Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MOVING DAY  (Read 9870 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:MOVING DAY
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2004, 09:30:17 AM »

Panni I think you have had enough experiences and can easily skip a hurricane.

Jay were you at the Century Plaza Hotel for services last night?  Last night I went on line and read the rabbi’s sermon.

Thank you Noel.  Deciding where to stay, once I figure out how to get there, is going to be difficult.

Dan (the Man) I would still be afraid of bathrooms after that experience. :P

DRLaura and I thought you only saw beautiful sights on your walks.  I envy all your years in one home.

Jane

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2004, 09:32:53 AM »

Does it count if we lived in Michigan twice?  That was a total of 8 ½ years.  In between we lived in Woodbridge, Connecticut for exactly one year.   After Michigan we lived in Northern California for one year prior to moving here.  

As of October 1st we will have lived in this house 6 years and 3 months, the longest we have lived anywhere.  I’m counting states not apartments and houses alone.  

The first apartment I lived in when I was 18 was a little bachelor apartment (smaller than my bedroom at home) off of an alley.  I lived there less than half a year.  My father found the alley very frightening and decided to help me move to a one bedroom in a better location.  It wasn’t anything fancy but it was nice to have so much room.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2004, 09:53:23 AM »

It's a beautiful sight to me, Jane! It's my new church building going up around the corner. We've been waiting 4.5 years to see this!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2004, 10:19:30 AM »

I"m online again, but must run back to the other house to see how the movers are doing.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2004, 10:24:26 AM »

Still reading through Tuesday's notes after missing a couple of days.  But if I don't reply to the following from that day, I'm sure I'll forget.

Noel wrote:  "But students bred on AI habits are all too often resistant to learning different habits, habits that would get them jobs."

Can you ellaborate?  I've never watched AI, but I'm interested in knowing what these bad habits are.

Panni wrote:  "It drives me crazy, too, ('Not a long drive,' someone who shall remain nameless recently said.)"

Oooh!  My line, my line.  From several years ago--and oft repeated.

Joe:  You're driving me crazy.

Me:  No one needs to drive you.  It's close enough to walk.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2004, 11:12:13 AM »

After I graduated from college, I moved back in with my parents for about a year and a half.  When I did a community theater production of Camelsnot [sic], I met a woman (no...not like that) and we became (and still are) friends.  Anyway, we both wanted to move out from our respective parents' homes, so we got an apartment together.  We had that for two years when she decided to buy a house.  I got an apartment on my own and had that for four years.

I then moved in with my sister for five and a half years (that the longest I've lived any place other than with my parents) so that I could try and pay off my credit cards (my sister didn't charge me rent).  Almost two years ago (it'll be two years in November, actually), I moved out on my own.  I got my own apartment and had that until April of this year when my sister built a new house (in the empty lot between her old house and her ex-parents-in-law!) and I moved back into the house that I had just moved out of a year and a half earlier.  Now I've been here (again) since April and will probably be here for a very long time.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2004, 11:48:52 AM »

Good Morning!

DR Jane - All you have to do is take the Metro - Red Line - from the Medical Center stop right to Union Station.  Go up two sets of escalators and you're right by the Amtrak ticketing desks and kiosks!  Very easy to do.  -Just make sure you get on the Red Line going in the right direction.

Then all you have to decide is how much you want to spend on the train trip - and, consequently, how long you want to take to get up to NYC - and what kind of accomodations you want on board.  The standard train (reserved and unreserved) takes about four hours - just all depends upon how many additional stops it has to make along the way.  The Metroliner is very spacious and makes limited stops getting you up to Penn Station in about three hours - usually shorter.  And then the Acela gets you up to the Big Apple in just under(!) three hours.  So...

I usually just take the regular train - the cost for the trips on the Metroliner and Acela are basically double those of the standard trip.  However, I have splurged on the Metroliner and Acela a few times - especially if someone else will eventually be picking up the tab for the trip.  *And sometimes it's actually been cheaper to take a USAir or Delta shuttle up and back from DCA (also right on the Metro (Blue Line) - if you purchase the ticket enough in advance.  I'm still kind of "mad" from when Amtrak changed the pricing structure for their Northwest Corridor trips a couple of years ago.  They used to give a nice discount if you purchased the round-trip in advance.  Now each segment is priced as a one-way trip.  When I went up in the spring, the one-way unreserved fare was about $89.00, and the Metroliner and Acela were starting at $140.00 - each way.

Otherwise, there are at least three trains up to NYC each hour from Union Station during the morning hours.  *And Union Station has a decent food court in which to pass the time too, as well as some nice architecture and shopping.
Make Your Own Luck.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2004, 11:50:40 AM »

Nineteen years in my house in the Stead of Hemp, most of it with Joe, until homophobic, racist kids convinced us to move to a better house in a better neighborhood in the Hills of Dix, Ton of Hunting, Island of Long, States of United.

Now going on five years in the better neighborhood next door to the Neighbors from Hell.  Other than that, it's wonderful, with an acre of trees that I keep promising myself I'm going to photograph and share with all and sun-dried here.

Shortest?  I rented the upper floor of a house in Marquette Michigan for 9 months while I was teaching at Northern Michigan University.  I could see Lake Superior from my window.  The snow that fell on Thanksgiving was still on the ground on Easter.  Brrrr!
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2004, 11:54:41 AM »

Shanah Tovah to all tribe members (and even non-tribe members).  We just got back from morning services, and I am happy to report that we left BeeGee alone for the longest spell yet (almost 2 hours) and he did just fine.  This may have had something to do with the fact that we left him with two bones--one brand new, still with meat attached and marrow in the bone, and an old one, which we stuffed with peanut butter.  Betsy also had the brainstorm of leaving some of our old clothes on the floor in his "waiting room" so that he could lie on our smell, so to speak, and it worked wonders.  For the first time ever, when I opened the door, he was lying down on his blanket, firmly asconce (sp?) Betsy's sweatshirt and my pants.

I moved a lot when I was a kid, not (as you might think) because of my Dad's military career.  He was actually in the Reserves by the time I was born.  But we moved to a bigger house in SLC when I was 8, and then about two years later, my Dad's civilian job transferred him to Seattle, where we lived for 4 years, then he retired and we moved back to SLC, where I stayed (in various apartments of my own, all short-term) through college.  In Portland I've lived in all four quadrants (Portland is quadrisected, if that's a word), probably the longest of which was the first house I bought and lived in for about 10 years.  We've been in our current house for over 8 years, so I am closing in on my record.

I have a moving story (in more ways than one LOL) about moving from that previous house into our current house.  I quite unwisely chose the "cheap movers", who turned out to be worth every cent I didn't spend on them.  :)  One of the guys was evidently in the midst of an ugly breakup with his wife and was just a lunatic, literally throwing stuff all over whilst screaming about his soon to be ex.  And then, to top it all off, they dropped my grand piano in the old house, putting a huge ding in the hardwood floors (we had already closed on the sale, so I had the unenviable task of calling the buyers and having them come over to re-inspect; thankfully they were very understanding and didn't make a big deal out of it since they were going to have the floors refinished anyway).  More to the point, however, they cracked the body of my piano, and it took threatening litigation to get them to send a repairer who was able to fix it, more or less.  So, word to the wise:  spend well on movers, it's worth it.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2004, 11:58:27 AM »

They're STILL packing.  I'm hoping they'll be done there at 12:30 or 1:00 and then start coming over here.  Thirty-eight postings - this is keeping the home fries burning?

Jane

« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2004, 12:00:25 PM »

It's a beautiful sight to me, Jane! It's my new church building going up around the corner. We've been waiting 4.5 years to see this!

Oh, very nice and right around the corner from you.  Great location! :D  Please keep posting photos as the building progeresses.

Jane

« Reply #41 on: September 16, 2004, 12:02:48 PM »

Panni wrote:  "It drives me crazy, too, ('Not a long drive,' someone who shall remain nameless recently said.)"

Oooh!  My line, my line.  From several years ago--and oft repeated.

Joe:  You're driving me crazy.

Me:  No one needs to drive you.  It's close enough to walk.

"It's close enough to walk"

I'm going to remember that-LOL-I love it.  

Jane

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2004, 12:38:35 PM »

George you must get along great with your sister-lucky you. :D

Jane

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2004, 12:49:30 PM »

JMK Happy New Year to you.  I’m pleased sweet BeeGee did well.  I’m also impressed he has never been left more than two hours before now.  He is lucky to have found you and Betsy. :D  

As for movers, even expensive ones can give you nightmares.  I have plenty of horror stories. :'(

Jane

« Reply #44 on: September 16, 2004, 12:52:57 PM »

Jose you just ruined my excuse to stay at the nicer hotel next to the metro station.  ;D Odd the woman at the NIH didn’t suggest I take the metro from there.  I shall have to find out how far a walk it is.  I enjoy the walk, but not carrying luggage.  That complex is huge and the metro could be at the opposite location from where I will be.  Now that you mention it I seem to recall seeing a sign for the metro as I walked out of the complex.

I know have three separate files of information for my trip; restaurants, hotels in NY, and trains.  I was thinking it would be easier to take the train than a shuttle.  Even with the blue line it might be.  Since the NIH makes my travel arrangements I was afraid I would have to fly back to Dulles International.  Today I found out I can make my own arrangements and will be reimbursed for what their cost would have been (don’t know what that is) so will only be a one way trip to NY from Bethesda.  I’m guessing arriving in NY at the train station will be easier than the airport.  

Another reason for the train, the NIH schedule says I will be done at 1:00.  Last year they ran a little late.  It might be easier just to go to the train station and take the next available one to NY.  Wow, I just looked at the Amtrak site.  For $83 more I can take the express train saving half an hour of travel time.  The express train seems to only have business class.  I had better be very careful to get on the train I pay for since they depart only 5 minutes apart from each other.

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2004, 12:55:00 PM »

Can any of you Big Brother watchers tell me what Drew is thinking.  He is promising both Diane and Cowboy that he would take them to F2.  Who is he lying to?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2004, 12:56:22 PM »

Hmmm... I've been doing basically nothing since I've gotten up today.... Hmmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2004, 01:02:20 PM »

I had the best time at Baby Gap (or Kid's Gap, or whatever it's called).

I went in to see if their sale racks had any baby boy clothes (my sister's husband's sister called me from up North and asked if I could get her some baby gifts).

Well the saleswoman started telling us that every item ending in .97 was an extra 50% off, and then an extra 50% off.

And she showed us some new stuff, that she didn't think was supposed to be on sale. But it was.

So all of a sudden, like 7 women were grabbing at this stuff.

It was quite polite actually. But there were these gorgeous shirts that were $6.97, and they were supposed to be (50% off that, 3.50, and 50% off that 1.75). But when they punched in at the cash they were only .97 cents.

Then there were these other outfits. That were 12.97. And they were actually supposed to be (13, and 50% of that 6.50, and 50% of that is 3.25).  But they have some weird way of doing things, and they were 3.97 (apparently everything has to still end in .97).

So I got like 8-10 items, and it only cost $28 including tax. :)

Then I was helping some other ladies find their sizes. So I ended up spending almost an hour in Baby Gap. :)

Jennifer

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2004, 01:06:46 PM »

DR Jane, I'm sorry I must have missed your explanation. But what is "NIH"?  And what are your trips for?

And what theatre will you see?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2004, 01:08:43 PM »

Jose you just ruined my excuse to stay at the nicer hotel next to the metro station.  ;D Odd the woman at the NIH didn’t suggest I take the metro from there.  I shall have to find out how far a walk it is.  I enjoy the walk, but not carrying luggage.  That complex is huge and the metro could be at the opposite location from where I will be.  Now that you mention it I seem to recall seeing a sign for the metro as I walked out of the complex.

I know have three separate files of information for my trip; restaurants, hotels in NY, and trains.  I was thinking it would be easier to take the train than a shuttle.  Even with the blue line it might be.  Since the NIH makes my travel arrangements I was afraid I would have to fly back to Dulles International.  Today I found out I can make my own arrangements and will be reimbursed for what their cost would have been (don’t know what that is) so will only be a one way trip to NY from Bethesda.  I’m guessing arriving in NY at the train station will be easier than the airport.  

Another reason for the train, the NIH schedule says I will be done at 1:00.  Last year they ran a little late.  It might be easier just to go to the train station and take the next available one to NY.  Wow, I just looked at the Amtrak site.  For $83 more I can take the express train saving half an hour of travel time.  The express train seems to only have business class.  I had better be very careful to get on the train I pay for since they depart only 5 minutes apart from each other.

The train is ultimately easier since it's drops you right off in Penn Station/Madison Square Garden.  Flying up to NYC is nice, but then there is the car ride in from the airport.  Of course, if you happen to have a car service waiting for you... :)  *Of course, sometimes Penn Station can get a bit bewildering... hehe.

The tickets takers and attendants will make sure you get on the right train.  However, if you happen to be running late, they will also let you get on the next available train, and then you just pay the difference or request a refund if there happens to be a difference in ticket prices should you purchase your ticket in advance.

As for getting around NIH, did they stop the on-campus shuttle service?  I know they also used to have golf-carts shuttling people back and forth.  And the hotel may have a complimentary Metro/Airport shuttle - most of them in the DC area do.  Worth checking into.

*Oh, and one thing I used to love to do was watching the families play in the "backyard" of the Ronald McDonald House on the NIH campus.  The joy on the faces of the kids - and the parents - was always inspiring - and humbling.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2004, 01:10:22 PM »

DR Emily, how did the honey cake turn out?

When you mentioned it yesterday, I desperately wanted to eat my mom's recipe. I love honey cake.

I forget if DIT's recipe had raisons.  My mom's does.  I don't even really like raisons, and never eat them otherwise. And I don't like them in cookies. But this honey cake is not the same without them. The raisons make the cake.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2004, 01:12:51 PM »

And I believe the fare on the Red Line from the Medical Center to Union Station is $1.85.  It goes up during the "Peak" (rush hour) times.  *And during the week, the Non-Peak times are only between 10:00-2:00 right now, I think.  And the afternoon Peak period doesn't end until 7:00pm, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2004, 01:18:25 PM »

What day of the week will be you going up to NYC?  If you're heading up on Friday, I'd suggest buying your ticket in advance - just plan accordingly - otherwise, you might end up waiting for a train with a "space" on it.  The Unreserved trains are "convenient", but if you're not in line at the right time, you can end up sitting in the meal car - which some people like so that they have the table space.

*One nice benefit of taking the Metroliner is that you have access to the special Metroliner lounge - complimentary coffee and juices, newspapers, and a quiet waiting area.

And that Express/Acela service truly is FAST!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2004, 01:25:43 PM »

I've spent the better part of this afternoon with a friend pricing various flat panel TVs and monitors. He's the IT person for the museum where he works, but didn't feel comfortable looking at that technology alone. Was glad to help, but it took hours looking at all the various features of each brand and sizes within about the same dimensions. Some would find that beyond tedious, but I really enjoyed it.

Sad to say, however, since I was gone, no MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS yet, but it's in my future as I type. As soon as I finish my afternoon surf, I'm back downstairs and starting to view it. Ivan hasn't gotten here yet either, but it's been overcast all day and should be fine weather for a mystery. Can't wait!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2004, 02:13:42 PM »

I've lived in the same house my whole life.

Wasn't that an exciting story?
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2004, 02:19:51 PM »

Can any of you Big Brother watchers tell me what Drew is thinking.  He is promising both Diane and Cowboy that he would take them to F2.  Who is he lying to?

And that is the HUGEST question of them all.  

I'd like to think that Drew has been allowing Diane to manipulate him to the final two but that, when push comes to shove, he will select the other person.  In this case, that's Cowboy.

Still....he can guarantee victory by having Diane there with him.

Also...if he's not worried about either Diane or Cowboy, he can throw the final part of the HOH competition and let Cowboy take him to the final two, as Cowboy has promised he would do all along.  That way, he doesnt have to dump Diane, much as he would love to.

Only hitch there, of course, is that Cowboy might reveal that he's been playing dumb all this time and that he knows how best to win the half million, all talk of "friends forever" notwithstanding.

Barring that nearly inconceivable surprise/shock, the truth seems to be that Cowboy is sweetly naive, and gullible....and not a little dense and out-of-touch with reality.

I'd love to see Drew drop Diane like a hot potato.  He can earn her vote, however, by letting Cowboy win HOH.  Cowboy then takes Drew to the final 2.

I'm SO GRATEFUL this will all be over and done with in less than a week.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2004, 02:21:43 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Emily

« Reply #56 on: September 16, 2004, 02:25:11 PM »

I haven't made the honey cake yet... laziness won out over my craving today.  And of course, being the goyishe gal that I am, I don't have to feel guilty about not making it during the actual holiday!

However, just because I didn't make it myself also didn't mean I didn't get to partake of honey cake.  I went to get my hair trimmed very early this morning and my long-time hairdresser (who is a very non-observant Jew with very observant parents) offerred me a sample of that which her mom had fed-exed her from Winnipeg.  

ARGHAGHALAGHAGAHAGA
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2004, 02:42:04 PM »

OK...

I'm feeling a bit better now.  I just got back from lunch.  Mexican - again.  But this time from the little stand/shack around the corner, Yuca's.  Quite good and cheap.  Today's selection, a torta filled with conchinita pibil - marinated pork.  YUM!

Now I need to spend some time away from the computer...  It's been one of those mornings and afternoons where I keep getting e-mails from people about upcoming projects... But each time they e-mail me, the dates keep on changing... The personnel keep on changing... The dates change again... AAAGGGHHH!!!!

-Calgon!  Take me away!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2004, 02:42:39 PM »

And, hopefully, when I check back in later we'll have made to Page 3.

???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2004, 02:43:32 PM »

And maybe this will help...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up