Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: POSSESSED  (Read 11894 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:POSSESSED
« Reply #120 on: September 20, 2004, 10:53:05 PM »

I've never seen "Ghost Story."  I vaguely remember the commercials for it, because I remember thinking that the idea of Fred Astaire being in a scary movie was very strange!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #121 on: September 20, 2004, 11:00:39 PM »

This isn't it, but the program that my friend has is a bit like this.  I hope it doesn't offend...I'll remove it if it does ::) and this one's not nude.  I just think it's kind of funny:
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #122 on: September 20, 2004, 11:04:34 PM »

I'm being a bit maniacal this evening, trying to get things put away.  I'm just sort of shoving things in drawers and getting stuff out of the way so I don't have to look at all the clutter.  Then, at my leisure, I'll go through all the drawers and organize.  Tomorrow I start hanging pictures.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #123 on: September 20, 2004, 11:16:41 PM »

Good Evening!

DR George - Pop-ups?  I've never had pop-ups here on HHW.  Hmmm...

-Of course, now that I've "said" that...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #124 on: September 20, 2004, 11:23:26 PM »

Does anyone in the Hollywood area plan to see The Ten Commandments: The Spectacle Musical with Val Kilmer?  According to THIS Playbill.com article, it begins tomorrow and opens September 27 (which just happens to be my sister's birthday).

Has anyone heard anything about it?  Is it going to be a huge, giant bomb or does anyone think that will it actually do well??  Inquiring minds want to know!

Hmmm... I'll say this for now... A friend of mine has been doing some behind-the-scenes work on the show... And when I asked him if I should try to see the show before I leave L.A... Well, he basically said there were better things I could do with my time and money, so...

So... If I can sneak it in somehow tomorrow night or Wednesday...  -Heck, I saw "The Brown Bunny", so...

But there is some "talent" in the cast: Lauren Kennedy, Luba Mason, etc.

And, somehow, the show has been nicknamed "The Ten Assertions".  I'm not exactly sure how that nickname came about, but it sounds funny... for all the wrong reasons... of course.

I just have to wonder why the producers didn't just ahead and produce their own version of "The Ten Commandments", rather than "buying" the original French version, then hiring a new team to re-write the book and the music.  Hmm... ???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #125 on: September 20, 2004, 11:24:44 PM »

I'm being a bit maniacal this evening, trying to get things put away.  I'm just sort of shoving things in drawers and getting stuff out of the way so I don't have to look at all the clutter.  Then, at my leisure, I'll go through all the drawers and organize.  Tomorrow I start hanging pictures.  

Best of luck to you!  Whenever I try that method of "organizing", I usually end up proving the old adage of "Out of sight, out of mind."

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #126 on: September 20, 2004, 11:25:17 PM »

Good Evening!

DR George - Pop-ups?  I've never had pop-ups here on HHW.  Hmmm...

-Of course, now that I've "said" that...

I haven't either, until I installed Spybot-Search & Destroy...but then I was mucking around after that, so I could've done something wrong.  Actually, it's entirely possible.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: September 20, 2004, 11:30:26 PM »

When I was in the hotel last week they kept showing scenes from The Ten Commandments on the hotel station.  It was one of the stupidest-looking things I've ever seen, complete with those ridiculous "Rent" microphones.  

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #128 on: September 20, 2004, 11:33:35 PM »

Dear Reader Jose and I were at the historic Alex Theatre in downtown Glendale, California, U.S.A. this evening, Dear Readers.  Tonight was the first presentation of the season for the Musical Theatre Guild, and the featured show was My Favorite Year, with music by Mr. Stephen Flaherty, lyrics by Miss Lynn Ahrens and book by Mr. Joseph Dougherty, based on the film of the same name.  Mr. Dougherty was in the audience this evening.

I was pleasantly surprised when I opened my program to see that Mr. David Engel was cast as Alan Swann, the dipsomaniac swashbuckling movie star, played by Peter O'Toole in the film.  Mr. Engel was splendid; he has a terrific singing voice and played the part with great panache.  Mr. Richard Israel was a credible Benjy Stone and both Miss Eydie Alyson as Alice Miller and Miss Eileen Barnett as Belle made excellent work of their parts.

I had not been exposed to My Favorite Year previously, and I enjoyed it quite a bit.  It is not without its flaws, however.  The first act curtain is rather weak, and the story line involving Swann and his daughter is handled in rather maudlin fashion.  But there are several excellent roles with some genuinely funny lines, and the score--which covers a broad range of mood and situation--is quite enjoyable.

Just few seats away from Dear Reader Jose and me was Mr. Lenny Wolpe, on his night off from the national tour of Little Shop of Horrors, which I will be seeing on Thursday evening.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 11:36:02 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #129 on: September 20, 2004, 11:35:56 PM »

I see DR Jay...

We went to see the Musical Theatre Guild's concert version of My Favorite Year at the beautiful(!) Alex Theatre in Glendale earlier tonight.  Some wonderful performances, and even with some "requisite" sound problems, the music and lyrics of Ahrens and Flaherty were showcased nicely.  "Nicely" - sorry, just can't think of the proper phrasing right now.

It's been a while since I've listened to the score.  I had forgotten just how touching some of those ballads are/can be.  And how comic the comics numbers are.

I also picked up a set of greeting cards that they were selling as a fundraiser.  There is currently a set of four with plans for eight more.  The front of each card presents a tableau from a famous musical.  The catch is that the "actors" in the poses are young children between the ages of two and eight, Broadway Babies.  The West Side Story and [/i]A Chorus Line[/i] cards are my favorites.  -And the inscription inside the WSS card is "Musicals Ain't for Sissies".  Very cute.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #130 on: September 20, 2004, 11:37:31 PM »

Ditto
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: September 20, 2004, 11:38:30 PM »

Much as I love David Engel, and Alan Swann he isn't.  I gather even Tim Curry wasn't.  That role is the key to the show and I believe it's one of the reasons the show failed - if they'd had Kevin Kline, then maybe things would have been different.  I'm sure David was terrific, but he's way too young for it.  I don't know Richard Israel, although the name sounds familiar.  If it's who I think it is, isn't he a bit long in the tooth for Benjy?  Or maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #132 on: September 20, 2004, 11:38:31 PM »

OH!  And we supped at a very nice Eye-talian place before the show.  We both ended up having calamari in some for or another.  And, unlike the meal I had last night, the calamari was perfectly cooked and very edible.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: September 20, 2004, 11:40:01 PM »

I went to Todai for lunch with our very own Mr. Mark Rothman.  He just calls out of the blue sometimes, or, sometimes he calls out of the red, and we just hop over to Todai and eat and eat.  Although, for me, I was very good today and didn't overdo it.

Jay

« Reply #134 on: September 20, 2004, 11:43:35 PM »

Much as I love David Engel, and Alan Swann he isn't.  I gather even Tim Curry wasn't.  That role is the key to the show and I believe it's one of the reasons the show failed - if they'd had Kevin Kline, then maybe things would have been different.  I'm sure David was terrific, but he's way too young for it.  I don't know Richard Israel, although the name sounds familiar.  If it's who I think it is, isn't he a bit long in the tooth for Benjy?  Or maybe I'm thinking of someone else.

David looked smashing with stage grey combed through his hair.

You are thinking of a different Richard Israel.  This one is thirty-something and is active with Musical Theatre Guild, West Coast Ensemble and Reprise!  He had a small part (one or two lines as one of the background corporate "suits") in The Cooler last year.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #135 on: September 20, 2004, 11:46:23 PM »

Tim Curry!  That's who played Alan Swann on Broadway!  For some reason I could not remember that earlier... ???  But I did recall Evan Pappas as Benjy.  And I've had the extreme pleasure of playing "Larger Than Life" for him at an audition a coupe of years ago.  In any case...

It was a concert version tonight, so as for being too young or too old... Well, no biggie. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #136 on: September 20, 2004, 11:47:22 PM »

I was actually going to try and get to MTG tonight, but I forgot all about it.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: September 20, 2004, 11:49:22 PM »

...And, of course, I spent a good deal of the pre-show period and intermission looking at various people in the crowd... "Ooohh... I know her.... I've worked with him... Where do I know him from?... Was she in that workshop I did two years ago in NYC?... Etc., etc., etc.."  Alas, I did not have enough chutzpah to go up to anyone and answer my own questions.  Ah, well...

Now, BK, if you had made it there tonight, you probably would have known everyone...  Ah, well...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 11:50:17 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: September 20, 2004, 11:54:37 PM »

I haven't either, until I installed Spybot-Search & Destroy...but then I was mucking around after that, so I could've done something wrong.  Actually, it's entirely possible.

...Well, there is that theory that some of those Spyware "prevention" programs are just spyware programs themselves, so...

If you have a Virus Protection program, you may want to run that too (if you haven't already).  Some of the "early" versions of spyware and adware came in the form of viruses that did no harm to your computer, they just caused ads to pop up.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

« Reply #139 on: September 20, 2004, 11:56:59 PM »

For all you David Engel fans out there in the dark:  

According to tonight's program, "David just completed shooting on Zombie Prom, a musical film playing romantic opposite to RuPaul."

'Nuff said?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up