Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RESTFUL SATURDAY DURING WHICH I DID NOT MUCH OF ANYTHING  (Read 9386 times)

Jennifer

Re: THE RESTFUL SATURDAY DURING WHICH I DID NOT MUCH OF ANYTHING
« Reply #120 on: April 27, 2014, 03:02:20 PM »

DR Jane (or anybody else who reads a lot) do you like books that are gut-wrenching and emotional.

Jennifer

« Reply #121 on: April 27, 2014, 03:02:47 PM »

Oy my question mark is not working. I must have accidently made my keyboard French.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2014, 03:05:27 PM »

Well all of THAT was exciting DR GEORGE!

It certainly was, Jack!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #123 on: April 27, 2014, 03:05:42 PM »

From what I understand, the Kindle is now fine.

Thanks...I'll have to try it again when I get home tonight.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #124 on: April 27, 2014, 03:05:51 PM »

There have been a few times when I read the book after seeing the movie, expecting the book to be better, and was greatly disappointed.  Dr. Zhivago was one of those.

I've never read an Elizabeth Gaskell novel.  After watching the wonderful adaptations of her novels on PBS I was going to and then chickened out.  I feared the books would not equal the wonderful series after reading some changes to the novels had been made.

My library has the book you recommended. Except that I forgot to save it to my account and now cannot remember the name.

Demolition Angel by Robert Crais.

The back light on an eReader can really bother a migraine.  I think a black back light helps but I don't like using it.

George

« Reply #125 on: April 27, 2014, 03:06:17 PM »

So the kindle version is working and not working. I sent the sample and will check that out.

Hmm...what's going on??

Jennifer

« Reply #126 on: April 27, 2014, 03:10:48 PM »

From what I understand, the Kindle is now fine.

Thanks...I'll have to try it again when I get home tonight.

The sample (chapters one and two) are fine.  The table of contents is good and there is no problems with the first two chapters. They are clear and the formatting is good.

I found out what I did to my kindle. I must have clicked "audio guide". I had no idea that was even a thing and have no idea how I clicked on it.

Jennifer

« Reply #127 on: April 27, 2014, 03:11:39 PM »

So the kindle version is working and not working. I sent the sample and will check that out.

Hmm...what's going on??

Oh sorry I meant one person said it was working and one said it wasn't,  See my new post. The sample was perfect.

Jennifer

« Reply #128 on: April 27, 2014, 03:12:30 PM »

There have been a few times when I read the book after seeing the movie, expecting the book to be better, and was greatly disappointed.  Dr. Zhivago was one of those.

I've never read an Elizabeth Gaskell novel.  After watching the wonderful adaptations of her novels on PBS I was going to and then chickened out.  I feared the books would not equal the wonderful series after reading some changes to the novels had been made.

My library has the book you recommended. Except that I forgot to save it to my account and now cannot remember the name.

The back light on an eReader can really bother a migraine.  I think a black back light helps but I don't like using it.

My kindle doesn't have a backlight. I read next to a lamp or if I am out I have a little clip on light.

Jennifer

« Reply #129 on: April 27, 2014, 03:14:43 PM »

Thanks DR Jane saved it to my account.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: April 27, 2014, 03:23:55 PM »

Back from a cup of chicken soup, a grilled cheese and bacon sandwich, and fries.

Jane

« Reply #131 on: April 27, 2014, 03:24:27 PM »

My kindle doesn't have a backlight. I read next to a lamp or if I am out I have a little clip on light.

Right, the reason I have the Nook.  I would gladly use a lamp if it didn't disturb Keith.

Jane

« Reply #132 on: April 27, 2014, 03:26:57 PM »

Thanks DR Jane saved it to my account.

I hope you like it.  I find if I can't get into a book quickly I am less likely to stay with it these days.  I am likely missing out on a few wonderful books by not continuing.

Jennifer

« Reply #133 on: April 27, 2014, 03:32:23 PM »

I like the kindle paperwhite has a light. I actually love not having a light. I almost never use the clip on light.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #134 on: April 27, 2014, 03:39:36 PM »

Thanks for the Donald O'Conner link DR FJL.....it's a bit different than I remembered....but at least I didn't DREAM it!  LOL
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: April 27, 2014, 03:41:59 PM »

I'm on dinner break. i've worked on my orchestration, and I've watched about half of the final episode of season 1 of VERA.  I love this series.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2014, 03:52:25 PM »

DR Jane (or anybody else who reads a lot) do you like books that are gut-wrenching and emotional.

I think so or I wouldn't read so many books about WWII.  It really depends on the book.  Why do you ask?  I like a large variety and try to alternate the books, not too many gut-wrenching or same type of topics in a row.

Jane

« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2014, 03:53:28 PM »

Oy my question mark is not working. I must have accidently made my keyboard French.

Do the French not use question marks or is the ? in a different location ;D

Jennifer

« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2014, 04:37:07 PM »

I think so or I wouldn't read so many books about WWII.  It really depends on the book.  Why do you ask?  I like a large variety and try to alternate the books, not too many gut-wrenching or same type of topics in a row.
I'm reading a series and the first book was so emotionally gut-wrenching many people who read it end up in a ball crying. 

ChasSmith

« Reply #139 on: April 27, 2014, 04:37:39 PM »

Matinee over and done with.  While we had full houses Friday and Saturday, today's was considerably down, though not what they'd normally consider a bad house, just more typical for a matinee.  And the audience's own energy level was nothing like the first two, but again, the reaction during the bows was pretty stupendous.

Now for an evening and a full day of freedom and rest.    :)

Jennifer

« Reply #140 on: April 27, 2014, 04:38:36 PM »

Do the French not use question marks or is the ? in a different location ;D

Must be a different location only I have no idea where it is. I guess I could try a bunch of options. Oh well it switched itself back to English.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #141 on: April 27, 2014, 04:39:23 PM »

DR ELMORE I didn't know they made a tv series about Vera Hruba Ralston.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Cillaliz

« Reply #142 on: April 27, 2014, 04:40:24 PM »

Jane, I both read THE BOOK THIEF and saw the movie. I loved both. I was very, very pleased with the film. A couple things were left out, but it worked well and was very true to the book. I wouldn't say that Keith needs to read the book first.

Thank you.  I asked on Facebook and two other people made similar comments.  I will leave it up to him.

I watched the movie today.  I liked it, but may have liked it more if I hadn't read the book first.  Not sure.  I usually like to see the movie first so I'm surprised and then read the book to get the whole story

ChasSmith

« Reply #143 on: April 27, 2014, 04:47:59 PM »

Neglected to mention this morning that I got four (count 'em) hours of sleep last night.

That's what happens when you and the director join a small but perfect group of people at their lovely home in Norwalk for drinks and smokes (yes, smokes -- a few of us indulged in some very nice cigars with our Manhattans in this guy's former sun porch which is now an enclosed, intimate bar/library/TV/music/smoking room complete with smoke-eaters).

It's also what happens when you leave there at 2:30 in the morning for your own home which is nearly an hour away, and you have to rise and shine at 7:30 to pick up car, et cetera, ad nauseum, etc.     Oy!

Dan M

• Fish? Or, Abe Vigoda?
« Reply #144 on: April 27, 2014, 04:50:45 PM »

Here's Ronnie Barker of THE TWO RONNIES and his plea for those who pismronounce worms:

http://youtu.be/aJ0nFQgRApY
Aunt Esther: I have the spirit of Christmas . . .
Fred Sanford: . . . and the face of Halloween!

A house divided by itself, falls down.
-- Edith Baines Bunker

Cillaliz

« Reply #145 on: April 27, 2014, 04:51:14 PM »

I'm getting really irritated with the weather.  First they predict storms and act like we're going to blow off the face of the earth. It turns in to a trace of rain and that's it.  I wish this stupid drought would end

ChasSmith

« Reply #146 on: April 27, 2014, 04:52:13 PM »

IN OTHER NEWS.....

I seem to be completely over my own small, subtle, but threatening scratchy throat!!!  Yay!!!!!    :)

ChasSmith

« Reply #147 on: April 27, 2014, 05:07:43 PM »

I do hope BK can say the same.

Jane

« Reply #148 on: April 27, 2014, 05:09:40 PM »

I'm reading a series and the first book was so emotionally gut-wrenching many people who read it end up in a ball crying. 

That's a bit much, especially for an ending.  I almost didn't continue with a series when one of the books ended like that.  It was well written though ;D

Jane

« Reply #149 on: April 27, 2014, 05:10:37 PM »

Jane, I both read THE BOOK THIEF and saw the movie. I loved both. I was very, very pleased with the film. A couple things were left out, but it worked well and was very true to the book. I wouldn't say that Keith needs to read the book first.

Thank you.  I asked on Facebook and two other people made similar comments.  I will leave it up to him.

I watched the movie today.  I liked it, but may have liked it more if I hadn't read the book first.  Not sure.  I usually like to see the movie first so I'm surprised and then read the book to get the whole story

Thanks.  Did I prompt you to watch it today? :)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up