Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WE HAD US A TIME  (Read 14574 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
WE HAD US A TIME
« on: October 04, 2004, 12:00:30 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've been imbued with their special meaning, you've had you a time with the notes and now it is time to post all the livelong day and night.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 11:59:49 PM by bk »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:WE HAD US A TIME
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 12:06:14 AM »

Remember:  

Serutan is Natures, spelled backwards!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 12:07:10 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 12:08:48 AM »

What happened to the cows, bk??? Today of all days -- when ANIMALS are the TOD. They're so hurt they're running away and will NEVER come home.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 12:11:51 AM »

My favorite animal stars:

Asta in "The Thin Man" movies.

Lassie

Cleo the Bassett Hound in "People's Choice"

Mr. Ed

Arnold the Pig

Babe the pig

Francis the talking mule
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Panni

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 12:13:44 AM »

The first movie animal that popped into my head was Matisse in DOWN AND OUT IN BEVERLY HILLS.
Of course, there's Lassie in LASSIE COME HOME with Roddy and the beautiful young Elizabeth.
And that incredible horse in THE BLACK STALLION.
And Babe.
And Cheetah, natch. I worked with one of the many Cheetahs in my Tarzan opus. He (and his doubles) were a hoot.

Panni

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 12:16:27 AM »

Oh- How could I forget Toto?
And Old Yeller!
And Trigger.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 12:18:00 AM »

Good Evening!  Good Morning!

I read the rest of yesterday's posts, and I read today's notes and posts posted thus far...

It's 3:15am here on the east coast... I must get to bed...

As for animals... Hmmm...  BK - Was today's topic inpsired by your viewing of "Orca, The Killer Whale"?  ;)

*Actually, "Orca" was one of the first movies I remember seeing as a child.  And at a drive-in too.  Most of it went over my head.  Maybe I should rent it now... Hmm...

Off to Wussburgerville...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 12:18:41 AM »

Just one more. The dog in UMBERTO D. Oh how I cried!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2004, 12:19:54 AM »

Oh- How could I forget Toto?
And Old Yeller!
And Trigger.

"Old Yeller" - I remember reading the book many times when I was in grade school... That and "Sounder" too.  -Or maybe I'm just thinking of "Sounder"... Hmmm...

Wasn't I saying, "Goodnight"?

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2004, 12:48:27 AM »

Animals....well of course my favorite movie animal is Miss June Wilkinson (who now has a copy of KRITZERLAND) - but I think we are talking about another kind....of animal....

So....hmmmm....Old Yeller, of course.  

There is a movie called THREE WISHES with Mr Patrick Swayze wherein he has a dog named Betty who is remarkable...in many ways...and is in fact probably enchanted.  See the movie....

Like RLP I enjoyed Cleo the basset hound (voiced by Mary Jane Croft).

Thomasina the cat is also pretty special.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2004, 12:49:00 AM »

Oh, and the dog in a movie called The Biscuit Eater.   That movie was nearly as sad as Old Yeller!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2004, 03:53:16 AM »

I love Milo in Jim Carrey's The Mask!!! What a great little actor! (Yup, up for hours already!) Maybe I'll try a little nap, now that the morning rush is starting... more later, gang.
PennyO

Ben

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2004, 04:17:56 AM »

Don't mean to start the day with sad news but I just heard that Janet Leigh died. Here is a link to an obit.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=514&e=9&u=/ap/20041004/ap_on_en_mo/obit_leigh

Ben

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2004, 04:21:19 AM »

One last picture from our vacation.

We visited my 21 year old niece, living on her own for the first time. She was very excited that her uncle(s) came to visit that she bought a cake, which in her excitement, she dropped (if you look closely, you can see it's a bit lopsided). Oh, well. It tasted good anyway.

Ben

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2004, 04:26:17 AM »

We spent much of yesterday out and about. It was, as PennyO said, a lovely NYC fall day. We ended our day at Footlight, always a dangerous area for a CD addict but I did come away with two purchases I wasn't expecting, Dance a Little Closer and Romance, Romance. They have been scarce as the proverbial hen's teeth and I was quite pleasantly surprised to see them in the used bin. Hoo and Ray. We then proceeded home where we had a lovely dinner of chicken stew and a green salad, finished by chocolate pudding. I then rode the exercise bike and we then watched the pentultimate episode of Two's Company. According to the listing at WLIW Channel 21, next Thursday is the last episode. They will begin running the program again from the beginning on October 14.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2004, 04:33:37 AM »

Some favorites have already been mentioned (Babe, Toto, Old Yeller). Also on my list is A DOG OF FLANDERS, which starred OLD YELLER'S Spike.

Though he's a TV dog, Eddie from FRASIER has to be included.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2004, 05:13:41 AM »

Moose (Eddie)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2004, 05:50:26 AM »

I'm not much for animals in film, but that Seabiscuit did a reasonably good acting job.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2004, 06:02:14 AM »

Good Morning! (again)

I finally got up early enough - well, more like I finally got up early and stayed(!) up - in order to drop my car off at the service station to get the state inspection done.  It was supposed to be done in "8", but since I was in L.A. in "8", I was not able to get the car inspected during "8".  -And now that it is "10"...  I know I have one taillight out - it just blew last week - and I'm hoping that's the worst of it.  <knock wood>

*And, boy, did I get nervous each time a cop car was in sight while I was driving around this past weekend.  The ticket for having an expired inspection sticker is not high, but it's a ticket nonetheless.

So, now I'm just waiting for the mechanic to call in a few hours...

<knock wood>
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2004, 06:08:54 AM »

Dan-In-T has mentioned my favorite performer, Eddie the dog from Fraiser.  Actually, there were two Eddies;  first there was the dog named Moose, who was the better actor.  Moose retired and was replaced at some point during the run by one of his offspring, whose name escapes me at the mo'.  While the second Eddie was more adept at tricks, he was not the accomplished actor his father was.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2004, 06:14:00 AM »

Well, since I was up and about, I went ahead and walked over to Carytown to do some early morning window shopping and grab some breakfast at Ukrop's.  Today's breakfast selection was "S.O.B.".  I would have had "S.O.S.", but since they didn't have any "S"s, I got the "S" on a "B"(iscuit).  -Which is what I prefer anyway if given the choice.

Then I headed over to Starbuck's to get some coffee - I'm using up a Gift Card.  And then it was a walk up to the Jean-Jacques where I picked up a croissant au chocolat and a croissant d'almonde (???) for consumption later today.

And now I'm here watching the Today show and posting here on HHW.

In a little bit - maybe after a nap - I will be cleaning out one of my bedroom closets.  I'm not looking forward to it.  But it's something I need to do after finding the mice - well the "evidence" of mice last week.  I noticed some more droppings last night when I got in from Norfolk, so...  At least most of my stuff on the floor in that closet is in big plastic bins.  -My other closet has me music which is stored in sturdy (I hope) cardboard boxes.  I'll find what I find... or don't find.

Then tomorrow I will hit the other closet... Then under the bed... Etc., etc., etc...  I really want to get a good cleaning done before I leave for Houston next Monday (for four weeks).

A bit of my sadistic side has been coming out when thinking about how to deal with the mice.  Should I use the poisonous bait?  The old-fashioned snap traps?  The new-fangled "clip" traps?  Glue traps?  The electronic things?  Or a combination of the above?

What I'm hoping is that now that the rains and storms have died down for the season, is that the mice have returned to their "space" under and outside the house... or wherever they live.  Again, we shall see...
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2004, 06:25:34 AM »

A few years ago Moose/Eddie made an appearance at the Canadian National Exhibition. My friend Nancy and Dwight, her beau at the time, gave a contribution to the Humane Society in return for the privilege of posing with Eddie. For several years you'd walk into Nancy's apartment and be greeted by a framed portrait of her, Dwight, and Eddie. Dwight has since been X-acto-ed out of the photo - now it's just Nancy and Eddie. They make a cute couple.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 06:26:42 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2004, 06:32:32 AM »

OHH!!!!...

While having dinner yesterday between shows at Harry's BBQ with the other two keyboard players, I noticed a poster in the window of the restaurant.  While reading it "backwards", I thought it was for a production of ANNIE - at least from the look of the logo.  But what I was reading backwards was definitely not ANNIE.

Once outside, I noticed the poster said ANDREW.  And then in smaller print underneath the title, it said "Based on the musical ANNIE".  WHAT!?!??!  And the picture of Miss(?) Hannigan, Daddy Warbucks and the orphans is... well, I guess priceless.  It was apparently produced by some independent youth group theatre in Norfolk.  The name of the group is actually the first name of the producer/director.

Well, after all three of us had a good laugh at the poster - too bad we had just missed the final matinee! - I mentioned that I would love to have that poster.  Jokingly.  Well, one of the other pianists went back inside the restaurant to ask the manager if he could take the poster out of the window, and a few minutes later he handed it to me.

It is just sooooo wrong.  I'm hoping to scan at least the picture so that I can post it here.  Truly, it is just sooooo wrong.

*Of course, no where on the poster was there a mention of MTI, Martin Charnin nor Charles Strouse.  Hmmm... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2004, 06:38:49 AM »

Ooohh.... There's showing some cats on the Today show from the cat show.  They just showed a black and silver tabby with the most beautiful markings I've ever seen.  -And I'm not even really a cat person.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2004, 07:04:26 AM »

UGH!  -Just saw the local news round up...  Apparently on Saturday night, there was a man holding people up at gun point - with a machine gun! - just three blocks from my apartment!  And it's a very heavy trafficked intersection - both with foot and car traffic!?!?

I guess I might not be walking to and from rehearsal tonight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2004, 07:09:04 AM »

My favorite has been mentioned:  "Eddie" from Frasier.  I was also quite fond of "Max" (I think it was Max) from Mad About You.

I also have to chime in (as did last night's west coast denizens) about how much I enjoyed Desperate Housewives.  I always enjoy Felicity Huffman, and have been a Nicolette Sheridan fan since "Knots Landing."  But I enjoyed not only them, but their castmates, the direction, the writing, it's campiness, and its ability to laugh at itself to some degree.  Though I was not anticipating any sort of a "mystery" aspect to it, I enjoyed that as well.....

And it just goes to prove something I have said for years:  Men are pigs.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 07:09:53 AM by Stuart »

MBarnum

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2004, 07:21:34 AM »

I love animal movies...and TV shows! I will add the lions from BORN FREE and Daisy in the Blondie movies...but the one animal that gets me teary eyed almost everytime is Lassie in her many TV series....of and of course there is Flipper too!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2004, 07:23:30 AM »

I had almost forgotten that Denny Miller was a big reason that I wanted to go to the Hollywood show this time around. I planned on picking up myself an autographed copy of his book! Well, I think he has a website doesn't he? If not I know I have his address and will write to him and find out how much monies to send.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2004, 07:35:19 AM »

Just a reminder...  Today is the last day in most states to register to vote on November 2.
Make Your Own Luck.

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2004, 07:35:56 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Good Morning Everybody![/move][/color]

Terribly errant and truant Donna of Cabaret West here! Just dropping by to tell you about a SPECIAL EVENT sponsored by Cabaret West on Saturday, October 9th at 8 p.m.

Broadway Star SUSAN EGAN
(Beauty and the Beast, Cabaret, Thoroughly Modern Millie)
will open the 2004-2005 Cabaret Series at the
Ruth B. Shannon Center for the Performing Arts
at Whittier College
Tickets are $32 general admission ($27 seniors) and parking is free. There will be a gala opening with celebrities and local dignitaries in attendance. The theatre is an intimate, "jewel box" space with a 400-seat capacity that can be arranged into different seating and stage configurations. There are some great restaurants within walking distance (including The California Grill right across the street). Whittier is an easy 30-minute (or less) drive from downtown Los Angeles

Hope you can make it. Susan is a phenomenal entertainer! If you come, drop by and say hello to me at the Cabaret West table in the lobby. Click these for more info: http://www.shannoncenter.org/ and http://www.susanegan.net/.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up