Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A MADCAP FERN IN HEAT  (Read 12698 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
A MADCAP FERN IN HEAT
« on: September 09, 2004, 11:59:46 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've pranced about whilst reading the notes, and now you are ready to post until the madcap cows come home after their evening with fern.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2004, 12:00:09 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:A MADCAP FERN IN HEAT
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 12:18:06 AM »

I did read the notes, yes. But no prancing was involved.
George Lucas is on TV (Charlie Rose) as I write this. He has great hair! This is a man with major hair.
DVD player - I VITELLONI about which I posted a few days ago. Great. (But nobody with hair as great as George's.)
CD - Bill Evans - Conversations with Myself
VCR - unplugged

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 12:36:21 AM »

Oops (spoo, spelled backwards) we got us a birthday to celebrate.  Notes are being amended.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 12:46:27 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Donna.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 12:56:27 AM »

Last night I saw a documentary motion picture entitled Los Angeles Plays Itself.  This comprehensive film (2 hours and 49 minutes, plus an intermission) takes as its subject the depiction of Los Angeles in cinema.  Part one is devoted to Los Angeles as background, and part two is devoted to Los Angeles as subject.

The film is fascinating.  One sees familiar landmarks such as L.A. City Hall and the Bradbury Building in numerous clips, as well as more mundane locations used to establish the atmosphere of L.A. in its various incarnations.  Quite a few noir films are highlighted, such as Mildred Pierce, The Postman Always Rings Twice and Double Indemnity, as well as lesser known titles.  Blade Runner, too, and many of its imitators (most of them poor) are given ample clip time.

In part two Chinatown, of course, and L.A. Confidential are showcased, along with several other films in which L.A. truly does play a character.

The filmmaker's narration is filled with sardonic wit, which keeps the audience engaged and provides a good pace to the film.  Some of the transitions are a bit jarring, however, and at the end of the film the narration gets waaaaay too preachy for me.  
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 12:58:38 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 01:03:44 AM »

DVD"  Chaplin in "The Kid"
CD:  Most recently played: Pussycat "Mississippi'.

VCR: The first episode of this season's "Six Feet Under".  We get to see the first one just as the series ends for you guys.  From recent comments it sounds like the series should have ended after series 3. I've had to line up friends to try and remember to copy the show for the next six  weeks.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 02:19:29 AM »

Good Evening!  Good Morning!

-I went back to Best Buy, and got a new mouse for my laptop - again.  And it works this time! :)

-I got my hair cut.  It was a little strange and nice feeling the air on my scalp again.  And it's sooo much cooler in this hotter weather.

-I had dinner - sushi.

-I played the "strange show" tonight.

-I took the Metro back to Pasadena.  On my first leg, the driver ended up overshooting a station - he put the brakes on a little late.  So, he ended up skipping it.  On my second leg, the train was running about 15 minutes late.  But I made it back very close to my usual time.

-Oh, and I think I may have exchanged four quarters for a dollar bill with a "professional woman" so that she could call her next "client" or someone else. ;)

More in the morning.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2004, 04:06:34 AM »

Good morning to you JRand.  If Ben and Michael S arrive on the board I will know I should be bound for bed.. This is a family site - not the same as bound in bed.
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2004, 04:11:54 AM »

I think the Abraham Lincoln audiotronics display was for the Illinois exhibit, NOT the Indiana one - but I don't know for sure.

Yes, DR DiT - last night was opening night.  We got LOTS of laughs, but I am in agreement with MR BK here.   But of course, those are really the ONLY people I deal with here....the non-professional (not at the Phoenix in Indy, of course).  LEARN YOUR LINES.....your ad libs are NOT clever and they did NOT get us out of trouble....YOU got us into trouble to begin with my skipping, leaving out, and otherwise mangling the lines in that scene!  GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

DR MS lovely photos....and a lovely photo from DRLAURA.  DRMATTH is doing a wonderful Jane Russell in UNDERWATER impression there!

Work today - but off tomorrow!  How Grand To Do Nothing Until Going To The Theatre To Sell Tickets At 5 p.m.

My mother, two of my sisters, and some friends from High School (!) are coming to see the show tonight!

I hope the CD and book boxes are clearly marked!

Thanks to DRMBARNUM for some lovely Allison Hayes photos!  Whew!  Next Tuesday will mark the HHW debut of Miss Hayes in the daring two-piece swimsuit!  ....for those not interested in wine bottles!

DVD - a foreign import, EL CID, widescreen and stereo....good buy at $12!
CD - Jeepers Creepers!
VCR - The Perry Como Show, courtesy DR MBARNUM!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2004, 04:32:29 AM »

Hello and goodnight DR Tom.

Hello and off to work with you DRJrand.

Lovely pics DR Michael.

Nothing in the VCR. Channel 21 seems to go into fundraising mode about every 3 weeks so no Two's Company.

CD at work. I listened to the fun Golden Rainbow yesterday. Today I will listen to a 1972 television special, S'Wonderful, S'Marvelous, S'Gershwin with Jack Lemmon, Fred Astaire, Leslie Uggams, Peter Nero, Larry Kert, Linda Bennett and Robert Guillaume. Anthony was finally able to get this great piece onto CD. I taped it on cassette many years ago but the quality isn't so good. I haven't listened to it in years so I'm looking foward to that. It was broadcast on NBC as part of Bell System Family Theatre. It won an Emmy for Outstanding Single Program, Variety or Musical Variety and Popular Music and it won a Peabody Award. When we go back to Museum of Television and Radio I need to see if they have a copy. I would love to see it again.

I will also listen to some BBC radio programs I missed over my vacation.

I have to work tomorrow (Saturday) for most of the day but then I will be joining friends (Anthony will be on Long Island) for a night of food and bowling. Nice break from the work ethic.

Happy Birthday Donna!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 05:00:30 AM by Ben »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2004, 04:55:38 AM »

Donna - Happy Birthday!!!!!!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2004, 05:00:14 AM »

JRand54,

Have an excellent show tonight.

How did the open-fly scene go?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2004, 06:00:32 AM »

LOL....

Oh, Happy Birthday, DRDONNA!  So sorry to have neglected you in my FPOD (first post of the day).

DiT- the open fly scene went well....of course I am walking around singing 'Venus in Blue Jeans' at the time, so it could have been my singing that was getting the response.

Oh and we did get a nice standing ovation....so thanks for the vibes everyone....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2004, 06:02:20 AM »

Oh some man stayed afterwards to tell me that he used to like to come to our theatre BEFORE we started using all the bad language - we are terrible people....and on and on and on....  I just said "Thanks for coming, sorry you didn't like it...."  And of course I wanted to say: "You should hear what we left out, you twit.  Stay home, we don't need your eight dollars!"

William E. Lurie

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2004, 06:07:53 AM »

Yes the Lincoln exhibit was in the Illinois Pavillion - The Land of Lincoln.  It was then moved to Disneyland where in the days before one price covered everything it was the only exhibit that did not require an A, B, C, D or E ticket.

CD - The demo of BROOKLYN - THE MUSICAL.  Based on the demo I think I'll skip the show.  It's one of those shows with a rock score for people who prefer rock to show music, and to me it sounds more like shouting than singing.

DVD - The second volume of MY LITTLE MARGIE.  That show is more consistantly funny than any sitcom on the air today (or in the last twenty years).

VHS - Nothing

Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2004, 06:11:40 AM »

For DR Stuart:

Karen was voted off Big Brother last night.

Here is the live show summary from last night:

http://www.tvrules.net/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=5788

Jennifer

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2004, 06:24:22 AM »

DR Jane, re: talking on the phone while eating.

I have actually never heard of anyone calling someone while eating.  But I've also never heard of anyone using the computer while eating either. :)

I think I agree with DR Jay on this one. I'd wait till you finished to call.  But if someone calls you, then I think it's perfectly fine to give them the option of you calling them back.

The only person I really talk to when I'm eating dinner is my sister (she sometimes calls while I'm eating).

I suppose it really shouldn't feel much different than talking to people at the dinner table.  But I don't have a hands free. So for me it's a bit awkward to talk and hold the phone at the same time. :)

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2004, 06:25:38 AM »

Thank you, thank you, thank you (that's three thank you's), DR Jennifer.

Media Check:
CD/Car: Nothing.  Was listening to radio for a change.....
CD/Office: Christiane Noll: "A Broadway Love Story"
DVD: Empty
VCR:  Unfortunately NOT a tape of last night's BB5.  Totally forgot to set the thing!

MBarnum

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2004, 06:57:02 AM »

DR Stuart, you didn't miss much on BB5. It was just sad. My Karen left, and she was quite emotional.

I am hoping Nikomas will win.

MBarnum

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2004, 07:00:20 AM »

Media check:

VCR: A movie I taped off of TCM yesterday. Don't recall what it was, but I am sure it will be good. LOL!

DVD: An episode of Addams Family and an episode of HAWAIIAN EYE, both with Laurie Mitchell guest starring. I taped them and made a DVDr for her. I had forgotten how darn funny The Addams Family is...I was laughing my head off!

CD: Nothing, but I have been listening to a very relaxing cassette tape (remember those) of some music by our own DR JMK.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2004, 07:04:42 AM »

Speaking of which - DR JMK- Frances Farmer Archivist - there is already a pretty good book about Communist party activities in Hollywood during the 1940's...it is called Hollywood Party and Frances is mentioned a bit, though her story is NOT dwelt upon.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2004, 07:20:31 AM »

Do I understand, JRand, that you read and liked Hollywood Party?  This was a book I picked up in a Borders and decided not to buy, as it seemed to accept the premise that secret subversive messages were inserted into Hollywood films of the 40s and 50s.  But if I was wrong to overlook it, I'd love to know.

Below is from the Amazon.com review:

Billingsley works to fill in some of the historical gaps with Hollywood Party. The information on the role of Communist (and Communist- sympathetic) screenwriters is not particularly revelatory to those familiar with the basic outlines of the story, although Billingsley pushes the Communist angle hard, noting the Party's lockstep support of Stalin and what might charitably be called his "policies," as well as the vicious backlash against any leftist who spoke out against the Communists. His chronicle of Communist efforts to control the studio workers' unions, however, illuminates a less glamorous but perhaps more substantial aspect of the story. Those in search of celebrity dirt will be mildly disappointed; there are several star-studded scenes, but mostly mild anecdotes on the level of Ronald Reagan's gradual realization that, as an SAG activist, he was being played for a dupe by the Reds. Unless, that is, Billingsley is writing about a Communist or a fellow traveler, in which case no personal quirk, from screenwriter Dalton Trumbo's penchant for working in his bathtub to Bertolt Brecht's lack of hygiene to left-wing journalist Ella Winter's mannishly short hair, is overlooked
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2004, 07:59:33 AM »

DR MBarnum, I also was a HUGE fan of THE ADDAMS FAMILY on TV. I always thought it was funnier and wittier than THE MUNSTERS, but almost all of my friends preferred THE MUNSTERS. THE MUNSTERS recently got a first season DVD boxed set. I'm hoping the same treatment awaits THE ADDAMS FAMILY.

DR JRand - Jane Russell? My gosh, I've been compared to Quasimodo and even Alfred E. Newman, but never Jane Russell. Not sure if I'm flattered or offended.  :D

DR Tomovoz - I know lots of people did not like this season of SIX FEET UNDER. I can't say that overall it equals the first or third seasons, but I honestly enjoyed it for the most part, got pulled into the storylines even of characters I've never been fond of (like Rico), and got very involved with Nate's somewhat endless plunge into despair and then confused trouble. I know some folks simply gave up on the show halfway through this season. You couldn't ave torn me away from it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2004, 08:00:38 AM »

Well, no DRNoel - the review is accurate.  The book does have an agenda that is pushed but not particularly convincing in its argument.  It just put Frances' story in context with the other activities around her, rather than isolating her actions.  And I think, as DRJMK will attest, much of the story remains untold.  

HOLLYWOOD PARTY is a lite read rather than a reference - and I think I got it for a couple of bucks at Half Price Books.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2004, 08:03:02 AM »

Friday Media Check:

CD - NUNCRACKERS (OCR)

DVD - POINT BREAK
          ROCKY AND BULLWINKLE - Season 2 - disc 1B

DVR - last night's JOEY premiere
         SHADOW OF THE THIN MAN
         ANOTHER THIN MAN
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2004, 08:11:28 AM »

DR MBarnum, I also was a HUGE fan of THE ADDAMS FAMILY on TV. I always thought it was funnier and wittier than THE MUNSTERS, but almost all of my friends preferred THE MUNSTERS. THE MUNSTERS recently got a first season DVD boxed set. I'm hoping the same treatment awaits THE ADDAMS FAMILY.

For some reason I have always liked The Munsters more then the Addams Family. I don't know why, but really I think that both shows are hilarious. The thing with The Munsters, and also with Gilligan's Island and Mr. Ed, is the casting...if they had cast different performers I really believe the shows would be terribly unfunny...some of the jokes could end up being very corny if not for the talented actors and actresses, they really hit the jackpot with the people who ended up in the various roles...and I would say that is why these shows are still on reruns even today.

And yes I would most welcome an Addams Family DVD set!

Jennifer

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2004, 08:12:43 AM »

BK, re: Thursday night's Must See Tv

I think most people like to watch Survivor and the Apprentice live cause otherwise the results will be spoilied.  A lot of radio shows and newspapers talk about the results the next morning (not to mention the people who talk about it).

MBarnum

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2004, 08:14:25 AM »

And speaking of Gilligan's Island....I had a dream last night that my younger brother Dan, and I and Tina Louise drove up from Medford to visit my stepmother and father (who is actually deceased) in Roseburg. Tina was very nice in my dream although we had some disagreement in that I wanted to leave early Sunday morning for the drive home and she didn't want to leave until late afternoon! LOL!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2004, 08:17:08 AM »

When I came back from my walk this morning the turtle was sitting in front of my door - on top of the Sunday NY Times my landlady had left me. I guess he wanted to catch up on the news.
When I came in I took a photo of Abie, who was looking very noble.

Jennifer

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2004, 08:20:44 AM »

DR Stuart, you didn't miss much on BB5. It was just sad. My Karen left, and she was quite emotional.

I am hoping Nikomas will win.

I think Jennifer will be gone this week unless she wins the veto.  I like the idea that it will be a live veto comp (or is it just a live meeting?) and then live eviction on Tuesday. It will not give people much time to think.

I was actually not sorry to see Karen go. Although after seeing how she played the game (seeing all those diary sessions yesterday and last week where she explained herself),  I think she was a very good player. And I give her credit for being much smarter than she originally seemed.

With Drew as HOH I will be interested to see if he nominates Cowboy or Diane (since he promised them both he would take them to final two). Who do you guys think he will keep his promise with? I think diane (but I am annoyed he promised cowboy).

I think he will put cowboy up, and tell him that he would not have him vote out his sister. Cowboy will believe that.

I also think that since Drew knows both Cowboy and Diane will take him to final two, that he won't try to win the final HOH. I wonder if that will happen next tuesday after the eviction? (or probably they will start it and we will have to hear about what happens on the feeds).

« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 08:23:48 AM by Jennifer »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up