Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE EXHAUSTED NOTES  (Read 18890 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE EXHAUSTED NOTES
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2004, 08:52:40 AM »

BTW - I had an interesting chat with Mr. Wes Craven yesterday at the partay about being "typecast" in Hollywood. He's typecast as - well - Wes Craven, although he'd like to do more MUSIC OF THE HEART types of films . I, on the other hand, am not allowed to express my inner Sexy Beast because I've somehow become the queen of  wholesome and "nice." And I'm not - really really not.  (Maybe we could do one of those reality "trade lives" shows, where I do a horror film and he does a Disney.)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2004, 08:54:15 AM »

All those Michaels writing in New York newspapers are being kind, I tell you, kind.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2004, 08:59:46 AM »

...Not that I want to do a horror film. Unless it's funny.
But I would like to write something sexy with a few choice naughty words and writhing bodies and acerbic witty dialogue -- and not a misunderstood kid in sight. Is that asking too much??

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2004, 09:04:18 AM »

My father (of all people) long ago tried to explain to me that Sinatra's film personna, in his younger days, was that of "no ladies' man" and I can't seem to get that into my head.  Did nobody think he was handsome?  Besides On the Town (and I wholeheartedly agree with Matt about the prospect of a Sinatra ballet), there's Guys and Dolls: I always thought it would make a lot more sense for Frank to play the womanizing Sky - the audience would certainly have bet he could seduce any doll, including a Mission doll - and let Brando play the role where little singing is required, Nathan Detroit.
     I don't mean to knock Gene Kelly, but did anyone really believe the man had the greater amount of sex appeal?  Yes, he could dance, and, sometimes in a movie musical, dancing is the sexiest thing anyone does.  But On the Town is bound to seem a little bit off to me, with Frank as the less-sexy, less-romantic, more-gawky guy who is totally dazzled by New York.  If you've seen any stage version of On the Town, you know that Chip is very much a farm boy.  Of Jules Munshin, Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly, who's the easiest to picture raking hay?

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2004, 09:11:16 AM »

DRJOSE are you and your camera going to be anywhere near North Orange Grove Avenue in order to photograph the famous Allison Hayes house?   I will send you a link to a map if you think you can take the time.   It's a couple of blocks north of Hollywood Blvd and a few blocks west of Laurel Canyon Blvd.  The address is 1757 North Orange Ave.  It is a small one bedroom house built in 1950.

I've been fascinated to read Jose's accounts of exploring different parts of Los Angeles via public transportation.  My thought, all those years ago when they were building a subway, was that nobody would ever use it.  The stops would be roughly a mile apart, and, once you got to one, you'd likely still have a very long walk to reach your destination.  It doesn't surprise me that Jose has walked an average of four miles per day.  But, as I said, I AM surprised and impressed that so much has been explored, including that Ambassador College campus, which has some pretty cool buildings.  (Once there were fences to mark the end of a house's back yard.)

That said, I'm ever-doubtful that he'll make it to North Orange Grove.  Not subway-close.  But who knows?  Reading DR Jose is continually redefining my concept of subway-close.

MBarnum

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2004, 09:40:32 AM »

DR Noel, I have to say, in my opinion, that yes Gene Kelly has more sex appeal in his pinky then Frank Sinatra does in his whole body! Of course the mileage of others may vary...but I have always found Gene Kelly to be one of THE sexiest actors ever...but I do know some who really dislike him.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2004, 09:40:42 AM »

My father (of all people) long ago tried to explain to me that Sinatra's film personna, in his younger days, was that of "no ladies' man" and I can't seem to get that into my head.  Did nobody think he was handsome?  Besides On the Town (and I wholeheartedly agree with Matt about the prospect of a Sinatra ballet), there's Guys and Dolls: I always thought it would make a lot more sense for Frank to play the womanizing Sky - the audience would certainly have bet he could seduce any doll, including a Mission doll - and let Brando play the role where little singing is required, Nathan Detroit.
     I don't mean to knock Gene Kelly, but did anyone really believe the man had the greater amount of sex appeal?  Yes, he could dance, and, sometimes in a movie musical, dancing is the sexiest thing anyone does.  But On the Town is bound to seem a little bit off to me, with Frank as the less-sexy, less-romantic, more-gawky guy who is totally dazzled by New York.  If you've seen any stage version of On the Town, you know that Chip is very much a farm boy.  Of Jules Munshin, Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly, who's the easiest to picture raking hay?

Gene Kelly, at his peak, was a movie god.  He was considered a hunk.  Still is.

Sinatra was gawky, emaciated and popular with teenaged girls which, in the late 40 and 50s, were not the targets of movie studios the way they have been the past 40 years.

As the puny Maggio in "From Here to Eternity," he played his ideal role.  He would have been awful as Sky Masterson.  It's a dreadful idea.  Nearly as bad an idea as anyone thinking he'd have been a good Billy Bigelow.

His role in "On the Town" is the only role I feel he was suited for...and that's a stretch.  I don't think Betty Garrett's character would really have gone for that skinny little guy.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2004, 09:43:38 AM »

Yes, DRMB, you do know some people who do.  hehehehehe
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2004, 09:44:13 AM »

Wow, seeing the news of Laura Branigan's death was quite a shock! Gosh I just loved her singing! Very sad.

When we were teenagers my friend David's mother used to work at Harry and Davids. She would often need to call some other business at which Laura Branigan's mother worked and they would always chat. Dave and I always thought that was cool!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2004, 09:46:18 AM »

I could not find a 1757 N. Orange Avenue in MapQuest.  I could find a 1757 N. Orange Drive , which is a bit of a ways east of Laurel Canyon, between Highland and La Brea Avenues.  That puts it just north of the historic Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel and not too far from the Hollywood and Highland Red Line stop.

Are we talking about the same place?

Of course, Dear Reader Jose might tap into his considerable charms and convince someone to drive him so he can photograph this holy place shrine house for you, Dear Reader JRand54.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 09:48:35 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2004, 09:47:37 AM »

I picture Ann Miller raking hay.  In fact, I may rake some hay today.  Put me on the side of the early Frank being geeky and gawky.  In fact, I can't remember a Sinatra film where I ever believed him as a standard "leading man" romantic lover.  Can anyone name such a film where he played one and it was believable?  Just curious.

I'm very tired - didn't get to sleep until two and woke up at nine.

Emily

« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2004, 09:50:45 AM »

Diving yesterday was very sob-worthy.  At least Alexandre has more than a couple Olympics left in him (he's YOUNGER than me!!)

And he did win silver on 3m springboard - not even his best event normally...
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2004, 10:05:51 AM »

Of Jules Munshin, Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly, who's the easiest to picture raking hay?
Munshin.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2004, 10:11:12 AM »

However, it should be noted that you too, Anna Sandor, are listed!  You're a star!

Not a star -- as there’s no accompanying photo. Perhaps a “starlet.” My Star turn was at an opening night of one of my opuses (opi?) at which I was photographed on the arms of two movie star type gentlemen – both of them about 8 feet tall – making me look like a midget (not that he’s anything wrong with that!). This photo appeared in the LA Times “In Style” section, immediately catapulting me to the pantheon of the uber-stylish. (Especially as right next to my photo was one of Miss Diane Keaton at the same event. Miss Keaton was dressed head-to-toe in white -- including white gloves, natch. I don’t remember what I wore – probably all black. A striking contrast, n’est-ce pas?) I got more calls on that picture than on any article, review, learned tome, or anything about my work that has ever appeared. For the day of that photo – until it was used to wrap fish – I was a true Star of Style. Can’t top that, no siree.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 10:13:17 AM by Panni »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2004, 10:21:08 AM »

Fletcher is here!

We took Bonnie with us when we went to the office to sign the final papers.  She growled at him a little, but more in a "I'd appreciate it if you would get your nose out of my butt" way than in any aggressive manner.  He took this in stride, much better than the woman running the rescue agency.

When we got home, der Brucer waited with Bonnie and Fletcher on leashes outside while I brought out the others.  Mikey liked to bark, but he always likes to bark, and Fletcher being deaf didn't budge an inch.

Then we came inside.  Fletcher has been shown where the water bowl and the food bowl are kept, but insisted on using the toilet bowl "because it was there."  (This might be an incentive for us to put the seat down, much more than having a lady in the house has been.)  He's been shown the doggie door, and how to use it.  He's given the house a general inspection, with details to be explored as they are found.  And there have been no problems with Fletcher and the other dogs.

So, it looks like everything is going to be fine.  The biggest questions won't be answered until tonight, when we all tuck in to bed: where will Fletcher want to sleep?  And will the others make changes in their sleeping arrangements?  Will der Brucer and I be pushed off our beds onto the floor?

:D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: August 29, 2004, 10:37:16 AM »

Oh, and here's a funny thing that happened at last night's show:  After, someone came up to me, said he liked the show a lot, and then told me I'd sat on the panel critiquing a musical he'd written of Now, Voyager at the Disney/ASCAP workshop - I think it was this year's.  Then he told me he was friends with the owner of a certain record label.  He didn't seem to have a clue or even a clew as to the history, and I just stood there nodding my head and smiling as he talked about this person.  I then told him I didn't have anything to do with the company anymore and alluded to the fact that the person and I have no contact.  It was really quite funny.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2004, 10:38:45 AM »

Travel in Los Angeles by public transportation is quite different from other cities, simply because of how the city is laid out.  The distances are greater, LA being a horizontal city, which means that the p.t. riders have something in common with each other that p.t.r.s from other cities don't have: patience.  They know going from place to place that it will take time, and they learn how to schedule and pace themselves.

In other cities I've been to, it takes mere moments between when for one bus or subway or tram departs and another arrives.  Not so in Los Angeles, or anywhere in SoCal, where even bus stops can be a mile or so apart.  Southern Californian p.t.r.s take this in stride.  

(Those who insist on driving their own cars everywhere don't understand this, wanting instant gratification.  Of course, there was the one time der Brucer picked me up at work in Glendale, to drive us home in Long Beach via freeway, and due to traffic congestion the trip took as long as it would have if I'd taken the bus/subway/light rail route as usual!  And even as a passenger I was more stressed out with the private driving than I ever was taking p.t.)

Sure, it's more than a few footsteps to get from one place in LA to another...horizontally.  But consider, in a vertical city like NYC, if there were no elevators to make travelling from one place to another "easier", how everyone would have to climb up and down all those stairs.  Either they'd all die from exhaustion, or NYC would become the healthiest city in the world!  Either way, the distances (in energy required for the travel) would balance out to what LA residents regularly enjoy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2004, 10:50:38 AM »

MR BK....said audience member was probably just trying to make conversation on a "we know the same people" basis.  I can hardly wait until he goes to said person and says...."I met....."

DRJAY....the address is actually 1757 North Orange GROVE Avenue.  Sorry didn't aim to mislead you.....but yes a photo of the shrine would be so marvy!  Hopefully the correct address at MapQuest will help you find it.

Here is a link to the map I found:

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=1UKnoep_0Tp3dsLKi9NJNF3dOoklZcjFWgNjajfUFA--&csz=Los+Angeles+CA&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=

Reading the Fletcher adventures with great interest.....
« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 10:51:34 AM by JRand54 »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2004, 10:58:01 AM »

Saw this title REVIEW: "The All-Male Importance of Being Earnest" BY GORDON COX

and actually misread it as REVIEW: "The All-Male Impotent of Being Earnest" BY GORDON COX
Sometimes, the best of intentions can be for naught.

;D

Jennifer

« Reply #49 on: August 29, 2004, 10:58:40 AM »

For all those California readers what is the scoop on:

The world premiere of Andrew Lippa and Brian Crawley's Broadway-aimed musical A Little Princess begins at TheatreWorks in Mountain View, California, Aug. 25.

I would also love to hear if anyone here goes to see it.

I mentioned a few days ago that I had heard that things were going well and that they were making changes.  I'm sure there will be posts on TB soon.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #50 on: August 29, 2004, 11:00:39 AM »

Well, I'm off to get ready for the company (library) picnic.  I have to shower and shave and get my hair cut (very short...I get my hair cut literally only twice a year.  I'll admit it:  I'm cheap) and something else that I know I'm forgetting.  Oh, well.  It can't be that important (he said knowing that it usually is).  Anyway, I hope to be back in time for chat, but one never knows, do one?  (a Fats Waller reference!)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #51 on: August 29, 2004, 11:01:04 AM »

SWW fig newtons are so nutritional.  ;D I think you are wonderful to take Fletcher.  I once wanted a Dalmatian, until I read more about the problems with the breed.

Panni, pretty dogs.  I have probably seen them and didn’t realize they were pure labs.

Did anyone else have trouble connecting to the Laura Branigan link?  BTW thank you for posting it Jennifer-just wish I could listen to her.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #52 on: August 29, 2004, 11:03:53 AM »

I had to refresh my browser a couple of times before the Laura Branigan site loaded properly, Jane.  I was sad to hear about her death.  :'(  My sister loved her music.  I loved her voice.  It was such a distinctive voice.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2004, 11:04:18 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

« Reply #53 on: August 29, 2004, 11:04:28 AM »

Oh, and here's a funny thing that happened at last night's show:  

Which confirms one of Panni's Rules (PR) in this town: It's best not to say anything about anybody to anybody else. The constant mind-numbing small-talk can indeed make you crazy, but it's a small price... (I often break PR, unfortunately, but I'm working on it.)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2004, 11:05:29 AM »

DRJAY....the address is actually 1757 North Orange GROVE Avenue.  Sorry didn't aim to mislead you.....but yes a photo of the shrine would be so marvy!  Hopefully the correct address at MapQuest will help you find it.

Here is a link to the map I found:

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?ed=1UKnoep_0Tp3dsLKi9NJNF3dOoklZcjFWgNjajfUFA--&csz=Los+Angeles+CA&country=us&new=1&name=&qty=

Got it!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: August 29, 2004, 11:13:49 AM »

Hehehe....DRJAY...surely there will be a marker or plaque or something in front to mark the spot.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: August 29, 2004, 11:25:36 AM »

Off to rehearsal

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #57 on: August 29, 2004, 11:31:45 AM »

Seems like a mighty walk from the Hollywood/Highland subway stop to the Hayes house to me, but I'm sure DR Jose is redefining "walking distance" for us all.

Jane

« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2004, 11:43:51 AM »

...Not that I want to do a horror film. Unless it's funny.
But I would like to write something sexy with a few choice naughty words and writhing bodies and acerbic witty dialogue -- and not a misunderstood kid in sight. Is that asking too much??

Do what others do and write under a different name.   ;)

Jane

« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2004, 11:47:27 AM »

DR Noel, I have to say, in my opinion, that yes Gene Kelly has more sex appeal in his pinky then Frank Sinatra does in his whole body! Of course the mileage of others may vary...but I have always found Gene Kelly to be one of THE sexiest actors ever...

DITO!  Very, very sexy in my opinion.  Even his voice was sexy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up