Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: PINS AND NEEDLES  (Read 12596 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
PINS AND NEEDLES
« on: September 01, 2004, 12:01:43 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've been on pins and needles whilst reading the notes, and now that you've read the notes, it is time for you to post your most excellent questions for me and for any dear readers you might want to know something from.  Be daring, be brave, be Italian, you rapscallion.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2004, 12:03:39 AM by bk »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:PINS AND NEEDLES
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 12:05:36 AM »

Well, I tried to post post # 150 yesterday to get to page 6, but I didn't make it.  But instead:  FIRST POST!  HUZZAH!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 12:07:55 AM »

Late-night denizens UNITE.  Welcome five GUESTS.  We're talkin' about anything we feel like talkin' about.  Are you jiggy with it?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 12:11:05 AM »

My first surprise of September is that it's SEPTEMBER! I thought yesterday was the 30th - making today the 31st. I even posted late last night (or earlier tonight - I'm confused) that there were two days left in the month.
My September movie poster calendar page is THE MALTESE FALCON - so Mr. Humphrey Bogart, holding a smoking gun, and Miss Mary Astor, looking sultry in a red dress, will be staring at me all month. This month, September. (I'm just trying to get used to it.)

Panni

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 12:25:54 AM »

I have a question for bk... Why do people behave in bizarre ways?
I shall give an example - which is actually what prompted the question.... On Saturday I went to a partay at which I saw people I hadn't seen in many years. I spoke in glowing terms about WHAT IF?... Yesterday, I got a voice mail message from one of the party people - a person I used to know well, but hadn't seen in years. She said she couldn't remember the name of the revue, but wanted to see it. Could I call back with the info. I did, when I got home later. She wasn't home, but her husband, after saying "Darling, it was so good to see you!"... (They're show people - thus the darling.)...Said that she just went to pick up something at the store and would call me right back. She didn't.
So, this morning, thinking he may have forgotten to tell her that I called, I made the call again - this time to her cell phone. She picked up and told me she was just running into the bank and would call me in half an hour. She never called back.
Soooo - I repeat my question: Why do people do such bizarre things??

Panni

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 12:32:27 AM »

I'll have to wait until the morning to find out the answer to my question. I'm signing off to do some reading.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 12:39:29 AM »

I have a question for bk... Why do people behave in bizarre ways?
I shall give an example - which is actually what prompted the question.... On Saturday I went to a partay at which I saw people I hadn't seen in many years. I spoke in glowing terms about WHAT IF?... Yesterday, I got a voice mail message from one of the party people - a person I used to know well, but hadn't seen in years. She said she couldn't remember the name of the revue, but wanted to see it. Could I call back with the info. I did, when I got home later. She wasn't home, but her husband, after saying "Darling, it was so good to see you!"... (They're show people - thus the darling.)...Said that she just went to pick up something at the store and would call me right back. She didn't.
So, this morning, thinking he may have forgotten to tell her that I called, I made the call again - this time to her cell phone. She picked up and told me she was just running into the bank and would call me in half an hour. She never called back.
Soooo - I repeat my question: Why do people do such bizarre things??

People behave in bizarre ways because they are bizarre.  I find that many people are full of hooey, full of baloney and full of themselves, and because of the hooey and baloney and being full of themselves they behave in bizarre ways.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2004, 01:12:06 AM »

Good Evening! Good Morning!

Well, unlike DR Jay, I had quite another culture-event-filled today.  First up was "Broadway: The Golden Age"...

What a movie/documentary!  I'm still trying to process my feelings about it, but, all in all, I liked it.  A lot.  It was so moving to see and hear those people on the screen talk so fervently, lovingly and passionately about Life In The Theatre, Theatre in New York City, Broadway.  I found myself tearing up every now and then - the emotions were so raw and sincere at times, how could one not be moved?  The sequence on Laurette Taylor was particularly touching, as was the one on Kim Stanley.

Most of all, the film made me "sad" that I was not alive during the "Golden Age" to be a part of that scene as either an audience member or someone backstage or in the pit.  All those great performers.  All those great performances.  All those great shows.  The great number of shows!  Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy living in today, and I've been fortunate enough to see and be a part of some great evenings in the theatre, but... Well, it just seemed like those "great evenings" happened more often back then.  And they did.

Needless to say the "Dedicated To" reel at the end of the film brought some more tears to my eyes.  The performers who had been interviewed for the documentary, but had died since the original interview.  -And I could "hear" that I was not the only one the theater who was getting a little "sniffly".  And then the fun stuff running during the closing credits... ;)

I'm very glad that I finally got to see the film, and I'm looking forward to the DVD release of it.

And then I hopped on the 217 bus up to Hollywood and Vine...
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2004, 01:14:22 AM »

Fletcher considers GameBoy:

Fletcher considers the camera:

der Brucer (why am I seeing spots before my eyes?)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2004, 01:26:50 AM »

A review of Issue #50 of Scarlet Street uncovered the following:

A letter raving about the virtues of the JEEPERS CREEPERS CD - Predictable

A letter expressing polite appreciation by Charles Edward Pogue – Predictable

A letter from Jack Randall Earles fixating on “Scared Boys In Underpants” – Predictable.

And a collection of “gems”:

In a review of I SAW WHAT YOU DID:
“and where is La Crawford in all this? …She strides into the film with that piled-up hairdo, wearing full war paint, designer clothes, and a necklace any rapper would covet. Why? Well, because she’s Joan freaking Crawford, that’s why!”

In a Debbie Reynolds’ interview (commenting on her selection of the director for WHAT’S THE MATTER WITH HELEN?):

"…(Curtis Harrington is) not at all me and well, you don’t want a you. You don’t go out and hire yourself. You want the very best of the odd. You want a person who thinks differently. You want Hitchcock to think normally? Of course not!

Oh that Liz Taylor could hear that sage advice: “You don’t go out and hire yourself.”

From Ken Hanke’s “The Great Chan Ban”:

...(my) basic distaste for censorship and what appears to be cultural vandalism in an attempt to rewrite history by suppressing it…”

From Anthony Dale’s review of “Everything Was Possible”:
“(FOLLIES) like the “horror hag” fright films…showcased veteran film stars and youthful stars-in-waiting, though to a far less blood-drenched conclusion.”

And

“…Fifi D’Orsay in her anecdotage…”

“…blood-drenched conclusion…”, “…anecdotage…” – such a talented tongue!

From Robin Anderson’s  review of STAR TREK III:

“There’s also a documentary called
YERRAFORMING AND THE PRIME DIRECTIVE…”

I do so love it when the most glaring typos are in all caps – so much easier for these picky old eyes to spot!

der roving critic Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2004, 01:34:56 AM »

And then I hopped on the 217 bus up to Hollywood and Vine where I de-bussed, and then headed to the box office of the Pantage Theatre.  And once at the Box Office, I managed to snag a pretty nice seat for tonight's/last night's performance of Hairspray.  I had originally planned to head over to the Arclight to catch a later showing of "Garden State", but, since I had just seen "Broadway: The Golden Age", I decided to finish my day off with some theatre.  Live theatre.*

After purchasing my ticket, I walked around to the stage door to see if there was anyone there I knew standing outside, and, lo and behold, there was!  I ended up running into Alan Childs, the drummer for the show - who was also the drummer for Aida when I played the D.C. engagement.  I had e-mailed him when I got into town, but schedules being what they were/are... In any case, it was just 7:30, so he walked me backstage so I could also catch up with Jodie Moore, another keyboard player and Aida alumnus.  It was great seeing both of them again, and I'll most likely be sitting in the pit tomorrow night or this weekend and getting to "see" the show from there.  :)

As for the show itself...

This was my first time in the Pantages.  Quite a nice theatre - and a nice ceiling.  -Does any DR know exactly what style of architecture/decor the Pantages was done in?  To me, it was not quite Art Deco, not quite Baroque,... I dunno.  Just curious.  The only quibble I had with the theatre was that the A/C did not seem to be working properly tonight - it was quite stuffy in there, and when I went down to orchestra level (I had a first row mezzanine seat) at intermission, it actually felt warmer down there.  ???

*Oh, and what is the deal with $127 top ticket price for the VIP section (first 12 rows of the orchestra, center)?!?!?!?

I enjoyed the show very much.  I missed Marissa Jaret Winokur when she was in New York, and I'm glad I got to see her here.  I did miss Harvey Fierstein's Edna Turnblad - Harvey really seemed motherly, Bruce Vilanch just seemed to be "trying" to be motherly, imho.  However, Bruce Vilanch's ad libs didn't bother me as much as I thought they would - and there were really only three of them (at least tonight) - and they were very topical and up-to-date.  -If any DR would like for me to post said ad libs - to the best of my memory - I will do so.

The rest of the supporting cast was quite good, with the actor playing Seaweed particularly impressing me.  The "tour Link" was back in the show since Matthew Morrison has moved onto another show.  He was good too, but I wished he was taller.  ??  I didn't care too much for the Corny Collins - he came off with a "touch of sleaze" to me, and the little Inez needs to work on her diction!

And speaking of diction... In general, the sound was good, but sometimes, the voices were so over-amplified that there words became unintelligible - or more unintelligible in some cases.

And as I sat there listening to the band... And listening to the singers...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2004, 01:48:55 AM »

And I sat there listening to the band... And listening to the singers...

My mind started reflecting on some of the comments made in "Broadway: The Golden Age".

And as I sat watching the conductor put on his headphones so he could hear the "click track"... And he conducted in order for the camera to pick him up so the singers backstage could follow him...

There were no mics back then.  There were no synths.  There were no singers backstage singing in a "booth".  There was no technology.  There were only people.

And as I picked up what was "live" and what was synthed and/or sequenced and/or pre-recorded...  And as I listened to a very bad oboe sample from one of the synths...

It was up to the performer to make himself and herself heard all the way to the back row of the balcony.  It was up to the conductor to make sure that the orchestra was kept a level soft enough to not overpower the singer, but, at the same time, loud enough in order to sound present and supportive.

Hmmm...

*But it was a good band/orchestra, and the conductor seemed to be having a genuinely good time bopping and dancing along to the music throughout the evening.  -And he was/is cute too!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2004, 02:07:04 AM »

Before the movie, I walked around the neighborhood, Fairfax and Beverly Blvd.  Well, I mainly walked up and down Fairfax.

I found the falafel stand that DR Jay had mentioned/recommended, and that's where I ended up having a nice late lunch.  Very good, although there was a trio sitting right behind me who were talking kind of loud.  And they were talking about medical conditions, their symptoms and bodily functions.  Of course, they apologized to each other for bringing such subject matter up while eating, but did they apologize to the people sitting at the tables around them?... Ummm.... Noooo.  :\

Then I happened to walk by a used bookstore where I noticed a sale rack out front, and sticking out of said sale rack was a cover with "The Most Happy Fella" on it.  At first I thought it was a vocal selections book, but upon closer inspection it turned out to be a Souvenir Program from the original Broadway run!  And only a $1.00!!!  I also found a copy of an oboe piece that I've accompanied a few times that was in pretty good shape - and that was only a $1.00 too!  When I went inside to pay, the clerk happened to be asking, "Are you a concert pianist?".  Hmmm...  Did she see me bringing in some music?  Or was it just some random comment?  Well, she was asking her co-worker - apparently, in jest, but still it was a strange coincidence.  Well, I told her I was a pianist and conductor, and that I was in town playing a show right now.  She then told me about their out-of-print and used music collection.  I told her I'd have to come back at a later date - and I will - since I had to head to the movie theater.

On the way to the movie theater, I made one more stop into the Diamond Bakery - another recommended stop.  Everything looked so good!  I ended up walking out of there with a Black & White and a prune Hamentasch.  I had the cookie for my intermission snack, and I saved the hamentasch for my walk back from the Metro to the homestead.  :)  Needless to say, I'll probably be returning there too.

*I also passed Canter's Deli - which also had a very tempting deli and bakery display.  And since I was in the area of The Grove...  I have a feeling I will be taking the 14 bus to that neighborhood again, and spending a couple of hours checking things out.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2004, 02:14:09 AM »

And thus completes my late night, if somewhat long-winded frenzy.

In short it was a good day.

Tomorrow should be fun too.  I have some work to get done in the morning, and then rehearsal in the afternoon.  But tomorrow night, I'll either be sitting in the pit of Hairspray, and/or catching up with another conductor/pianist who happends in town right now too, and/or...

Goodnight.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2004, 02:21:48 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2004, 02:20:04 AM »

OH!

DR Michael Shayne:  The Hudson Theatre is indeed at Hudson and Santa Monica (6539 Santa Monica).  It's more or less on Santa Monica halfway between Highland and Vine - although it's a block or two closer to Vine.  The nearest lighted intersection is either Cole or Wilcox - sorry, can't remember the specifics right now.  But if you're coming from Highland, then the nearest lighted intersection would be Las Palmas - there's a 7-11 there.  "I have often walked down this street before..."  ;)

And as for Palm Springs... I've never been either, but it was 111(!) degrees there today according to the weather reports.  And humid!  Don't forget the sunscreen!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2004, 02:23:33 AM »

Goodnight, DR Ann.

Goodnight, DR Tomovoz.

Goodnight, John Boy.
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2004, 03:22:15 AM »

For DR Readers BK and Jose:

Do you do dinner before or after the show on Friday and would you like to meet for said dinner?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2004, 03:35:57 AM »

This was my first time in the Pantages.  Quite a nice theatre - and a nice ceiling.  -Does any DR know exactly what style of architecture/decor the Pantages was done in?  To me, it was not quite Art Deco, not quite Baroque,... I dunno.  Just curious.

Opened on June 4, 1930 as the last and largest of a chain of theaters operated by vaudeville magnate Alexander Pantages, its interior is considered to be the most stunning example of theater architecture in Los Angeles. Architect B. Marcus Priteca and interior decorator Anthony Heinsbergen, designed this highly ornate Art Deco style masterpiece in 1929 when it was the first American movie palace built entirely in the Art Deco style.

Never doubt yourself Jose!
Never stop dreaming.

Danise

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2004, 03:49:12 AM »

Good morning all!  Wow, what a storm we had last night!  Poor Bear but I had a few scared moments as well.  Tampa isn't the lighting capital of the world for nothing!

Jane, I've tried the other food.  The dogs won't eat it and at $30-$50 dollars a bag, I can't afford it.

Hurricane update--as I as it can change in a heartbeat.  It was going to Jacksonville, now it's moved to further south again.  I don't think they will know for sure until it gets much, much closer.  

Our emergency operations center is reopening to start to prepare for it as a just-in-case.  Lord, do I feel sorry for those poor people in Polk county.  I can't imagine how it must feel to think you are under the gun yet again.  

I'm very glad you will be out of harms way, Michael. Have a wonderful  trip!  Take LOTS of pictures.   :)

Gotta run for the bus!

Have a very Safe and DRY day!  AS they say on all the reports we get at work--THINK SUNSHINE!!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Panni

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2004, 04:07:52 AM »

Jose - What a treat reading about your adventures around LA! I really enjoy your boundless curiosity and your almost childlike (that's a COMPLIMENT) appreciation of the world.

beckon

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2004, 05:33:38 AM »

Ask BK:

In "What If", what song(s) are by Rupert Holmes?  I am a great fan of his work.

Also, thank you for  responding so quickly to my previous "Ask BK" questions.  I appreciate it. :)
A bell is no bell til you ring it
A song is no song til you sing it
And love in your heart wasn't put there to stay
Love isn't love til you give it away

Oscar Hammerstein II

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2004, 05:48:55 AM »

I can't stay on for long, because I'm babysitting in about 20 minutes, but thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu(!!!!!!!!!!!!) to everyone who gave me birthday wishes yesterday! Yes, Bruce, I was on the site yesterday, but it was right before I was going to work, and I had about 3 minutes to read through the posts. But I did see them and I did appreciate them. It's so nice to have a place like this where, no matter how errant and truant you are, they all stil wish you a happy birthday :).

I am updating from my new laptop! I would have updated last night, but The Breakfast Club was calling me.

:)
...Walk in the sunshine...

William E. Lurie

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2004, 05:58:19 AM »

For Ask BK - Not really a question, but I'd like your comments on the problem Decca Broadway seems to be having in getting correct tracks on their CDs the first time around.  As I posted yesterday, this week's release of MEXICAN HAYRIDE/MARY MARTIN SINGS COLE PORTER has been recalled because one of the Martin tracks was replaced with a track from her LUTE SONG album.  This same type of problem happened with MERRY WIDOW and SONG OF NORWAY as well.
BK, what is your opinion on this and how do you think they can keep it from happening in the future?

Regarding the above comments on "Scarlet Street" - the only issue I have ever seen was the one with the article on recording "Jeepers Creepers" and the interview with a former DR who has requested her name not be mentioned any more on this here site.  As for the rest of the issue, I felt it was soft core gay porn pretending to be a magazine on serious horror movies (much in the way "In Touch" claimed it was a magazine about show business but was full of semi-naked men).  Many of the ads in "Scarlet Street" seem to bear this out.  This is not a criticism of the publication, but I am wondering just what readership they are going for... true fans of horror films or gay men who aren't comfortable with buying full-fledged gay magazines?  Both are good target markets, but I found the combination a little strange.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2004, 06:15:55 AM »

LOL WEL!

More good vibes to MR BK.

DRPANNI such lovely photos to compliment those from DRJANE.  I love to see the photos.  Including of course Fletcher....hehehe he is a STAR of the internet now!

Hmmmmmmmm....my question for ASK BK day - you have heard the recordings made by Miss Patty Duke for United Artists.....if you had been the producer-conductor-arranger, would you have done anything differently?  How would you have recorded her particular singing talent?  What do you think they did right?  What do you think they did wrong?  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2004, 06:18:00 AM »

DR derBRUCER actually SS #51 has hit the stands - so you are behind the times.

DRJOSE.....love reading about your LA adventures!  What was the audience reaction to the BROADWAY movie?

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2004, 06:36:06 AM »

DR Jane:  "Wishing" is such a lovely poem, that it is no wonder you up and married DR Keith.

And as for Palm Springs... I've never been either, but it was 111(!) degrees there today according to the weather reports.  And humid!  Don't forget the sunscreen!

Ah yes, but don't forget, it's not the heat, it's the humidity!  ;-)  (and besides they have those lovely shpritzing things....

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2004, 07:11:05 AM »

Yes, I'd be interested in hearing about the audience's reaction to BROADWAY: THE GOLDEN AGE myself. Since I know this film will NEVER play here, I am desperate to get it on DVD as soon as it's released. Such a shame that a real milestone in the history of theater in this country has to get a "special" booking rather than a general release.  
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2004, 07:13:25 AM »

Tonight I'll be watching a local production of SOMETHING'S AFOOT taped over 15 years ago.

Didn't this show get a regional taping with Jean Stapleton (or someone like her)? Does anyone have that production on a commercial tape? Seems like it was shown on PBS or Bravo many years ago, but I could be hallucinating.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2004, 07:22:28 AM »

NO DRMATTH -  you are not hallucinating, Something's Afoot was shown on some television service....not sure which one...

MBarnum

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2004, 07:24:58 AM »

Thanks DR Jose for the review of GOLDEN AGE. It will be playing in Portland very soon and I am going to try to go and see it...we all know it wouldn't hurt for me to have a little Broadway history lesson!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up