Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MAKING A DENT  (Read 12154 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
MAKING A DENT
« on: September 19, 2004, 12:40:41 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've made a dent in the notes, the notes have made a dent in you, and now it is time to post until the dented cows come home.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 12:07:45 AM by bk »

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:MAKING A DENT
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2004, 01:09:49 AM »

First Post!  Huzzah!!

However, it's beddy-by time for me.  Growing up, I learned this:

Good night, sleep tight.
Don't let the bedbugs bite.
And if they do, just take your shoe
And knock them black and blue.
But don't hurt Oscar, 'cuz he's new!

I don't know where, or exactly when I learned this, but learn it, I did.  So, good night!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 01:11:42 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2004, 01:11:48 AM »

1:12 am - welcome 21 GUESTS!!!  We're talkin' about anything in tarnation you want to talk about it.  Come on it, the posting's fine.

George

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2004, 01:12:44 AM »

And congratulations, BK on the audience's end-of-show reactions, at least!  I've performed in shows and have gotten similar reactions.  We'd be doing the show and every time we'd go off-stage or during intermission, we'd talk back stage about how unresponsive the audience is, but then the show ends and they're all on their feet.  You can never tell.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Angela

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 01:13:23 AM »

It's an illusion -- I'm not really here.....
Where ever you go, there you are.........

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2004, 01:16:21 AM »

So...  Since it's Free-For-All Day, here are some interesting bits and pieces of conversations I've heard over the past couple of days while walking around the city...

Scenario: Outside a nightclub.  This young woman turns to her male friend and yells(!):

"I can't believe you forgot the rufies!?!?!?"

:o

Scenario: Waiting on the platform at Union Station for the Red Line train.  -Keep in mind that Union Station is the beginning/end of the line for the Red Line routes.

Husband: "So, is this the one we get on to go to 7th Street?"
Passerby (not me): "All trains from here go towards 7th Street."
Wife: "No, we need to get on the other one going in the other direction."
Passerby: "Well, all the trains from here go towards 7th Street.  You can take either the Wilshire/Western or the North Hollywood ones."  -He then gets on the train heading toward Wilshire/Western.  The train leaves.
Husband: "Should we have gotten on that train?"
Wife: "No we need to get on the one going the other direction."
Husband: He goes over the map to check out the route... Looks puzzled.
-Meanwhile, a train marked "North Hollywood" pulls in.
Husband: "Do we get on this one?"
Wife: "No.  We need to get on the other one."
Husband: "Which other one?"
-Meanwhile, I board the train to North Hollywood.
And as the train's doors closes, the husband and wife - well, more like the wife - are still arguing about which train to take.  Ah, well...

:P

Scenario: Outside another nightclub.  Two young women and a young man standing on the sidewalk smoking cigarettes.  The young woman offers her cigarette to her girlfriend:

"OK, that's all I needed.  I can only really take one or two puffs at a time or I get sick.  But that was a really good cigarette."

Hmmm....

???

« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 01:17:35 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2004, 01:46:40 AM »

On my walk from the Hollywood and Vine station to the theatre tonight, I got to put my three semesters of college level French to good use.

A woman stopped me, and was trying to ask me where the Chinese Theatre was.  And she had a French accent if you haven't guessed by now.  I pointed out that she had to walk up to Highland and then up to Hollywood Blvd.  But she wasn't understanding me.

"Ou est Le Chinese?  Orange Street?"

Then she noticed that I had a cell phone, and she pulled out her little phone/address book she had in her fanny pack - well, I guess more like a derriere pack.  She pointed to my cell, and asked if I could call her friends who were waiting for her at the Chinese Theatre.  She even pulled out a few dollar bills to cover the call.  I said and motioned to her that that was not necessary, but "I want to."  No problem.  She then pointed to the number she wanted dialed.  "They are staying at L'Auberge Jeunesse".  Hmm... I don't recall seeing a hotel by that name while walking around the Hollywood and Highland area.  Maybe she was talking about a youth hostel?  In any case...

I noticed the phone number was short one digit.  She had a three digit area code, and then only a six digit phone number.  "Oh, I see, the middle digit is missing from the area code, and this number should go here."  Well, I tried dialing the number, but got someone's home answering machine - definitely not the "L'Auberge Jeunesse".  After a few attempts in my own broken French to explain to her that the number she had written down was missing a digit, it finally dawned upon me to ask, "Is this their cell phone number in France?  Is this a French phone number?  Telephone français?"  "Oui!".   Ahh.... Well, I somehow explained to her that I would not be able to dial the number then from my cell phone.  "Il n'est pas possible."

"Je suis perdu.  I am lost."

I was only a few blocks from the theatre, and I told her to follow me.  I just needed a place to sit down so I could draw a map for her, and the sidewalk tables outside of the cafe (which is next door to the theatre) were perfect.  I took a "What If?" postcard out of my bag, and started drawing a map.

"Nous sommes ici.  This is Santa Monica.  Le Chinese est la.  You need to walk up to Highland.  Make a right.  A droite.  Then walk up to Hollywood and make a left.  A gauche.  About 20-30 minutes.  Vingt, trente minutes."

She didn't look too happy about having to do some more walking, but she seemed to relieved to know where she was finally going.  She thanked me for the directions and the map.  I tried to explain which bus she could take up to Hollywood, but she wasn't interested in taking another bus.  Apparently, a previous bus driver had mis-guided her earlier - she was holding a Day Pass in her hand - and that's how she ended up on Santa Monica Blvd., a couple of blocks south and east of where she needed to be.

"Merci."

"Ce ne fait rien."

I hope she made it to the Chinese Theatre.  Oh, and the way she described the Chinese Theatre area - to confirm that she was heading to right place - was quite extraordinary.  I can't remember the details right now, but she had some pretty interesting ways of describing the architecture of the Hollywood+Highland complex.  She even mentioned the "chaise", the couch at the top of the stairs!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2004, 06:16:13 AM »

Good morning all!  DR Jose, I liked your french woman story.

DR Jane, yes my waterbed is great.  Only problem is the paint was still bothering me.  So I've been spending part of the night on the couch further away from the smell.

Jennifer

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2004, 06:17:35 AM »

Oh and I meant to say, DR Ben, I am SO JEALOUS.  The broadway flea market is one of my most favorite things.  Tell us if you buy anything.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2004, 07:37:05 AM »

[sigh] The Emmy Awards are tonight, but I have rehearsal, so I'll have to record them for later viewing. I suspect I'll be home in time to see the last hour or so.

Hoping that THE SOPRANOS finally wins Best Drama. They had a wonderful season, and I'd love to see the show finally win, especially since it REALLY deserved it last season and lost (once again) to THE WEST WING.

I suspect ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT will win Best Comedy, but I've tried and just can't quite get into it. I'd rather SEX AND THE CITY win for its last, really funny and poignant season.

If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2004, 07:51:03 AM »

http://www.livejournal.com/users/koaloha/29646.html
Don't know if anyone has seen this, but it's a great anecdote to start the day. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2004, 07:58:46 AM »

http://www.livejournal.com/users/koaloha/29646.html
Don't know if anyone has seen this, but it's a great anecdote to start the day. . .

Wonderful, td!

Danise

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2004, 08:17:45 AM »

Good morning all!

I dreamed  a clock was chiming nine bells (no, I don't have a clock that does that) woke up, looked at my silent clock and it was.......9:00 exactly!   How is that for an internal clock?

I'm sorry about that "critic", Bruce.   There's always going to be at least one.  Let's see him come up with something better and then he'll have room to talk.

I enjoyed your stories, Jose.  I think (and I'm not even sure of that since I can't write in French) I can say maybe 4 words in French.

Oh, I have to go.  Bear wants a walk.  Whatever Bear wants...Bear gets...   Does that sound like a musical to anyone?

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2004, 08:18:52 AM »

Just wanted to add I will be gone most of the day.  I have to take that chair back and go over to a friends house to help her with her computer.

Have a GREAT day all!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2004, 08:55:18 AM »

Earnest was ghastly.  I left at the interval, something I do very rarely.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2004, 10:02:59 AM »

I had a very nice night's sleep.  I've already unpacked two boxes and I'm feeling my oats, which is rude, I know, as I don't know the oats all that well, but feeling them I am.

Now, might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  You'd think it was a Sunday or something.

I will be going to Gelson's soon to get some things for my very empty refrigerator and shelves.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2004, 10:03:53 AM »

Outside my window people are walking their dogs, walking their children and walking themselves.  Whilst at Gelson's I shall also get batteries for my camera so I can share some photographs with you.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2004, 10:04:14 AM »

Has it occured to anyone that we are not making a dent in these here posts?

Michael

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2004, 10:27:58 AM »

A very happy birthday to DR Elmoore

Feel better real soon and come back to us

Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2004, 10:36:30 AM »

Happy Birthday DRELMORE and good vibes to you.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2004, 10:36:44 AM »

Birthday?  Birthday?  I must have been VERY tired when I wrote last night's notes.  Well, let us put on our pointy party hats and our colored tights and pantaloons, let us break out the cheese slices and ham chunks, let us dance the Hora or the Lindy, for today is the birthday of our very own elmore.  So, let's give a big haineshisway.com birthday cheer to Larry Moore, shall we?  On the count of three: One, two, three - HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHEER TO LARRY MOORE, SHALLWE!!!

Notes have been updated.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2004, 10:49:07 AM »

DRJAY - I am so sad.....I had such good hopes for the production you went to see....IMPORTANCE is in my top THREE favorite plays of ALL!!  Oh dear....I asked for bread and butter and you have given me cake!

So MRBK is not a professional songwriter, and he paid the choreographers so he could put their names on the poster, but did the choreography himself, most of the material is stolen, and the performers are ugly....well...what....no precis of the seat cushions?

Thanks for the pictures of the signing, DRPANNI....great great great.  I love seeing these "instant" exposures of events.  It's almost like being there - even though I am 2000 miles away!  And DRCP does still exist....hopefully his computer problem will be fixed soon.  Someone bought a book and didn't have the author who was RIGHT THERE sign it?!!!  Quelle frommage!

Great stories DRJOSE.  Do you know how to get to 1757 North Orange Grove Avenue from there?

We had a nice closing night - followed by the strike, of course.  Some people are SOOOOOOOOO crabby.  Ya know when the shop is next to the stage, you have to give a production more than 5 minutes to clear props and costumes before you start griping that there is "no room to work, as usual....all of this stuff has got to go!"  That woman is hateful.  I wait until she says one hateful thing to me and then I leave.  Last night it took just 15 minutes!  "You never stay for the strike...."   "No, I don't...."  
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR...nice closing night, enjoying the last few minutes...and then there she is....  I think it will be exciting at the next meeting when I suggest that we MOVE the shop into the outbuilding and the dressing rooms into the theatre - so SHE doesn't have to deal with us anymore.  Hehehehehehe.....I know several people who will vote for that!  Hehehehehehe.

Unpacking CD's.....it is like Christmas!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2004, 11:02:39 AM »

Worked a little on a romantic song, in which the lead character says goodbye to a minor character by recalling a dance they shared together 17 years earlier.  The trouble is, I don't know that I need it.  We're told, a zillion times over, in musical theatre, that every song must advance the plot.  My plot will advance whether this song is sung or not.  In fact, there's kind of a high noon showdown, or two, coming up in the scenes that follow.  Will the audience sit through this bit of nostalgia, or will they be impatient for the big confrontation ahead and not like the song?

As my last collaborator was fond of saying "These are things"
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

MBarnum

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2004, 11:10:50 AM »

Congrats JRand54 on a successful run of THE NERD!

Meanwhile on the west coast What If continues it's run...despite the "critic" who obviously knows nothing! Don't pay him any mind BK...don't let him rankle you! You can't please everyone...but you are evidently pleasing a good number of Los Angelians since they continue coming to the show!

I must go to the grocery store and buy walnuts and almonds for more luncheon snack...and if I have any money left then I will go next door to Shopko and pick up a couple of copies of IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD as it is on sale for 2 for $10.00!

Also, must head to Mervyn's and return a rug...which I really did not need in the first place.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2004, 11:32:42 AM »

Good Morning!

Yes, you guess it!  I slept in!  Ah, well...

Well, I need to start getting ready to get ready for this afternoon's show.

OH! And I'll be having dinner with another friend from the East Coast tonight who happens to be in town on some business.  My friend, Chris, was trying to surprise me with this dinner guest.  He just kept saying that someone is coming into town, and that it would be good for me to meet him.  OK.  But then I mentioned to him that I might have some other plans - which I did - and he finally said it was our friend, Mark, from NYC!  So, we'll supping somewhere tonight in Los Feliz.   Hmmm... Since it's Sunday night, it is Pie night!  So...

OK... Gotta run...

Laters...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 11:33:45 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2004, 11:37:10 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY LARRY!  [/move]

WE MISS YOU!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

George

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2004, 12:08:57 PM »

VERY MERRY (Mary or even Marry) HAPPY BIRTHDAY, D.R. ELMORE (a.k.a. LARRY MOORE) ! ! ! ! !

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2004, 12:26:01 PM »

TRUE CONFESSIONS
“Working people frequently ask retired people what they do to make their days interesting.  I went to the public library the other day.  I was only in there for about 5 minutes.  When I came out there was a city cop writing out a parking ticket.  I went up to him and said, ‘Come on, buddy, how about giving a senior a break?’  He ignored me and continued writing the ticket.

“I called him a name.  He glared at me and started writing another ticket for having worn tires.  So I called him a worse name.  He finished the second ticket and put it on the windshield with the first.  Then he started writing a third ticket.  This went on for about 20 minutes.  The more I abused him the more tickets he wrote.  

“I didn't care.  My car was parked around the corner and this one had an ‘Elect XXXXXXX’ bumper sticker on it.  I try to have a little fun each day now that I'm retired.  It's important at our age.”

XXXXXXX = Candidate of your non-choice

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2004, 12:38:38 PM »

Happy Birthday, DR Elmore!!!

-And whenever you can, please be sure to post your "cake report" for today! :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2004, 12:39:05 PM »

-And one for Stravinsky!!!
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up