Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: COUGH COUGH  (Read 14374 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
COUGH COUGH
« on: October 02, 2004, 11:58:39 PM »

Well, you've read the notes whilst I have been having coughing fits, and now it is time for you to post until the coughing cows come home.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 12:00:59 AM by bk »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:COUGH COUGH
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 12:45:04 AM »

First post - huzzah!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 12:45:23 AM »

Writing a song about an Undescended Testicle certainly represents a new low.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 12:46:14 AM »

Apple Brown Betty?  Wasn't she in the Playmate room yesterday?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 12:51:01 AM »

OMG - Miss June Wilkinson & Mr William Wellman Jr & a Macumba Love shrine.....I am speechless....

DRCP - did you mention that you recently observed her poster from The Playgirl & the Bellboy?  Was she impressed.

I simply MUST send some $$ next time to get an autographed photo.  I recently watched TWIST ALL NIGHT again....just to see June - who in violation of the law of gravity...does the twist almost entirely from the WAIST up!

The bulbs were out?  Whew!  Who knew?

I am very grateful and excited that DRJAY located the Allison Hayes House and photographed it....and certainly mindful of the effort it took.....of course the pictures that DRJOSE sent me were lovely as well....as a house that Allison drove by everyday to get home!  

Congratulations to DRJENNY on getting the lead in THE DOLL WHO CAME TO DINNER!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2004, 12:52:06 AM by JRand54 »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 12:51:26 AM »

DRCP did you see Laurie Mitchell?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2004, 12:51:53 AM »

Hi Maya!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2004, 12:55:19 AM »

You want to hear about coughing fits??  (And two spaces after two question marks!)  When I was in college (Western Washington University, class of 1989), one of the music professors wrote an a cappella piece of choral music in four short movements.  The text was in Latin, but it was not gramatically correct.  What the conceit of the piece was that when you slurred the pronunciations of the Latin a bit, it sounded like English.  I wish I could give an example, but I can't remember any of it.  It was pretty cool...on an intellectual level (the music never really grabbed me).  Anyway, we had the "world premiere" at Western and did the piece.  In the middle of the third movement, I started having a coughing fit.  Fortunately (well, to me) it wasn't too noticeable.  I was able to maintain my poise (almost an A Little Night Music reference) and got through it.

After the piece was done, the composer/conductor turned to the audience and explained that most people don't really "get" modern music on the first hearing, so we were going to perform the entire piece again (the chorus knew this ahead of time).  So, we start performing again and in almost the exact same spot in the third movement, I have another mini-coughing fit!  It was quite embarrassing to me, but still I was able to perform without causing too much distraction.  It was the weirdest thing to have the coughs at almost the exact same place in the music!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2004, 12:59:00 AM »

Welcome back, Maya!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2004, 12:59:07 AM »

It is my guess, gentlemen, that those Playmates at the show today will never reach the status of Miss June Wilkinson, and when indeed they are the age that she is today - they will not look like she does.

Still lovely - and "accessible" it seems.  Thanks, Miss Wilkinson!  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2004, 12:59:28 AM »

some may have thought it was written that way, DRGEORGE.

Jennifer

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2004, 06:20:29 AM »

Wow, I was just reading about DR Jenny's news from last night.  That is crazy.  But good luck.

I was surprised when you said the director had not come up with the idea, but was merely going by what you said.  Wow, you must have a lot of influence.

Please keep us posted on rehearsals.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2004, 06:50:50 AM »

Good Morning!

-I had a very nice night's sleep last night.  At first, I thought the "new" Marriott bedding was going to be a bit too soft - there's like this 4-inch thick pillow/foam top mattress pad on the bed - but it helped to lull me to sleep in comfort.  -Sheesh, I sound like ad copy.  In any case, the sun is shining outside, and I need to get my backpack (a.k.a. luggage) packed up, and get my self all set for today's shows.  -Oh, and find some brunch too. :)

BK - I hope your cough is on it's final legs.  With all the rain - and hurricanes - lately in Richmond, the mold levels are very high.  Consequently, I've been dealing with a constant low-level allergic reaction.  No cough, but an irritated throat from the "insipid post-nasal drip"  (that's my doctor's term).  Ugh!  -But that's been the only inconvenience since coming home.  Thankfully, a minor one.  -Oh, that and the mice.

DR Jay - Thanks again.  I bet your car maneuvering is somewhere on someone's private surveillance tapes in the neighborhood.   :o  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2004, 06:58:15 AM »

Oh, and from last night's posts...

DR Jay - I am also amazed by the lack of friendliness and usability of the TicketMonster website.  It appears that their database is based on the date the event takes place rather than the event itself?!?!?  Whenever I'd had to deal with TicketMonster, I usually end up calling them on the phone rather than having to redo my date, event and venue request over and over again to find good seats.  -Now, as for Tele-Charge... I like the new format.  And I even like the old format too.

OK...

Laters...

*OH, did anyone see one of the late sketches on SNL last night?  The one where the escalator broke down?  -An escalator, not an elevator.  I thought it was quite funny turning the situation into a disaster movie.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2004, 07:23:18 AM »

I'm really impressed at high schools that attempt such intricate shows as THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD. Not an easy show at all for professionals to pull off. Wow! Break a leg, DR Maya when the time comes for auditions.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2004, 07:24:12 AM »

Seems like late night denizens last night were having a ball discussing testicles (pun intended), but glad I had gone on to other things.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2004, 07:25:03 AM »

Oh, and from last night's posts...

DR Jay - I am also amazed by the lack of friendliness and usability of the TicketMonster website.  It appears that their database is based on the date the event takes place rather than the event itself?!?!?  Whenever I'd had to deal with TicketMonster, I usually end up calling them on the phone rather than having to redo my date, event and venue request over and over again to find good seats.  -Now, as for Tele-Charge... I like the new format.  And I even like the old format too.

Egads!  I find dealing with the TicketMonster telephone cretins even more frustrating than navigating their website.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2004, 07:25:48 AM »

What I had gone on to was my DVD-R of MURDER AT THE GALLOP. I know Warners is releasing a boxed set of Rutherford/Miss Marples next year on DVD, but for now, I'm pleased as can be with the DVD-Rs I made of the four films.

As for today's DVD romp, still haven't made up my mind which one I'll choose.

Danise

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2004, 07:44:06 AM »

Morning all.  The modem seems to be up and running this morning.  I don't know what happened last night!  

When it went off the last time, it was after ten our time so I just shut the whole computer down.  

I still had the e-mail in the out box so I just deleted it.  

Congrats DR Jenny!

I'm still trying to get Easy Media Creator 7 to "see" my video camera so I can transfer my trips to DVD.  I even bought another copy of Easy Media because I thought that since the other copy I had wouldn't allow me to register it, I got a bad copy.  I bought it (the first copy) off of Amazon.com.

I just got a notice that I have a down load/update--the dreaded Service pack 2 for XP!  Should I allow it to install?

« Last Edit: October 03, 2004, 07:47:28 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2004, 07:51:55 AM »

Good morning, Elmore!  I'm going to attempt to send you a little "test" e-mail to see if it goes through.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2004, 08:35:33 AM »

Good morning, DRDanise and all!

I've been up around an hour and a half now, playing at the computer, reading all the lovely posts and making plans for the day.  For the past 30 minutes I've been bugging vendors on eBay and Half.com about late shipments from over three weeks ago.  I don't understand the delays from some of the DVD vendors, and I still question why anyone would use Media Mail, which has sometimes taken as long as six weeks, over Priority Mail, which I'd rather pay for.

My best friend from college, Matthew, and I are off to see SHAUN OF THE DEAD later this afternoon, and that's my outing for the day.  My social life, between Jo Loesser's party, dinner with PennyO and today's movie, has been busier this week than the past two and a half months.  This week I've a friend in from Ohio as well as DRJane, so I'll be jumping around a bit.

I'll check back in later.  Stay well, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jay

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2004, 08:35:48 AM »

Last night I attended the first subscription concert of the season of the Los Angeles Philharmonic, with Maestro Esa-Pekka Salonen conducting.

With the wraps just removed earlier this week from the new concert organ at the Walt Disney Concert Hall, programming over the first few weeks of the season has been designed to show off this new addition to the serious music scene in Los Angeles.  Mr. Todd Wilson was the guest organist on three of the four pieces played last night.

The concert began with Mr. Wilson alone, playing what is probably the best known piece of organ music ever written, Mr. Johann Sebastian Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D minor.  With Thursday's organ recital largely filled with unfamiliar works, it was nice to hear a piece I know inside and out and my initial impressions of the instrument's magnificence were validated.

Next up it was the orchestra alone, playing Mr. Leopold Stokowski's arrangement of Mr. Bach's Fugue in G minor ("Little.")  Ironically, in contrast to the first piece on the program, this piece communicated how successfully the organ is able to convey an enormous array of orchestral colors.

Next up was Mr. Lou Harrison's Concerto for Organ, with Mr. Wilson as soloist.  The orchestra in this piece consists solely of a percussion battery, requiring ten players and, beyond several of the percussion instruments typically played in a symphony orchestra, instruments such as a set of plumbers's pipes, a large rasp and a rattle.  The two outer movements of this five-movement piece were just so much noise to my ears.  I have never been a fan of keyboards being played with blocks (whereby several contiguous notes are played simultaneously), and there was plenty of it in those two movements.  The three inner movements, however, did offer some nice lyricism and the unusual orchestral accompaniment did create some pleasant exotic effects.

Following the interval, the concert concluded with Mr. Camille Saint-Saens' Symphony No. 3 in C-sharp minor, more commonly known as his "Organ" Symphony.  This was the first test of the balance between the new organ and the full orchestra, and it was a wild success.  There are beautiful soft passages in the piece, and it concludes with a rousing coda.  The cheering following the symphony's conclusion was loud and extended.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2004, 09:04:10 AM by Jay »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2004, 08:51:16 AM »

I must say that I'm not a huge fan of organs (DO NOT GO THERE!). This is not to say that under the right circumstances I might not be delighted by organ music. But I have yet to experience those circumstances. As a sidebar - (Joe's) I especially do not like organs played in synagogues - as they are in certain reform congregations. It just seems totally out of place to my ears.
I feel nauseated this morning. The question is - shall I go for my walk and try to walk it off or eat some breakfast first to make it go away... I think I'll walk first.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2004, 08:56:18 AM »

I must say that I'm not a huge fan of organs (DO NOT GO THERE!).

My neighbor lady told my mother she never liked flies till she opened one.

Some of us fools take no advice and jump right in!

DRPanni, feel better!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2004, 08:59:11 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2004, 09:17:15 AM »

Our very errant and truant dear reader MusicGuy is a wonderful organist - I have many of his albums and they are a delight to listen to.  

Jay

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2004, 09:21:12 AM »

Our very errant and truant dear reader MusicGuy is a wonderful organist - I have many of his albums and they are a delight to listen to.  

I wish the VE&T Dear Reader MusicGuy would return to HHW.com.  Not only do I miss his posts, I am curious about the differences between theatre organs (his specialty) and concert organs (like the one I heard last night) and would like to ask him some questions on the matter.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2004, 09:38:47 AM »

I fear he will never return.  Too bad.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2004, 09:39:23 AM »

As way of explanation, sometimes dear reader Kerry has said he's been extraordinarily busy these days.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2004, 09:44:27 AM »

I especially do not like organs played in synagogues - as they are in certain reform congregations. It just seems totally out of place to my ears.

I couldn't agree with you more, DR Panni.

And during the High Holiday season just past, I was treated to (variously) piano, guitar, violin/harp duo (playing a very lugubrious instrumental version of "Kol Nidre") and, as memory serves, a clarinet at one point.

All very disconcerting to ears that were raised in very traditional conservadox synagogues.  I am sure that all four of my grandparents were having a nice spin at my expense.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2004, 10:03:26 AM »

Yes, another performance of THE SHAPE OF THINGS brings me to the office on this lovely autumn afternoon.  Ergo, my appearance on this here board:  The most intellectual in all of web-dom.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up