Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: CHICKEN IS THE THEME  (Read 15941 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:CHICKEN IS THE THEME
« Reply #150 on: October 08, 2004, 09:45:24 PM »

Reading about the passing of Wally Harper...  He will be missed.  Thankfully, his work as a producer, composer, arranger, collaborator and accompanist is well-documented and well-preserved on recordings.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #151 on: October 08, 2004, 09:45:46 PM »

I finished watching LOVE ME TONIGHT, and despite Myrna Loy and a wonderful cast of character actors I am afraid I didn't find it as entertaining as many of the other DRs did. I didn't find it to be terrible or anything, just wasn't my cup of tea I guess...afterwards I watched the Busby Berkley musical DAMES starring Dick Powell, Ruby Keeler, and Joan Blondell...now that is the kind of musical!! Those big production numbers were fantastic!  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #152 on: October 08, 2004, 09:48:55 PM »

As for the customer always being or not being right...  When I worked retail - sheet music store - I did like my interaction with the customers - and even some of the confrontations with the customers - but I always found my favorite part of retail was dealing with inventory.  It was just me and the music. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #153 on: October 08, 2004, 09:49:55 PM »

Regarding Jay's point, I agree the customer should be treated with respect.  But by the same token, I don't think any clerk needs to meekly accept abuse or rudeness from a customer.  

Unfortunately, the words "customer service" went by the wayside long ago.  Too many of these slackers, if not rude and unknowledgeable, are just plain indifferent. I stood in an ARBY'S for five minutes today with about six people behind the counter before anybody ask if they could help me.  How many times have you gone up to a counter to pay for a purchase and the clerk rings you up without ever breaking her cell phone call.

I remember when I was working in a book store, I decided for the hours I was there I would do the minimal requirements of the job.  I soon found out that my idea of "minimal requirements" of the job was so far beyond what was expected and what most other workers did, that I could have been managing the place if I had wanted.  I attribute it to my good old Puritan work ethic.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #154 on: October 08, 2004, 09:51:01 PM »

BK - I hope your jacuzzi time helps with your aches and pains.  -Have you seen a doctor?  *I seem to remember a director I worked with recently encouraging - well, basically demanding - that his cast members see a doctor if they were dealing with a cough, sore throat, etc.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #155 on: October 08, 2004, 09:53:10 PM »

OH!

Do any DRs have any must-see's, must-eat-at's, must-do's, etc. in Houston?  *I get a car with the contract, so...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #156 on: October 08, 2004, 09:53:42 PM »

DRCharlesPogue,  I see a trek to Tower Records this week to find the Tyson album.

I've always liked working in bookstores and the library, and I miss my two days a week at Barnes & Noble.  I like having a job that takes me out of my usual group of colleagues and puts me into an entirely different social milieu.  I'm hoping I'll be back before the Christmas holiday sales begin, but it all depends on my health and the surgery.  I currently can't stand up for a long period of time without tiring, and I can't be as active as the job requires.  I actually do like helping customers, but I'm lousy when I get a hostile one because I give it right back to them, and that isn't always a good thing.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #157 on: October 08, 2004, 09:54:36 PM »

~~~~GOOD NEW JOB VIBES FOR DR JED!!!~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #158 on: October 08, 2004, 09:57:34 PM »

So many of the clerks at B&N are college students, but I find there's a current lack of broad education in this generation.  A composer friend of mine went into the Upper West Side B&N about a year ago and asked a clerk where he could find "Rip Van Winkle."  The clerk asked, "Is that the author?"
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: October 08, 2004, 10:00:06 PM »

OH!

Do any DRs have any must-see's, must-eat-at's, must-do's, etc. in Houston?  *I get a car with the contract, so...

DRJose,  I was there for six weeks in 1991 with BABES IN TOYLAND. There's a fantastic Mexican restaurant, but I forget its name!  Just be glad you are there at this time of year.  The heat is impossible in the summer.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #160 on: October 08, 2004, 10:05:00 PM »

I feel ever so relaxed now, and I shall eat some grape licorice and watch It's Alive II.  Earlier I watched a region 2 DVD of Mr. Samuel Fuller's Forty Guns, about which more later.

François de Paris

« Reply #161 on: October 08, 2004, 10:08:22 PM »

And, Dear Reader Panni, I do not recall you being so concerned with the bank's employees' life issues at home when you dealt with your deposit going astray the other day.  

That is low of you DR Jay to say so, because Panni said that the problem should have been the Bank's problem NOT HERS; she was not making things personal with any employee...

AND some huge amount of money supposedly lost is not the same as not getting a box to put some jewelry in...

If i recall correctly, Jennifer said that that woman was not being aggressive and somewhat seemed to be joking!

My... that "off with her head" attitude is so darn scary! ;)

Last night, i had some Canadian visitors, not guests of the hotel, taking a picture of me with their cellular, and i was not asked for permission! (and I did not really want to be photographed, and let it known!...)
They kind of joke at the result -- i could not care less -- AND I was given a 10 euros bill as a "tip"!
Well, I do think they were being rude, really!
So much for "exotism"....

Then, I guess the customer -- even when he is not a customer, has to be right!! >:(

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #162 on: October 08, 2004, 10:12:19 PM »

So many of the clerks at B&N are college students, but I find there's a current lack of broad education in this generation.  A composer friend of mine went into the Upper West Side B&N about a year ago and asked a clerk where he could find "Rip Van Winkle."  The clerk asked, "Is that the author?"

The correct answer: He's on the second floor, sleeping on one of the couches.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #163 on: October 08, 2004, 10:15:18 PM »

OK... I'm tired.  I need some rest.  I need some sleep.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #164 on: October 08, 2004, 10:18:35 PM »

...Oh, and there was that clerk I used to work with who would always look for Rimsky-Korsakov under the "K's".. ;)

But, of course, nothing tops music students - voice majors seem to be the major culprits - who sing/play songs from the "red book" or the "yellow book" rather than from the collection of Faure or Strauss songs.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #165 on: October 08, 2004, 10:20:59 PM »

OH!  And since it's still Friday...

CD Player: Peter Cincotti's new CD.  Very interesting.  It's a bit more "edgy" than I was expecting.  And his own compositions definitely show the influence of Elton John and Billy Joel - at least according to my ears.

OK... Once again... Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #166 on: October 08, 2004, 10:41:33 PM »

Yours! :)
We already have five dogs, Francois.  If we were to add a sixth on a permanent basis, he or she would have to be a playmate for Fletcher, the deaf Dalmatian pup.  That rules out Zeus, who is too old to be that playmate, and doesn't care for Fletcher at any rate.

I have no problem with turning our home into a foster home for dogs.  What we (der Brucer and I) want to do is find good homes for dogs who would otherwise be put to death by the pounds.  The problem is two-fold: getting word out to people that good pets are available, and matching the right dogs with the right people.  And there are no easy solutions to these problems, because we're dealing with individuals, both canine and human.

Fortunately, there are rescue associations that deal with exactly these kind of problems, and der B. has connected us with a good group of people.  So there is hope.

Right now, Zeus is sleeping on my bed, with Marty on the floor close by.  Marty is particularly concerned with this newcomer to our house, and is trying to make Zeus feel comfortable.  Remarkable, how dogs can react to situations, sometimes better than their human counterparts.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #167 on: October 08, 2004, 10:44:11 PM »

Anne Coulter makes me sick. Blechhhh!
Frankly, ditto.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #168 on: October 08, 2004, 10:51:31 PM »

OH!

It's been so long since I've been in Houston that I don't even know if any place I went to is still open.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #169 on: October 08, 2004, 11:34:19 PM »

It's wussburger time.  Der B and I have a list of errands for tomorrow, which keeps growing and growing...

Like getting a new cartridge for the color printer.

Like getting refills for my meds.

Like getting photocopies of records.

Like managing our doggy day (and night) care center.

:-\
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up