Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: POSSESSED  (Read 11750 times)

Ben

Re:POSSESSED
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2004, 10:54:41 AM »

Here we go!

Ben

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2004, 10:54:54 AM »

Boy, did that take a long time!!!

Ben

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2004, 10:55:17 AM »

It's 1:57 Eastern Standard Time (by my little computer clock).

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2004, 11:00:09 AM »

I'm still trying to come up with a computer horror story.  The only truely horrible tale I have is when I upgraded to XP at home and lost the use of my flatbed scanner because it was not compatible with the new operating system.  I spent untold hours searching the web for new drivers to get it to work but to no avail.  It was really a shame because the scanner had a large surface that was big enough to accomodate album covers.  I love my new scanner, but it's just not the same.

But aside from that, most of my bad experiences stem more from knuckleheaded tech people than from wares of the hard and soft varieties.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 11:04:03 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

William E. Lurie

« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2004, 11:07:32 AM »

I'm back and exhausted.  We had a great time in Washington DC but you need at least a week to see all the various museums that make up the Smithsonian.

Re: Spy Wear - If your problem is called "About Blank" let me know and I'll send you a copy of the (allegedly) only spywear program that gets rid of that particular problem.

No time now (I'll catch up on the posts from when I was gone when I have a chance) but I do have one question: what Emmy did Elaine Stritch win?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2004, 11:26:10 AM »

I installed the new XP Service Pack a few weeks ago.  Aside from being about 20 MB bigger than advertised (I seem to remember the download page says 75MB and it turned out to be 93MB, which took almost all day to download on dialup), and the fact that when I rebooted after installing it took forever to finally fire up, it's been fine since.  I do admit I was VERY nervous during those several minutes that I had a black screen when I restarted my computer.  It was almost enough to make me uninstall my AOL adapter.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2004, 11:44:24 AM »

No time now (I'll catch up on the posts from when I was gone when I have a chance) but I do have one question: what Emmy did Elaine Stritch win?

She won Best Individual Performance in a Variety or Music Program.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2004, 11:45:15 AM »

I couldn't got onto the forum this morning to post. I kept getting "too many connected" error message.

I don't have a computer horror story, but I have one to share that happened to a teacher friend of mine.

Her husband was a big techie and had one of the first Machintoshes available. He begged his wife to let him show her how great having this mega-expensive computer would be. So, she said, "Okay, show me."

Unfortunately, they chose the night before report cards were due. He decided he would let the computer average her grades, so they set up a spreadsheet and entered in nine weeks' worth of grades into the computer. Took them hours to get it all entered, and then he hit the button to compute the average for about 120 student averages.

"BOOM - Welcome to Machintosh" said the screen with the little bomb icon on the screen.

"What does that mean?" she asked

"It's gone; we've just lost everything," he responded.

At 2 a.m. she got out her calculator and started averaging. Her husband slept on the couch that night.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Emily

« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2004, 11:47:49 AM »

Good afternoon all from the AUS Lounge Computer Labs!

I have Service Pack Deux for XP at home.  It took me a crazy long time to get (even with a cable internet connection it took several hours) but luckily I haven't had any problems with it not being compatible with the rest of my system.  

The only problem with SP2 is that it reinstalled my MSN Messenger somehow and now it won't tell me when I have new hotmail messages like it used to.  I have to manually check every time.  Grr...

DR Andrea and I are going dragon boating again this evening.  It is noticeably cooler here than it was last week... so here's a doubled wish that one of us doesn't end up falling into the basin!

MichaelShayne... you should be getting a PM from me soon-ish! :D
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2004, 11:49:20 AM »

I resented the crack Chris Rock made in the bathroom skit with Shandling. "Who the hell is Elaine Stritch?"

So, if someone isn't a movie star, she's not worth knowing. And her show was on HBO, the same network that hosts Rock's specials.

Sickening.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2004, 11:50:10 AM »

She actually won two:  one for Outstanding Variety or Music Program (as a producer) and another for Outstanding Individual Performer in a Variety or Music Program.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2004, 11:51:26 AM »

I can't be at chat tonight. I have rehearsal - we're blocking the 18 page opening number tonight. Should be a long night.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2004, 12:10:03 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I've been spending the past hour or so doing some more packing and sorting and purging and putting things in the recycling bin.  Whew!  And it actually looks like I'll be able to get everything into my luggage for my trip back!  -Of course, I am about to head to UPS to ship four boxes back - not big boxes, mind you, but I am shipping some stuff back.  -Most of it is stuff I had shipped out here after my arrival in L.A.

I've also been dealing with phone calls this morning.  Thankfully, they've been good phone calls!  Don't worry, I'll keep you posted.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 12:10:46 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2004, 12:16:31 PM »

I'm merrily unpacking - have done quite a few dining room boxes (none of which actually are for the dining room - I just put them in there).

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2004, 12:32:00 PM »

Hey, all you reality competion fans..did you watch the new SURVIVOR?

All I can say is...BRADY! Yum!

Agreed!

Brady Finta

And after looking at the rest of this season's line-up, it seems to a particularly photogenic bunch this time round.  *Of course, since I have really watched any of the seasons since season one...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2004, 12:33:32 PM »

Panni I think Mary-Louise Parker only looked straight on in the mirror, not sideways.  I kept thinking she was going to pop out of the dress.

To me popcorn always feels as if it has caffeine in it.

GOOD CAR VIBES!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2004, 12:33:50 PM »

My goodness, what is with these slow days?

Photos coming up.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2004, 12:34:53 PM »

The front of the new home environment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2004, 12:35:40 PM »

The back of the new home environment.

Jane

« Reply #49 on: September 20, 2004, 12:41:24 PM »

Her husband slept on the couch that night.

So that is what I should have done to Keith.  ;D - like he would do such a thing.

He sets up my holiday card mailing list (over 90 names worth) on the computer, then looses everything when the computer crashes.  He has retyped it in the past.  Last year after all was lost again, was the first since we were married I didn’t send any cards.   I’m still waiting for the new list and it’s almost time to send out this years cards.   It is going to be a real hassle.  Hmmm, I should hint I want him to work on it while I’m in NY.

Jane

« Reply #50 on: September 20, 2004, 12:48:29 PM »

Beautiful photos.

The contents of our bedroom and closet are scattered throughout the house.  This morning when we had the carpet removed.  Until Wednesday when the new carpet is installed we shall be sleeping in the guestroom.  

I have much to do.  

I need to find 3 tickets to MOVIN OUT for Oct. 7th.  Has anyone seen the show and what did you think?

Matt H.

« Reply #51 on: September 20, 2004, 01:07:25 PM »

My teacher friend said anytime she and her husband had an argument in which he was stubbornly sticking to his belief, all she'd have to say was "Boom, Welcome to Machintosh" and he'd back down. I'm not sure he'll ever live that down.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: September 20, 2004, 01:08:56 PM »

And she has never grown to like computers. Resisted using them in her classroom until she retired. Lord, I couldn't live without them once we got them in our classrooms. I often wondered how I ever did without them.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #53 on: September 20, 2004, 01:14:08 PM »

BK, the new homefront looks warm and inviting!  Here's wishing you good luck and good times there!

-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2004, 01:20:21 PM »

I need to find 3 tickets to MOVIN OUT for Oct. 7th.  Has anyone seen the show and what did you think?

I liked the show but then I've been a Twyla Tharp and Billy Joel fan for a long time.  If you like watching the Dance in America specials they occaisionally show on Great Performances, you should like Movin' Out.

BTW (internet lingo!), Tavern On Jane is named that because it's located on Jane Street in the West Village.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #55 on: September 20, 2004, 01:24:52 PM »

I have never seen  the Dance in America specials they occaisionally show on Great Performances.

;D It sounds much better know Jane is the name of the street.

Echo needs her walk.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2004, 01:31:22 PM »

...<knock wood>...
...<knock wood>...
CUT THAT OUT!

;)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2004, 01:42:23 PM »

Great photos of the new home, BK.  I just hope she of the Evil Eye knows how to prune roses!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #58 on: September 20, 2004, 01:43:24 PM »

Whenever I have computer problems, I let der Brucer fix them.  He's handy that way.

8)

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #59 on: September 20, 2004, 02:42:06 PM »

Welcome to your new home, BK.

Some favorite home-songs to celebrate the occasion:

"Welcome Home" (from Fanny)
and
"Home" (70 Girls 70)

Others?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2004, 02:42:50 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up