Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: GETTING SERVICED  (Read 15528 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:GETTING SERVICED
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2004, 11:30:39 AM »

ALAS, PAGE THREE!!!

-Could I have this dance?
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2004, 11:31:27 AM »

I think there is a Toyota theme here.  We are very fond of their cars.

I have never been a fan of cars and normally can’t tell the difference from one to the other.  I know when I rent a car in LA I will no longer get a Kia.  I do enjoy driving Camry’s but rarely get to rent one.  The only car I have ever really enjoyed is my current car, a 92 Lexus Coupe.  It is just my size and is very comfortable to drive.  It has just over 70 thousand miles on it.  Most of those are from taking Echo up the mountains to hike.  It has lost its great pick up, the sound system is shot and I only get a few FM channels to listen to since it needs a new antenna, but I love it.  I stopped trying to drive it up our road when it snows.  For that we have Keith’s Toyota 4Runner.  The day Craig left for the Peace Corps we stopped at the dealership on the way home from the airport and consoled ourselves with a new car.  It is comfortable and has a smooth drive.  I like being up high for the views.  I don’t particularly enjoy driving it, but I do enjoy being a passenger in his car.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2004, 11:31:35 AM »

ALAS, PAGE THREE!

-Could I have this dance?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2004, 11:32:27 AM »

Hmmmm.. How did that happen?!!?  Very strange... Maybe it has something to do with the "Too Many User" error I got a few minutes ago... Hmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2004, 11:34:51 AM »

Not yet. However, I haven't really been looking for it.  Yet.  I'm also suspecting that I might have thrown it away accidentally with all the junk mail I was sorting through.  *I also have an unfortunate track record of throwing checks away.  It's kind of weird.  I've had to dig through the trash more than once for a paycheck that I somehow threw out - and even ripped up!  Don't ask me how?!?!?  It just happens sometimes.

You should check your state's unclaimed property department to see if there's money out there waiting for you.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2004, 11:40:29 AM »

Speaking of Craig, today is his 25th birthday so we began our morning with a call to Romania. Since it is his birthday he was boiling water to treat himself to a bath.  He has given up on the school he works for to do something about his housing situation.  Now he will apply to the Peace Corps for assistance.  It would be nice if he could have hot water and heat this winter.  If not he will tough it out again.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2004, 11:44:27 AM »

I don't feel good.

But it will be better.

Don't worry DRJOSE.  Yes, DRJAY has taken on the assignment, at his leisure.  Hmmmmmmm....private road...it is 4 rooms and bath on a 57x67 lot, so it is very small 745 sq ft.....hmmmmmm.....mysterious.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

« Reply #67 on: September 27, 2004, 11:48:12 AM »

Jay I didn’t know what bg was either.  I’m glad you asked.

JRand feel better.

I have lots of work to do today before I get a massage.  Believe it or not, I still don’t have hotel reservations for my trip.  I didn’t do much while my back was bad.  It is improving enough for me to get things done now.

Jose where will you be on the 4th?  Anywhere near Bethesda?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #68 on: September 27, 2004, 11:55:42 AM »

Years ago I visited my friend Patty in NYC. She lived (still lives) on West 106th St. I told her I was going to visit my aunt in Riverdale - about 40 minutes by subway plus bus. Patty said she'd drive me. So we took the bus up Broadway to 125th Street. Then we took the crosstown bus to East 125th. Then we hopped on the Lexington subway, changing at 149th Street in the Bronx, and then on to Parkchester, where she kept her car in an old garage. From there we drove to my aunt's - about half an hour.

But we had a great time.

Jane

« Reply #69 on: September 27, 2004, 12:02:02 PM »

LOL-all that just to get a car from a garage.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2004, 12:04:56 PM »

I don't feel good.

But it will be better.

Don't worry DRJOSE.  Yes, DRJAY has taken on the assignment, at his leisure.  Hmmmmmmm....private road...it is 4 rooms and bath on a 57x67 lot, so it is very small 745 sq ft.....hmmmmmm.....mysterious.

FEEL BETTER VIBES, DR JRAND54

I'm not sure private road is the correct term... It looked like a really long driveway with more houses on either side of it.  In any case, I had the feeling that if I did venture up the hill, someone was bound to come out and stop me and/or call the police.  It just really seemed private.

Now, there were some rather large trees on both sides of the road, so maybe it was hiding.  ???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2004, 12:27:03 PM »

Jay I didn’t know what bg was either.  I’m glad you asked.

JRand feel better.

I have lots of work to do today before I get a massage.  Believe it or not, I still don’t have hotel reservations for my trip.  I didn’t do much while my back was bad.  It is improving enough for me to get things done now.

Jose where will you be on the 4th?  Anywhere near Bethesda?

I'll be in Richmond on the 4th going over the keyboard book with the assistant conductor for The Producers.  I'm only playing the weekend shows, but that's the time slot alloted for the "teaching session".  I was hoping to make it up to NYC during those interim days since I head to Houston the following Monday, but it looks like I'll be heading back up to Fairfax to spend some time with my folks...

-Potential Downer Warning Ahead...  But, there's good news too!

My father was diagnosed with prostate cancer a few weeks ago.  I did not find out until last week, and I only found out from my brother, Jay.  Even he was not directly told from my father or mother - and he's the "good son" who calls home regularly - he found out from my sister-in-law (who at the time was still living with my parents (with my brother (her husband), so...).

I still have yet to get all the details, but the bone scan tests have come back, and they came back negative.  So he's not at Stage 4, the cancer has not gone into his bones.  Thankfully, prostate cancer is one of the most curable cancers, and when I saw my father yesterday at the party, he looked to be hisself.  He still loves being a grandfather!  I'm hoping to talk to him when he gets home from work later.  However, my brother has said that my Mom prefer that we not about "it" with my father, so... We'll see.  In any case, it will be nice to spend some time with them tonight when I'm not so zonked out from lack of sleep.

On the "bright" side of things, things can't be that bad.  My mother has a habit of hiding things from us (the four boys) from time to time.  There were a few times when she had gone into the hospital for some routine stuff, but none of us had found out until after the fact.  Only if "it" is really bad, and a true cause for worry and concern will she share any real bad news us about her or about my father.  So...  (*Of course, she wonders why her boys tend to be on the "private" side when it comes to personal matters.  :-X ;))

I'm just trying to stay close to home while I can.  I will be heading to Houston to do A Chorus Line at Theatre Under the Stars, but that's only for the last three weeks in October.  And I've already lined up Hallelujah, Baby at Arena Stage for December-February.  I can live at home while I'm working on the show.  *And since my brother Mike and his family moved out a month ago, I now have "my room" back.  ;)

So, that's that.  Any Good Vibes will, of course, be appreciated.  But from what I saw and "felt" yesterday, everyone seems to be doing well - especially my father.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: September 27, 2004, 12:29:23 PM »

DR Jane - However, if I am up in Fairfax on the 6th, would you like a ride to Union Station? ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2004, 12:32:41 PM »

Jose,

My best good-health vibes to your dad, you, your entire family.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2004, 01:07:48 PM »

Good health vibes to DR Jose's father.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2004, 01:09:06 PM »

Some great jobs lined up there, DRJOSE.

LOL...perhaps Allison's house is "in hiding"....LOL.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2004, 01:12:25 PM »

Okay - maybe I was rash saying CA is the only place where a car is vital, but almost every major city has good public transportation (some better than others) and a car is only needed if you live on the outskirts of town and in some suburbs.  I guess in rural areas, though, a car would be needed.

That's provided you live, work, and do business only on main commuter lines. But what if, like me, you're doing a show in a theater 20 miles from your home? What if you commute into another county for work? What if you want to go shopping in a mall 10 miles from you that has the only store you're interested in shopping in? There are a thousand different scenarios of what people must do to be employed and/or pursue daily activities where cars are needed to get you where you need to go. Unlike New York, places you need or want to go are not located within walking distance or subway/bus lines.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Emily

« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2004, 01:14:12 PM »

Vibes to DR Jose's Father: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't drive and I don't think I'm ever going to learn.  Like I think I mentioned in chat a few weeks ago, I plan on dying either on public transportation of some kind or (more likely) waiting for public transportation to pick me up.

Last night I didn't sleep at all.  I went to bed at midnight and stared at the ceiling for two hours.  Then I read for a bit, worked on some research for upcoming papers and listened to the news for a while before I finally got sleepy.  Unfortunately, by the time I was getting tired my alarm clock that I had set the evening before was going off telling me to "wake up".  So now after work and a class and looking forward to another class at 4:30, I am very very VERY tired.  I'm also very caffeinated :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2004, 01:15:48 PM »

BK, if you think the first six episodes of ALIAS are all over the map, you've only scratched the surface of the wild (sometimes absurd) plot development to come. Thankfully, Producer/Creator J.J. Abrams promises a more grounded season for us starting in January. I love the show, but even I was rolling my eyes BIG TIME as the season trudged along to its conclusion.

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2004, 01:18:35 PM »

DR Jose, so sorry to read about your dad's diagnosis. I will be thinking of him and you in the weeks ahead.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2004, 01:23:04 PM »

Mr BK....Jacqueline Susann's Valley of the Dolls is NOT scheduled in the next couple of months on the WE (Women's Entertainment) but they emailed me that I should just watch the schedule because it may be on soon.  SO.....see if you have WE and set your Tivo....Catherine Hicks, Lisa Hartman, Bert Convy, Jean Simmons, James Coburn.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2004, 01:23:43 PM »

GOOD VIBES to Padre Simbulan.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2004, 01:40:29 PM »

Thanks for all the Good Vibes for my father.

As I mentioned, everything and everyone seems to be doing well.  My family has never really been good at "putting on a happy face", so... And talking with my brothers has also helped.  The biggest thing I've had to deal with in the past few days was just the shock of hearing about it.  It was one of those classic "uh-oh" moments.  I was just talking with my brother, Jay, on the phone on Thursday afternoon about his visit up to LA on Friday.  I told him that I had called home the other night just to check in and say HI.  "Oh, so you know about Dad then?".. Umm... No.  So...

But it has been caught early, and that's the best news with any diagnosis of cancer.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2004, 01:43:12 PM »

I've just never bought into the Hollywood philosophy of a car being an extension of one's personality or penis.  Therefore, I've never gone for a status car of any kind.  I'd rather spend the money on books or trips to England.  A car is just a means of  convenient transportation to me.  As long as it gets me there and has good music-producing apparati, I'm cool.  

I have had mostly Buicks.  A taste probably inherited from my father. I like leg room, front and back.  Probably my favourite car for sentimental reasons would be a used Buick Skylark I had in the early seventies to early eighties.  It was a car I used when I was actng in dinner theatre and I always drove to the gigs so I would have a car while I was there.

Accompanying me on these cross-country drives was the faithful and loyal Hotspur, my Yorkie, who was a great traveller and usually just curled up beside me on the seat.  Larry Drake and I (along with Hotspur) also did some long hauls in it when we were in shows together, usually where we would close a show in Dallas on a Sunday night at eleven o' clock and  have to be in Columbus or North Carolina for a rehearsal at ten on Tuesday morning.  These became racuous all-nighters where by three o'clock the next afternoon we were giddy, rude, and very funny.  We had to drive it through an hellacious blizzard one time, but got through to our next gig just fine.  I think I must have put 200,000 miles on that car before it died.

The current Buick Regal I have, an '89, has a crumpled trunk, a short in the my speakers, and it's probably time to consider getting a new car.  I think I might like one of those hybrids...The lovely wife would also like to get rid of the big Dodge Caravan we have...which seemed like a good idea at the time.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2004, 01:43:45 PM »

And in "happier" news... ;)

Unless my eyes are deceiving me, it appears that I lost 12 pounds while I was in L.A.!  I just stepped on the scale after I got out of the shower... And...  I guess all that walking in and around L.A. really paid off!  *I was actually thinking I might have gained a few pounds especially after all those tamales and pupusas I had "discovered" and eaten my last two weeks in town.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2004, 01:46:07 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2004, 01:54:07 PM »

Good thoughts and vibes to your father, Dear Reader Jose.

It's fascinating to me that members of your family have a tendency to "hide" their maladies and even trips into the hospital.

My people have made public kvetching about the most minor of aches and pains into an art form.  When serious illness or injury occurs, the drama steps up accordingly.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2004, 01:54:07 PM »

And in "happier" news... ;)

Unless my eyes are deceiving me, it appears that I lost 12 pounds while I was in L.A.!  I just stepped on the scale after I got out of the shower... And...  I guess all that walking in and around L.A. really paid off!  *I was actually thinking I might have gained a few pounds especially after all those tamales and pupusas I had "discovered" and eaten my last two weeks in town.

Jose, you should always weigh yourself BEFORE you get into the shower!  Your body absorbs the water and increases your weight.  I tested this out on myself several years ago and there were times when I could gain almost two pounds just by taking a shower!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2004, 01:56:01 PM »

Mr BK....Jacqueline Susann's Valley of the Dolls is NOT scheduled in the next couple of months on the WE (Women's Entertainment) but they emailed me that I should just watch the schedule because it may be on soon.  SO.....see if you have WE and set your Tivo....Catherine Hicks, Lisa Hartman, Bert Convy, Jean Simmons, James Coburn.  

Can you give me a good reason to bother with that version??

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2004, 01:56:14 PM »

Jose, you should always weigh yourself BEFORE you get into the shower!  Your body absorbs the water and increases your weight.  I tested this out on myself several years ago and there were times when I could gain almost two pounds just by taking a shower!

Well, it's a shower... not a water fountain. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2004, 01:56:36 PM »

To paraphrase the late and beloved Miss Totie Fields, I always go to the bathroom, trim my nails and exhale before I get on my bathroom scale.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up