Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: MOVING DAY  (Read 9678 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:MOVING DAY
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2004, 02:51:31 PM »

Jose so far I have not found the shuttle to be at a convenient time.  Last year they scheduled my first appointment before the shuttle even arrived at my hotel.  I didn’t notice that until late the evening before, throwing me into a panic.  I decided to take a cab.  Fortunately they reimbursed me for the cab ride.  Penny and I walked past the Ronald McDonald House but didn’t see the families in the yard.  I will check out the golf carts if I need them.

Jennifer the NIH is the National Institutes of Health and has many government sponsored studies, one of which I have volunteered my body for.  Since I am genetically defective they approached me and asked if I would participate in a study for women genetically predisposed to breast and ovarian cancer.  It isn’t a fun thing to do but I wanted to make a difference.  The biggest pain is the distance, a whole day of traveling.  If I’m going that far I may as well do something fun and see some new sights.  So far this study has cost me a little more than the authorized allowance.  I can’t wait to see what this trip amounts to.  ;D I’m waiting to see what theater my nieces are interested in.  

Jennifer your trip to the GAP sounds like fun.

Jane

« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2004, 03:07:56 PM »

Jose, sorry I didn’t answer your question.  I am taking the afternoon train on Oct 5th, which is a Tuesday.  I don’t care where I sit as much as I’m sitting facing forward.  Otherwise I will get very sick.

I suppose I’m into the NY shopping season.  Keith’s aunt and cousin go every year.  I find it surprising anyone would need to go from LA to NY to shop but they have a grand time.  They unfortunately are leaving NY two days before I arrive.  

And thanks to you, if they say metroliner at the station I will know what they are referring to. ;D

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2004, 03:16:58 PM »

They're STILL packing.  ... Thirty-eight postings - this is keeping the home fries burning?

'Tis difficult to kep your home fires burning when the packers keep boxing up all the fuel >:(

der aspiring-arsonist Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2004, 03:17:03 PM »

The schedule for WICKED during the dates I will be in NY.  The Wed matinee is looking good.
Tuesday at 7:00 p.m.
Wednesday at 2:00 p.m. & 8:00 p.m.
Thursday at 8:00 p.m.
Friday at 8:00 p.m.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2004, 03:22:15 PM »

TODAY'S TECHNO-LEVITY

A Spanish teacher was explaining to her class that in
Spanish, unlike English, nouns are designated as
either masculine or feminine. ''House'' for instance,
is feminine: ''la casa.'' ''Pencil,'' however, is masculine:
"el lapiz.''

A student asked, ''What gender is 'computer'?''

Instead of giving the answer, the teacher split the class
into two groups, male and female, and asked them to
decide for themselves whether ''computer'' should be a
masculine or a feminine noun.

Each group was asked to give four reasons for its
recommendation.

The men's group decided that ''computer'' should definitely be of the feminine gender (''la computer''), because:

1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic;

2. The native language they use to communicate with
       other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else;

3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in long term
      memory for possible later retrieval; and

4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find
   yourself spending half your paycheck on accessories  for it.

(No chuckling... this gets better!)

The women's group, however, concluded that
computers should be Masculine (''el computer''),
because:

1. In order to do anything with them, you have to turn them on;

2. They have a lot of data but still can't think for themselves;

3. They are supposed to help you solve problems, but
        half the time they ARE the problem; and

4. As soon as you commit to one, you realize that if you had waited a little longer, you could have gotten a newer and better model.

The women won!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2004, 03:47:35 PM »

WAXING METAPHYSICAL

From The Vikars Rant

That's Life

On the first day, God created the cow.

God said, "You must go to field with the farmer all day long and suffer under the sun, have calves and give milk to support the farmer. I will give you a life span of sixty years."

The cow said, "That's kind of a tough life you want me to live for sixty years. Let me have twenty years and I'll give back the other forty."

And God agreed.

On the second day, God created the dog. God said, "Sit all day by the door of your house and bark at anyone who comes in or walks past. I will give you a life span of twenty years."

The dog said, "That's too long to be barking. Give me ten years and I'll give back the other ten."

So God agreed (sigh).

On the third day, God created the monkey. God said, entertain people, do monkey tricks, make them laugh. I'll give you a twenty year life span."

Monkey said, "How boring, monkey tricks for twenty years? I don't think so. Dog gave you back ten, so that's what I'll do too, okay?"

And God agreed again.

On the fourth day, God created man. God said, "Eat, sleep, play, have sex, enjoy doing nothing, just enjoy, enjoy. I'll give you twenty years."

Man said, "What? Only twenty years? No way, God. Tell you what, I'll take my twenty, the forty the cow gave back, the ten the dog gave back, and the ten the monkey gave back. That makes eighty, okay?"

"Okay," said God. "You've got a deal."

So that is why for the first twenty years we eat, sleep, play, have sex, enjoy doing nothing. For the next forty years we slave in the sun to support our family. For the next ten years, we do monkey tricks to entertain our grandchildren and for the last ten years, we sit around the house and bark at everybody.

Life has now been explained.

der Brucer
« Last Edit: September 16, 2004, 03:56:20 PM by DERBRUCER »

Danise

« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2004, 04:17:38 PM »

Evening all!  Well, the subject of the day seems to be moving except the board doesn’t seem to be doing that!  Is it a Holiday or something?  ;)

Speaking of Holidays, I thought I had come up with the perfect way to celebrate every  holiday, no matter the religion.  I came up with a new faith called “The Chameleon”  and it worked like this: For Jewish holidays, you convert just in time to celebrate the holidays, when a Christian holiday comes up you convert for it and then the same for any other faiths holiday.  You get the day off from work—with pay--because they HAVE to give it to you!

I did my best to sell the idea to my boss but she just wasn’t buying it.  Sigh.  I need to work on my salesmanship skills.  I will say for the 3 or 4 minutes I was trying to talk her into to it, I think I was one of the most Jewish people on the face of the earth!

I know how you feel about facing forward when riding on a bus, train, plane,  Jane.   HARTLINE (The bus service I take to/from work) has what I call a “couch bus” because the seats are all facing inward towards the aisle.  That means you are riding sideways.  

With the exception of sitting on the drivers lap (hummm, now there’s a thought) there are no forward facing seats on that type of bus.  I hate them!  I get very ill every time I get on one of those things unless I ride with my eyes closed the whole way.  

Come to think of it, it would be a toss up (no pun intended) between the lesser of two evils as far as sitting on some of those bus drivers laps (ugh) or riding sideways with your eyes closed.   ::)

I have written long letters/e-mails complaining about them (the couch bus not the driver) and it stops them from sending one of those type of busses for a time but then they slip right back into the habit.  

As far as the longest house, I think I also have mentioned that I have been in this house since 1979.  Twenty five of the longest years of my life.  I never had the chance to move out on my own due to the parents illness/accident.

Good weather vibes to those in Ivan’s path.  It may be a tropical storm now but it still can do a lot of harm.  Think Sunshine!

I heard from DR Elmore.  He still has his good days and his bad days but is hanging in there.  Continued good health vibes his way!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2004, 04:24:02 PM »

I liked both of the jokes, der Brucer!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jennifer

« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2004, 04:26:41 PM »

DR RLP and other BB fans:  Up until today I was convinced that Drew would take Diane to the finals and dump Cowboy.  I also thought it would be in his best interest to throw the HOH and let Diane/Cowboy do the dirty work.  But now I'm wondering if Drew will break his word to Diane. For some reason I don't want him to.  I REALLY though want it to be Drew who wins the final HOH.  Cause I want to see what he will do.

Jane

« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2004, 05:00:50 PM »

Danise, now we have the truth behind your questions yesterday.  You just wanted back ground info for your sales pitch today. ;D

I remember when I rode the bus to work there were days when I wasn’t sure I would make it to my stop.  A few times I got off the bus before my stop on my return trip and walked the rest of the way home.  

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2004, 05:12:30 PM »

The couch bus is the kind I ride, only I've always thought of it more as a fig bus. But that's probably just me.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Danise

« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2004, 05:31:31 PM »

Well, Jane, I wasn't thinking about it at the time but it never hurts to have a little background information on a subject!

I hope you guys know I'm only kidding.  I was/am honestly interested when I asked the questions.  I just love to see the expressions on my bosses face when I hit her with some of things I come up with.  I don't think she knows if I'm serious about it or not because I always try to do it with a straight face.  

Did I tell you about what I said on Friday about being Tampa's only hope for avoiding Ivan?  I said the storm would go around us because I WANT something to come and knock this house down so I can get the insurance money to build the one I want.

Well, Jose (our safetly guy) had to go to New Orleans for a safety conference being held (you guessed it) this week.  He called yesterday and said he was buying me a voodoo doll for sending Ivan his way!  

He also said it wouldn't have been so bad except they closed down all the gambling joints (excuse me--House of Prayers.  "Oh, G*d, let me win this one! etc) and he couldn't go to any of them while there.  He's NEVER going to forgive me!  :o

The couch bus is the kind I ride, only I've always thought of it more as a fig bus. But that's probably just me.

Fig bus?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

François de Paris

« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2004, 05:36:00 PM »

MARY POPPINS the stage musical:

Borrowed from jimhillmedia.com.

What an event!

Quite simply, Disney Theatricals have done it again. In a co-production with Cameron Mackintosh, the latest release has been well worth the wait. "Mary Poppins" finally dropped in on the Bristol Hippodrome, to rapturous applause.

For those of you expecting to essentially see the film on stage, you'll be a little disappointed. Yes, there are all the favourite songs, characters and more or less the same plot. But no, there's no dancing penguins, no carousel horse race, no old Mr Dawes Senior, and no tea party on the ceiling.

The show has been reworked to include more of the original P L Travers stories. The book is tightly written to accommodate this by Julian Fellowes, with plenty of one-liners the audience found themselves repeating come the final curtain. Anthony Drew and George Stiles created a host of new songs, and reworked the original Sherman Brothers' songs, and each has a unique feel and all incredibly memorable.

Bob Crowley has designed some wonderful sets and costumes, complete with the opulent and heavily furnished Banks household, dark brooding park and beautifully lavish travelling market. They were complemented by Howard Harrison's gorgeous lighting adding a richness and depth to the show. So when Mary and the children entered the more or less monochrome park, it filled with a vast array of reds, greens, purples, and yellows that truly brought the stage to life, as the animation did in the film.

As for the actors, I witnessed a new generation of the West End's and Broadway's most promising talent. Gavin Lee as Bert played the role with boundless energy and a suitable "Mock-erny" accent in place. David Haig and Linzi Hately as Mr and Mrs Banks gave the right impression of a put upon father and confused socialite respectively. Jenny Galloway as Miss Andrew, Mr Banks' old nanny and a kind of anti-Mary, hammed up the role with screeching voice and black cloak, a true Disney villain!

A range of children play Jane and Michael, and the two on opening night were simply brilliant. An obstinate thirteen year old Jane influenced by her father's short temper, and an impressionable nine year old Michael confused by his sister's outbursts, and not wanting to warm to Mary as a result.

And as for Laura Michelle Kelly as Mary Poppins - well, this young woman showed warmth and heart to a character so synonymous with Julie Andrews in a wonderfully original way. Posture, voice, mannerisms, all Mary Poppins, in her way, her style.

I won't spoil the whole story for you - it's best to see and marvel this show, but the songs should give you some idea of how it goes. I was surprised when I opened the programme to see how much the order of the songs had changed.

*   "Chim Chim Cheree" forms a sort of prologue, sung by Bert atop the Banks' home, which blends into "Cherry Tree Lane", a new song which introduces the family, servants and neighbours quickly and concisely.
*   "Being Mrs Banks" really opens up the character. No longer is she the airhead suffragette with the vacant expression, but now a frustrated and distanced mother, unable to fathom her workaholic husband and reluctant to enter into the social circles Mr Banks is trying to push her into.
*   "Jolly Holiday", instead of animated farmyard creatures, uses statues in a comedy routine, perplexing the park ranger.
*   "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" now is a result of a visit to the market, when the cast runs out of conversation, so Mary buys an ounce of conversation to perk them up! The choreography by Matthew Bourne make this the most marvelling number in the show, as the cast spell and literally dance the word out! Impressive ain't the word!
*   The new song "Brimstone and treacle", by Miss Andrews and Mary is the ultimate battle of the nannies, as Miss Andrews enforces her own brand of sugar in song, but I'm sure you can guess which type of medicinal condiment triumphs!
*   "Temper Temper", performed by the toys of the nursery, shows what happens when you abuse your toys. When Mary leaves for the evening, the children encounter their dolls in real life, who admonish them for being so rough. The nightmare comes complete with stretching room and ghoulish dolls, and by the sounds of the sobs from a few younger members of the audience, they won't be throwing their teddies against a wall any time soon!
*   "Step in Time" follows the premise of the film, as does "Feed the Birds", but a reprise encounter with Mr Banks shows that he has learned to appreciate his children more.
*   "Go Fly a Kite" gives Bert an opportunity to show we should all just listen to our inner child once in a while, and the crotchety old park ranger learns.
*   The finale, "Anything Can Happen", resolves the whole show, and is more or less an upbeat "When You Wish Upon a Star" for the new millennium!

The tight direction by Richard Eyre keeps the whole thing moving, and while the little story thread could have come unravelled to just be a series of set pieces, each scene seamlessly blends together, almost cinematically, as a whole. The characters are all fleshed out and work without stealing the stage, even Mary doesn't completely take over. You really feel for and want Mr Banks to understand his children. You want Mrs Banks to stand up for herself and be her own person. You want Jane and Michael to relate to their parents. And yes, they do.

So, the show is due to run for another eight weeks at the Hippodrome, then move to the Prince Edward in London, beginning its run on 15th December, the 40th anniversary of the film's release. Besides a few technical glitches, which will undoubtedly be ironed out very soon, the show is -- to quote another song -- "Practically Perfect".

Memorable songs, characters, special effects, sets and book make this a show that will run and run. Disney Theatricals and Mackintosh have a sure fire hit on their hands here, taking the source material, and making hugely entertaining art that everyone from eight to eighty can enjoy.

Trust me, everyone in that age group was there yesterday, and probably outside it too.

As Michael said: "She may be sneaky, but she's bloody good!"

Jane

« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2004, 05:45:54 PM »

Danise-LOL- ;D

Jane

« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2004, 06:48:35 PM »

Bruce I hope your day went well.  While Panni was helping you move I was keeping the home fires burning. :)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2004, 06:51:23 PM »

Noel wrote:  "But students bred on AI habits are all too often resistant to learning different habits, habits that would get them jobs."

Can you ellaborate?  I've never watched AI, but I'm interested in knowing what these bad habits are.

DW Joy is more the expert on what-passes-on-Idol than I am, as I tend to instantly forget bad television and haven't seen an episode since the Oakland girl (was London her name?) looked like a prohibitive favorite.

In general, American Idol singers frill up their notes, without regard to the meaning or emotion of the lyric involved.  Joy was particularly exercised about some guy's rendition of the lovely Don McLean song, Vincent, about Van Gogh's suffering.  Performed simply, the song's a gem.  On Idol, it was filled with show-offy vocal pyrotechnics, each having nothing to do with any human feeling (other than "Look at me!")

What I teach, and what everybody I respect teaches, is to act the lyric, paying careful attention to intention; make every breath a motivated dramatic pause, etc.  My students wouldn't be caught dead fancifying a note on a word that didn't warrant it.  On Idol, Paula Abdul would say something encouraging to them.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jane

« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2004, 07:00:12 PM »

Noel, even if I don’t stay in the West Village, chances are I will get there.  My nieces live in the area and I of course want to see where they live and the neighborhood they live in.  I looked online for the Abingdon Square Hotel-

http://www.abingdonguesthouse.com/rooms.shtml

This place looks too nice and romantic to stay in without Keith.

Jane

« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2004, 07:05:06 PM »

I can't find the prices without logging in.  They must be very high, even with the 50% off on the third night.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2004, 07:18:04 PM »

Everytime someone mentioned "AI" on the board today, I thought they were talking about Artificial Intelligence.  Boy, am I out of the cultural loop.

The home fries look like they might be getting a tad bit cold and soggy.  What's going on?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2004, 07:21:08 PM »

LOL so did I.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2004, 07:21:22 PM »

The home fries look like they might be getting a tad bit cold and soggy.  What's going on?

Maybe everyone's out celebrating Allen Funt's birthday!  If he were still alive, he'd be 90 today.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2004, 07:22:06 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2004, 07:22:48 PM »

Allen Funt's birthday?  Well, that was something I least expected!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2004, 07:25:36 PM »

And Elvira's birthday is tomorrow.  Maybe people are getting a head start on her birthday!  According to my Futurama calendar, Elvira (a.k.a. Cassandra Peterson) was born in 1951, but according to IMDb, she was born in 1949.  Hmmm. ::)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2004, 07:26:45 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2004, 07:30:04 PM »

Noel is Greenwich Village the same as West Village?  When I looked on the hotel site it refers to the lovely neighborhood as Greenwich but I thought you said West Village.  I’m confused.

Is Elvira still on TV?

François de Paris

« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2004, 07:36:39 PM »

MOVING DAY:

a wonderful Mickey Mouse short cartoon of 1936!

http://www.mda.dds.nl/K-MM-85.htm

Jane

« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2004, 07:44:47 PM »

Should I be able to read that? ;D

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2004, 07:49:34 PM »

Noel is Greenwich Village the same as West Village?  When I looked on the hotel site it refers to the lovely neighborhood as Greenwich but I thought you said West Village.  I’m confused.

It is confusing, but yes is the short answer.

When my parents lived in Greenwich Village, the western extent of the Village was Hudson (which eventually splits into Eighth and Ninth Avnues around Abingdon Square) and the eastern extent was Washington Square Park.  Trouble is, all sorts of real estate wants to be called the Village.  East of Broadway should be called the East Village, but now you've got to be east of Third before anybody calls it the East Village.  The area I love, as my first post re the Village indicated, is west of Seventh Avenue.

Fortunately, the north and south borders have remained the same: 14th Street on the North; Houston Street on the South.  And, lest the lack of numbered streets proves confusing, Houston would be zeroth street, if it had a number.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jennifer

« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2004, 07:59:32 PM »

Joy was particularly exercised about some guy's rendition of the lovely Don McLean song, Vincent, about Van Gogh's suffering.

Some guy?

Oh, you must mean Clay Aiken. :)

François de Paris

« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2004, 08:03:18 PM »

Should I be able to read that? ;D
NO! I cant' read that either! :D

It's for the color pics at the bottom of the page!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2004, 08:06:54 PM »

Happy to report that MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS looks wonderful on the new DVD. There hasn't been any restoration on it so there are speckles, dirt, and a few artifacts during the film, but it still looks better than it's EVER looked on video or broadcast.

The sound has been rechanneled for Dolby Digital 5.1 and Bennett's score sounds simply splended. A few of the sound effects have also been sent to the surrounds, but it's hard to turn a soundtrack this old into something sounding remotely modern. (A mono remix has also been included, but I didn't listen to it.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up