Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GLASS SUNDAE  (Read 16936 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE GLASS SUNDAE
« Reply #120 on: September 15, 2004, 10:10:52 PM »

The air is filled with WUSSBURGERS, that's what the air is filled with.

Michael

« Reply #121 on: September 15, 2004, 10:20:16 PM »

I stayed up and watch the rest of Angels in America. Really enjoyed it. Recommend it to all
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #122 on: September 15, 2004, 10:21:49 PM »

Will link tomorrow to another "lost" Bruce Kimmel musical page tomorrow. Off from work for the New Year. A safe and happy one to all
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #123 on: September 15, 2004, 10:23:20 PM »

Page 5 dance.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][/move]
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #124 on: September 15, 2004, 10:23:48 PM »

It's called the cow moonwalk!
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #125 on: September 15, 2004, 10:25:07 PM »

It;s coming up on 10:30pm on the coast of the west, but here on the coast of the east it is a new day and I must sleep.
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #126 on: September 15, 2004, 10:29:34 PM »

Bruce, did you say you like the Doubletree Inn in NY and the location is great?  I want to stay someplace where I will feel comfortable walking around by myself at all hours.  Maybe that is impossible, but at least until bedtime.  

If I may chime in here too...

The Doubletree is, as DR Noel mentioned, right smack in Times Square.  -If you get one of the #00, or #01 rooms, your windows look right out onto Times Square.  When I was there last year, Bernadette Peters was waving her GYPSY hands at me everytime I looked out my window.  It's a very convenient location if you want to walk around Times Square.

I've stated before that I prefer the Skyline Hotel over on 50th and 10th.  Not too far from all the action of Times Square, and there are some nice restaurants and cafe along 9th Ave in that neighborhood.  And it's nice and quiet at night with no bright neon lights sneaking through your curtains at night.  *And if you get a room in the newly remodeled wing, there's a nice view of the Empire State Building.  **And they also have a rooftop pool which is nice - and also has great views of the city.  It all really depends upon how much walking you want to do.

There are a few small hotels in Chelsea and the Village you may want to look into, but some of their rates have started to creep up to the usual mid-town rates further up the island.  And depending upon how late you stay up and walk around, parts of Chelsea and the Village can feel a bit sketchy at times.

The Doubletree does have some deals, but the rooms usually start at $199/night - plus the 17% NYC occupancy tax.  Or whatever the tax rate is.  It is an older hotel by current New York standards, but all the rooms are suites, and they have a small wet bar set up in each room with a mini-fridge and a small counter.  You truly are paying for the location.

When are you planning on going up?  The rates in New York really start to climb around this time of year due to the Fall Shopping season.  And then just keep climbing as you get closer to the Holidays.

Times Square is generally safe to walk around at all hours - there's just always people out and about.  The East Side has some nice hotels, but since the East Side - at least around the financial district is so 9-to-5 based, there's usually not much to see after the close of the business day.

Oh, and one other option for a reasonably priced room around Times Square is the Broadway Inn Bed & Breakfast.  Small, but very serviceable rooms - just make sure NOT to get the one of the nightclub/bar - AAARGGGHHH!!!  Nice friendly staff too.  I believe it's at 46th and 8th - ??? Sorry I can't remember exactly where it is right now.

Now, if you really want to splurge, I'd suggest the newly renovated Omni Berkshire Place on the East Side, or the Mandarian Oriental in the new Time-Warner complex - at least two(!) plasma TVs in each room!

:D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #127 on: September 15, 2004, 10:39:34 PM »

Jose are you suggesting Montgomery Donuts are special?  I guess I will have to have one now, if I notice them. :)

Thank you for providing so much information on the restaurants.   If only I could eat all day instead of taking tests. ;D

For the Farrell’s history http://rkbaker.home.netcom.com/body_the_beginning.htmly-

Montgomery Donuts just makes some very good, old-fashioned donuts.  Nothing fancy, nothing too plain.  A theatre company I used to play for used to rehearse in the neighborhood around Bethesda's restaurant row - and a couple blocks away from NIH.  It was the usual routine for someone to bring donuts to rehearsal for break/snack time.  And it was always Montgomery Donuts.  Ah, memories...

OH, and speaking of memories... Have you dined in the cafeterias at NIH?  It's been many years since I've been up there, but I recalled having some pretty surprisingly good food whenever I went to visit a friend who was staying there for during some drug trials.  But I'm guessing you just want to get out of the building... which is totally understandable.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: September 15, 2004, 10:48:06 PM »

The Doubletree is my hotel of choice.  It's right next to the Palace, it's very clean, as Jose said, each room is a suite - two rooms - the views are great if you're overlooking Times Square, they give you two rather yummilicious warm cookies upon checking in.  Their quoted room rate is actually over three bills right now, but you can get at two hundred dollar room by using one of the online hotel.com type things.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #129 on: September 15, 2004, 10:58:54 PM »

I'm going to post some wildly interesting posts to get us up to a respectable number... Then I'm going to retire early.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #130 on: September 15, 2004, 11:03:05 PM »

The Doubletree is my hotel of choice.  It's right next to the Palace, it's very clean, as Jose said, each room is a suite - two rooms - the views are great if you're overlooking Times Square, they give you two rather yummilicious warm cookies upon checking in.  Their quoted room rate is actually over three bills right now, but you can get at two hundred dollar room by using one of the online hotel.com type things.

OOOHHH!!!! I forgot to mention the cookies!!!!  And, yes, they are warm!!!!  Technically, they're only supposed to give you one at check-in, but sometimes depending upon how many they have on the warmer, they may give you an extra one.  And if you ask really nice, they'll also give another one - or two - during your stay.  They're supposed to charge you a $1.00 for each additional cookie, but I've never had to pay for the extra treats. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2004, 11:05:42 PM »

I'm too tired to think, so here's a picture...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #132 on: September 15, 2004, 11:08:37 PM »

Hmmm... Quite the interesting slate of Kennedy Center Honors honorees for this year:

Dame Joan Sutherland

John Williams (the composer not the classical guitarist)

Ossie Davis and Ruby Dee - in a joint "honor"

Warren Beatty

and...

Elton John

It's gonna be one interesting ceremony to say the least.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #133 on: September 15, 2004, 11:09:53 PM »

I'm watching the news as I type. The hurricane footage is something! Got me thinking that I've never experienced a hurricane. I HAVE experienced the following: tornado, flood, fire, earthquake, network executives.

Panni

« Reply #134 on: September 15, 2004, 11:13:03 PM »

Hmmm... Quite the interesting slate of Kennedy Center Honors honorees for this year:
Ossie Davis and Ruby Dee - in a joint "honor"

This is good news for me (well - for them, too). I've been trying to get a lovely project starring the two of them off the ground for close to three years.

Panni

« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2004, 11:14:09 PM »

Looks like it's just the two of us, Jose...

Panni

« Reply #136 on: September 15, 2004, 11:14:58 PM »

Back in a few minutes....

Panni

« Reply #137 on: September 15, 2004, 11:29:12 PM »

Nobody posted while I was away? Skammen.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: September 15, 2004, 11:31:51 PM »

I'm watching the news as I type. The hurricane footage is something! Got me thinking that I've never experienced a hurricane. I HAVE experienced the following: tornado, flood, fire, earthquake, network executives.

Yep, the hurricane footage... I'm kind of addicted to it lately - especially after the flooding back home in Richmond last week after the remnants Gaston came through.  And Richmond even had some more minor-flooding (again) yesterday due to some heavy rains.  And with Ivan due to stir up some more precipitation during the rest of the week, and Jeanne possibly heading right for the Eastern seaboard...  I'm just hoping everything is dried out by the time I fly back a week from Sunday.

I've never experienced "network executives", but I have experienced "opera divas and divos" as well as "stage directors who have absolutely no idea what they're doing".  But I think my favorite has to be "orchestra conductors who don't know how to give a tempo and then yell at the orchestra for not reading his mind following his baton".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: September 15, 2004, 11:32:52 PM »

Looks like it's just the two of us, Jose...

Weren't we just talking about the song from "Two for the Road" the other day?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #140 on: September 15, 2004, 11:43:35 PM »

LOL!

A friend of mine just sent me this link.  It's a lot of fun.  And basically clean fun too!  Enjoy!

Senior Pictures

Just click on "Next" right below the title banner at the top of the page.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #141 on: September 15, 2004, 11:51:02 PM »

Yep, the hurricane footage... I'm kind of addicted to it lately - especially after the flooding back home in Richmond last week after the remnants Gaston came through.  And Richmond even had some more minor-flooding (again) yesterday due to some heavy rains.  And with Ivan due to stir up some more precipitation during the rest of the week, and Jeanne possibly heading right for the Eastern seaboard...  I'm just hoping everything is dried out by the time I fly back a week from Sunday.

Does anyone ever go to the Astronomy Picture of the Day site?  They have a very interesting astronomical picture every day (hence the appropriateness of the name of the site ;D).  Anyway, today's (Wednesday's) picture of the day is a picture of Hurricane Ivan as seen from the International Space Station that was just taken on Saturday!  Click HERE to go to the specific page.  I have THIS page bookmarked.  It's the archive list and can take a while to load because it's a list of EVERY day that they've been doing this...since June 16, 1995!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #142 on: September 15, 2004, 11:51:11 PM »

I would like to find a beautiful recording of traditional High Holy Days music, including Kol Nidre.  We don’t go to temple (I prefer not to go alone).  Now that it’s just the two of us we don’t even have a special dinner.  I do read my prayer book and, as Jay mentioned, think of this as a time for renewal and reflection.  Most of all I miss the music. Cantor Nadel, the cantor at Temple Isaiah in W. L.A. when I was young, had the most beautiful voice I have ever heard.  I have been told he made at least one recording of music but I have never been able to find it.   Aside from a beautiful voice he was a kind, caring man.  The last time I went to services with my father we sat with the Rabbi but sadly I couldn’t find Cantor Nadel to talk to him.  :( Since then he has passed away.

My synagogue convenes at Temple Isaiah for the High Holy Days while the Temple Isaiah congregation holds its services at the Century Plaza Hotel.  They remodeled the sanctuary last year and it is quite beautiful.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 11:52:07 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: September 15, 2004, 11:55:05 PM »

DR Jane - I forgot one very nice vegetarian option in Bethesda, the Thyme Square Cafe.  It's on Bethesda Ave., right near the Bethesda Metro Stop if I remember correctly.  You could walk to it from NIH, but it would probably be faster and better to take the Red Line one stop "in" towards D.C.  It's completely vegetarian, but it's not a "nuts and grains" place.  Some people think it's overpriced, and some items do seem like they are.  But it's a very nice dining room - almost hip - and in a great location too in downtown Bethesda with lots of shopping and a movie theatre nearby.  *The desserts are wonderful!
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up