Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: A MADCAP FERN IN HEAT  (Read 12657 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:A MADCAP FERN IN HEAT
« Reply #150 on: September 10, 2004, 11:23:07 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Good Golly Molly! [/move]

What a lovely surprise to read all my birthday wishes! Thanks to ALL! In our family, we call this month SEPTEMBER MADNESS. As well as my birthday, there is my parents' wedding anniversary, my older brother's wedding anniversary, my younger brother's birthday, my aunt's birthday, my cousin's wedding anniversary, and just a year ago, we added my niece's son's birthday--1 year old on the 14th!

September 27th is also my sister's birthday, her ex-mother-in-law's birthday (they're both named Diane) and a friend's birthday (his name is Jeff)!  December is a busy month!! ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: September 10, 2004, 11:30:02 PM »

I'm back, and to prove it, I'm here.  I had to stop at Du-Par's and eat because with all this stuff going on and the gym I never had a chance to eat anything.  I had a bit of clam chowder, a BLTA, and a dinner salad.  My stomach must be shrinking because I filled up so quickly it shocked even me.  I'll let you know about tonight's show in the notes, but suffice it to say it was a corker, especially after last night's audience.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #152 on: September 10, 2004, 11:48:12 PM »

The theatre I went to tonight is the Colony Theatre in Burbank and the play I saw is a charming comedy called The Ladies of the Camellias, which was written and directed by Lillian Groag.  The play takes place on the eve of Eleanora Duse's Paris debut, in her signature role of Marguerite in "The Lady of the Camellias."  Lacking a theatre, Sarah Bernhardt--whose signature role also is Marguerite in "The Lady of the Camellias"--makes hers available to Madama Duse.  And thus The Ladies of the Camellias portrays the meeting of the two greatest actresses of their era.  Oh yes.  An anarchist takes the two ladies and their respective entourages hostage, too.

Although it gets a bit silly here and there, ultimately this play is a passionate love letter to The Theatre.  There's plenty of dialogue devoted to discussion of The Theatre's role in civilization and the impact it can have on people.  Although not anachronistic per se, numerous lines have been woven into the text that specifically relate to The Theatre (and broader world of the arts) today.

Actors, directors, playwrights and audiences are all the target at one point or another of some good-natured skewering.

The two leading ladies offer performances of note and they receive excellent support from the other seven members of the cast.

This is a play that could have great life in it on stock and community theatre stages.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Tomovoz

« Reply #153 on: September 10, 2004, 11:52:03 PM »

As always, I appreciate your reviews Jay. The closest some of us ever get to "kulture".
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #154 on: September 10, 2004, 11:56:36 PM »

Thank you, Dear Reader Tomovoz.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up