Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: A HOUSE IS NOT A HOME  (Read 20926 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:A HOUSE IS NOT A HOME
« Reply #180 on: September 08, 2004, 10:49:07 PM »

...PAGE

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #181 on: September 08, 2004, 10:53:31 PM »

...And now we do the Page Seven Dance...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #182 on: September 08, 2004, 11:00:25 PM »

DEAR ESTEEMED BK:

Did you ever have the opportunity to meet and chat with Ben Bagley?
Do you have any favorites among the multitude of albums said Mr. Bagley produced?

I had quite a long chat with him on the phone once, back in the Bay Cities days.  He seemed very nice - I don't remember what the chat was about.  I've enjoyed a few of his albums - the material is always fun, but I'm not-so-enamored of the sound or the arrangements.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #183 on: September 08, 2004, 11:01:31 PM »

Good Evening!

Well, I decided earlier tonight to finally buy a new mouse for my laptop.  As you may recall, I had left my other mouse at Kinko's last week.  No big loss since that mouse was already starting to die it's inevitable slow death.  So, I headed out to Best Buy to get a new one earlier tonight - well, actually, a certain DR dropped me off at the store on his way to a certain cultural event - which I'm sure certain DR will report/review at a later time.  Well...

Who knew there were so many choices now?  Good, old-fashioned wheel mouses.  Optical mouses.  Mouses with two buttons.  Mouses with four buttons.  Mouses with six(!) buttons.  Travel mouses with retractable cords.  Wireless mouses.  PS/2 and/or USB compatibility.  Etc., etc., etc.... (Ah, a King & I reference!)  I just wanted something plain jane (or plain dick, if you prefer, hmmmm... ;) ), so I settled on a basic Microsoft model - optical with two buttons and a wheel.

When I got to the register, the cashier noted that it's an "open box" item meaning that someone has returned the item, and that the item was put back on the shelf for re-sale.  And that it was in saleable condition.  (Ay, there's the rub.)  Well, since it was the last one on the shelf, I decided to take it anyway.  Additionally, I ended up getting an "open box" discount.  Nice.

Well, once I got it back home, I realized that I can't hook it up to my laptop.  The culprit: a piece of plastic has broken off in the USB connector.  Ah, well...  So it was back to Best Buy.  Walking back to Best Buy.  Walking very fast back to Best Buy since the store was closing at 9:00, and I had discovered the problem at 8:30.

I made it back to the store in record time with about 10 minutes to spare before they started closing up.  -And I wasn't even breathing that hard. ;)  Well... There was a line at the Return/Exchange counter, and the two people currently being helped apparently had some "problem returns".  So, I finally get to the register around 9:10.  I return the defective item, get a new one - which happened to cost a few dollars more.  I make sure the new one is all right - I open the package and check the connectors before walking out of the store.  So...

Well, I get back home, hook it up... And it's working.  Almost.  The wheel is not working properly.  It only wants to scroll "down" and not "up".  I tried futzing with various settings, but nothing seemed to help.  Ah, well... So, it looks like I'll be making one more trip back to Best Buy tomorrow.

I guess I am a bit frustrated, but at least the mouse is functioning basically for now, so...  At least I got my exercise!!

So, that's what I've been doing the past couple of hours.   ;D

*Hmmm... I just re-read what I just wrote, and I started changing my verb tenses.  I think.  Well... Hope I did not confuse anyone.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #184 on: September 08, 2004, 11:17:10 PM »

Ahh, the joys and frustrations of modern technology...you can't live with it and you can't just chuck it out the window.  When I scroll up with the wheel on my mouse at home, it sticks at one spot.  I'm assuming the same spot as it goes around.  It's a pain, but it still works, so I'm not ready to buy a new one...yet.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2004, 11:17:46 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Michael

« Reply #185 on: September 08, 2004, 11:23:40 PM »

I woke up suddenly about ten minutes ago to find I have electricity. I love it. And what was the first thing that I did? I came here. Well I have lots to tell and lots to pictures to post but that will be later today and attatched to tomorrows bk's notes. Now I have to start catching up on my reading of a week's worth of notes and postings.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #186 on: September 08, 2004, 11:49:03 PM »

Well I haven't got around to emptying the refrigerator yet. But will do it right now. And talking of mispronouncing words isn't "refrigerator" one of them? (It is also a common misspelled word) Come to think of it so is common a misspelled word.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #187 on: September 08, 2004, 11:50:15 PM »

I hate it when people say "revert back". I have read it in print. I have heard journalist say it. They all should no better. Especially those editors.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #188 on: September 08, 2004, 11:51:07 PM »

One last post before going back to bed.  Going to empty the "ice box". All that food gone to waste!
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #189 on: September 08, 2004, 11:52:15 PM »

Everybody's in bed, apparently.  We are surrounded by WUSSBURGERS.  Well, I'm here and I'm posting.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #190 on: September 08, 2004, 11:52:35 PM »

I cannot be stopped.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #191 on: September 08, 2004, 11:52:49 PM »

I'm on a roll.  A kaiser roll.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #192 on: September 08, 2004, 11:53:11 PM »

Have you ever seen me on a kaiser roll?  I'm cute, especially with a little mustard.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #193 on: September 08, 2004, 11:53:23 PM »

Damn them, damn them all to hell.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #194 on: September 08, 2004, 11:53:33 PM »

I am my own frenzy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #195 on: September 08, 2004, 11:53:59 PM »

Sad to be all alone in the world.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #196 on: September 08, 2004, 11:54:22 PM »

Not a good night to catch up on the news from back home in Richmond...  The damage estimates for the Shockoe Slip area of Richmond are currently at at least $2 million dollars, and will inevitably climb much higher as the safety and insurance inspectors continue their work - and that's just in one six-by-six block area!...  -Two of my favorite restaurants are among the casualties...  Some of the stories of the business owners are truly heart-breaking...  They had at least one tornado in nearby Bowling Green, and more torrential rain earlier tonight... And depending upon the path Ivan takes over the next few days... Ah, well...

On the "light side" of things, there was an observation in the local Weekly paper about how Richmond has made the national news at least three times in the past year... Isabel, the Broad Street Fire, and the recent Gaston-related flooding.  Ah, well...

Again, let's just all send Good Weather Vibes to the East Coast in general.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #197 on: September 08, 2004, 11:54:32 PM »

I'm looking forward to picking up season three of Alias - haven't been able to find it at my local "used" store - which should have them in soon.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #198 on: September 08, 2004, 11:55:05 PM »

New notes up in five count them five minutes.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #199 on: September 08, 2004, 11:55:53 PM »

I shan't post anymore until the new notes are up - except one, to say:

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: September 08, 2004, 11:56:09 PM »

And one for Mahler.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #201 on: September 08, 2004, 11:56:18 PM »

OH!  But in brighter news, my roommate just informed that a "really hot" guy has moved in next door.  :D
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #202 on: September 08, 2004, 11:58:30 PM »

Did you suggest air conditioning?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up