Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: LIKE A FAERIE PRINCESS ON SPEEDBALLS  (Read 10964 times)

MBarnum

Re:LIKE A FAERIE PRINCESS ON SPEEDBALLS
« Reply #90 on: September 21, 2004, 03:12:15 PM »

BK, Mrs. Tollefson's first name was Dorothy.

Did you know a Mrs. Tollefson?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #91 on: September 21, 2004, 03:13:57 PM »

PREEEEEE-SENTING!!!

PAGE THREE FOUR!!!
[/size][/color]

-Today's topic was teachers? ;)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 03:14:56 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #92 on: September 21, 2004, 03:28:15 PM »

Today I went for a walk and this is what I saw.....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DR LAURA!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: September 21, 2004, 03:57:43 PM »

Yes, a teacher named Donna Tollefson - a great, great lady.

Panni

« Reply #94 on: September 21, 2004, 04:48:56 PM »

No posts in an hour? Skammen!
I just came in from walking the hound. It's HOT out. This morning it was COLD. Very CONFUSING.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #95 on: September 21, 2004, 04:54:42 PM »

No posts in an hour? Skammen!
I just came in from walking the hound. It's HOT out. This morning it was COLD. Very CONFUSING.

I noticed the same thing when I was out walking earlier too.  Kind of surprised me.  I mean, I had heard on the news that the temp was around 90, but...  And after the very cool evening we had last night...  Sheesh, it's like we're in Los Angeles or somewhere like that?!?!?  -Oh... nevermind...
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #96 on: September 21, 2004, 05:35:41 PM »

To quote DR Jose - Sheesh! Where in Tarnation is everyone?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #97 on: September 21, 2004, 05:41:18 PM »

I'm here, I'm here!

Topic of the Day:  My two favorite teachers in school (before college) were Donna Baker and Teri Poff.  Donna was my middle school (7th & 8th grades) choir teacher and Teri was my high school choir teacher.  I got into choir because at my school, if we took an arts class, we could get out of a half a year of P.E.  Sounded good to me!  Anyway, I was pretty good at music.  Although I never really had a "great" voice, I could blend well and hold my own part.  When I was a senior, I went to All-State Choir and I won a High School Choral Award (for my high school), which was voted by the other students.

When it was time to think about college, I had no idea "what I wanted to be when I grew up" so I decided to go to college to become a choir teacher, because of Donna and Teri.  I loved the way they taught and felt that they really cared about music and the students that they taught.  That really made me enjoy the classes that I had with them.

To be continued...
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 05:59:47 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2004, 06:06:06 PM »

"But wait," you think.  "George works in a library."  Well, I do.  Let me continue:  I went to Centralia College, got my AA degree, then transferred to Western Washington University.  I got into the music department easily and the education department a quarter late.  I don't exactly remember what happened, but it turned out not to be a problem.  I went to Western for two years and at the beginning of my fifth year, all I had to do was take one education class in the fall, a "reading in the content field" (whatever the hell that means) class in the month of January, then do my student teaching in the second semester of the public schools.  However, I never really wanted to be a teacher.  I just had no idea what it was that I could study in college.

On to Part 3!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2004, 06:07:19 PM »

At the beginning of my fifth year, two events happened that really made me want to get out of teaching.  That fall, Western had just approved a new Bachelor of Arts degree with a music major, which was less intensive than what I was going for, a Bachelor of Music with Ed. certification.  The second event was that Dr. Robert Scandrett (the choir department head and conductor of the Concert Choir) announced that in the spring (when I would supposedly be doing my student teaching), the Concert Choir was going to make a CD of choral works of Domenico Scarlatti.  Dr. Scandrett had a contract with a music publishing company in Germany to actually find and edit for publication the choral music of Domenico Scarlatti.  They were going to record some of this music, and much of it had never been heard since it was written almost three hundred years ago!  I wanted to be on that CD.  I decided to drop education and I changed my major to the new BA-Music Major.  Most of the classes that I’d already taken fulfilled the requirements of the new degree, but even though the degree was approved, no one could actually graduate with it until the spring.  I just had to take one required class in the fall quarter and one more in the winter quarter (they were only offered in those quarters), then I would be finished.  In the spring quarter, I was in five choirs!  That’s all I did that last quarter.  Anyway, I was able to graduate AND be on the CD.  When I moved home, I eventually got a job at the Timberland Regional Library Service Center, where I had worked when going to Centralia College.  And I’ve been working here ever since!

George

« Reply #100 on: September 21, 2004, 06:09:40 PM »

And finally:[/i]

Now, parts two and three of the story really have nothing to do with favorite teachers, except that I didn't become what they sort of inspired me to try to become.  And if anyone is interested, both amazon.com and Barnes & Noble have the CD listed (but B&N has clips)!  Click HERE for the B&N listing with one minute clips.  If you like that kind of music, it's actually quite wonderful...if I do say so myself. :)

End of Saga.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 06:10:04 PM by George »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #101 on: September 21, 2004, 06:18:26 PM »

I’m finally here, what a day.  More on that later.  First let me respond to last nights posts.

MBarnum, thanks and he doesn’t photograph all that well.

Sandra did you ever find the 5th floor-LOL.  Not only did Echo eat homework but so did one of our cats.

SWW & DerBrucer, I have been thinking about the fact you are both crazy to want another dog, even if your reasoning makes sense to me.  However, there could be a flaw in it, aside from the fact you will need a dog large enough to be gentle with the other dogs and active enough for Fletcher.  The main problem is Fletcher can’t hear when the dogs tell him to stop being so rough.  A big dog might flatten Fletcher when he ignores the big dog.

Now to read today’s posts.

Jane

« Reply #102 on: September 21, 2004, 06:22:37 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DRLAURA!  I HOPE YOU ARE HAVING A TERRIFIC DAY.  

Jane

« Reply #103 on: September 21, 2004, 06:29:47 PM »

Jose I hope you are feeling better by now.

I had to take Bogie to the doctor this afternoon.  Poor boy is extremely constipated.  He was given medicine and fluids.  He is scheduled for an enema in the morning.  Chances are it won’t happen, but with some luck by tomorrow the treatment won’t be necessary. Oh, she said it is so bad we might need to take him three days in a row. :P

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #104 on: September 21, 2004, 06:39:53 PM »

Sister Desideratta (I think that's how her name was spelled) in third grade taught us that if you name off the months of the year on your knuckles and the little valleys between them, on your left hand and then to your right, you can tell which months have 31 days (they are the months that land on the knuckles.)

I learned that in Senora Ginsberg's Spanish class.

One of my most *interesting* teachers was the 349-pound psycho-therapist. I find myself missing that class sometimes while sitting through my boring classes.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2004, 06:47:59 PM »

DR Panni:  here is a post from the usenet group Rec.Arts.Past-Films obviously specially designed for your particular expertise:

Years ago -- maybe forty or fifty years ago -- I saw a movie
in which the female star and her husband were entertaining
some Hungarians.  The wife tried to do something that would
really make a hit with the guests, so she somehow learned a
Hungarian toast.  When she said it during dinner, the guests
were at first shocked and resentful, but then after they
thought about it a little bit they realized what she had
meant to say, so they laughed and returned the proper
greeting, and everything went okay after that.

The phrase as she learned it, to the best of my memory, was
"Eggashegera".  I told this long ago to an acquaintance who
was a fluent Hungarian speaker, and he recognized the
problem immediately.  He told me what the lady must have
said, how it translated into something insulting in English,
and he told me what she probably should have said, which
translated to something like "To your health".

If anyone recognizes the incident, I would like to know the
name of the file, the name of the movie, the actress, what
the phrase meant as she said it, what she should have said,
and what it means.  Or any one or more of those.

Any help anyone cares to give me will be greatly
appreciated.

I for one am curious as to what the various mistranslations and actual intended meanings might have been.  Do you know what film it was?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2004, 06:48:31 PM by JMK »
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2004, 06:48:40 PM »

Yes, I eventually did make it to the fifth floor. I'm not quite sure how I got there because the stairs end as soon as you get to the fourth floor. It was like the Twilight Zone or something.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Panni

« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2004, 06:54:34 PM »

They're saying on the news that's on in the bg that many schools are cutting out recess so that kids have more time to study for standardized tests. Aaaarghhhh!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2004, 07:03:10 PM »

Anyone here have an LCD tv?

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2004, 07:07:02 PM »

They're saying on the news that's on in the bg that many schools are cutting out recess so that kids have more time to study for standardized tests. Aaaarghhhh!

One can only assume that that's better than saying "Eggashegera".  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Panni

« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2004, 07:07:24 PM »

JMK - I don't know the movie, but I've heard the mistake made many times. It's all in the accents. "To your health" is pronounced "EH-GAY-SHAY-GED-REH"...
On the other hand, if you say "EH-GAY-SHEH-GED-REH" - the meaning with the simple change from "AY" to "EH" - becomes "to to your entire ass!"

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2004, 07:21:31 PM »

I'll stick with "L'Chayim."  Clearly, it's safer.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Panni

« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2004, 07:37:31 PM »

I'll stick with "L'Chayim."  Clearly, it's safer.

You bet your sweet...ah...health!

Panni

« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2004, 07:45:52 PM »

I've been having trouble reading lately - having to strain - and not always seeing properly even with my reading glasses on. Not a good situation for a writer. Today I had my eyes checked and it turns out I need a 30% change in my prescription. That's a lot, folks!
It also turns out that I've got some major scar tissue on my right cornea. The doctor asked if I'd been hit in the eye. Ah... no. The only injury I recall is when I was still acting, having an accident right before the performance at the Shaw Festival... I bent down to pick up something from under a rack of costumes. As I lifted my head, the corner of one of the costumes struck me in the eye. My eyes were watering and I was in incredible pain, but I had to go on and do the show. By the end of the performance I could barely see. The doctor told me to lie in a dark room for at least 24 hours - which I did. The eye got better - but perhaps that's where the scar comes from. Or perhaps my ex-husband decked me and I plum forgot.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2004, 07:59:30 PM »

Thank you all for the birthday wishes. Tomorrow I'll go play with my new binoculars.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2004, 08:04:02 PM »

After a few lovely fall days, we're getting back to typical Indian summer temperatures the rest of this week. The nights will remain relatively cool (low 60s), but the days go back into the 80s with uncomfortable humidity.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2004, 08:07:06 PM »

BK, I had an LCD Samsung (40" widescreen) before I bought my current Toshiba. My LCD was only enhanced definition quality, however. High definition back then was way off the charts expensive.

If there's something you'd like to know, just ask.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2004, 08:39:52 PM »

I always feel so guilty when I come across the site this time at night and the post count is low and I can't come up with anything interesting to say.

Like now.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2004, 08:45:16 PM »

I'm looking at my evening schedule tomorrow, and I think I might just have time to watch a DVD before the premiere of LOST on ABC. Now, what to choose . . . . . what to choose . . . .

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2004, 08:49:15 PM »

DR Matt, have you gotten the Star Wars set yet?  I'm still up in the air about it.  I'm disappointed that Lucas decided not to release the films as they were originally released.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up