Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MOVING DAY  (Read 9869 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
MOVING DAY
« on: September 16, 2004, 12:03:45 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've moved the notes, the notes have moved you, and now it is time to post until the cows have moved home.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2004, 12:06:11 AM by bk »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:MOVING DAY
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2004, 12:23:12 AM »

I once lived in a hotel for a two week period that felt like an eternity, but that's probably not what you're asking about.  

Shortest time at one place:  My ex and I bought a fixer house in the Hollywood Hills, moved in, remodeled while we lived there, sold it and moved out all within seven months.  Ironically, we really liked the place, too.  

Longest:  My stay at my current abode, which is going on four years, is the longest I've lived anywhere besides the apartment in Brooklyn in which I, Dear Reader Stuart, the brother we share (who must have been mixed up with another infant in the maternity ward), the Dear Mother and, until our parents divorced, the Dear Father lived.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2004, 12:24:41 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 12:29:08 AM »

Good Evening!  Good Morning!

The longest I've ever lived in one place...  Well, I've been in my current apartment in Richmond for about two years and a couple of months by now, and that's the longest place I've had on my own.  Otherwise, family-house-wise, the place we had in Arlington, VA, when my dad got transferred to Coast Guard HQ in DC.  We were there for a good nine to ten years.

Shortest... Hmmm... We did live in a Navy Lodge in Port Angeles, WA, for about two weeks when I was eight or nine years old.  Then we had one place in Seattle for about nine months, before moving to another house in Seattle for about a year before my Dad got transferred to Connecticut.  *This was my musical-chairs-fourth-grade year - at least four schools in the first semester!  One school for only a week!

And I'd have to say that I'd call the city of Richmond "home" since I started school there in the fall of 1986.   (Yikes! - almost twenty years!)  Yes, I've had a couple of apartments, and been away from time to time, but Richmond definitely feels like "home" to me.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 12:32:07 AM »

The longest I've ever lived in one place was the house I owned in Boulder - over 6 years.
The shortest - I moved into an apartment (in Toronto) when I was a young actress - my first ever REAL apartment - and the place turned out to be unbelievably noisy (street noises). I moved within one week.

Ben

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 04:11:16 AM »

Another slow HHW day. Only 3 posts and the last at 3:30AM.

The longest I've lived in one place is my current abode. I have been here for 21 years. The shortest stay in one place is a tie. In 1976 when I had a summer job on the Showboat in Minneapolis I shared an apartment for 3 months with one of the actors. When the show was over and school started again, I moved back to campus. In 1982 when I came back from a road tour of Sesame Street Live I sublet a friend's apartment, again for 3 months. After that I moved into a not great place on 46th St. between 10th and 11th Avenues (in 1982 it was a less than desirable neighborhood). I stayed there until August of 1983 when I moved into my present location (and I have no plans to move out of here unless I win the lottery or there is some other significant event in my life).

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 04:43:32 AM »

Hi Ben,
Can you answer a question? I have been embarassingly errant and truant and need to catch up with all the news. Does BK have a musical of his running in L.A.? If so, what's it called and where is it playing? I tried to search the archives but there's some sort of glitch and I can't access it.

Ben

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2004, 04:45:28 AM »

Another vacation picture. If I ever need a new career, perhaps I can consider the Canadian Mounties  ;)

Ben

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2004, 04:48:54 AM »

Donna, I just sent you an instant message with show information.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004, 04:50:11 AM »

Longest: I've been in my current place since 1982.

Shortest: When I first came to Toronto I shared an apt. for about a year and a half. It was on the third floor above a couple of stores, and in the best part of town - and I think it was illegal. You entered via a fire escape at the back. My share of the rent was $60/month. The place was demolished long ago, and one of the most expensive condos in town now occupies the site. (Panni: It was directly across from the Colonnade, above the Leather Attic.)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2004, 05:46:33 AM »

21 and three-quarters years at my current place.  Like Ben, there's no move even remotely on the horizon.  The shortest was five blocks away - eight months, I think, in a room with a lovely view: an inch of sky and a fly or two.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2004, 06:08:08 AM »

Jane asked for my favorite neighborhood and I don't know that I have one.  I know my LEAST favorite neighborhood is Times Square.  Still, the New York visitor who's closest to my heart is the one who wants to see lots of theatre, and, for Broadway fans, staying in Times Square makes a lot of sense, for convenience's sake.

This week I showed Irving Place and Stuyvesant Square to a visiting Los Angelino, and there are times I think Irving Place is my favorite street in the world.  The closest hotel to it would be the Grammercy Park Hotel, I think.  The trouble is: living in a city you don't get to know its hotels too well.  Unless you're having illicit love affairs.  Which I have not.

A friend once enjoyed Hotel Wales which is on Carnegie Hill, about 91st and Madison.  That's a neighborhood with a real sense of calm.  It's hard for me to feel completely comfortable on the Upper East Side, west of Lexington, because it tends to be solid white and hoity-toity.

I'm also very enthusiastic about the west Village - the parts that are truly charming and not overrun by tourists, definitely west of 6th, mostly west of 7th.  Our wedding and reception were there, so, of course, certain out-of-town guests wanted to stay right near those, but one of the things that makes the west Village so wonderful is the absence of hotels.  I'd avoid the Washington Square Hotel (on the very block where I was conceived) and there's something really tiny called the Abingdon Square Hotel - a better location could not be found.

When you said you wanted interesting stuff to look at when walking around your hotel, my first thought was - well, anyplace will have that.  But then DR Jose mentioned the Skyline, and "fun-to-look-at walkable neighborhood" is not among its virtues.  You'd only walk east of it, because it's so far west, what's around you is auto shops, light manufacturing, stables where the Central Park South horses go to bed.  I guess, if you're into horses...

Much of the cast of Our Wedding - the musical  ( www.WeddingMusical.com ) stayed at the Beacon, 75th and Broadway.  To be close to Fairway, well, that's produce-lover's heaven, and, for an odd reason, Broadway has very little traffic in the low 70's.  Get a room with a view of the Ansonia.

My prediction is that you'll end up in midtown, though.  There's a higher quantity of hotels there, and, one assumes, high quantity leads to low prices.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2004, 07:00:27 AM »

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  I must pack up the computer so will be offline until Adelphia shows up at the new home environment.  Keep the home fries burning.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2004, 07:03:28 AM »

My longest adult residency was my house in Voorhees, NJ, where I spent nine years.  It was a beautiful two story house set on a nice piece of property (a Sondheim reference!)  I moved out because I thought it was too big for one person and I thought it would be cool to live in the city (namely, Philadelphia.)  I am currently seriously looking into moving back to the 'burbs.

My shortest was when I was twenty and still in college.  I told my parents that I was just going to spend the summer with two friends in NYC, but I was actually planning on staying up there permenently and transferring to NYU.  Well after living with my friends for about a week, I discovered that the one was comin out of the closet and was bringing home guys and having sex in the bathroom (the only private room in the apartment.)  The other guy was bringing home hookers and having sex with them in the bathroom.  I was getting afraid to go to the bathroom, so after holding it in for almost six months, I packed up and went back home.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2004, 07:12:33 AM »

Does anyone else feel that that Genesis space probe that crash landed back to Earth last week is a sci-fi movie waiting to happen?  JRand, do you know what was Alison Hayes' proximity to the crash site?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2004, 07:13:13 AM »

Good morning. I got an e-mail from someone doing a documentary on the Hungarian revolution who wants to speak to me.  Should be interesting. The memoirs of a child.
I'll be E&T for much of today, helping with bk's move. Then - and this is especially for DR Noel - I will be going to that fershluganah cleaning establishment and finally picking up my cheerleading uniform.

MBarnum

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2004, 07:34:43 AM »

I think the longest I have been in one place was the apartment I lived in prior to buying my house. It was a nice, large apartment built in the 1940s. I was there for a little over 7 years, I think. My neighbor, Mary, has lived there since 1975, and is still there (she is in her 80s).

Cheap rent, beautiful landscaping, right downtown, and ...right next to the railroad tracks!! That darn train would come down the tracks blowing it's whistle night and day, just 10 feet from my living room window! Oh, and the carnage...in the 7 years I lived there 14 people were hit by the train on my block alone....there is a lesson to be learned...never build a railroad track going through a busy downtown area full of college students and transients!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2004, 07:50:38 AM »

I mentioned my house the other day and commented that it was 22 years ago in July that I moved here. Obviously, that's the longest.

The apartment I lived in before moving here was the shortest time - 1 year. It was a two bedroom apartment with acres and acres of space - a beautiful, big walk-in closet (I'd never had that before or since; I miss it), a laundry room just off the master bedroom (very convenient) and a utility room off it where I had my ironing board set up and could take clothes out of the dryer and iron them right there: SO convenient.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2004, 07:53:44 AM »

I am really excited about FINALLY getting to MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS today. I'm HOPING that the image is pristine. As I recall, some of the stars required soft focus photography, so I suspect it's not going to be razor sharp, but to have the entire image enhanced for widescreen TVs is going to be a real treat. I don't remember from the box if the sound has been upgraded to Dolby Digital 5.1, but I kind of doubt it since this was a budget release.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2004, 08:01:07 AM »

Good morning. I got an e-mail from someone doing a documentary on the Hungarian revolution who wants to speak to me.  Should be interesting. The memoirs of a child.

You think the revolution is over?

Newsstory:

Lawmaker Wants OK on Foreign-Born Presidents
Thursday, September 16, 2004

WASHINGTON — Schwarzenegger for president in 2008?
No, he's not eligible. Born in Austria , he's barred by the Constitution. But that would change under an amendment introduced Wednesday by a fellow California Republican.

Rep. Dana Rohrabacher's proposal would allow anyone who's been a U.S. citizen for 20 years to run for the nation's highest office. That would include Arnold Schwarzenegger — bodybuilder, movie star and now governor of California.

In remarks prepared for the House floor, he suggested he really wanted to help a California congressman, and a Democrat at that.

"This is no ploy. I honestly believe that Tom Lantos should be able to seek the highest office in the land, just like any other elected official," he said.

Lantos, 76 and born in Hungary, said he saw no need to amend the Constitution.

"However, if the Austro-Hungarian Empire is re-established in the United States, I will invite Arnold Schwarzenegger to be my lieutenant," he said.

der "Waiting For the Empire" Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Michael

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2004, 08:18:49 AM »

My current home is going ten years! Can't believe that. Before that the previous 7 years I moved about once a year except for the last apartment which was about two years or so. Prior to that I had lived in my parents home with the exception of one year in Denver.
Never stop dreaming.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2004, 08:35:54 AM »

We bought our house 13 months after we were married, so that will be 24 years next month. And we plan to live here until the kids put us in a home.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2004, 08:37:16 AM »

Yesterday I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2004, 08:40:14 AM »

Longest almost nine years so far in my current apartment.  Both my ex-wife and ex-lover liked to move a lot so every year or two they found an excuse.

Unless I find an Internet cafe I'll be E&T until Sunday.  Ray and I are taking a mini-vacation to pay tribute to Julia Childs at her kitchen in the Smithsonian.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2004, 08:55:47 AM »

Why is it that construction people ALMOST NEVER do what they say they're going to do. I was told on Monday that they would repave and fix the driveway that was torn up due to sidewalk construction by Thursday if it didn't rain. Now, while rain has been in the forecast for the last two days, we've had NONE this week so far. So where are the workmen? Not one workman was on the job this morning. As a result, I still can't get the car out of my garage due to a two foot wide chasm between the end of my short driveway and the side of the street. My car would fall into an abyss if I tried to back out over the break.

I have a number I'll be calling when I return from lunch giving someone a nice little earful about broken promises. Of course, it'll do no good and may even delay the fixing further.

Michael

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2004, 09:01:11 AM »

Below is a link to another "forgotten" Bruce Kimmel Musical. Still getting the page together, but you all can take a preview

http://www.brucekimmel.com/togetheragain.html

And below is a link to a movie that Bruce would rather forget

http://www.brucekimmel.com/All%20American%20Woman.htm
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2004, 09:03:03 AM »

LOL...DR DtM, I imagine that Miss Allison had just backed her Imperial out of the driveway at 1757 N Orange Grove Av and headed down the highway, when it fell on her!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2004, 09:03:45 AM »

Lived at my present address for 33 years....hmmmmmm
Shortest would probably be in a small house on a farm....about 8 months when I was in the 4th grade.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2004, 09:03:58 AM »

DR JOSE thanks for the senior pictures.  Oh my!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2004, 09:11:58 AM »

Jose you are so full of wonderful information.  I’m saving it to sort through again later.

I went to the NIH cafeteria and it looked rather good.  All I had was Spanish rice.  My schedule gives me an hour for lunch but it didn’t happen last time.  I was really too nervous to eat anyway.  Now I know the routine it will be easier.

The hotel where I normally stay, conveniently located above the metro, has gone up in price.  It was already much higher than the hotel allowance I receive from the NIH.  I might stay there anyway.  If I can take the metro to the bus or train station in DC it will be easier for me.  The train appears to be faster.  What a hassle to get to NY.  There are too many travel arrangements for this trip.

I saved the info on the vegetarian restaurant, but I’m not planning on going anywhere I can’t walk.  There is such a wonderful selection of restaurants right there.  When Penny O went with me last year we ate at a very nice Thai restaurant.

Bruce I do enjoy being greeted with a warm cookie. :)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2004, 09:12:16 AM »

I have vivid memories of all the places I've lived in my lifetime, but I've lived longest in the small apartment I currently occupy.  I moved in during Thanksgiving week 1995.  This November 23 will mark nine (count 'em 9) years I've lived here.

Prior to this apartment, I lived in my beautiful lakeside Italian villa in Lago Patria, Italia (25 miles north of Napoli) for five years, 1987-1992.

Growing up, my parents and I moved a lot  I lived in Johnston SC from shortly after my 1st birthday until just before my 9th birthday, 7 of those years in one house.  It's the greatest "home" stability I would know during my childhood, although my mom always made every place we lived into a home.  We moved to Greenville SC and lived a couple of years in one house, moved and lived a couple of years in another house, moved and lived in a house my folks bought for about five years.  They sold that house to consolidate debts and to fund my college education (for which I'm eternally grateful).  We moved into a new apartment complex where my folks lived about one year before settling into a townhouse in a new development while I was away at college.  

After college, I was in the Navy for 23 1/2 years, and my five-year stay in Naples from 87-92 is by far the longest stay in one house I had anywhere until I retired.  I did live/work (as an instructor in the military's joint-service school for journalism and broadcasting) in Indianapolis from 1979-1984, but I was in one apartment for three years, and a larger apartment (my only experience with a walk-in closet of my own) the other two years.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2004, 09:51:53 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up