Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: MAKING A DENT  (Read 12109 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:MAKING A DENT
« Reply #150 on: September 19, 2004, 11:16:46 PM »

Yes, which restaurant was this?

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #151 on: September 19, 2004, 11:19:52 PM »

Obviously, I have returned from my concert.  It was a swell evening and a fine way to bring my Hollywood Bowl season to an end.

Mr. John Mauceri led the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra.  The first half consisted of:

Loewe:  Gigi--Main Title, Fountain Scene, and Chez Maxim Waltz

Gershwin:  An American in Paris

Debussy:  Claire de lune

Rozsa:  Madame Bovary Waltz

The second half began with an unannounced rendition of Mancini's Theme from The Pink Panther.

Then, Maestro Mauceri and the orchestra accompanied a modern jazz combo from Paris called, appropriately enough, Paris Combo.  They played a set of about six songs, which was pleasant enough.

They were followed by some rather exuberant dancers from the Moulin Rouge in Paris, who performed to various excerpts of typical Offenbach can-can music.  There were about twenty girls and one boy.  The male dancer's unusual terpsichorean feats have led me add double-jointedness to the long list I have been keeping of required qualifications for my next lover.

The official program concluded with the overture to Offenbach's La Vie Parisienne, accompanied by some spectacular fireworks.  The pyrotechnicians missed the opportunity to create a red windmill, but they did pull off a kicking can-can dancer.

As an encore, the orchestra played the theme from the first film called Moulin Rouge, which starred, to quote Maestro Mauceri, those two great French actors, Jose Ferrer and Zsa Zsa Gabor.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #152 on: September 19, 2004, 11:25:03 PM »

Which restaurant was this, Dear Reader Jose?  I want to be sure to avoid it.

Puran's on Hillhurst.

I've actually eaten there a few times since I've been in town, and, yes, the food may not be spectacular, but it's been good, and the pricing is fair.  Tonight seemed kind of like an anomaly.

The one thing I did notice - or rather did not notice tonight - was the wife of the owner/manager standing behind the counter.  The few times when I've been in there and she's been running the ship, the service and the food have been impeccable.  She even timestamps the order sheets as they are placed on the "carousel"!  And I've seen her take a waiter, cook, and busboy off to the side to discuss a "matter" with them from time to time.  And the two or three times I've ordered take out, she's made sure my order was not "cooked" at the "dining in" pace in the kitchen.  She's that good!

Tonight, everyone just seemed lax and uninterested.  The husband was just talking with everyone.  And the amount of times our waiter just seemed to disappear grew uncountable - and unforgivable - after a while.

OH! -And one very interesting side note from tonight's dining experience...  One of the people at our table is highly allergic to onions (I can't imagine?!?!?).  Anaphylactic shock allergic.  He wanted to order the filet mignon, or any other piece of steak they had on the menu.  The waiter informed us that all of their steaks are marinated and that the marinade contains onions.  Hmm.. ALL of their steaks are marinated?  Even their filet mignon?  Even their steak for their steak-frite plate?  We left wondering exactly what that said about the quality of their meat.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 11:30:14 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #153 on: September 19, 2004, 11:26:42 PM »

Oh, and I will say, the phrase "House of Pies" was uttered a few times throughout our meal. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #154 on: September 19, 2004, 11:29:22 PM »

I shall now turn into a Wussburger and leave HHW for the night.  Actually, I'm not going to bed, I'm just going to watch Ebert & Roper, then go to sleep.  So good night all!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2004, 11:29:46 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #155 on: September 19, 2004, 11:44:56 PM »

I think there was caffeine in my popcorn. I am SO not tired.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #156 on: September 19, 2004, 11:57:21 PM »

...And I'm actually tired right now... So strange?!?!? It's still "early" for me!
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up