News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: ZOOM  (Read 13458 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
ZOOM
« on: October 06, 2004, 11:59:44 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've zoomed through the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come zooming home whilst letting out with the occasional mooz.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 12:03:21 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:ZOOM
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 12:13:25 AM »

I don't think I have a place I MOST want to visit. There are a number of places I'd like to see. One is Rome -- and I'm going there in less than a month! I'd like to go to Greece. And to Japan -- but the countryside, not the big cities.
More in the morning.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 03:59:56 AM »

Paris.  If only to say "We'll always have Paris."
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 04:55:37 AM »

Well.....my first choice would be Italy, especially Rome and Venice.  I fell in love with them in the movies.   ;D

Rome Adventure and Summertime...and Three Coins in the Fountain.

And my second choice....Spain...to see the castles and all of the history....Christian and Moorish.

And here in the US....New York and LA of course, but to be a bit more specialized, a nice tour of Frank Lloyd Wright houses and buildings across the country.  8)

Here is Alcazar Castle in Segovia Spain.  
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 04:56:25 AM by JRand54 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2004, 05:23:49 AM »

I've seen much of Canada, but have never been to Newfoundland. This summer I was talking to people who had been to Gros Morne National Park. They talked about its history (Aboriginal; Viking; French; British), scenery, whale watching and wonderful hiking opportunities.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/nl/grosmorne/natcul/natcul13_E.asp

I've read quite a bit about the province, and would love to spend time exploring both St. John's and the outports.

beckon

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2004, 05:40:00 AM »

TOD

China.

It seems such an exotic place; such a different culture.  The Great Wall, The Forbidden City, etc.  Plus, the pictures I have seen of the landscape...Wow!  Like no other place on this planet.  Also, I would like to be able to take my mom there.  It has always been a dream of hers to see the place.
A bell is no bell til you ring it
A song is no song til you sing it
And love in your heart wasn't put there to stay
Love isn't love til you give it away

Oscar Hammerstein II

Ben

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2004, 05:51:19 AM »

A lovely time was had by all last night. We NY HKs finally got to meet the lovely and quite young Jane. Barrymore's turned out to be a very good place to gather. We had good food, good service and wonderful chat. That Sour Cream Apple Pie as the topper was sublime! Plates of tomato and fresh mozzerella, fish and chips and quiche and burgers all around! A very nice patron took pictures of us which can be posted when Jane returns home. Penny raved about What If making the New Yorkers even more jealous of missing the event.

Noel left to teach a class and I had to leave to see a show at Playwrights Horizons. It was a very well done piece called Spatter Pattern (or, How I Got Away With It) by Neal Bell. It's a drama about a screenwriter still getting over the death of his lover. He moves into a new apartment and meets his neighbor, a college professor with some secrets who is now under suspicion of murder. The plot sounds a bit old but it's very well done with small twists and turns and well-crafted dialogue. Peter Frechette plays the screenwriter and he's wonderful. I first remember seeing him in thirtysomething in those great scenes with David Marshall Grant. Good theatre! Nothin' like it, IMHO (in my humble opinion in internet lingo).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 05:52:24 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2004, 05:56:42 AM »

I would love to go to Iceland. I know a couple of people who have been and they say it's a fascinating country. I would try to go around the third week of June so I could see the perpetual daylight of the summer.

There are other places I would like to visit, another cold one being Alaska. Another friend took a summer cruise there and raved about the pristine beauty of the area. I would also like to tour the Fjords.

Japan is high on the list of places to visit. I would also like to visit Australia, to see the country and also to visit our our DR Tom.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2004, 06:02:43 AM »

Good morning, all!  I have a busy day, a meeting with Andre De Shields this morning about the Eubie Blake TAN MANHATTAN, and then an afternoon of play with DRJane, who's braving the subway to come downtown to 14th Street.

All of Europe, since I've never made it any further than London.  I agree with DRBen:  Ireland, home of several of my ancestors, would be a nice place to see as well.  I just finished reading the novel of THE WICKER MAN, and the Hebrides Islands, which inspired a concert overture from Mendelssohn, might be fun to visit.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

William E. Lurie

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2004, 06:17:34 AM »

How many DRs saw the title of today's notes and instantly thought about that wonderful PBS children's show of the 70s (and currently being revived)?

Even though I have heard it is the most expensive place in the world, I'd like to visit Japan.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2004, 06:18:30 AM »

Za, Za, Za, Zoom!  Zoom!  Zoom!  Zoom!  Zoom!

At first, I was going to say that Japan would be my number one place to visit, but thinking it over I'm finding myself more and more drawn to Venice, though it's probably not the best place to travel single-o.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2004, 06:19:10 AM »

Great minds, DR WEL...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2004, 06:26:42 AM »

Like several readers, I too have always wanted to visit Venice.  And like Dear Reader  Noel, it is with a specific purpose:  To sing "Someone Woke Up" in it's appropriate setting.  (and to just experience it, of course!)

Venice tops the list, but I would also like to visit London.  Twice.
First time?  "Papa!  Mama!  I'm here!  I'm in London"
Second time?  (And I need a big hat for this one...)  "I'm in London again!"

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2004, 07:23:07 AM »

Good Morning!

-I think I may head back to bed in a few.  My usual morning "snifflies" just seem a bit too sniffly right now, so...  But as Gloria Gaynor said, "I will surive!" ;)

As for places I would like to visit...  I would like to go back to the Philippines again.  The last time I went, I was six years old.  And I would also like to go back to Taipei - we had a stopover there on the way over to the Philippines.  All I remember about Taipei is the big Buddha in the hotel lobby, and the jade carver who literally had a shop underneath a set of stairs - a very cramped place filled with figurines in various states of completion.  He was a very old man, and I remember being "shocked" at his "office", and by all the jade dust in the air - and he wasn't wearing a face mask - but the shoppers were (or were at least covering their mouths and noses with their hands - including myself).  -Things that stick in your head from age six.

???

I'd also like to go back to Australia, and make it over to the western side, Perth.  European destinations would include Paris, the Po Valley, Lyon... well, almost anywhere in France.  Mykonos, Vienna, Rome, Venice, etc., etc., etc...
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2004, 07:26:49 AM »

To those DRs who want to visit Japan my advice is go, go go! It is the most wonderful place...clean, beautiful, and safe!

Of places I have not been Iceland has always held a fascination to me...also Denmark, Scotland, and Switzerland.

MBarnum

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2004, 07:30:40 AM »

I remember the show ZOOM...and THE ELECTRIC COMPANY also...."Hey you guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuys"!!!!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2004, 07:31:32 AM »

For me, London. Nope, I've never been there, but I've vowed I will only explore London with someone I love. I've been between loves for a few years now. So, I guess I'll have to be content exploring many places in the US where I've never been including Hawaii, Alaska, and Chicago.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2004, 07:33:24 AM »

I forgot to mention this last night, but since I didn't have rehearsal last night, I was able to watch a DVD before the evening prime schedule of TV programs began. I selected the next-to-last Charlie Chan DVD in the boxed set - THE SCARLET CLUE. The murderer was pretty obvious mainly because none of the other suspects was given much screen time in order to make them suspicious. Really, it's undoubtedly the weakest of the Chans in that box. As I said, I have one more to watch.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2004, 07:34:34 AM »

I remember ZOOM, but I watched it either as a college student or young adult. Always thought it was a fun show, and watching it helped me get some pointers of reaching that aged child once I started teaching.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 07:35:11 AM by Matt H. »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2004, 07:41:21 AM »

I've been up since six - I ate a little too much garlic last night and I've been paying the price ($3.86) with a heavy chest.  Not the same kind of heavy chest as our very own June Wilkinson, no, the other kind of heavy chest one gets when one eats food that is a bit too spicy or garlic-laden.  Perhaps I'll go lie down again in a bit.

I haven't been anywhere overseas really - so, London, Japan, France, Italy and Pomona.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2004, 07:42:18 AM »

I would also like to tour the Fjords.

While I would prefer to tour the Cjhevrolets.

(Remember folks:  there's no groaning at HHW.com!)
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2004, 07:45:17 AM »

Like several readers, I too have always wanted to visit Venice.  And like Dear Reader  Noel, it is with a specific purpose:  To sing "Someone Woke Up" in it's appropriate setting.  (and to just experience it, of course!)

On that basis, I'm heading to Rome.  After I sing "Vissi d'arte" at the Farnese Palace, I'll jump into the Tiber from the parapets of the Saint Angelo Castle.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ben

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2004, 07:54:42 AM »

DR Jay said:

While I would prefer to tour the Cjhevrolets.

(Remember folks:  there's no groaning at HHW.com!)

Thanks for the reminder, Jay. I had to struggle mightily not to break that rule  ;)

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2004, 07:55:16 AM »

Places I've never been but would like to go: Hawaii, Paris, Venice.

Jennifer

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2004, 08:01:16 AM »

Re: my salmon steak last night.

I know I only bake salmon fillets for about 15 minutes at 375F.  But I wasn't sure how long for the steaks, since they are much thicker.

I think Emily's rule of 20 minutes per inch was good.  I baked them for 20 minutes and they were cooked just right.

One thing I never do though is turn them.

As for tonight's ribs, I cannot decide whether to bake them and then broil them at the end.  Or bake them and then BBQ/grill them at the end.  Has anyone done the grilling thing?  Does it make a big difference? I've always wanted to try BBQing ribs.  I'm guessing 20 minutes at the end? (i read that somewhere).

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2004, 08:45:13 AM »

Good morning all

I've always wanted to visit Italy and Australia, in no particular order.  When it comes to US desinations, New York has to top the list.  I have been there, of course, but it was an all too brief stay during a choir tour in college, and I'd left my wallet in Miami, so I was wandering around the city flat broke...I'd like to go again with $$ in my pocket and the freedom to stay as long as I like.  

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2004, 08:48:29 AM »

From the notes, I, too, thought of "ZOOM" the PBS Children's series, I grew up with that series.  I would also like to know where I can find a picture of an ice skating Giselle, it sounds fascinating.  London, Paris (especially Disneyland Paris) Itlay, Australia, and Hawaii are all on my places to see someday.  Hopefully, next summer, Eric and I are going to London and perhaps France.  
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 09:11:10 AM by Matthew »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2004, 09:17:11 AM »

In London, I gave myself a Tessie O'Shea/Ada Cockle (London Is A Little Bit of All Right) tour: Bow Bells, Big Ben, Up to the heath and down again, Battersea Park, and Kew Gardens.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2004, 09:21:38 AM »

As for salmon, with all the bad press farmed salmon has been receiving, I tried wild salmon a couple of weeks ago. It cost twice as much - and didn't taste nearly as good. I went back to farmed, which (a thick filet) I cook at 375° for 21 minutes.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2004, 09:22:12 AM »

Reading the posts this morning, I realize that I'm a lucky ducky in that I've been to a lot of places already - even Newfoundland!
I'd like to add Australia to the list - especially now that I have a HHW friend there.
I'd like to go back to Venice.
And I'd like to see Prince Edward Island (home of Anne of Green Gables). My best friend Kate's family owns a huge property there, so maybe one day I will.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up