Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MAKING A DENT  (Read 12170 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:MAKING A DENT
« Reply #90 on: September 19, 2004, 05:44:47 PM »

Watching the Emmy pre-show....gee these people certainly are full of themselves aren't they?  They appear on TV....just a few years ago, Burt Ward and Adam West were hot!  Today they probably couldn't even get into the auditorium....  Television (for the most part) is transitory.  Ask Faye Emerson, Clint Walker, and Lorraine Newman.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #91 on: September 19, 2004, 05:44:53 PM »

And one for Mahler. Who is dressed.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #92 on: September 19, 2004, 05:45:42 PM »

Page Four Dance!   ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #93 on: September 19, 2004, 05:46:18 PM »

Is chat tomorrow night?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: September 19, 2004, 05:47:44 PM »

I'm back, and to prove it, I'm here.  We were all sort of dreading today because once again our group sales lady screwed up (these matinees were added at her behest) - as of yesterday we only had about twenty people coming today, and I really didn't like the thought of attending yet another performance where the audience doesn't make any noise (it would have made four in a row, after our last three) - however, to my surprise we had a really big house, and more pleasant than even that was the fact that they were like ninety percent of our audiences - hugely vocal and wonderfully appreciative.  It was like a shot of adreneline for the cast and they did a great job.  The new song got a great reaction and many laughs.  And now I must eat something before I fall over.  Or perhaps I'll fall over and then eat something.

Panni

« Reply #95 on: September 19, 2004, 05:48:48 PM »

To get back to the drawings... My friend was (still is, I assume) Japanese. The drawings are done in that clean Japanese style with a minimum of detail. Plus, my hair was short and curly back then. And I'm holding a cigarette! So, I don't think people would leap to the conclusion that the woman in the pic was the hostess giving the tea party. (Not that I give tea parties. But it's a nice image.)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #96 on: September 19, 2004, 06:07:31 PM »

Perhaps you could make it a challenge to yourself to guess how long it would take your guests to make the realization....

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #97 on: September 19, 2004, 06:10:01 PM »

JRand-great dance.

Bruce-congrats on the receptive audience today.

Panni can you post a photo of yourself with short curly hair?  It is difficult to imagine you that way.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: September 19, 2004, 06:34:54 PM »

Let's have loads of Emmy posts - need to hear about wardrobe and speeches and such.  I don't get my Direct TV back until Tuesday.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #99 on: September 19, 2004, 06:38:45 PM »

Good Evening!

Yes, we had a wonderful show - good energy, good performances, and a great audience.  Any my "seafood quotient" was pretty low today too!  :)

Just three more to go...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2004, 06:42:37 PM »

DR Panni, I think the pictures sound quite fascinating. By all means if they are indeed good they should be framed and displayed. A hallway would be a grand place to put them, even a living room would work if you can get some nice frames and they would match your other decor.

Jane

« Reply #101 on: September 19, 2004, 06:47:43 PM »

Guess I will check out the Emmy’s now.  I have been recording the show and will just speed through it.  Keith isn’t interested in watching.  

MBarnum

« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2004, 06:50:36 PM »

After seeing everyone's posts on how many CDs they had, I felt like I needed to add some more to my collection, so I wandered over to Borders and went on a mini CD frenzy! Actually, I was in need of some new music.

I picked up some interesting items which I have not listened to yet...however one I am currently listening to is THE VERY BEST OF AMR DIAB. He is a pop music singer from Egypt...don't know what possessed me to pick up this CD (actually I bought two of his CDS!) but I am certainly glad that I did. He has a fantastic voice and the songs are very good! There was a third CD by him at the store and I am thinking I may need to go back and get it!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 06:52:12 PM by MBarnum »

MBarnum

« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2004, 06:55:42 PM »

Oh, I just read that singer Skeeter Davis died today. She had that hit song in 1963, END OF THE WORLD.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2004, 07:05:43 PM »

And yet one more tale from Jose's Small-World Adventures in L.A...

When I got up to the Hollywood & Vine Station, I noticed that the 217 bus was waiting at the corner.  So, instead of heading down into the Metro, I decided to take the bus up to the Sunset/Vermont Station and walk to Chris' place from there like I usually do.

Once I was on the bus, I noticed a couple sitting next to me.  The husband was looking at a map, and the wife was looking outside the bus checking for street signs.  She eventually took the map from him and turned it right side up! ;)  That's when I also noticed their British accents.  Ah, well... Well, they still weren't sure they were heading the right or wrong direction...  So...

I asked them where they were trying to get to.  They pointed to the map they were holding, and the Crowne Plaza on Pico and Beverly was highlighted.  The bus routes they were supposed to take were highlighted too.  Apparently, they got on the right bus, the 217, but in the wrong direction.  Hmm, the Crowne Plaza!  I know where that is!  So...  I just told them to get off the bus with me at the Sunset/Vermont Station, and I would show them where to go from there.

We get to the Sunset/Vermont station, and I walk them over to the guide map.  -Just go downstairs, take the Red Line towards Union Station, go two stops to the Beverly/Sunset station, take the 14 Bus on the North Side of the street all the way to your hotel.  Thankfully, they had purchased Day Passes for the Metro/Bus system, so they didn't have to worry about buying another ticket.  So...

My friend, Jay - not DR Jay - is a tour operator, and he has tours come through L.A. on a regular basis.  And when he's in town, he and his group stay at the Crown Plaza on Pico and Beverly.  And when he was in town a couple of weeks ago, I went to visit him at the Crowne Plaza on Pico and Beverly.   And I took the 14 Bus to get to and from there.  So...

Well, Jay is in town this week with his groups, so I called Jay, and asked him if today was one of his groups free-for-all days.  It was/is.  And I also asked him if his group was from the UK.  And they were/are!  So, it looks like I may have helped one of his couples get back to their hotel!

Small world!

*And now I'm about to head out to dinner with a bunch of friends... One of whom I introduced to his wife a couple of years ago.... And five years and two beautiful daughters later.... :D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2004, 07:08:42 PM »

DR Panni - As long as you're not ashamed of them, then put them on display anywhere you wish!  It's not exactly like you're showing off, nor that you're an exhibitionist.  And if someone happens to ask who the subject is, then you can proudly answer that you are the one in the drawings!

Now, if they had big captions on them saying, "Anna in the nude with cigarette".. well, that would be a different story. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2004, 07:30:29 PM »

It's raining. That's the big news story here.

I'm eating pizza. That's the other big news story.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Panni

« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2004, 07:44:47 PM »

Now, if they had big captions on them saying, "Anna in the nude with cigarette".. well, that would be a different story. ;)

...And a more interesting one.

Panni

« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2004, 07:46:12 PM »

I'm going to have some supper -- then Emmy time on my new TV.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2004, 07:47:05 PM »

This is a first for me--I'm currently the only one here!  How's that old saying go...Sad to be all alone in the world!

Feeling somewhat better today but still kind of groggy.  Thanks to DR Jane for the vibes--I do believe that they were my first.  Thankee!

By the way Jane, if you are staying in the West Village, you should check out an eatery that's actually named Tavern On Jane.  I've never been there myself, but I've heard good things about it.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  A HAPPY & HEALTHY BIRTHDAY TO DR ELMORE ! ! ! ! ![/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2004, 07:52:07 PM »

There is a Pete's Coffee half a mile down the road from the Crown Plaza.  We once stayed at the hotel.  The angle of the bathroom sink was very strange and uncomfortable.

We have an acorn tree outside that pelts acorns against our sliding glass window.  It just sounded as if a huge rock hit the window. :o

Jane

« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2004, 07:55:17 PM »

I’m not sure I want to eat at a place called Tavern on Jane.  ;D I will ask my nieces if they have been there.

Continue to feel better.

Goodnight.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2004, 08:00:15 PM »

Someone here was commenting the other day about the dearth of excellent theater posters these days. In today's LA Times there was an insert for the upcoming season of the Geffen Playhouse. Each of the plays had a full page poster by Paul Davis. And they're just wonderful!

I love Paul Davis' work.  I have window cards from The Cherry Orchard, For Colored Girls and The Mystery of Edwin Drood.  His Threepenny Opera is an eBay holy grail for me.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2004, 08:06:04 PM »

DR Panni,

How about hanging the pictures in the bathroom?

Gord had a friend, Muri, who was a well-known drag queen in Toronto. (Hold on - you'll soon see where I'm going.) His day job was as a dressmaker. One day Muri's dad paid an unexpected visit to Muri's apartment. He was drawn to a photo of Muri in drag. Finally, the father asked, "Who is this woman? She looks so familiar." "Oh, she's one of my clients," Muri replied.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 08:08:13 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2004, 08:19:46 PM »

SPOILER WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do not read below if you're a West Coaster and haven't seen the Emmys yet.

So sorry. I thought it was a live broadcast over there like the Oscars.

If I had been home, I would have been providing running commentary on the Emmys, but I didn't get back until a little before 10. I saw THE AMAZING RACE win and everything after that, but I missed all the supporting awards and writing awards and directing awards (except Mike Nichols' win that came late in the show).

And stupid me set the wrong channel to be recorded, so I didn't get them on the DVR. So, I just finished reading about them on the internet. There really was only one winner I could quibble about: Allison Janney. I don't care how you cut it, she's not a leading actress on that show. It's a supporting role and always has been.

I guess ANGELS did become the all-time single show champion with 11 Emmys. And I was thrilled to see some folks like Cynthia Nixon, Michael Imperioli, and Drea de Mateo win who had never won before.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 08:22:37 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2004, 08:21:07 PM »

Forgot to send GOOD HEALTH VIBES to Dan the Man! Better late than never.
Enjoying the Emmys. Next year I want to be there and give a seat warmer some work.
Gary Shandling is very funny - but what strange delivery.

Change of topic... As for the "art" in the bathroom. I have a tiny bathroom and it's already filled with art.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2004, 08:21:20 PM »

And how shocked was I that the Emmys were not in high definition! ABC must REALLY be cutting corners. Neither Miss America nor the Emmys in high def! Come on! It's the 21st century.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2004, 08:24:15 PM »

To get back to the drawings... My friend was (still is, I assume) Japanese. The drawings are done in that clean Japanese style with a minimum of detail. Plus, my hair was short and curly back then. And I'm holding a cigarette! So, I don't think people would leap to the conclusion that the woman in the pic was the hostess giving the tea party. (Not that I give tea parties. But it's a nice image.)

I would say frame one or two and hang 'em.  If anyone should mention any kind of resemblance, just say that the model is a member of the family.  If they persist, roll your eyes and start talking about your madcap Aunt Ida.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2004, 08:34:57 PM »

Emmy report.... They're relentless about playing people off. It is SO annoying. Which led up to the best line of the night so far. The writer/creator of ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT won. He was barely into his speech when the music began. He continued his speech, but said, "I'd like to sing this, if I may."

Panni

« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2004, 08:41:57 PM »

I would say frame one or two and hang 'em.  If anyone should mention any kind of resemblance, just say that the model is a member of the family.  If they persist, roll your eyes and start talking about your madcap Aunt Ida.
I wouldn't bother with that, Dan. I'm not at all shy that way. My biggest problem is that I don't have wall space ANYWHERE.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up