Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: A DAY OF PREPARATION  (Read 5432 times)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
Re: A DAY OF PREPARATION
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2014, 11:50:59 AM »

Larry, don't be too hard on yourself for clicking when you shouldn't have. These things are designed to look like the real thing and can be extremely deceptive. Believe me, we ALL make that mistake sometimes.

ANTI-SPYWARE VIBES to Larry and all other DRs!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2014, 12:02:27 PM »

My oven is screwed up. Still. The pilot light refuses to work, and I need to track down the super.  It worked while the repairman was here, so I'm assuming the problems is me and not the oven's pilot light.

Larry and I both seem to be caught in the REPAIRED-BUT-STILL-NOT-FIXED vortex. I am reminded that repairpersons should test appliances before they leave and be sure that said appliances work for the tenants, not just the repairpersons. In the case of "my" plumber, I'm always anxious to see the back of him. When he says, "I KNOW it's fixed" I tend to cave because I'm not eager to fight with him. But I KNOW he's a jerk and not necessarily correct.

ChasSmith

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2014, 12:07:58 PM »

My oven is screwed up. Still. The pilot light refuses to work, and I need to track down the super.  It worked while the repairman was here, so I'm assuming the problems is me and not the oven's pilot light.

Larry and I both seem to be caught in the REPAIRED-BUT-STILL-NOT-FIXED vortex. I am reminded that repairpersons should test appliances before they leave and be sure that said appliances work for the tenants, not just the repairpersons. In the case of "my" plumber, I'm always anxious to see the back of him. When he says, "I KNOW it's fixed" I tend to cave because I'm not eager to fight with him. But I KNOW he's a jerk and not necessarily correct.

Join the party, everyone!  Come one, come all!  I'm taking the car back to the dealer next week because one of the three things they "fixed" last time isn't fixed at all.  (Disclaimer:  They do have a perfect 12-year track record with me prior to this, so...)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2014, 12:10:38 PM »

Although I've never been one to put bones down garbage disposals, I've known many people who do so regularly with no problems. I usually purchase medium-grade disposals for my homes. They last 10-15 years and I have little or no problems. I've been in this apartment for four years. This is the second time the disposal has been replaced. Both kitchen and bathroom faucets have been replaced and started looking old and worn in less than a year. I believe it's because they buy the cheapest items available. There may have been a time when you could do that, but today so much is coming from China and much of it is poor quality. False economy, IMO. 

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2014, 12:12:31 PM »

Join the party, everyone!  Come one, come all!  I'm taking the car back to the dealer next week because one of the three things they "fixed" last time isn't fixed at all.  (Disclaimer:  They do have a perfect 12-year track record with me prior to this, so...)

Oh, groan! I'm so sorry to hear this, Chas. Vibes it's perfect this time!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2014, 12:15:14 PM »

JRand is the resident expert on celestial happenings, but this sure looks Mercury retrogradish to me!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2014, 12:16:59 PM »

On a happier note, I recently discovered the BBC series DEATH IN PARADISE. Quite fun. A lighthearted crime series with a very uptight British detective living on a very relaaxxxxed Caribbean island.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2014, 12:18:18 PM »

George, you'll have to let us know how you like (or not) THE GRAND BUDAPEST HOTEL.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2014, 12:20:32 PM »

Singdaw, I'd forgotten how relaxing yoga classes can be. My first one was like that. I've taken others that were not. They seem to vary quite a bit depending on the instructor. Glad you're enjoying it.

Laura

« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2014, 12:21:16 PM »

Good afternoon. It was 90 degrees when I hit the trail at 5:15 a.m. this morning. But it has been cloudy, so it wasn't bad.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Ginny

« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2014, 12:24:09 PM »

On a happier note, I recently discovered the BBC series DEATH IN PARADISE. Quite fun. A lighthearted crime series with a very uptight British detective living on a very relaaxxxxed Caribbean island.

New season has a new British detective.  We prefer the old one.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2014, 12:24:28 PM »

I quite liked THE BEST OFFER. I always enjoy Geoffrey Rush and I usually enjoy Donald Sutherland (not his best performance, IMO). This was a concept that I thought might not work, but did. 

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2014, 12:25:19 PM »

New season has a new British detective.  We prefer the old one.

Yes, I like the old one, too.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2014, 12:27:46 PM »

TOD:

Reading THE DEVIL'S COMPANY (David Liss).

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2014, 12:30:09 PM »

Last year, for some reason, I started four or five books that just didn't hold my interest. I put them aside, but am now going through that pile and deciding whether to try again or toss. (David Liss is NOT in that category!)

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2014, 12:31:02 PM »

I think that's enough of me.

TTFN, kids.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #76 on: July 19, 2014, 12:40:24 PM »

bank from the soup kitchen.  I think I am going to try and convince Vixdad to take me out for icecream
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #77 on: July 19, 2014, 12:41:02 PM »

Anti Virus Vibes for Elmore 

Ginny

« Reply #78 on: July 19, 2014, 12:43:31 PM »

bank from the soup kitchen.  I think I am going to try and convince Vixdad to take me out for icecream

Well, tomorrow is National Ice Cream Day, after all...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

vixmom

« Reply #79 on: July 19, 2014, 12:43:35 PM »

Looking forward to tomorrow

Ginny

« Reply #80 on: July 19, 2014, 12:48:52 PM »

Mary Linda arrived about 10:30 with a carload and Allie (cat).  Rob followed about 90 minutes later in the U-haul truck with 3 helpers (2 paid, 1 volunteer friend).  Everything was unloaded by 1:30 and we had lunch from The Jug.  The helpers left, Rob went to return the truck and pick up some odds & ends from the apartment, and Mary Linda went to buy a baby kitty gate for the top of the stairs.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: July 19, 2014, 12:58:05 PM »

Mary Linda arrived about 10:30 with a carload and Allie (cat).  Rob followed about 90 minutes later in the U-haul truck with 3 helpers (2 paid, 1 volunteer friend).  Everything was unloaded by 1:30 and we had lunch from The Jug.  The helpers left, Rob went to return the truck and pick up some odds & ends from the apartment, and Mary Linda went to buy a baby kitty gate for the top of the stairs.

I haven't been to The jug since about 1977 or so when one of my nephews or nieces worked there for the summer.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: July 19, 2014, 01:06:33 PM »

In my reading, i am currently stuck in England in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. I'm running through Anne Perry's Charlotte and Thomas Pitt mysteries, and I'm up to the tenth or so, Bethlehem Road. I like the recurring characters a lot, especially Charlotte's sister Emily and her great-aunt Vespasia.

For my bus reading, I've got Georgiana and I am currently in thrall with Longbourn, which is a spin on Pride and Prejudice from the viewpoint of the servants, Hill, Mrs. Hill, Polly, Sarah, and James, the Downstairs to Austen's Upstairs. It's much grubbier and grittier than Austen.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: July 19, 2014, 01:08:17 PM »

Anti Virus Vibes for Elmore 

I think I am okay now.

Ginny

« Reply #84 on: July 19, 2014, 01:09:48 PM »

I haven't been to The jug since about 1977 or so when one of my nephews or nieces worked there for the summer.

It hasn't changed much...

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #85 on: July 19, 2014, 01:10:22 PM »

DR Jane,

Thanks for the Recommends!!!!

Let me know if you decide to read any of them.  If you join Goodreads my last name is Lassner.

Jane

« Reply #86 on: July 19, 2014, 01:12:48 PM »

Although I've never been one to put bones down garbage disposals, I've known many people who do so regularly with no problems. I usually purchase medium-grade disposals for my homes. They last 10-15 years and I have little or no problems. I've been in this apartment for four years. This is the second time the disposal has been replaced. Both kitchen and bathroom faucets have been replaced and started looking old and worn in less than a year. I believe it's because they buy the cheapest items available. There may have been a time when you could do that, but today so much is coming from China and much of it is poor quality. False economy, IMO. 

I'm sure the quality they use is the cheapest they can find.

Jane

« Reply #87 on: July 19, 2014, 01:14:08 PM »

My brother likes this show.  I don't believe we get it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: July 19, 2014, 01:14:59 PM »

And on even better news, my replacement for the senior citizen Metrocard I lost on July 4  arrived in today's post with a shipment of CDs from Amazon.co.uk. What fun!

Jane

« Reply #89 on: July 19, 2014, 01:16:04 PM »

I didn't know you are going to have a cat living with you.  I hope there will be lots of photos.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up