Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: OLD HOME WEEK  (Read 4349 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: OLD HOME WEEK
« Reply #150 on: July 12, 2014, 08:51:40 PM »

Back from a very long recording session.  Day began weirdly when I got in the motor car and saw the glove box open and the thing next to my seat open.  Yes, someone broke in my car.  They were very neat about everything - all they got was my four year old iPod (I have another in the house, so it's fine) and the quarters that I keep for meters - about eight bucks worth.  For that, I hope that creeps who did it suffer and immediate and painful death.  I'm not quite sure HOW they got in the car, either, as there was no forced entry.  I locked it when I got home last night, so either they found a way to get in via the keyless lock or maybe something's wrong with the car and it unlocked it itself, which is doubtful.  Even if I hadn't locked it, the car is supposed to automatically lock after one minute.  I'll have that checked, of course.  I really don't leave the car out overnight that much, and now I shan't ever leave it out again. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: July 12, 2014, 08:54:18 PM »

The session was very long but we got great stuff from my excellent three musicians.  The difference between them and the original people is like night and day - these pros just read it down, did the takes and that was that.  They were there for four hours and we got everything on our list plus several more.  After, the folks paying for the recording asked me how much more it would cost to have them redo everything else.  I don't think we really need to do that, as some of it was fine to begin with, but I will listen to the final mixes very carefully and maybe we'll do another two-hour session.  I know there are a couple more tracks we could probably help.  But we got quite a bit - the problem is they're so much better that it might make the rest now sound not good enough.  We shall see.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #152 on: July 12, 2014, 08:55:45 PM »

We also fixed one vocal, replaced synth strings with a much better string sound, fixed the musical director's vocals and then did his piano fixes, two of which he just couldn't quite get - the licks in this score our outrageously difficult.  I think we finally got something we can live with - the problem is he kept getting in his head about them and that just made everything worse.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #153 on: July 12, 2014, 08:56:19 PM »

In the morning, I had a bagel and two potato pancakes (homemade) - then later we had Astroburger and zucchini fries.  Amazing, as always.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #154 on: July 12, 2014, 09:06:02 PM »

the Yes concert was really  good -  this is a great venue -  the stage is in the center and rotates  and the furthest seat is 60 feet from the stage 
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #155 on: July 12, 2014, 09:06:28 PM »

I am sorry to hear  about your car break in  BK

vixmom

« Reply #156 on: July 12, 2014, 09:09:08 PM »

I can't wait to hear all about Ginny's and Richard's DN's wedding

vixmom

« Reply #157 on: July 12, 2014, 09:09:32 PM »

I hope they  had the same wonderful weather as we had here

FJL

« Reply #158 on: July 12, 2014, 09:21:15 PM »

Sorry to hear about the car break-in!

vixmom

« Reply #159 on: July 12, 2014, 09:23:34 PM »

well I have to be up in 6 1/2 hours  so goodnight

FJL

« Reply #160 on: July 12, 2014, 09:24:18 PM »

Got back from a day trip to see FIDDLER ON THE ROOF at the Goodspeed Opera House in East Haddam, CT.   A terrific production all around and since we have some friends in common, got to spend some time talking with the brilliant actor playing Tevye, the simply amazing Adam Heller, who I also saw in TITANIC in a local production in February.   

« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 09:29:03 PM by FJL »

FJL

« Reply #161 on: July 12, 2014, 09:26:07 PM »

Skip thanks everyone for the vibes for HERRINGBONE!

Here's the YouTube link for the 2-minute promo video -
HERRINGBONE (Philadelphia production) by Tom Cone, Skip Kennon & Ellen Fitzhugh
opened last night at Flashpoint Theatre
starring Ben Dibble as George Herringbone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXW0xaV3J7s

Cillaliz

« Reply #162 on: July 12, 2014, 09:49:19 PM »

Sounds like it was a wonderful Opening Night at the El Portal indeed! I wish my Friday theater-going experience was one sixteenth as good as yours last night.  It was not even close.

It was not an opening, but I was courted to see this new musical due to a friend in it. Two of us gritted our teeth through it. It was only 2 hours and 45 minutes long...zzzz. Every number was too long, tons of writing 101 mistakes all over the place and no direction (lots of bad acting class self-staging throughout). Other than that it was fine haha. But someone threw a ton of money at it and is still doing so. Lordy, can we have some of that for better projects, please??

Tonight I will be going to see the opening of that show that has the 23 yr old Applegate. Why, I ask myself? Because I have other friends in it who will be wonderful, like the lovely Cynthia Ferrer. Hopefully I will escape without strangling anyone.  :D

I long for one of those opening nights like you had last night.   :)

Oh and  HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO  CILLALIZ!!!

Thanks!!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #163 on: July 12, 2014, 09:49:37 PM »

This time on the correct day...........

Happy Birthday, Cilla!

Thanks!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #164 on: July 12, 2014, 09:50:03 PM »

DR Cillaliz, hope you had a swell birthday today!!!

Thank you, you always send the best cards!

Cillaliz

« Reply #165 on: July 12, 2014, 09:52:38 PM »

All I can say about the Derek and Julianne Hough show MOVE LIVE ON TOUR is WOW!  It was high energy, lots of dancing, some singing, audience participation and just an incredibly upbeat wonderful show.  I can't say enough good things about it had a blast!  I got some good photos, I posted a few on FB. They let you use your camera without flash.  Also got high fived by Derek both times he went up the aisle. 

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #166 on: July 12, 2014, 09:52:44 PM »

Sorry about the break-in, BK. But glad about the recording session going so well.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #167 on: July 12, 2014, 09:53:05 PM »

Went dancing for tonight. It felt good, but my muscles are sore.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Cillaliz

« Reply #168 on: July 12, 2014, 09:53:07 PM »

Post Deleted
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 09:59:14 PM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #169 on: July 12, 2014, 09:57:50 PM »

Here's the Sioux City Journal review "Hough's Wow Sioux City Audience"

SIOUX CITY | Even if you have never seen Derek and Julianne Hough on ABC’s reality show, “Dancing with the Stars,” and aren’t a big fan of dance in general, their Move on Live Tour performance Saturday at the Orpheum Theatre had everything an Ed Sullivan show could have provided, ratcheted up about three notches.

Right out of the chute, the brother-and-sister pair with 10 support dancers brought on their high-impact, aerobic workout to a medley of tunes, with a bass sound that vibrated the walls, floor and seats.

“Sioux City, you guys are awesome!” Julianne shouted at the end of the song.

“We feed off of your energy,” Derek pointed out. “So the more energy you have, the harder we will dance for you.”

The presentation showcased the legendary footwork of Derek, 29, and Julianne, who will turn 26 on July 20, which resulted in seven mirror ball trophies for the pair.

Ballroom purists may have been hoping for some “slow, slow, quick, quick” foxtrot steps or “cotton eye Joe” country moves. But the incorporation of a variety of dance styles, special effects, fabulous video projections and spectacular lighting was outstanding on a simple set that had a nine-step staircase and several large black cubes for different levels of dancing.

Derek was particularly strong in a shirtless number as were his backup male dancers with their own six-pack abs. Their moves were so precise and provocative, it was hard to decide whether to hold up a paddle (like the DWTS judges) or go out and have a cigarette.

Not to be outdone, Julianne – in a breath-taking, red sequined dress – performed a Latin dance with her support dancers. Then, Derek joined her, still shirtless, as a toreador, and they flawlessly danced a paso doble, with Derek doing some fancy twirling of Julianne’s skirt, as if he were preparing for a bullfight.

Costumes that would forgive no figure flaws were a large part of the evening, especially for Julianne, who changed numerous times. Derek served as the show’s emcee while his sister changed, but there were several times when it was the support dancers who got the chance to show off their prowess.

In addition to the dancing, Derek and Julianne showed off their vocal chops in a mesmerizing, harmonizing duet of “Say Something.”

What really tickled the crowd was a rendition of “Anything You Can Do (I Can Do Better)," illustrating their numerous career achievements and a quick comparison to another Utah brother/sister act, Donny and Marie Osmond.

Even the audience got into the act as Derek pulled Kansas Cityan Marisa Parkhurst, formerly of Bancroft, Iowa, out to move in the aisle to “Mustang Sally.”

“I texted my husband and told him I danced with Derek Hough,” she said.

His response?

“He wondered if he was single,” she said with a laugh.

Again, not to be outdone, Julianne got several men on stage, including Freddie Linden, 11, of McCook Lake, S.D., who said he could now die and go to heaven.

“We usually don’t bring children on stage,” Julianne assured the crowd and possibly toned down the gyrations a bit as she danced with the young man, who turns 12 on Tuesday and enters sixth grade at Dakota Valley school in the fall.

One would think after nonstop dancing – even the slower moves had intensity and athleticism – the finale would give everyone a chance to catch their breath, but the dancers knocked it out of the ballpark – literally throwing huge, white beach balls into the audience.

They ended the evening emphasizing their theme of “Motion = Emotion” and urged everyone to dare to be inspired by what they love.

It was clear in a 90-minute show, the Houghs have plenty of motion, emotion and inspiration

Cillaliz

« Reply #170 on: July 12, 2014, 10:11:57 PM »

This photo is from the dance that made the reviewer think she may need to go get a cigarette, lol.  I got some really good shots tonight, this was one of them

Cillaliz

« Reply #171 on: July 12, 2014, 10:17:31 PM »

Sorry about your car, BK

Cillaliz

« Reply #172 on: July 12, 2014, 10:18:20 PM »

Time for bed.  Night all
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up