don't sound anywhere as good as Linzi Hateley, hehe!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2003, 08:11:32 AM by Maya »

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2003, 08:14:07 AM »

Here's a link for L'Auberge Espagnole!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0283900

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2003, 08:24:23 AM »

I may not be posting for a long while as I'm getting really busy with move preparations (and writing). On the other hand, I may just do it to relax. But if I disappear, I'll eventually resurface in LA in three weeks or so.

LC

• .o0o.
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2003, 08:24:32 AM »

Maya, yes I love (foreign) films!  I also saw L'Auberge Espagnole, and when I was in Barcelona, I couldn't stop thinking of it.  Even the mix of visitors there was just as cosmopolitan and diverse as the students in that apartment.  I thought the movie seemed like a pretty accurate snapshot of life there today.  (Now I will go on a tangent: you know the song that keeps playing in the movie, that's sort of like Xavier's theme song while abroad?  It's "No Surprises" by Radiohead, and that song happened to be popular in the UK when I moved there to study for a semester in college, and every time I hear it I remember what it was like to be adjusting to life in another country and culture.  So that was a really cool thing about the film for me.   ;D)

Did you see He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not with Audrey Tautou?  She was sort of creepy in it, but I thought she was amazing.

I am the world's worst singer, but my mother will tell you she had to listen to me sing Les Miz in the shower for about three years straight.  I was always partial to Stars.  :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2003, 08:34:24 AM »

"Hell bent for leather."

"This odd phrase appeared first as 'hell bent for election' in Stephen Crane's 1899 collection of stories.  Leather, breakfast, and Georgia are commonly substituted for 'election'.  Of these, leather makes the least sense (not that any of them make much).  The usual meaning is to travel fast and hard in a seemingly purposeless direction."  

Http://www.wordorigins.org   8)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2003, 08:37:00 AM by JRand53 »

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2003, 08:55:56 AM »

LC--Ah, okay, I think I know what song you're talking about!  That's so cool that you studied abroad in England...I'm thinking that my senior year in college, I may want to study abroad for a semester in Paris, if I can afford it.  That would be sooo amazing beyond words....ahhh, I can dream about it til then!  I've never even been out of the country.

LOL, Stars is fun to sing!  I used to know that entire score by heart...there's a lot of it I don't remember now, but if a mood weird enough strikes, I will totally do a one-woman Les Miserables (including Javert) to the horror and amusement of my friends  :o

I haven't seen He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not yet, but I want to.  Somehow I think she would still be cute, even playing a sociopath!

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2003, 08:59:16 AM »

I know I'm speaking ONLY for myself, but one reason  that motivates multiple postings is to earn the privilege of bestowing "karma" points, and another reason is to get a second star.

It's something to shoot for, isn't it!

That said, it's Friday!  It's payday!  It's almost the weekend and it's all fabelhof!

Foreign film on my mind:  "Plein Soleil" aka "Purple Noon"

DVDs awaiting my viewing:  The new "Indiana Jones" boxed set, and the DTS presentation of "Dune"

CDs: No change.  And yes, Clay Aiken is still in my CD player, but NO, I haven't yet enjoyed a second of it!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2003, 09:04:11 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Emily

« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2003, 09:10:03 AM »

CRAIG - How funny that you asked about what we dreamed last night... because I dreamt of nothing less than this message board and all of the Hainsies and Kimlets. ::)

I'm not joking!  Your were there and BK was there and Mark Bakalor was there and Maya was there and Laura II and Swishy were there and TD and TCB and Jennifer and Laura I and Dave and Dan-in-TO and Ben and George and Jason and Danise and Joy and Noel EVERYONE was there! (ooh a Wizard of Oz reference!)  

I don't exactly remember the plot of the dream - but I do remember that involved eating greek food and at one point Maya brought in her MacBeth and he turned out to be Marilyn Manson.   I guess the Maya-as-Goth picture affected my subconscious somehow... :)

I get my CONFLICT CRISIS AND WAR midterm back in my next class!  Wish me luck!

I'm going to be at work today and will try to get some posting going on.  

DR Jason - I feel your pain re: annoying 20 year old who thinks she's your boss.  My actual boss' assistant thinks that she can rule over me and is always giving me her work.  This is the same woman who, when we in Montreal were moving our office, came to "help" us out and instead brought an international mailing with her that we could "take care of" while she did touristy stuff.  

She got her comeuppance when she had to explain to me that she didn't know how to do a mail merge.  Tee hee.  And she calls herself a Information Technology Major!!! :D

My AV pleasures of the week:

CD discman - You're a Good Man Charlie Brown - Revival cast.  Have I mentioned how much I like Anthony Rapp on this recording?  He has the perfect Charlie Brown voice...

MP3 Playlist - A New Brain (what little I was able to download)

My VHS and DVD players are empty this week.

Avenue Q and Zanna Don't should both be here next week!  I can not wait! :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Ron Pulliam

« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2003, 09:15:08 AM »

Re: "Taken"[/b]

I enjoyed the mini-series when it first aired.  And as BK has said so succinctly, it was in a superficial way.

I was taken by the performance of Mr. Joel Gretsch, whom I have seen only one other time, in a minor role in "The Legend of Bagger Vance."  I thought he was splendid in "Taken."

« Last Edit: October 24, 2003, 11:42:43 AM by Ron Pulliam »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2003, 09:20:15 AM »

Men with big machines are hell bent for leather right outside my door.   Yes, Virginia, they are jackhammering the street again and have been doing so all week.  I do not understand this - they were here weeks ago jackhammering the street, then they stopped.  Now, they are back.  Damn them, damn them all to hell.

Noel - I commiserate, oh, yes, I commiserate.   While the other posting style was clean and sleek the software that ran and runs the site was not designed to have as many posts as we were having.  We'd simply outgrown the capabilities of the software.  I think this new message board has the same exact sort of content, but that people are just having fun with all the doodads.  Once we're here for awhile I'm sure the doodads will not be quite so prevalant (it was the same in chat when we first discovered the smileys) - that said, the doodads are fun and I think they add a little oomph to the content sometimes.  As I peruse today's posts (and it was lovely to have over fifty posts by nine in the morning) I see that they are informative, bright and filled with interesting things, as they always were and as they always will be.  So it is written, so it shall be done.

;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2003, 09:29:13 AM »

Well, well, well, I'll tell you why I love this board - because I can see who has registered, that's why I love this board.  Sometimes it is very illuminating to see who has registered.  I actually thought that some folks would not register because of that, but I was incorrect, oh, yes, I was incorrect.  I love this board. 8) :P ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up