Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: CHICKEN IS THE THEME  (Read 16058 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:CHICKEN IS THE THEME
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2004, 01:13:59 PM »

I'm going to have to go buy Love me Tonight now, because I've never seen it and everyone says it's brilliant.

It's a wonderful musical, and it's beautifully shot. The score is sent from heaven above. I've had the DVD for quite a few months and have watched it several times. Simply grand.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2004, 01:15:11 PM »

Der Brucer and I now have a cage in our dining room.

It is not for chickens.

It's intended as temporary "shelter" for a dog we're going to be fostering for a little while.  Zeus, who appears to be a border collie mix, is very shy, and is used to having a cage as a "home," sort of a security blanket.  His owner has to moving to a place that doesn't allow pets, and wasn't able to find him a new home before the moving date.  I expect there will be a few damp eyes when we go to pick up Zeus this evening.

The cage itself measures about four feet by three, and three feet high, which is plenty of room.  It's also very airy, a friendly enclosure.  All it needs is a blanket on the bottom (which is already solid) to make it homey.  (We could use it for some kinky stuff, but we're not into that, and haven't been for...uh, never mind.   ::))  

Thus begins our great experiment, to see if we can help as a foster family until the dogs we take in can find a permanent home.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 01:18:33 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2004, 01:19:35 PM »

I also  have a DVD of a Michael Caine movie SHINER that I picked up.

I got a used copy of that a couple of weeks ago but haven't as yet had time to watch it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2004, 01:30:46 PM »

Oy.  Had another sort of run in at my favorite jewelry counter (in the same department store where a few weeks ago the guy wanted to call security on me).

They put out new stuff in the liquidation rack occasionally.  Well there was this Tommy Hilfiger necklace I had been looking at.  But it was $60 regular price.  Well today it was on the reduced rack for 30% off $33.  And it had matching earrings.

Anyhow I buy them.  The woman takes off the discount.  Then I ask for a box.

And she looks at me like I am crazy.

Then she proceeds to say, "we don't have any boxes and haven't seen Christmas".

Okay I"m already in a bad mood, but can she be serious?  I shop there at least once a month, and I've always gotten a box.  Plus there are hundreds of red boxes sitting out with reduced jewelry in them.  So I ask if I can take one.

"No!"

Can she be serious?

I'm sensing deja vu. :)

Finally I say (and I might have been a bit snippy), "I shop here all the time and i've always gotten a box, are you sure you can't find me one?"

(i really hate when they throw expensive jewelry in plastic bag, like it's crap).

So finally she tells me she will go look in another department and I thank her.

She comes back with nothing.

Then finally gives me one of the red boxes.

Oh I forgot the best part. After I said, "are you sure you can't find me a box, i really don't like carrying silver jewelry rattling around in my bag" she said, "okay well you don't have to buy it, i can give you a refund" (as she proceeded to grab my stuff).

What is with these people?  Why do they try to have you return merchandise to solve disputes???
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 01:31:43 PM by Jennifer »

Jennifer

« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2004, 01:37:38 PM »

Comments about last night's JOEY.

DR MattH, don't read if you haven't watched it yet.

Last night's Joey was very funny.  But it sort of bothered me how much liberty they took with how plays are put on.

Joey took 3 understudy jobs at the same time.  Well all 3 understudies called in sick the same night (the first night?).

He didn't know any of this lines.  And they were having him go on stage without rehearsal.  This already was slightly ludicrous.

But then Joey shows up and does the Richard III monologue in the wrong play.  Now it was very funny.  But come on, there are stage managers, and at least some people standing backstage.  Like nobody would notice he was dressed in a robe and crown istead of a cowboy suit!?!

This was actually really funny.  But the other thing really bugged me.  Because they totally made it seem like that is how theatre is done.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2004, 01:44:56 PM »

Also, re: "B'way: The Golden Age."

I think it's high time that Edie Adams and Mimi Hines do a stock tour of SIDE SHOW.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2004, 01:50:56 PM »

LOVE ME TONIGHT is very funny....somewhat dated...and how much you like it depends on what you think of Chevalier, I think.  I don't like him much, so it's not the HIT some people think it is.  BUT it is very clever and fun.

FOR a 1930's comedy - although not a musical - I will take DESIRE with Gary Cooper and Marlene Dietrich...LOL....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2004, 02:20:28 PM »

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone on this beautiful Friday (it's about ninety degrees here).  Just got back from errands and my new 'do, and now I'm on my way to see some video footage of What If.  Keep the home fries burning, you hear?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2004, 02:26:56 PM »

It's raining here in Olympia.  Last night I ushed for Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead and there was wonderful weather.  I wore a black polyester (ugg) button-down short-sleeved shirt, black jeans with black socks with a pair of leather sandals.  The problem is that I left my tennis shoes at my house and after ushing, I went to the house where I'm house-sitting.  I've been walking around in sandals with no socks in the rain (I went out for lunch).  Not a smart choice on my part.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2004, 02:28:23 PM »

Oy.  Had another sort of run in at my favorite jewelry counter (in the same department store where a few weeks ago the guy wanted to call security on me).

What is with these people?  Why do they try to have you return merchandise to solve disputes???

Are you kidding us with this?

This happened?  And you didn't go straight to the store manager and lodge a complaint????

I'd have screamed bloody murder until that sales clerk was fired!

You HAVE to tell someone in the store management.  

The treatment you received was absurd and grossly incompetent.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 02:29:09 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2004, 02:30:35 PM »

Also, re: "B'way: The Golden Age."

I think it's high time that Edie Adams and Mimi Hines do a stock tour of SIDE SHOW.

If Edie and Mimi pass on it why don't you and DB Jay work it up and take it for a spin?

Maybe BK would produce/direct it for you!

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2004, 02:46:19 PM »

It's POURING in Tacoma right now.  I just bought the SE of Aladdin...I do love this movie...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2004, 02:47:13 PM »

Jennifer I agree with RLP....this is the SECOND time....go speak to someone before your next transaction.  THIS isn't good customer service.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2004, 02:55:29 PM »

If Edie and Mimi pass on it why don't you and DB Jay work it up and take it for a spin?

Maybe BK would produce/direct it for you!

LOL   ;D

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2004, 03:04:46 PM »

I've caught up on the posts, but I've just come from a very LOOOOOONG meeting (followed by a nice lunch on the producers -- well not ON them) - and I'm too tired to post and must do some errands.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2004, 03:09:52 PM »

Matth, my copy of Shiner is also used. got it for like  $4.95 or something.  I figure when you can buy a movie for under five bucks that you want to see why rent it.

Tonight I must sup with Harlan Ellison.   Tomorrow we get a new dog.  I don't think there is any discernable connection to those to sentences.

François de Paris

« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2004, 03:37:04 PM »

and how much you like it depends on what you think of Chevalier, I think.  I don't like him much, so it's not the HIT some people think it is.  BUT it is very clever and fun.

WHAT???? :o

... and I thought so highly of you, DR Jrand!!

Of course, Allison is not in it ;) but there's Jeannette is she's not chopped-liver!

I LOVE MAURICE!

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2004, 03:37:36 PM »

Are you kidding us with this?

This happened?  And you didn't go straight to the store manager and lodge a complaint????

I'd have screamed bloody murder until that sales clerk was fired!

You HAVE to tell someone in the store management.  

The treatment you received was absurd and grossly incompetent.

No, I'm not kidding. I described it pretty much as it happened.

But I actually left feeling bad, like I was too forceful.

I always say thank you and try to be very nice.  But I believe that 90% of customers accept what the sales clerk says.  For example I am quite positive that most people would have left without a box the instant they were told there were none.

My problem is that I don't take no for an answer (if they don't do what I ask).  And especially in this case where I have gotten boxes for every jewelry purchase I've ever made (and we're talking more than 30).

I believe that she didn't have any of the correct boxes.  But there were boxes for other reduced jewelry.  And boxes for gold jewelry.  And I'm pretty sure the other clerks just give whatever.  This woman was most likely going by the book.  It just really bugged me that she wouldn't do a thing to help me.

So which part do you guys find bad on her part?  That she tried to refund my purchase?  Or that she wouldn't give the box?

This is a huge department store (The Bay).  It has 3 floors.  And most of their customer reps are really nice.  There are probably 15 who do jewelry.  And a bunch of them are extremely nice.

The thing is I'm not even sure if this lady has a manager.  I see her there a lot, and wouldn't be surprised if she was one of the higher ups in that department.  But of course there are managers for each floor.  It's just a really large department store.  So it's not really obvious how one would complain.

She didn't technically do anything wrong.  She informed me there were no boxes.  And everything she said was in a very sweet tone.  I just wouldn't let up.  And like I said, normal customers don't do that.  

The funny thing is the other clerk who was working today is one of my favorites.  She always compliments me on what I'm buying and tells me what great taste I have.  Now that is what a clerk should do. :)

François de Paris

« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2004, 03:40:04 PM »

Jennifer I agree with RLP....this is the SECOND time....go speak to someone before your next transaction.  THIS isn't good customer service.

Don't ask for Maurice Chevalier!
You'd get funny looks and he sure can't help you anymore in this matter! ;)

I can't believe there are people who don't like Chevalier!
Republicans! :o ;D

François de Paris

« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2004, 03:42:15 PM »

LOVE ME TONIGHT is very funny....somewhat dated...

Somewhat DATED! 1932!

You can say that again! :)

Jennifer

« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2004, 03:43:54 PM »

Like I said, this isn't a regular store.  It has so many departments (and i buy stuff there a lot), that I couldn't really speak to someone BEFORE my next transaction.

But I'll definitely keep my eye out on the jewelry crew.  And hopefully they won't mess with me again. :)

François de Paris

« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2004, 03:56:35 PM »

Like I said, this isn't a regular store.  It has so many departments (and i buy stuff there a lot), that I couldn't really speak to someone BEFORE my next transaction.

But I'll definitely keep my eye out on the jewelry crew.  And hopefully they won't mess with me again. :)

Boycott The Bay!
Boycott The Bay!

http://www.fact-index.com/t/th/the_bay.html

I patronized The Bay when I was "Canadian" but mainly the bargain Basement section! :D
It's true!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2004, 03:57:58 PM »

***VIBES REQUEST***

Okay, all you dear HHW folk, I have a vibes request.  It's not for me, however.  I know DR Jed has drifted from the flock of late, but he needs vibes now nonetheless.  After months of searching and coming up with zip, he has finally found and applied for a job that's absolutely perfect for him.  Having a degree in music education, and five years experience working a library...what could be more perfect than a Music Library job??  The people would be nuts not to hire him.  So I'm asking for vibes on his behalf, because I believe in the amazing power of the HHW vibes.  Let's all hope he hears back from these people...and eventually hopefully gets the job.

Thanks  :D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2004, 03:59:26 PM »

Jennifer:  It should not matter who the lady is or thinks she is.  Customer service is an "institution"...and the customer is always right.

Did you not tell us that you'd always gotten boxes there before?

Did you not tell us that she suggested giving you a refund rather than finding you a box?

That, alone, should send the higher echelons of store management into a fit of rage.

File a customer complaint.  Don't rationalize about it by thinking of how much better other salespeople treat you..THEY aren't the ones you're reporting.  

I assure you, though, that one bad apple CAN and often DOES spoil a barrel.  If you like that store and want to continue going there and be happy about it, you owe it to yourself, and the store, to nip this little problem in the bud (or butt, as the case may be)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2004, 04:01:27 PM »

Don't ask for Maurice Chevalier!
You'd get funny looks and he sure can't help you anymore in this matter! ;)

I can't believe there are people who don't like Chevalier!
Republicans! :o ;D

There has been some rumor floating around since WWII that Chevalier entertained the Nazi occupiers.  It has been perceived as sympathetic, but it did not ruin his international popularity or career.  It's just "out there" and leaves a bad taste in some folks' mouths.

Probably because of "The Sorrow and the Pity" (and this is from Doug Savant's review off the internet):

"Maurice Chevalier is featured prominently in the documentary.  He's the grinning boulevardier singer, who with most entertainers in Paris, weathered the occupation living a high life with the German occupiers, while the non - V.I.P. population lost an average of 25 pounds each due to malnutrition.  Some of his songs provide infrequent background for archival footage.  The picture ends with a newsreel of him, grinning like a baby, claiming he was not a collaborator.  The charges against him that he was one were false, you see, because he never went to Germany to perform singing engagements for the Nazis, not once!  He did go to sing for French P.O.W.'s in their camps, and that was it!  Honest, you can believe Maurice!  He's just a singing, non-political carefee guy!  After all the sincere testimony from citizens, important and humble, Chevalier's image-mending comes off as particularly heinous.  This must be the 'pretty, Guilty world' that Orson Welles spoke of in The Lady from Shanghai.   Chevalier then goes on to associate himself with the Americans, singing his debut song from Paramount on Parade (1930), which has the the jaunty lyric, "I'll be making Rain - bows, sweeping the clouds away.'  The Sorrow and the Pity make a better case for dragging those clouds back and taking a good hard look at them. "

« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 04:10:27 PM by RLP »

George

« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2004, 04:06:32 PM »

***VIBES REQUEST***

Okay, all you dear HHW folk, I have a vibes request.  It's not for me, however.  I know DR Jed has drifted from the flock of late, but he needs vibes now nonetheless.  After months of searching and coming up with zip, he has finally found and applied for a job that's absolutely perfect for him.  Having a degree in music education, and five years experience working a library...what could be more perfect than a Music Library job??  The people would be nuts not to hire him.  So I'm asking for vibes on his behalf, because I believe in the amazing power of the HHW vibes.  Let's all hope he hears back from these people...and eventually hopefully gets the job.

Thanks  :D

From one library worker to a potential library worker:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~ BESTEST JOB VIBES TO D.R. JED!!! ~~~~~[/move]

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~ BESTEST JOB VIBES TO D.R. JED!!! ~~~~~[/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2004, 04:08:38 PM »

But on a sad note, Playbill.com just reported that Wally Harper has died.  Click HERE to read the article.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2004, 04:16:09 PM »

The news about Wally Harper is a MAJOR BUMMER!  His influence in the concert career of Barbara Cook -- and the music they've made together the past 35-plus years -- makes this loss devastating.

I feel extremely fortunate to have seen/heard him with her at San Francisco's Curran Theater last year in her "Mostly Sondheim" tour.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2004, 04:16:42 PM by RLP »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2004, 04:18:44 PM »

Just for Jed....a vibe from Oakland CA:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]THRUM-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M-M[/move]

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2004, 04:19:03 PM »

Yes, such sad news about Wally Harper. I saw him and Barbara Cook in Toronto during their last appearance here. They truly were a team.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up