Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: TRY TO REMEMBER  (Read 15520 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:TRY TO REMEMBER
« Reply #150 on: September 30, 2004, 09:10:00 PM »

I think Kerry won too, but like BK said, it's because I'm a Kerry-ite.  I really don't think what happened tonight is going to flip any votes.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: September 30, 2004, 09:15:31 PM »

For those late-night denizens who roam the halls of haineshisway.com, here is the cover for the new book.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #152 on: September 30, 2004, 09:23:48 PM »

Nice lid, man.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #153 on: September 30, 2004, 09:33:42 PM »

If anyone needs me I shall be in the spa relaxing.

Jenny, let us know if you've heard anything further.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #154 on: September 30, 2004, 09:34:10 PM »

For the past hour, I've been getting calls and IMs from my classmates saying that there was a shooting either in or around the school tonight, and at least one student is dead.

I have just found out a little more information, and it sounds like the shooting occured directly outside the school (while I was steps away inside) over a bad drug deal.  I hear that three were shot and one is dead.  All are students at my school, though I don't think I've met any of them.

I go to two schools: one in Queens and one on Long Island.  The shooting occured at the Long Island school.  Go figure.
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

MBarnum

« Reply #155 on: September 30, 2004, 09:39:48 PM »

Looking at next weeks TCM listings I see that 3 versions of SHOW BOAT will air. Having seen none of them I will try to catch at least one...likely the 1929 version.

Lots of other good 1930s musicals are playing as well!

MBarnum

« Reply #156 on: September 30, 2004, 09:40:25 PM »

I could use a little more Paul Haber here, by the way!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #157 on: September 30, 2004, 09:46:32 PM »

Looking at next weeks TCM listings I see that 3 versions of SHOW BOAT will air. Having seen none of them I will try to catch at least one...likely the 1929 version.

DR MBarnum, don't miss the 1930s one; Helen Morgan is irreplaceable, and the rest of the cast is excellent.

Dear Friend BK, great cover!  I know I said good night an hour and a half ago, but I can't sleep!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #158 on: September 30, 2004, 09:58:59 PM »

Yes, DR Elmore3003, what in the Sam Hill are you doing up still!

I have my VCR set to record six (6) 1930s Dick Foran B-westerns...that is right...I will be having a regular hootenanny all weekend long!

Panni

« Reply #159 on: September 30, 2004, 09:59:02 PM »

That is because you are a Kerry-ite.  I'm sure Bush-ites (whomever they may be) thought he won the debate.  I'm quite certain that the real fact of the matter is that the "debate" was peurile and pointless and that no one won the debate.   Everyone lost - the candidates and the people who watched them.

That's not exactly so. Last time around, although I was a Gore-ite, I thought Gore did horribly in the debates. I agree that Bushites will not suddenly turn and embrace Kerry. But Kerry could have done himself a great deal of harm tonight - and he didn't. He handled himself "presidentially" and Bush did not. For one thing, cut-aways showed Bush looking petulant and angry. Not a good thing for the leader of the free world.
The debate was not pointless and puerile. If nothing else, Kerry made a very important point about the dangers of "certainty." We are living under a president who is certain that God is on his side and what he does is right come hell or high water (a Minnie Kritzer reference). It was vital that this be pointed out. Kerry also spoke forcefully about this pointless war in which thousands of young men and women are being killed and billions of dollars that could be used for health care and other life and death matters in this country are being squandered. So no - I don't think that "everyone lost." I do think that anyone who CAN vote in this election and does not, will be the real loser.
End of rant.

MBarnum

« Reply #160 on: September 30, 2004, 10:07:41 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Ladies and gentlemen...Dick Foran, the singing cowboy![/move]

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: September 30, 2004, 10:13:10 PM »

I personally found your rant predictable and I find most political debate predictable, and I really don't care for either gentleman.  Bush is a dangerous buffoon, and Kerry is, well, I don't know WHAT Kerry is.  

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #162 on: September 30, 2004, 10:13:37 PM »

DRJenny I will keep everyone around your school in my thoughts and prayers. Keep us informed. I'm sure it must be kind of scary to think you were so close to it. I hope you are doing ok.
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #163 on: September 30, 2004, 10:25:44 PM »

You may be Kerry-ites, but it seems to be the consensus of all the pundits that Kerry won.  An unscientific poll on MSNBC has Kerry the victor by 70%.

It's my assessment too.  Bush sounded like a broken record.  "We're making progress"; "We're doing the job"; "It's hard work"; "A free Iraq is good for democracy."   He kept repeating his spin points and delivered very little substance.  He also flustered, flubbed, hesitated, stuttered, sighed, and took abnormally long, uncomfortable pauses.  He also seemed to get testy and petulant a couple of times.  And in the cutaways, he had an expression on his face that made him look like a befuddled chimp.  Kerry was composed, collected, and stay on point.  And, I thought, answered the accusations quite well.  He helped himself tonight.

Does everybody think the real issue of this election is going to be The War on Terror (although one could say that Iraq had nothing to do with the War on Terror until Bush invaded it)?

MSNBC had an undecided focus group watching the debate.  They all thought Kerry won the debate, they all were leaning toward Kerry afterward...their main concerns were jobs and health care.  Could be "It's the economy, stupid!" once again.

I don't know why the Democrats haven't invoke the "Are you better off now than you were four years ago" line?  I think most people would answer "No. Our personal and national security aren't better.  Our personal and national finances aren't better.  Our Health Care is not better.  The cost of our perscription medicines aren't better.  Our job situation isn't better.  Our civil liberties and personal freedoms in our own country aren't better."

By the by, now that the Log Cabin Republicans aren't endorsing Bush, where do our gay Republicans stand these days?

François de Paris

« Reply #164 on: September 30, 2004, 10:30:29 PM »

That's not exactly so. Last time around, although I was a Gore-ite, I thought Gore did horribly in the debates. I agree that Bushites will not suddenly turn and embrace Kerry. But Kerry could have done himself a great deal of harm tonight - and he didn't. He handled himself "presidentially" and Bush did not. For one thing, cut-aways showed Bush looking petulant and angry. Not a good thing for the leader of the free world.
The debate was not pointless and puerile. If nothing else, Kerry made a very important point about the dangers of "certainty." We are living under a president who is certain that God is on his side and what he does is right come hell or high water (a Minnie Kritzer reference). It was vital that this be pointed out. Kerry also spoke forcefully about this pointless war in which thousands of young men and women are being killed and billions of dollars that could be used for health care and other life and death matters in this country are being squandered. So no - I don't think that "everyone lost." I do think that anyone who CAN vote in this election and does not, will be the real loser.
End of rant.

Well said, Panni, well said!

... and ONLY our pet Petula (Clark) should be petulant! ;)

François de Paris

« Reply #165 on: September 30, 2004, 10:31:58 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Ladies and gentlemen...Dick Foran, the singing cowboy![/move]

Hummmm.... who's the girl?? :D

Panni

« Reply #166 on: September 30, 2004, 10:48:48 PM »

Does everybody think the real issue of this election is going to be The War on Terror (although one could say that Iraq had nothing to do with the War on Terror until Bush invaded it)?
I don't know why the Democrats haven't invoke the "Are you better off now than you were four years ago" line?  

I think the Republicans would like that to be the "real" issue... "If you don't elect us, the boogie man's gonna get you!"

I heard Clinton - pre heart problems -  invoke the "Are you better off" line, And very effectively, too.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #167 on: September 30, 2004, 10:58:55 PM »

My point wasn't really about who "won" or didn't win in the eyes of fans or pundits or focus groups.  My point is I don't think either gentleman is such great Presidential material, which always seems to be the case in these recent races - the lesser of two evils.  There's nothing really wrong with Kerry - as I said, I don't really know WHAT he's about.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #168 on: September 30, 2004, 11:02:07 PM »

Lots of other good 1930s musicals are playing as well!

Three?  I know of the earlier one with Irene Dunn, Paul Robeson and Helen Morgan, and a later one with Kathryn Grayson, Howard Keel and Ava Gardner in the role that should have been played by Lena Horne.  What's the third one?
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #169 on: September 30, 2004, 11:04:06 PM »

Ok......I found an old digital pic, which I think is too pixilated to last long.  But as someone said either earlier today or yesterday, this is a very personal site, and having pics of everyone seems to make us all a bit closer.  So there you go.

Such a punim!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #170 on: September 30, 2004, 11:04:08 PM »

I’ve only read page one, but I thought that I should post at least one post today.  I’ve been busy at work ordering books, I had lunch with a retired co-worker and I never had a moment to read any of today’s posts at work.  Right now, I’m at the house where I’m house-sitting and it took me 20 minutes just to read page one!  Not because I’m a slow reader, but this is one freakin’ slow computer!  It literally takes 10 seconds to page down one screen!  It took more than five minutes just to load.  Now, I’m going to watch “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.”  He’s talking about tonight’s Presidential debate, which I watched.  So, I’m (finally) logged in, but not here…until 11:30!

As for the Topic of the Day:  specifically “nightclub” or “cabaret” performers:  Judy Holliday performing anything, Judy Garland performing anything, Bette Midler in any of her Bath House performances with Barry Manilow as her accompanist.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jay

« Reply #171 on: September 30, 2004, 11:06:32 PM »

I personally found your rant predictable and I find most political debate predictable, and I really don't care for either gentleman.  Bush is a dangerous buffoon, and Kerry is, well, I don't know WHAT Kerry is.  

Are you suggesting, then, that there be no political debate?  If so, I must respectfully, but vehemently, disagree.

Jay

« Reply #172 on: September 30, 2004, 11:14:48 PM »

I really wanted to watch the debate tonight, but I did not see it, as I was at the Walt Disney Concert Hall to witness the debut of its spectacular concert organ.  

Mr. Frederick Swann (organist emeritus of the Riverside Church in New York, the Crystal Cathedral in Garden Grove and the First Congregational Church of Los Angeles) played a wide-ranging program that showed off the new instrument's capabilities.  In addition to pieces by Bach, Mendelssohn and Franck, there were five pieces by composers I had never heard of before tonight.

Here's a picture of the facade of the organ.  Some have likened it to a box of french fries or a set of pick-up sticks.  As pretty as they are to look at, those angled pipes are working elements of the instrument.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2004, 11:15:53 PM by Jay »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #173 on: September 30, 2004, 11:15:24 PM »

For those late-night denizens who roam the halls of haineshisway.com, here is the cover for the new book.
I like the cover, BK.  Very simple, to the point, effective.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #174 on: September 30, 2004, 11:28:18 PM »

By the by, now that the Log Cabin Republicans aren't endorsing Bush, where do our gay Republicans stand these days?
I believe Guerrero, the head of LCR, used the phrase "withholding our endorsement."  This is due to Bush's support of the anti-marriage amendment, and shouldn't be confused with any other part of his administration.

Personally, I still haven't been given any reason to endorse Kerry.  Let's not forget, he also is against gay marriage, and I don't find his "civil unions" arguement strong enough for my support.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #175 on: September 30, 2004, 11:34:52 PM »

Are you suggesting, then, that there be no political debate?  If so, I must respectfully, but vehemently, disagree.

I'm not suggesting anything - I'm suggesting that these "debates" bore me to tears.  If there were no rules and the gloves could come off, then maybe it would be interesting.  If people want to get all het up about these things, fine.  I was merely stating my opinion.

Panni

« Reply #176 on: September 30, 2004, 11:44:03 PM »

My October movie poster calendar page is for CAT PEOPLE...
"She was marked with the curse of those who slink and court and kill by night!"

Panni

« Reply #177 on: September 30, 2004, 11:50:50 PM »

Here it is....

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #178 on: September 30, 2004, 11:55:34 PM »

I loved the tight, controlled structure of the debate and McLehrer moderated well.  A gloves- off debate would just degenerate into spin and mindless accusations.  

The problem with political debate, thanks to partisan pundits like Rush Limbaugh, it's become like the Jerry Springer Show.  No intellect. No logic. No facts.  Just lots of voluble emotionalism and  simplistic one-liners.  We need rules and structure and these people have to be held accountable and be forced to stay on point.  

One of the things that I really hate anymore is that newscasters just let the partisan pundits ramble their spin, instead of calling them on their shit and make them answer the the tough questions.  

It was interesting to watch Bush tonight just ignore questions and accusations and stick to his dogmatic mantra of the same tiresome, desperate expressions over and over again.   You could see in the cutaways how rattled and befuddled he was.  And howcum no news person has picked up on remark about the woman who had lost her husband and he didn't know how "to love" her.  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up