Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: POSSESSED  (Read 11917 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
POSSESSED
« on: September 20, 2004, 12:07:20 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've been possessed by the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the possessed cows come home.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 12:00:15 AM by bk »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:POSSESSED
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 12:17:18 AM »

Good Evening! Good Morning!

<knock wood>

Thankfully, at least to my memory, I have never really had a true computer horror story.  Yes, I've lost files unexpectedly, and/or had my computer freeze up in the middle of something.  But I've never had a problem that didn't cause me more than just a few minutes of inconveniences.  Now, if you want to talk about electronic keyboard and synthesizer programming, then that's a whole 'nother story!

<knock wood>
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 12:19:00 AM »

I can't think of any computer tails of horror. Usually it's not the computer but some inept person -- like the AOL tech who made me lose years worth of saved mail. Or sometimes the ineptitude comes from little old me. One wrong key stroke and....

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 12:21:50 AM »

BK - You cursor problem sounds like it could be a problem with your touchpad, if you have such a thing installed on your laptop.  If you do have a touchpad, it may just be a matter of opening it's Properties box and "disabling the taps" or adjusting the sensitivity.

You may also want to check your Mouse properties.  The "snap to" option may be set.

Then again, it could be just "one of those things" that happens from time to time.

My laptop - which has served me very well for the past couple of years - does have an issue with the touch pad.  Well, it has developed into a "problem" over the past couple of months.  I use a standard mouse now instead of the touchpad.  The touchpad is just too touchy - or not touchy at all - right now.  But, again, it was an easily diagnosed and easily worked-around problem, so...

<knock wood>
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 12:27:48 AM »

Mouse pad properties?  Where do I find such a thing?  I thought a mouse pad property was a house where a mouse lives.  What's a touch pad?  

Danise

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 03:45:38 AM »

Just a real quick good morning.  I feel like scum on the half shell because I didn't pick up that it was DRElmores birthday yesterday.  

But right now, I don't even have time for a proper BAD ME!  :(  :-[

Have a good day everyone!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ben

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 05:07:54 AM »

The Minnesota State Fair, being in the middle of Dairy Country (next to Wisconsin, the Cheese Capital of the Country), has a competition to choose Princess Kay of the Milky Way. This lovely woman, along with all the other contestants, gets an image of her head carved into a 90 pound block of butter and a crown is attached. Here is one such carving, Miss Rebecca Lynn Hoeper, from Wadena County in Sebeka, MN. I don't think the Miss America contestants would sit in a chilled dairy freezer in a parka wearing mittens to further their chances in a paegant!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 05:50:46 AM »

Now what, pray tell, does one do with one's butter head after the competition is over?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004, 06:32:02 AM »

Why, you melt it down for real butter on your popcorn!

There is a very nice Fred Ebb tribute on the Radio Show this week. If you can listen to it, surf on over.

Jennifer

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2004, 07:03:39 AM »

Re: last night's Emmys

I liked Elaine Stritch.  Her speech was hilarious.

I also loved Cynthia Nixon and Sarah Jessica Parker.  Very happy about those two wins.

I was not happy that they cut off SJP though.  They let Al Pacino talk on and on (which is fine).  But they must have realized that most people enjoy SJP's speeches.  She is so emotional and it made me so mad when they started playing the music!

Jennifer

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2004, 07:06:01 AM »

DR George asked why Chris Noth asked Sarah Jessica Parker to marry him during their presenter banter.

My best guess (and because I love Sex & The City) is because a lot of fans were disappointed at how the show ended.  I wanted Mr Big to propose to her.  And he never did.  So that's probably why he did it last night.

MBarnum

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2004, 07:18:42 AM »

I can't think of any computer tails of horror. Usually it's not the computer but some inept person -- like the AOL tech who made me lose years worth of saved mail. Or sometimes the ineptitude comes from little old me. One wrong key stroke and....

DR Panni, you and I must have had the same AOL tech! I had one who made me also lose all of my saved e-mails! I was so not happy! He also wiped out all of my "favorites" or "bookmarks" whichever you call them...and I had plenty!

Currently, my computer problem is ad-ware. I have some on my computer that I can't seem to get rid of. Everytime I run my ad-ware buster the darn things keep reinstalling themselves! I even went and found the dang things and tried to delete them myself...but you can't! I think there should be a law!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 07:20:37 AM by MBarnum »

Ben

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2004, 07:34:44 AM »

Most likely the reason you delete the programs and they "re-appear" the next time you boot up is because they have embedded themselves in the "registry" which is part of the infamous Windows Operating System. You can do all the right things to try and clean up your system but if some nefarious program has slipped code into the registry, usually the only way clean it out is with professional help. Editing the registry if you're unfamiliar with what's in there (and it can be mighty confusing, obscure and arcane don't begin to describe it) you can shut down the entire computer.

Damn spyware and adware. Damn it all to hell!!!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2004, 07:55:48 AM »

Emmy Thoughts:

I couldn't connect too much of the excitement of last night's awards simply because so many of the nominees are from HBO, which I don't have.  Otherwise, I was happy (and very surprised) that Kelsey Grammer and David Hyde Pierce won.  Disappointed that Angela Lansbury didn't win for The Blackwater Lightship (in fact, I've been very disappointed that this telemovie didn't garner more noms--it was easily the best and most moving drama I've seen on TV last season.)  And Allison Janney went one better on my pet peeve of winners mentioning the other nominees in their category--she insisted that they join her up on stage.  Tacky!

I agree with everyone who mentioned that Shandling was off-kilter.  His material was funny, but the delivery was wierd.  The funniest bits were the clips that the various comedy writing teams sent in and Meryl Streep's acceptance speech.  Best unintentionally funny moment was Tome Selleck trying to introduce the In Memorium clip while appreciative members of the audience were wolf-whistling and hooting at him.

I'm not sure what to make of Elaine Stritch.  On the one hand, I can appreciate her excitement at winning but on the other hand, you would think that by now she would be able to compose herself and deliver a speech.  She pretty much set herself up to become the butt of jokes for the rest of the evening.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2004, 08:08:40 AM »

Currently, my computer problem is ad-ware. I have some on my computer that I can't seem to get rid of. Everytime I run my ad-ware buster the darn things keep reinstalling themselves! I even went and found the dang things and tried to delete them myself...but you can't! I think there should be a law!

MB, have you tried Spybot Search & Destroy?  It's one of the best spywear removal utilities out there.
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2004, 08:14:17 AM »

We've had our share of bum computers, including our last one, a Gateway, which was, quite simply, the computer from hell.

But like Jose, my worst computer-related nightmare was a computer-chipped keyboard I was using for Music Directing Putting it Together in its northwest premiere here many years ago.  Huge Equity house, great cast, etc., except the company was going out of business and so asked me to reduce the two piano score to one, which necessitated me recording some tracks on this keyboard and then performing live to playback.  It took some deft maneuvering, especially in the opening number, but it all worked surprisingly well.

Until one night, that is, when during the one really quiet moment of the show--second act, just as the Night Music medley was starting, for some reason the metronome on the keyboard went off, with a huge jarring clanging sound going out over the whole sound system.  Now as if that weren't bad enough, they had the three piece band on the stage, up very high on a huge column upstage, so as it happened the entire cast broke character, looked around, and my bass player and drummer just collapsed into giggles.  I was madly pushing buttons trying to get the damned thing to stop, and finally had to shut off the keyboard, and reboot.  It was a moment.

To top it all off, the nazi stage manager came back after the show and read us all  the riot act for disrupting the performance, as if we had done it intentionally.

BTW, all AOL "tech help" (and I use the term beyond loosely) will ever say is "uninstall your AOL adapter."  It has been their rote response for absolutely every problem I've had with AOL.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2004, 09:58:11 AM »

No posts for over an hour?!?  Skammen!

DR Panni, have you made any decisions regarding the nudes of you?

-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2004, 09:58:33 AM »

Good morning (loosely speaking) - I've not had the greatest so far. A little car mishap - for which my friendly neighborhood garage has just told me I have to visit The Body Shop. I hear the sound of money migrating from my wallet.
Other stuff, too. But boring.

Panni

« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2004, 09:59:48 AM »

DR Panni, have you made any decisions regarding the nudes of you?

I'm going to use them for a screen saver. ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2004, 10:05:39 AM »

Good Morning!

DR Panni - Maybe you could scan one of the nudes and use it as your new avatar!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2004, 10:07:48 AM »

...And then you could switch back and forth between your cheerleader outfit pic!
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2004, 10:15:51 AM »

Good morning (loosely speaking) - I've not had the greatest so far. A little car mishap - for which my friendly neighborhood garage has just told me I have to visit The Body Shop.

The garage told you that your car needs glycerine soaps and fragrant lotions?  I would get a second opinion on that.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2004, 10:17:20 AM »

Good Morning!

DR Panni - Maybe you could scan one of the nudes and use it as your new avatar!!

I was thinking that someone should use the Big Butter Head Beauty Queen as an avatar.  Who's from Wisconsin?
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2004, 10:20:27 AM »

From yesterday... -Sorry I can't recall the original poster...

RE: Windows XP Service Pack - I've heard horror stories from a bunch of people about this latest update.  My friend, Steve, who uses his computers for work and home stuff had to basically reinstall the original Windows XP after installing the update.  And, apparently, even the tech guy he got a hold of at Microsoft said that for some configurations, the Service Pack could be quite unstable.  Thankfully, due to the way the service pack installs itself, he did not lose any of his programs or his files.  Whew!  But he was in a constant "boot cycle" for a good hour or two.

As for me, I'm still on Windows 98 Second Edition... And I'm still happy with it.  No major problems.  <knock wood>

And I've also never really had any problems with AOL either, so... <knock wood>

*My theory about my non-problematic AOL - and I've seen it posted elsewhere too - is that I don't have the "usual" AOL problems since I do most of my web-browsing "outside" of AOL.  That is, I open an Internet Explorer window to do my web-surfing and browsing, rather than using the embedded version of IE that is part of AOL.  This method apparently doesn't fill up AOL's settings and various backup folders with all the standard "trails" and junk that come from web-surfing.  And it also helps in dealing with virus programs that take advantage of AOL's vulnerabilities.  Again, just a theory.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2004, 10:26:57 AM »

My most horrific computer problem has been well documented.  In a nutshell, my computer died back in April for no apparent reason (I had just moved, but that shouldn't have had any effect on the computer, itself).  Even my sister's boyfriend Larry (who built my computer) has no idea what happened.

Anyway, I lost everything!  ALL of my e-mail, everything that was on my computer, over 1000 (3 gigabytes) of MP3 songs, CDs that I was making, etc., etc., etc. (a King and I reference).  I wasn't able to keep up with HHW for three weeks!  I was definitely in a state of mourning for several weeks.  Even after I got a rebuilt computer, it just wasn't the same.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 10:28:43 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2004, 10:40:38 AM »

Most likely the reason you delete the programs and they "re-appear" the next time you boot up is because they have embedded themselves in the "registry" which is part of the infamous Windows Operating System. You can do all the right things to try and clean up your system but if some nefarious program has slipped code into the registry, usually the only way clean it out is with professional help. Editing the registry if you're unfamiliar with what's in there (and it can be mighty confusing, obscure and arcane don't begin to describe it) you can shut down the entire computer.

Damn spyware and adware. Damn it all to hell!!!

Like I said, there should be a law! How dare they imbed anything into my computer without my consent! It is darn annoying getting these constant pop-ups!

Dan-the-Man, I will try that Spybot Search and Destroy. I have been using the AOL Adware remover and it seems to get rid of some but not all.  I am surprised that someone doesn't sue!

MBarnum

« Reply #26 on: September 20, 2004, 10:42:39 AM »

From yesterday... -Sorry I can't recall the original poster...

RE: Windows XP Service Pack - I've heard horror stories from a bunch of people about this latest update.  My friend, Steve, who uses his computers for work and home stuff had to basically reinstall the original Windows XP after installing the update.  And, apparently, even the tech guy he got a hold of at Microsoft said that for some configurations, the Service Pack could be quite unstable.  Thankfully, due to the way the service pack installs itself, he did not lose any of his programs or his files.  Whew!  But he was in a constant "boot cycle" for a good hour or two.

As for me, I'm still on Windows 98 Second Edition... And I'm still happy with it.  No major problems.  <knock wood>

And I've also never really had any problems with AOL either, so... <knock wood>

*My theory about my non-problematic AOL - and I've seen it posted elsewhere too - is that I don't have the "usual" AOL problems since I do most of my web-browsing "outside" of AOL.  That is, I open an Internet Explorer window to do my web-surfing and browsing, rather than using the embedded version of IE that is part of AOL.  This method apparently doesn't fill up AOL's settings and various backup folders with all the standard "trails" and junk that come from web-surfing.  And it also helps in dealing with virus programs that take advantage of AOL's vulnerabilities.  Again, just a theory.

At work they insalled a windows service pack on my computer. Afterwards the whole thing went kablooy! The computer people said the service pack was not responsible...but I don't know about that!

I honestly do not have much trouble with AOL...at least not on my new computer.

MBarnum

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2004, 10:45:59 AM »

By the way, Diana Darrin and Laurie Mitchell attended the big whoop to do at the Academy last Friday which was in celebration of the 30 year anniversary of THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT...lots of MGM musical celebs were there! I tried to call Laurie last night to find out how it was (she had never been to an Academy thing before...Diana goes quite often as she is a member) but her line was busy. I am sure she had a wonderful time...and she talked her hubby into going...if it doesn't have to do with Football he usually isn't interested! LOL!

MBarnum

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2004, 10:47:42 AM »

Hey, all you reality competion fans..did you watch the new SURVIVOR?

All I can say is...BRADY! Yum!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2004, 10:49:46 AM »

I tire of Page One.  Someone take us to Page Two and quickly.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up