Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: INSTALLING THE NIPPLE  (Read 12350 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:INSTALLING THE NIPPLE
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2004, 07:57:07 AM »

And for those who are interested, Randy Newman won the Best Song Emmy last night for "It's a Jungle Out There" from MONK.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2004, 07:57:26 AM »

Favorite Mancini:

All of the scores that BK mentioned are great--it seems that Audrey Hepburn was a muse for him (I would have to throw Charade into the mix.)

And Mancini also wrote one of my favorite TV sitcom themes--the theme to Newhart.

I too love the theme to Newhart.

I associate Henry Mancini not only with Audrey Hepburn, but also with Radio City Music Hall - Wait Until Dark, Charade, Breakfast at Tiffany's. Other Music Hall-Mancini movies include The Great Race and Dear Heart. Add the themes and songs from both to my long list of favorites.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2004, 08:05:08 AM »

Yes, Monk won.  It's too bad that Monk got the new theme because Grant would have won otherwise.  I know how these things work and it has very little to do with the music and very much to do with name recognizability, and the combo platter of Monk and Newman was probably not beatable, even though Two and a Half Men is a bigger hit.

Danise

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2004, 08:08:14 AM »

I'm back!  I was right in the middle of a post and the power went out!

I also discovered some very bad news.  My fish passed away.  I guess all the trama of being moved back and forth was to much for him after all.  

I'm very sad.  I won't get another one.  It's to cruel to them.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 08:13:54 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2004, 08:10:05 AM »

If the hugeness of a "hit" were a barometer for Emmy, then "Friends" should have won tons of them instead of the paltry few the show picked up over its lifespan.

Conversely, "Picket Fences" is one of the most-honored series in TV history, yet did it ever even break the top 10?

Just food for thought...

Mancini:  I adore "Two for the Road" in its entirety, but the song is gorgeousity itself!

I love many of the songs mentioned, especially "Dear Heart" plus one I don't recall seeing:  "Wait Until Dark"!

"Who cares how cold and grey the day may be
Wait until dark and we'll be warm...."
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 08:11:38 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2004, 08:23:21 AM »

The Sunday NY Times is loaded with ads for upcoming openings. The first thing I noticed is that the ads are not what they used to be. The design for the original La Cage aux folles was far cleverer than the full-page pink ad for the revival; and the one for Little Women spells b-o-r-i-n-g.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2004, 08:26:41 AM »

Well, MONK has the fate of being shown on USA, a basic cable channel and not available to as much a mass audience as TWO AND A HALF MEN on CBS.  Not really fair to compare their hit status as the situations aren't really comparable. MONK was the highest rated basic cable show this past summer.

John Turturro won as Guest Actor in a Comedy Series for playing Monk's even more phobic brother in a wonderful episode from Season2.

Emily

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2004, 08:28:26 AM »

Has anyone listened to the audio clips on the Little Women website?

Booooorrrriinnngg... and the lyrics are cliche after cliche :(
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2004, 08:46:32 AM »

Okay, the tenting people are here and I must leave and do errands.  I'll be arriving at the hotel at noon and will post as soon as I get the computer hooked up.  Keep the home fries burning.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2004, 09:13:03 AM »

Oh, gosh, I forgot about "Dear Heart" which I also love. In fact, in high school, I made up my own medley of Mancini hits to play when asked: "Moon River," "The Sweetheart Tree," and "Dear Heart."

Has RCA issued TWO FOR THE ROAD's Mancini score album on CD? I certainly played it and CHARADE until they were worn out on LP.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2004, 09:26:30 AM »

I'm not sure this is the best day to list Mancini favorites, as my mind is focussed on Ebb.

Two I forgot to mention that I'm very fond of: There Goes the Ballgame and Dear Love - one of my favorite Valentine's Day songs.  My Funny Valentine, you know, is most decidedly NOT a Valentine's Day song, just like What Are You Doing New Year's Eve was meant NOT to be sung anywhere near December.

But start those Saul Bass credits on Two for the Road - I only need to hear Mancini's vamp (the inverted arpeggios) and I'm bawling.  Incredibly emotional stuff.

Re: Little Women
Unless I'm mistaken, there's a behind-the-scenes tale of evil producers screwing good writers and I don't want to get this wrong, so if somebody can correct this story, do:

Among the best of my BMI classmates was Allison Hubbard, who, some years ago, wrote a musical of Little Women.  She was elated when it was optioned for Broadway.  Then came the waiting game, as the producers took the long time it inevitably takes to raise money.  Somewhere during this process, the producers decided that the score wasn't good.  Had to be replaced.  Allison and her composer were fired and new songwriters were brought in, because, you know, those producers though Little Women would make a wonderful musical.
It's very rare for me to wish ill on a new production, but I hope these producers lose every penny.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2004, 09:29:23 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....

Have a great trip Tom & Colin.  

Ben and Anthony on the MidWay!  Sounds like a Road picture.

Mancini....hmmmmmmmmm.....most of my favorites have been mentioned.  BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S of course - that wacky Rusty Troller!

HATARI and THE PINK PANTHER.....

I especially love some of the songs from DARLING LILI....a couple mentioned already....WHISTLING.....

PETER GUNN is wonderful....but like a couple of other DR's, I am intrigued and enthralled by CHARADE!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2004, 09:56:20 AM »

The Sunday NY Times is loaded with ads for upcoming openings. The first thing I noticed is that the ads are not what they used to be. The design for the original La Cage aux folles was far cleverer than the full-page pink ad for the revival; and the one for Little Women spells b-o-r-i-n-g.

I've felt that for a long time that B'way poster designs have become boring.  I guessing that this is due to the need to distill any ad design into an easily recognizable logo, that can be further marketed and licensed (a la Cats, which probably started this trend.)

Aside, from James McMullen's Lincoln Center posters, how many B'way posters can be truthfully appreciated as art during the past twenty years or so?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2004, 10:04:23 AM »

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn and The Apple Tree are two of my favorite scores.  I also recently listened to Purlie, and found it intriguing, but a student of mine read the book and was horrified.

I'm pretty happy with these Encores! choices.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2004, 10:06:59 AM »

I'm back!  I was right in the middle of a post and the power went out!

I also discovered some very bad news.  My fish passed away.  I guess all the trama of being moved back and forth was to much for him after all.  

I'm very sad.  I won't get another one.  It's to cruel to them.

DR Danise, I never kept fish, but I remember hearing friends that do saying that many species are very sensitive to changes in air pressure (which is strange, since they're underwater.)  With all the hurricane weather you've been having down there, it's possible that the up-and-down barometric pressures ill-effected him more than the moving back-and-forth.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2004, 10:14:24 AM »

Danise, I'm sorry to hear about your fish. I know he was special to you. He couldn't have had a better owner.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2004, 10:14:54 AM »

On the topic o' the day:

My favorite Mancini theme is "Baby Elephant Walk."  I can't help but smile each time I hear it.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2004, 10:16:06 AM »

A Tree Grows In Brooklyn and The Apple Tree are two of my favorite scores.  I also recently listened to Purlie, and found it intriguing, but a student of mine read the book and was horrified.

Purlie was my first B'way show.  I wasn't into musical theatre then (I was about 11 or 12), so I didn't pay an overwhelming amount of interest in it.  I was more excited about having seen the studio where Concentration was taped on the NBC tour.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2004, 10:27:12 AM »

DR Danise, sorry about your fish.  I've enjoyed hearing your stories about him.

Did anyone who watches the Apprentice happen to catch the 2 hour version that was on Saturday night?

It was very interesting. It had the same show as last Thursday, but with an extended 50 minute board room.

I wish the show could always be like that.

It was interesting to see how the show was edited.  And I found it very interesting for that reason alone.

I actually didn't really care for the first show. I found it boring (they basically did nothing).  But I liked it much more after seeing the extended show.

Jennifer

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2004, 10:28:23 AM »

Oh wow, some interesting goings on in the Big Brother house last night.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2004, 10:36:08 AM »

Did anyone who watches the Apprentice happen to catch the 2 hour version that was on Saturday night?

I'm skipping the show this time.  From the promos and sneak peaks I've seen, it looks like it's been "casted" with actrons more interested in making drama and a name for themselves than with anyone who actually wants to start a career in the business world.  
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2004, 11:11:06 AM »

There's got to be more to this than we know.  Horrified by the book to Purlie?  Why?

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2004, 11:13:28 AM »

TOD: I've always had a fond spot for the Theme from The Molly Maguires.  Mancini was able to evoke a time and place different from ours quite well with that one.  Too bad the film wasn't any near as good.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2004, 11:17:56 AM »

We need more details about this nipple.  Is it simple rubber, or is it silicon?  Is it to help provide air conditioning only, or is it also a heat teat?  Will it sag in years to come, wither and droop away, to be replaced yet again by something firmer and more supple?

We deserve to be kept abreast of these things!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2004, 11:22:11 AM »

Mancini favorites:  "Victor/Victoria," "Breakfast at Tiffany's" "The Pink Panther" and "Days of Wine and Roses."

Of course, I don't know the difference between his "actual film scores rather than his album re-recordings" so I can't comment on that.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 11:34:52 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2004, 11:33:43 AM »

Sometimes, things that are written with the best intentions in one era, regarding race, sound simplistic and even prejudiced 30 years later.

My student, a young black woman, was horrified to read the book of Purlie, with its slovenly black men and their doormat girlfriends.  As I said, the show may have been written with the best of intentions, but the Encores! people are going to have to alter the book to make it play with contemporary audiences

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2004, 11:57:40 AM »

Trivia Questions

Of the three Encores productions (Purlie, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Apple Tree):

This actor starred in the original production of one, and appeared in the original production of the play on which another was based.

This actor appeared in the original production of one, and in two original productions by the composer and lyricist of another.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2004, 12:32:16 PM »

Bonus trivia question.

Of the three upcoming Encores shows, name this one:

(a) its composer and lyricist
(b) wrote the music for a show
(c)  that starred an actor
(d) who co-starred in a musical
(e) with an actress
(f) who had a memorable scene in a movie
(g) featuring the star of (a)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2004, 12:46:19 PM »

Trivia Questions

Of the three Encores productions (Purlie, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Apple Tree):

This actor starred in the original production of one, and appeared in the original production of the play on which another was based.

This actor appeared in the original production of one, and in two original productions by the composer and lyricist of another.

Are these two different questions?  The first actor would be Alan Alda.  Nothing is yet ringing a bell with the second.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2004, 12:49:04 PM »

If you missed TIGER CRUSIE it will be on again September 20th.

Panni, thank you.  You didn’t answer the question yourself.   I’m sure at times my attempts to make a difference were not appreciated, but at least they weren’t harmful.   ;D

Jose, first a sad story then a funny one to return our smiles to us.  People helping others in L.A, doesn’t surprise me at all.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up