Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: LIGHT UP THE SKY FOR IT'S THE FOURTH OF JULY  (Read 4551 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re: LIGHT UP THE SKY FOR IT'S THE FOURTH OF JULY
« Reply #120 on: July 04, 2014, 03:55:20 PM »

Computer animation in 1983/84 wasn't what it is now. So when they filmed The Natural (which I haven't seen), for the baseball stadium scenes they used a mix of live extras with cutouts. 
My landlady acquired some of those cutouts, which she proudly displays on July 4th.    :)

that is cool  and  you live in a most beautiful house!

Ditto & ditto!

Jane

« Reply #121 on: July 04, 2014, 03:56:29 PM »

Good morning, all.

According to the local rag, last night's power outage affected only some 500 people in Danbury, so this was a rare instance of my being part of a small outage.  It was out for over ten hours, and the generator performed like a champ.  Now I just have to go around and reset clocks, since they lose it in the 10-15 seconds before the generator kicks in.

Good for your generator.  I wish we had installed one.

Jane

« Reply #122 on: July 04, 2014, 03:58:18 PM »

I repeat VIXDAD's sentiments on this July 4th!

Yes, but Vixdad was/is Brittish ;)

Enjoy the view from your porch.

Jane

« Reply #123 on: July 04, 2014, 03:59:25 PM »

We washed the cars this morning. They were very dirty after that haboob and little bit of rain last night.

Today sometime I will watch 1776. That will take a good part of the afternoon, since it is so long.

I will see if Wae-Ling wants to take the black light over to the church to look for scorpions and then watch the fireworks from there. It's a little more open so we can see them a little better.

I know you spend most of your time with the precious Wae-Ling, however, for fireworks wouldn't her sister also want to go?

Jane

« Reply #124 on: July 04, 2014, 03:59:48 PM »

I will see if Wae-Ling wants to take the black light over to the church to look for scorpions and then watch the fireworks from there

My eyes!!! 

How can I ever un-read that post???

;D

Jane

« Reply #125 on: July 04, 2014, 04:01:55 PM »

Make my pie. Cleaned the bird's cage. Loaded the dish washer. And am roasting a pumpkin. I want a nap. But I can't do until the pumpkin roasts. Another hour.

Where do you find a pumpkin at this time of year?

Jane

« Reply #126 on: July 04, 2014, 04:02:23 PM »

Jane

« Reply #127 on: July 04, 2014, 04:03:36 PM »

They glow white under a black light.

I wonder who the first person was who figured that out.  And what made them want to put a black light on a scorpion

LOL :)

Jane

« Reply #128 on: July 04, 2014, 04:04:37 PM »

Cilla, was a nomination of some sort needed to obtain your new appointment? Or do the Powers That Be just know you already?

I had a call from the administrator of the Commission who asked me if I would agree to be nominated.  She said there were other nominees as well but I don't know who they were

That was it?  No interview or anything?  That is a nice compliment.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 04:09:13 PM by Jane »

Cillaliz

« Reply #129 on: July 04, 2014, 04:06:31 PM »

Cilla, was a nomination of some sort needed to obtain your new appointment? Or do the Powers That Be just know you already?

I had a call from the administrator of the Commission who asked me if I would agree to be nominated.  She said there were other nominees as well but I don't know who they were

I didn't even fill out the application. They know me

Jane

« Reply #130 on: July 04, 2014, 04:08:02 PM »

You always have so much fun, Cillaliz.

I try.  Since I've quit traveling it's been easier to say yes to things like the piccolo band. Once you start saying yes people ask you more often.  And I decided a while back I'm going to do whatever I want to do and just not worry about it.  My sister is at the lake and is now realizing how much mom and dad have changed.  She and her husband are doing a lot of the work I normally do.  It's nice to not feel guilty for not being there.   

More than not feeling guilty, it is good you didn't go.  Your sister needed to know the situation. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #131 on: July 04, 2014, 04:08:28 PM »

They showed our little piccolo group on the news on two different channels, if they put the link on their websites I'll post it

Jane

« Reply #132 on: July 04, 2014, 04:08:44 PM »

Vixdad and The Vixter are watching  the Twilight Zone Marathon

What Keith told everyone we were going to do today ;D

Cillaliz

« Reply #133 on: July 04, 2014, 04:09:01 PM »

I try.  Since I've quit traveling it's been easier to say yes to things like the piccolo band. Once you start saying yes people ask you more often.  And I decided a while back I'm going to do whatever I want to do and just not worry about it.  My sister is at the lake and is now realizing how much mom and dad have changed.  She and her husband are doing a lot of the work I normally do.  It's nice to not feel guilty for not being there.   

More than not feeling guilty, it is good you didn't go.  Your sister needed to know the situation. 

Yeah, she has issues when it comes to my mom.  I'm hoping this will give her a chance to work through them while she still can

Jane

« Reply #134 on: July 04, 2014, 04:09:26 PM »

I didn't even fill out the application. They know me

I like that.

Jane

« Reply #135 on: July 04, 2014, 04:10:02 PM »

Yeah, she has issues when it comes to my mom.  I'm hoping this will give her a chance to work through them while she still can

If she does maybe it will help her be kinder to you.

Cillaliz

« Reply #136 on: July 04, 2014, 04:10:40 PM »

What's in a Denver omelet?

Ham, onions, peppers, sometimes mushrooms and cheese

Cillaliz

« Reply #137 on: July 04, 2014, 04:11:29 PM »

Right now she's in a nice to me phase, I'm sure it will end soon

Jane

« Reply #138 on: July 04, 2014, 04:12:12 PM »

and we take  the walk of shame out of the theatre

;D

MBarnum

« Reply #139 on: July 04, 2014, 04:12:33 PM »

Have not done any holiday celebratin' yet...but will soon. Need to go and fetch my mom and bring her into town. We are all meeting at my niece's house for dinner.

MBarnum

« Reply #140 on: July 04, 2014, 04:13:01 PM »

DR Vixmom, your movie theatre story cracked me up!

Cillaliz

« Reply #141 on: July 04, 2014, 04:14:34 PM »

I really don't want to go to Paul's party tonight, but it's Paul, so I will go.  I'm not going to stay long though.  Last night when I came home I had two puking cats and they all seemed pretty freaked out. There were lots of firecrackers and fireworks displays last night. There will be a fireworks show at the country club about 2 blocks from here tonight. Sometimes the booms shake my windows.  So I really want to be here when it happens.

MBarnum

« Reply #142 on: July 04, 2014, 04:16:17 PM »

Last night I got all of my TCM recorded movies watched, except for THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME (Charles Laughton version).

Believe it or not, I have never seen a version of this film! Don't know why. But now I must, as I have a 1960s Pakistani version to watch, and it has no subtitles...I figure if I watch an English language version of it beforehand, I will be able to follow the Pakistani version easily enough.

Cillaliz

« Reply #143 on: July 04, 2014, 04:17:14 PM »

LOL about the theater DR Vixmom, that sounds like something I would do

Jane

« Reply #144 on: July 04, 2014, 04:17:48 PM »

I found this description that pretty much fits what we had.  Ours was served with home fries.

A Denver omelette, also known as a Western omelette, is an omelette filled with diced ham, onions, and green bell peppers, though there are many variations on fillings. Often served in the midwestern United States and sometimes has a topping of cheese and a side dish of hashbrowns or fried potatoes

MBarnum

« Reply #145 on: July 04, 2014, 04:18:11 PM »

I think I may treat myself to a cocktail (or two) when I get to our family event.

Jane

« Reply #146 on: July 04, 2014, 04:18:55 PM »

We asked for extra veggies to replace the ham.  The waitress offered extra potatoes and we said, no extra veggies.  We got neither.

Jane

« Reply #147 on: July 04, 2014, 04:21:22 PM »

Ham, onions, peppers, sometimes mushrooms and cheese

While I was eating I kept thinking it needed mushrooms.  I'm not a big omelette person and I don't like my eggs well done.  Keith likes both and called these burned vs well done. 

Jane

« Reply #148 on: July 04, 2014, 04:21:51 PM »

DR Cilla I like the photo in the truck and your close up as your new avatar. 

Jane

« Reply #149 on: July 04, 2014, 04:22:37 PM »

Right now she's in a nice to me phase, I'm sure it will end soon

Vibes it doesn't end and knowing how much work you do makes her appreciate you more.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up