Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RESTFUL SATURDAY DURING WHICH I DID NOT MUCH OF ANYTHING  (Read 9506 times)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
Re: THE RESTFUL SATURDAY DURING WHICH I DID NOT MUCH OF ANYTHING
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2014, 01:14:07 PM »

Have a lovely Sunday, all.

Ginny

« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2014, 01:29:22 PM »

Sunday afternoon greetings!  We went to church and out to lunch with Rob and Mary Linda, then Richard and I went to a nearby historic Mennonite farmstead to hear a friend lecture about 19th century pioneer church music.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #92 on: April 27, 2014, 01:30:10 PM »

Migraine-be-gone vibes to DRs Jennifer and Jeanne!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Kate

« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2014, 02:00:49 PM »

Hello all:

TOD:  No question, just advice!

To BK,

Here is my advice for a scratchy throat.

Talk softly, (Do not Whisper, this strains the vocal chords more than regular talking)

Rest, Lots of water and chicken soup.

Gargle, and avoid the outdoors as much as you can.

Also, do not sit under a fan or near a direct vent blowing cool air.

Feel better prayers to you!

Kate

« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2014, 02:01:27 PM »

Feel better prayers for DR Jennifer! :)

Kate

« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2014, 02:02:59 PM »

I watched half of Season 1 of Mr Selfridge today.

I will try to watch the rest before Tuesday because I have to return them to the Library.

Do any DR"S watch this show on PBS?

It is really good and I thin Jeremy Piven is perfect in the role.

Kate

« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2014, 02:07:09 PM »

May God Bless St John XXIII, and St John Paul II today on their Sainthood.

St John Paul II had a wonderful emotional effect on me.  When I would seen him on TV it would bring me to tears of joy!

Kate

« Reply #97 on: April 27, 2014, 02:08:45 PM »

DR Jane,

I also saw THE BOOK THIEF and thought it was very good.  I rate it 8/10.  I did not read the book.

Kate

« Reply #98 on: April 27, 2014, 02:09:01 PM »

Goodbye for now :) ;) :-*

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #99 on: April 27, 2014, 02:28:45 PM »

Re expiration dates: software can be designed to expire on a certain date, but drugs cannot. Most prescriptions are given an expiration date one year after the date they are filled. I suspect this has a lot to do with selling more of the product. Expired drugs may not be as effective as fresh ones, but I know of no reason why they can't still be used, as long as the situation isn't critical. Oils are an exception, as they get rancid, but that's another thing altogether.

DR Jennifer how expired is your drug?  I'm surprised your pharmacist didn't simply tell you it should be ok to use.

Jane

« Reply #100 on: April 27, 2014, 02:39:09 PM »

Jane, I both read THE BOOK THIEF and saw the movie. I loved both. I was very, very pleased with the film. A couple things were left out, but it worked well and was very true to the book. I wouldn't say that Keith needs to read the book first.

Thank you.  I asked on Facebook and two other people made similar comments.  I will leave it up to him.

Jane

« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2014, 02:41:25 PM »

I watched half of Season 1 of Mr Selfridge today.

I will try to watch the rest before Tuesday because I have to return them to the Library.

Do any DR"S watch this show on PBS?

No but I wish he had.

Jennifer

« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2014, 02:42:40 PM »

DR Jane I saw the movie THE BOoK THIEF without reading the book and loved it. If he is not planning on reading it then he could easily just see the movie. I like to read the books first but i know some people prefer to see the movies first since the books are always better.

He already purchased the eBook but at the rate he reads it could take forever.  Since he purchased the book I hate to waste it. ;)

Is the the type of person who has to the read the book first?  A lot of people think it is better to read the book second because the book will be so great. And if you read the book first you will most likely be disappointed in the movie.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 02:50:27 PM by Jennifer »

Jane

« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2014, 02:42:55 PM »

DR Jane,

I also saw THE BOOK THIEF and thought it was very good.  I rate it 8/10.  I did not read the book.

You don't count since you didn't read the book ;)

Interesting your rating as this is one of the rare books I gave 5 stars out of 5.

Jane

« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2014, 02:44:37 PM »

DR Jane I saw the movie THE BOoK THIEF without reading the book and loved it. If he is not planning on reading it then he could easily just see the movie. I like to read the books first but i know some people prefer to see the movies first since the books are always better.

He already purchased the eBook but at the rate he reads it could take forever.  Since he purchased the book I hate to waste it. ;)

Is the the type of person who has the read the book first?  A lot of people think it is better to read the book second because the book will be so great. And if you read the book first you will most likely be disappointed in the movie.

I disagree as knowing details from the book that have been left out can actually enhance my enjoyment of the movie.  Sometimes I fill in the details for Keith and he appreciates the story more.

Jennifer

« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2014, 02:45:59 PM »

The absolute weirdest thing happened earlier. I was reading HHW on my kindle. When I got off the wifi it went to the e-book I am reading. And then the kindle started talking. It was so strange. I know there is an audio that can read you the book (which I never use). And I don't thnk I hit anything. But it wasn't going to read me the book.. But it said "book adult contemporary' (the folder for the current e-book I am reading). Page  153 (the e-books don`t even show by page they show by %.  I wonder what I could have pressed to make the kindle do this. Or if it will stop.  At least it wasn`t reading the book. But that is still strange.

Jennifer

« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2014, 02:46:55 PM »

Migraine be gone vibes to DR Jennifer!

Thanks. I just took a 2 hour nape and it is mostly gone.

Jennifer

« Reply #107 on: April 27, 2014, 02:48:22 PM »

DR Jennifer, so sorry you're having a migraine, but glad that it's improving. I used to take Fiorinal long ago. It can be very effective. I recommend you try magnesium threonate, a new form of magnesium that gets up into the brain, which other form of mag cannot. It is ideal for migraines. I take Life Extension's Neuro Mag, but there are other brands available. You can either take it as-needed along with the Fiorinal when a migraine starts (take it immediately) or take it daily for a while to avoid migraines in the future. My osteopath tried it and completely eliminated her migraines. It's also helping her with headaches in general, which she says is a real feat.

Thanks.

Jennifer

« Reply #108 on: April 27, 2014, 02:50:04 PM »

And, yes, I'm fighting one myself today. Mine is the result of a VERY errant spine. I'll see the osteopath on Tuesday for treatment. Thankfully, mine didn't go into the visual disturbances stage and, like Jennifer's, is working its way out.

Feel better vibes (sorry I must have hit something and my vibe button is not working.

Jennifer

« Reply #109 on: April 27, 2014, 02:51:16 PM »

Thanks DRs Ginny and Kate.  HHW vibes are amazing. I really felt so crappy this morning. One of the worst I've ever felt.

Jane

« Reply #110 on: April 27, 2014, 02:52:03 PM »

There have been a few times when I read the book after seeing the movie, expecting the book to be better, and was greatly disappointed.  Dr. Zhivago was one of those.

I've never read an Elizabeth Gaskell novel.  After watching the wonderful adaptations of her novels on PBS I was going to and then chickened out.  I feared the books would not equal the wonderful series after reading some changes to the novels had been made.

Jane

« Reply #111 on: April 27, 2014, 02:52:38 PM »

Migraine be gone vibes to DR Jennifer!

Thanks. I just took a 2 hour nape and it is mostly gone.

Great news!

Jane

« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2014, 02:53:13 PM »

FEEL BETTER VIBES FOR DR JEANNE!!!

Jennifer

« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2014, 02:53:15 PM »

Re expiration dates: software can be designed to expire on a certain date, but drugs cannot. Most prescriptions are given an expiration date one year after the date they are filled. I suspect this has a lot to do with selling more of the product. Expired drugs may not be as effective as fresh ones, but I know of no reason why they can't still be used, as long as the situation isn't critical. Oils are an exception, as they get rancid, but that's another thing altogether.

DR Jennifer how expired is your drug?  I'm surprised your pharmacist didn't simply tell you it should be ok to use.

I don`t know how expired but I got it like 10 years ago. So it was quite expired.  She did tell me to take it just that it wouldn`t be 100% effective.  I only get migraines like every 2 or 3 or 4 years. So it`s not even something I like about.  I cannot read the doctor`s name. It is faded. I could just read the date and pharmacy phone number.

Jennifer

« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2014, 02:53:39 PM »

So the kindle version is working and not working. I sent the sample and will check that out.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2014, 02:58:18 PM »

I always remember Jubilation T. Cornpone because it's  when, when, with, when, who, who.....

And choreography helps......I got really mixed up doing "Everybody Ought to Have A Maid", because the choreography was the SAME for all the verses.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2014, 03:00:16 PM »

Is the the type of person who has the read the book first?  A lot of people think it is better to read the book second because the book will be so great. And if you read the book first you will most likely be disappointed in the movie.

I disagree as knowing details from the book that have been left out can actually enhance my enjoyment of the movie.  Sometimes I fill in the details for Keith and he appreciates the story more.

I personally can see both sides if you intend to read and watch the movie.  Yes you know extra details.  But I definitely agree with those who say that it can also hamper your enjoyment of the movie. So much is always left out in the movie that it is always upsetting especially if you watch the movie right after reading the book.  The movie was excellent. I really think that he will like it eve if he sees the movie first.

Jennifer

« Reply #117 on: April 27, 2014, 03:01:05 PM »

There have been a few times when I read the book after seeing the movie, expecting the book to be better, and was greatly disappointed.  Dr. Zhivago was one of those.

I've never read an Elizabeth Gaskell novel.  After watching the wonderful adaptations of her novels on PBS I was going to and then chickened out.  I feared the books would not equal the wonderful series after reading some changes to the novels had been made.

My library has the book you recommended. Except that I forgot to save it to my account and now cannot remember the name.

Jennifer

« Reply #118 on: April 27, 2014, 03:01:45 PM »

I want to finish the e-book I am reading so bad right now but probably shouldn`t.

Jane

« Reply #119 on: April 27, 2014, 03:01:55 PM »

Curiosity sent me to my library and I found they have Gaskell's first novel, which PBS did not do and probably for good reason, is available.  I have checked it out.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up