Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: A HOUSE IS NOT A HOME  (Read 21053 times)

Ben

Re:A HOUSE IS NOT A HOME
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2004, 07:17:53 AM »

The Web sites have umlaats and other scandahoovian (a Minnesota-type reference) accoutrement so maybe it is.

Ahh, Page 3. I'm listening to Donald's Turn Back the Clock show. It's Robert Preston and Ben Franklin in Paris.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 07:18:19 AM by Ben »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2004, 07:24:00 AM »

I can answer your series theme song question. Randy Newman's "It's a Jungle Out There" theme song for MONK was not installed until the show's second season.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2004, 07:28:25 AM »

DR WEL....I am the one on the right,  in the bowtie and white shirt.  My friend Willem Cubbert seated on the left is played by actor Keith Bodnarick.   I look like neither Annette Funicello or Frances Farmer, that is true - so I can understand the confusion.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2004, 07:32:17 AM »

Love The Nerd pic JRand54!

Yesterday I had thought of two good questions to ask BK but then I thought "I will wait until it is Ask BK day" to ask the questions. Well, here is the day and I can't for the life of me remember what the questions were!

So instead I will send excellent vibes for house selling, leasing, and moving!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2004, 08:12:02 AM »

Well, you've read the hotes - you've read the HOTES???  What in tarnation are HOTES???  What the slip of a finger can do to cause confusion.  Why is it skirting the issue and a slip of a finger - why all these clothing allusions?  In any case, you've read the HOTES and now it is time to post until the house cows come home.  Or is it the home cows come house?
This makes pantaloons and party hats HOTE couture.  Right?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2004, 08:20:58 AM »

Dear BK: With your moving to a new home, what is to become of the beloved She of the Evil Eye?  Will you be packing her up and taking her with you?  Or will you be finding out if she has a sister?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2004, 08:23:34 AM »

A question for all the DRs:

What story (from life or fiction) do you think should be written as a musical?

And who would you like to write the musical?

Jennifer

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2004, 08:24:31 AM »

Good moving vibes to BK!

Well it looks like I will be ordering my new bed from waterbeds.com.  They have been very kind and are just figuring out how much the shipping will cost.  It's unfortunate because all of these places do free shipping in the US.  So my other choice if their shipping fee is outrageous, is to free ship it to someone as a go between.

Jennifer

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2004, 08:29:40 AM »

Okay we won't talk about TAR until DR Mbarnum watches it.  But what did you guys think about what Diane did on BB last night?  I thought it was brilliant! :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2004, 08:29:56 AM »

Answering my own question, I think the life of Charles Lindbergh would be the basis of a good musical...or three!  There's the cross-Atlantic flight, the kidnapping, and the involvement with the America First movement prior to WWII.  Loads of material.

(I've heard of a version of the kidnapping as a musical, but let's face it, anyone who casts Charles and Bruno with the same actor has some concept problems.)

I think I'd like the third story to be the focus (lots more conflict), with the team behind Ragtime doing the honors (McNally, Flaherty & Ahrens).

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2004, 08:35:14 AM »

I always thought THE ODD COUPLE could make a funny musical with Charles Strouse doing the music.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2004, 08:35:48 AM »

Coming later today: another George Eads picture.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2004, 08:36:42 AM »

Ben - "Skammen" is Swedish. In fact, there is a motion picture by that very title done my close personal friend, Mr. Igmar Bergman (Iggy to me).

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2004, 08:42:55 AM »

Linbergh's life has been made into two musicals that I know of.  One, with music by Kurt Weill, is about the flight across the Atlantic.  The other is called, I think, The Baby Case, and is by someone from Philadelphia.  Like many a miserable musical that starts with some overly dramatic real human tragedy (the kidnapping of the Lindbergh baby, never found) - it's unintenionally risible.  In the extreme.

It would be interesting to see how audiences today would react to Lindbergh's political urging that we NOT involve ourselves with stopping the Nazi menace.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2004, 08:48:17 AM »

Hmmmmmmmm I know that DRJMK has completed a musical based on the life of Frances Farmer and another well known singer-actress.....so THAT'S been done.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm......"The Manchurian Candidate" might make an interesting musical...

And I guess a musical about Annette with music (already composed & new) by the Shermans would be GREAT!

Michael

« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2004, 08:51:24 AM »

Quick note from work.

No power at my house. My housing development is a mess. It looks like a tornado went through there.

We have electricity, but our server is down  so no cash drawers, computers to run the show.

When electricity returns lots of catching up and photos to post.

See you all soon
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2004, 08:53:28 AM »

Oh my....well my question for MR BK ASK BK DAY FOR TODAY is:

Since you are preparing even as I type to MOVE....when was the last time you moved?  Would you say you have acquired a "bit" more stuff since then, a "lot" more stuff since then, OR "too much" stuff since then?

My last move was when I bought this house six years ago.  I have definitely acquired more stuff since then, but I've also slowly been getting rid of some of it in preparation for the move.  Mostly CDs and DVDs and the like.  Fortunately, whichever house I end up in will house everything I've got.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2004, 08:55:12 AM »

Don't forget to take a last walk around the neighborhood.

That I probably won't have to do since I will most likely be living two blocks north of here, potentially on the same street.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2004, 08:56:26 AM »

Ask BK:

Since you seem to be having so much stress lately with the house and everything, what do you like to do to relax?  Also, do you have any hobbies?

POSITIVE VIBES TO YOU

I watch movies to relax, I go out to eat to relax, and thankfully I've had to create What If while all this was going on - which was a nice diversion.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2004, 08:56:48 AM »

What does it mean in a listing for a house in Studio City, when it says South of the Boulevard?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2004, 08:57:43 AM »

What does skammen mean? It sounds Scandanavian to me but I doubt that it is? I just found out. It means shame though I'm still looking for the language of origin.

Swedish.  The title of an Ingmar Bergman film.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2004, 08:58:54 AM »

Ask BK:
How often do you play your piano?
And what sort of things do you play?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2004, 09:00:28 AM »

Dear BK: With your moving to a new home, what is to become of the beloved She of the Evil Eye?  Will you be packing her up and taking her with you?  Or will you be finding out if she has a sister?

She of the Evil Eye will be coming to the new house, hopefully on the day I move in.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2004, 09:02:04 AM »

What does it mean in a listing for a house in Studio City, when it says South of the Boulevard?

South of Ventura Blvd. which used to be the most desirable place to live in Studio City, Sherman Oaks, Encino and Tarzana.  It's still desirable in all those places except Studio City, where it doesn't matter anymore because Studio City is where people want to live, families mainly, because it's the best school district in the valley.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2004, 09:03:56 AM »

Ask BK:
How often do you play your piano?
And what sort of things do you play?

Until I began the adaptation of Nudie, and the Meltz and Ernest film, I really didn't play the piano all that much.  In the last couple of months I've had to play it a lot because of the revue.  Once I'm all done futzing with that, I probably will do it only occasionally again.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2004, 09:06:39 AM »

Thank goodness!  It's a relief to learn that DR MattH is high and dry.  Frances really packed a punch!

But Holy Toledo, BK-man!  SELLING YOUR HOUSE??

That's HUGE!  

I hope you get the rental of your choice!

I am back at work off a four-day weekend.  I spent that weekend cleaning out closets, assembling CD towers, loading same with DVDs and CDs (and going from an alphabetical system to a system that arranges titles by composer/artists), cleaning out more closets, arranging books and stuff on the shelves that had been emptied of DVDS/CDs, getting my car tuned up, going to therapy (and OUCH OUCH OUCH, she's getting r-o-u-g-h!), making piles of things to get rid of, etc., etc., etc.  It was liberating and cathartic!

It has been exceedingly HOT in the Bay Area...FOR the Bay Area, that is.  My place has a full western exposure and all the windows face west, so I get the brunt of heat on days like these.  The apartment turns into an oven.  Of course, that's why I bought an a/c 8 years ago and that's what kept me cool and sane.  The bedroom, however, is not where the a/c is but is where the computer is, so I didn't go online but a few times all those four days.  I slept in the living room every night but last night when it turned a bit cooler.

So I'm back at work...it's Wednesday...and everything feels and acts like MONDAY!  WHY IS THAT???!!!???

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2004, 09:18:29 AM »

~~~BEST MOVING VIBES FOR BK!!~~~

A general Ask Anyone a Question question:  why do some people (a Gypsy reference) pronounce the word "realtor" as "ree-li-ter"?  It is "reel-ter" not "ree-li-ter."  I've never understood this.  And why does no one pronounce the first r in February?  It's only ever heard as "Feb-yoo-airy."  Just curious. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2004, 09:22:42 AM »

~~~BEST MOVING VIBES FOR BK!!~~~

A general Ask Anyone a Question question:  why do some people (a Gypsy reference) pronounce the word "realtor" as "ree-li-ter"?  It is "reel-ter" not "ree-li-ter."  I've never understood this.  And why does no one pronounce the first r in February?  It's only ever heard as "Feb-yoo-airy."  Just curious. ::)

Barbiturates is another word where people have problems with all the "r's."

The pronunciation of February is a pet peeve of mine.  I have been shocked by the people I have heard mispronounce it.

But the one that gets me is that a graphic designer I work with pronounces "picture" as "pitcher."  Can you believe??

George

« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2004, 09:29:17 AM »

And then there's also "prerogative."  "It's a woman's per-ogative" is the only way I've ever heard it pronounced...not pre-rogative.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2004, 09:31:54 AM »

A friend of mine pronounces "supposedly" as "supposably."  And my niece's grandmother actually says "basketti" instead of "spaghetti."  Then there's always "libary."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up