Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ROAD TO DOGPATCH  (Read 10085 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: THE ROAD TO DOGPATCH
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2014, 08:48:28 AM »

Yes I first remember seeing Li'l Abner on television....probably on the ABC Wednesday Night Movies......the songs were so great and funny that I remembered a LOT of the lyrics from one viewing.....  Not all of one song....but parts of all the songs......

They wuz not much for beauty
But they shore done their duty
And they made the bood-war buzz.
Put 'em back the way they wuz.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2014, 08:48:54 AM »

Page Three No Photo Dance.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2014, 09:11:37 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Groggy, but must get de-groggified and ready for rehearsal.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2014, 09:20:25 AM »

DR ELMORE I use this little free program to resize photos....and if you click the right button, it will put it in the same folder with your original photo and mark it COPY.  Very fast, no spyware.

http://www.fotosizer.com/

Thank you, DR JRand63!

I had a lovely time with Rosemary Ashe. She is one sassy lady.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2014, 09:27:06 AM »

Barry went to the ER last night.  He's been down with what everyone has been down with - missed two rehearsals, then was with us last night and seemed fine to me.  But he's a huge hypochondriac and it can never just be anything simple.  They told him he doesn't even have the flu or anything else, but he just told me they ordered forty-eight hours of bed rest.  Oy and vey.  He needs these rehearsals as much as anyone and he will have missed four in this key period.  I've told him when he comes in on Monday for our run-through I need performance level and that's that.

ChasSmith

« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2014, 09:44:49 AM »

Oy!

VIBES he pulls through his hypochondria with flying colors!

ChasSmith

« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2014, 10:02:58 AM »

Just read through the daily digest of CASTRECL which includes the reviews and some comment on IRMA LA DOUCE.

Good lord.  Where is the love for this piece?  In a matter of days I, personally, caught up with 1960 and went crazy over the thing -- especially the music and the unique orchestration, which I thought is what Encores! is all about, anything in addition to a fantastic rendition of the score being icing on the cake. 

A work like this will certainly have its weaknesses seen through today's eyes, but so what?  The reviews seem almost ridiculously harsh, even toward the leads who weren't to everyone's liking.  But very few seemed to have really cared about what I was so blown away by.  Oh well.  Very strange.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #67 on: May 09, 2014, 10:05:33 AM »

Friday morning greetings!  I didn't check in last night because the shopping trip with Mom started on a bad note that left me in quite a funk all evening.

I'm sorry.  It must have been doubly difficult after your extra good visit with her.

MBarnum

« Reply #68 on: May 09, 2014, 10:07:12 AM »

As far as I can recall, my introduction to LI'L ABNER was our high school production of it. I was aware of the cartoon strip, although I had never really read it.

It wasn't until shortly after we did the play that I saw the movie. I didn't really care for the film all that much at the time, but I have grown to absolutely love it. I am so bummed that I will not be able to see BK's production of the show, as I know full well he will do it better than anyone could, because he cares so much about it!

MBarnum

« Reply #69 on: May 09, 2014, 10:08:59 AM »

I am now completely up-to-date on DOWNTON ABBEY, having finished up season 4 last night.  I look quite forward to season 5!

Tonight I will watch some of the extres on the DVD set, which are alway interesting. Love seeing the performers out of character.

ChasSmith

« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2014, 10:17:11 AM »

I'm pretty sure I knew about the cartoon strip when seeing the movie for the first time, but it was one of those I'd skim over, not one of my favorites.

The memory on that is really vague, though.  I know I've never gone back to the comic in all these years, so I'd think reading some samples of it now would be interesting.

ChasSmith

« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2014, 10:24:16 AM »

Oh -- and no one, save DR Elmore, has offered any criticism re Mr. Doyle's handling of the final number!    :)

Jane

« Reply #72 on: May 09, 2014, 10:30:28 AM »

I can't believe it is already Friday.  I have way too much to do before I host my book group on Tuesday.  I also have a ton of food leftover now that our company has gone-not sure it will still be good to serve on Tuesday.  The bean salad might be but I need to cook.  At least I won't have to do much cleaning, just the guest bathroom and washing the sheets and towels.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #73 on: May 09, 2014, 10:32:17 AM »

I didn't read the ABNER comic strip because it always had SO MANY WORDS and I certainly didn't appreciate The Satire when I was that age.  It didn't seem very funny to  me.

Jane

« Reply #74 on: May 09, 2014, 10:34:20 AM »

I have never had such a feast from the library.  I now have 4 books from my eBook library and one to pick up at the regular library.  At least the regular library book can wait a week before I pick it up and I can always pay a fee if I don't return it in time.

ChasSmith

« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2014, 10:37:26 AM »

I didn't read the ABNER comic strip because it always had SO MANY WORDS and I certainly didn't appreciate The Satire when I was that age.  It didn't seem very funny to  me.

Exactly, DR Jrand63.  Any such thing would have flown right over my head.  If anything, it'll be something to be enjoyed to some extent as an adult.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #76 on: May 09, 2014, 10:58:04 AM »

Just read through the daily digest of CASTRECL which includes the reviews and some comment on IRMA LA DOUCE.

Good lord.  Where is the love for this piece?  In a matter of days I, personally, caught up with 1960 and went crazy over the thing -- especially the music and the unique orchestration, which I thought is what Encores! is all about, anything in addition to a fantastic rendition of the score being icing on the cake. 

A work like this will certainly have its weaknesses seen through today's eyes, but so what?  The reviews seem almost ridiculously harsh, even toward the leads who weren't to everyone's liking.  But very few seemed to have really cared about what I was so blown away by.  Oh well.  Very strange.

The score is a personal favorite and has been from the moment I listened to the album for the first time. Hearing it reduced to background music for the dreadfully unfunny Billy Wilder movie made me mad.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

MBarnum

« Reply #77 on: May 09, 2014, 11:25:20 AM »

The political satire might be why I didn't enjoy the movie as much when I first saw it, and why I appreciate it much more now.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2014, 11:46:31 AM »

Oh -- and no one, save DR Elmore, has offered any criticism re Mr. Doyle's handling of the final number!    :)

I doubt anyone on Manhattan's team of critics ever saw IRMA LA DOUCE before now, so how can they complain about something of which they know little?  They pan the libretto, but it's John Doyle's abridgment they are seeing, not the original Broadway libretto, but they know the book is lousy.

What I find amazing, and here I climb onto my soapbox, is that so many assholes claim to love musical theatre, but they are so intolerant: "Music in the Air" is old-fashioned, the libretto for "Babes in Toylad" stinks, "Irma La Douce" is a lousy show; well, all of these shows in 1932, 1903, and 1960 were for their time sophisticated, state of the art musicals. They were crafted and staged by some of the best show people of their time. Peter Brook was a great director, Hammerstein and Kern were major influences, and Julian Mitchell who  had the sense to get the best theatre composer of the time for "Babes In Toyland," was the leading director-choreographer of his time.

Don't these jerks complaining of the Encores! shows they don't much like realize that so much of the current crop of writers and shows as the times change will also become yesterday's news?  Broaden your minds and learn to appreciate the wide variety out there.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2014, 12:06:40 PM »

I doubt anyone on Manhattan's team of critics ever saw IRMA LA DOUCE before now, so how can they complain about something of which they know little?  They pan the libretto, but it's John Doyle's abridgment they are seeing, not the original Broadway libretto, but they know the book is lousy.

What I find amazing, and here I climb onto my soapbox, is that so many assholes claim to love musical theatre, but they are so intolerant: "Music in the Air" is old-fashioned, the libretto for "Babes in Toylad" stinks, "Irma La Douce" is a lousy show; well, all of these shows in 1932, 1903, and 1960 were for their time sophisticated, state of the art musicals. They were crafted and staged by some of the best show people of their time. Peter Brook was a great director, Hammerstein and Kern were major influences, and Julian Mitchell who  had the sense to get the best theatre composer of the time for "Babes In Toyland," was the leading director-choreographer of his time.

Don't these jerks complaining of the Encores! shows they don't much like realize that so much of the current crop of writers and shows as the times change will also become yesterday's news?  Broaden your minds and learn to appreciate the wide variety out there.

Amen.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2014, 12:27:16 PM »

Amen.

Agreed!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2014, 12:27:44 PM »

Great picture, Jrand!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2014, 12:27:55 PM »

True dat DR ELMORE.

George

« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2014, 12:28:00 PM »

When you're finished with the popcorn, eat the bowl, too...

I want that!

George

« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2014, 12:28:15 PM »

George

« Reply #85 on: May 09, 2014, 12:31:32 PM »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: May 09, 2014, 12:36:25 PM »

Topic of the Day:  just arrived here at work: 

Sheldon Harnick: HIDDEN TREASURES, 1949-2013

AND:

Hugh Martin: Hidden Treasures: SONGS FOR STAGE AND SCREEN 1941-2010.

:D

I love this Harnick set! It's quite wonderful, with lots of good songs for the next "Lost In Bostpn" recording.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2014, 12:36:34 PM »

And the word of the day is: MIEN!

And The Song Of The Day Is: STYLE

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: May 09, 2014, 12:48:26 PM »

When I was growing up (from the age of about 9 or 10) I read the "Li'l Abner" comic strip faithfully, especially the Sunday strip.  I can't for the life of me remember any of the stories (although someone was always strying to swindle them out of their lands), but I was devoted to it.

Ditto "Dick Tracy".  I do remember "Junior" Tracy and "Moon Maid" and how "Moon Maid" was discovered (trip to the Moon) and Junior falling in love with her when he first met her on earth. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 12:50:02 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #89 on: May 09, 2014, 01:29:27 PM »

The comments about the LI'L ABNER comic strip remind me of when DR Elmore directed YOU'RE A GOOD MAN, CHARLIE BROWN and I was in the cast as Lucy.  He came to an early rehearsal with an armload of paperback books of PEANUTS cartoons and encouraged us to read them as we prepped for our roles.  Are there compendia of LI'L ABNER strips?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up