Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: PITHY REMARDS  (Read 15495 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
PITHY REMARDS
« on: October 09, 2004, 11:59:11 PM »

Well, you've read the notes whilst lazing about in your lounging pyjamas, smoking jacket and pipe, and slippers, and now it is time to post until the pithy cows come pithily home.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 12:00:32 AM by bk »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:PITHY REMARDS
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 01:05:16 AM »

First post Huzzah!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 01:06:17 AM »

I shall not post MANY posts as yet....as I did yesterday.  I am going to see a production of PIPPIN today at the University of Indianapolis.  I have NEVER seen a production of PIPPIN and I am reticent....oh yes....I am reticent.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2004, 02:00:05 AM »

Gee, DR François....all those peppery remarks about firing folks -- neighbors, and whatnot  -- that sure showed me.  

Certainly put me in my place.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 02:03:40 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2004, 06:45:14 AM »

Good Morning!

Again, just checking in...

Had a good dinner last night, and a good time just hanging out and "decompressing" from the matinee...

I'm puttering around the apartment right now trying to get some stuff in order for my trip to Houston tomorrow... And then a 1:00 matinee... And then more puttering...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2004, 07:44:21 AM »

Good morning, all!  I'm still sleeping late, and I really like being up and moving in the mornings.  I know the time change will put me back an hour, but my mornings are slipping past.

I have a question today for the DRs.  Jerry Seinfeld has his bete noir Newman, and I have a neighbor on my third floor of the building who's my equivalent:  the man's a waste, a jerk, a moron, and a pompous ass.  Of my five  neighbors on this floor, he's the only one who has never, since my health problems began, offered any sort of help or inquired about my health except to make a moronic comment like "I see you're out without your cane."  Duh! It was a pair of crutches.

So, DRs, do you each have a Newman for a neighbor?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2004, 07:47:18 AM »

Good morning everyone!

Hmmm reading about pyjamas made me think about how I always spell it pajamas.  But actually it reminded me that I noticed my favorite pajama pants at Costco yesterday.  So I think I shall go back and get them today.

I didn't get them yesterday because I wasn't sure what size mine were.  And they have no dressing rooms there.

It is the most bizarre place to try on clothes.  They literally make a killing here on clothes.  Which is bizarre to me, since there are no dressing rooms.

Although I will say that the clothes are VERY good prices, and extremely high quality (as opposed to Walmart's clothes for example which I mostly find to be of very low quality).

Well if you want to try on clothes at Costco you have two choices.  You can either buy it and return it if it doesn't fit.  Or you can try it on there IN FRONT OF ALL THE OTHER CUSTOMERS.

Now for shirts/jackets ... it is no problem.  But they sell a lot of PANTS.  So I've taken to carrying a thin skirt in my purse.  So I just put on my skirt and am on my way.

That's not to say that this is still not slightly embarrassing.  But a lot of people are doing similar things.  So if one wants to buy these clothes, one must forget about being embarrassed. :)

Jennifer

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2004, 08:02:48 AM »

« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 08:04:33 AM by Jennifer »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2004, 08:10:37 AM »

Brooklyn the musical:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1948&ncid=2021&e=5&u=/variety/20041010/va_th_ne/new_tuner_takes_a_cue_from__q

Has anyone seen this show?  It sounds very interesting.

DRJennifer, a friend of mine saw it this week and said it was dreadful, but the cast was quite talented.  Then, again, he said the same of MAMA MIA! and it's still running.  I am avoiding the show because of some of its personnel, who will never get a dime from me.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2004, 08:16:53 AM »

The person running sound for SOMETHING'S AFOOT saw BROOKLYN in previews last week and liked it, especially the music. There was a lengthy article about it in VARIETY this morning, too.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2004, 08:18:16 AM »

I thought I'd send a few WHERE'S CHARLEY? photos.  Here's a publicity shot of Greg Mills (Jack), Kristin Huxhold (Kitty), Noha Racey (Charley) and Nili Bassman (Amy).  Greg was a hoot, and one of my 4 housemates in Connecticut.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 08:50:24 AM by elmore3003 »

Matt H.

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2004, 08:19:07 AM »

Many thanks, DR Panni, for sharing that Monty Clift autograph. Seeing him in the film yesterday made me realize how much I miss his presence in movies and how wonderful he was. That much disliked film he made with Jennifer Jones, released here as INDISCRETIONS OF AN AMERICAN WIFE, I've never seen. I think that's the only one of his that I've missed.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2004, 08:19:11 AM »

A production shot of the "New Ashmolean" number.  The two ladies in front are our leading ladies Kristin Huxhold (Kitty) and Nili Bassman (Amy) and the gentleman behind and betwixt them is Josh Grisetti, Noah's understudy.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 08:25:59 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2004, 08:19:43 AM »

"Once in Love With Amy."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2004, 08:20:14 AM »

Charley and Spettigue (Ron Lee Savin).
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 08:51:27 AM by elmore3003 »

Matt H.

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2004, 08:20:40 AM »

Great pics, DR Elmore.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2004, 08:24:04 AM »

This is the ladies' dressing room scene; the lady in red is Donna Lucia, the real Charley's Aunt.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2004, 08:28:09 AM »

It appears that there was no skimping on the costume budget!  The duds look lavish.  And what an attractive cast!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2004, 08:35:35 AM »

Here's the opening night party:  Richard Pilbrow (lights), Tony Walton, Lisa Shriver (choreography), and Michael Price (Goodspeed producer).

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2004, 08:36:27 AM »

Last one:  Tony, Nili, and Noah at the party.

Jay

« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2004, 08:59:03 AM »

I never did file a report last night on my comings and goings of yesterday.  My bad.

The New York City Ballet matinee performance at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion at the Los Angeles Music Center was comprised of four pieces:  

--Mr. George Balanchine's 1941 Concerto Barocco, to Mr. Johann Sebastian Bach's Concerto for Two Violins and Orchestra in D Minor

Beautiful, clean chorography that uses a small corps to create interesting patterns on the stage.

--Mr. Peter Martins' 2001 Hallelujah Junction, to music for two pianos (played on-stage) by Mr. John Adams

Of all the dance I've seen this week (two performances by the New York City Ballet plus Movin' Out), this was by far the most thrilling performance.  The music unfolds and spins (not unlike the Bach, though relying on very different structure and tonality) and the dancing provided wave after wave of thrilling body movement involving up to eleven dancers in various combination.  One of the two male leads in this piece brought down the house, and deservedly so.

--Mr. Balanchine's 1960 Tschaikovsky Pas de Deux to music long lost from Swan Lake

This was the most traditional piece in the program, offering homage to the choreographic style of Mr. Petipa and others of his ilk.

--Mr. Jerome Robbins' 1983 I'm Old Fashioned, to Mr. Morton Gould's variations on a song by Mr. Jerome Kern

This piece opens with a film clip of Mr. Fred Astaire and Miss Rita Hayworth dancing to the ballet's title song from the film You Were Never Lovlier.  Following the clip there is a series of variations performed to Mr. Gould's riffs on the song by Mr. Kern.  Mr. Astaire and Miss Hayworth make a return appearance on a large screen, accompanied by the company dancing on stage, costumed in copies of what the dancers on film are wearing.  While this sounds like a boffo concept guaranteed to wow an audience, I found it the least engaging of the afternoon's performances.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2004, 09:13:01 AM »

I am going to see a production of PIPPIN today at the University of Indianapolis.  I have NEVER seen a production of PIPPIN and I am reticent....oh yes....I am reticent.....

I can understand your feeling, and it ties in with something I say in my annual "subjective history of musical theatre" lecture.  I talk about how, in the 1970s, the Broadway musical became something along the lines of a director's theatre, with the staging getting as much focus, and critical appreciation as the book, music and lyrics.  Peter Stone once said "If it ever becomes director's theatre, we're all dead."

I'd say the musical theatre today is no longer director's theatre, and that's because so many of the great creative directors (Fosse, Michael Bennett, Gower Champion, Wilford Leach) are no longer around.

But Pippin was the first show I saw in which the writing and the staging were so interwoven, I would never want to see one without the other.  It was Fosse's great direction and choreography, along with those brilliant designs, that made Pippin such an enjoyable experience.

And Fosse's long dead.  So, approaching any Pippin production today, I'd be similarly reticent.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2004, 09:15:48 AM »

BK - Knowing you the pipe is not lit.

Jennifer - I have heard a demo of 4 songs from BROOKLYN.  If you like "American Idol" type singing you may enjoy the show, but it is all just screaming to me.

This weekend was the season openers for two similar series: Musicals in Mufti presented Bob Merrill’s HENRY, SWEET HENRY while Musicals Tonight opened with Cole Porter’s JUBILEE.  Both were among the best that these series have done and I hope it is an omen for the whole season.

As you probably know, HENRY, SWEET HENRY is the musical version of the film THE WORLD OF HENRY ORIENT.  The musical is a fairly faithful adaptation.  The major change is turning the character of Kafritz (who had only one line in the film) into a major role which got Alice Playten a Tony® nomination in the original since she had two show-stopping songs.  Mufti’s Kafritz --- Sara Inbar --- was more than up to the task.  The whole cast was excellent although less familiar than most Mufti casts.  The only semi name was Kaitlin Hopkins from BATBOY.  This is exactly the kind of shows Mufti does best: entertaining musical comedies from the 50s and 60s that were less than successful in their Initial run.  You can tell without looking that they get an older audience when the biggest laugh in the show came from the mention of the name Princess Lee Radziwell!

Musicals Tonight moved to a new theatre this season.  It is a much better location although the theatre itself is not as intimate as the one they used last year.  JUBILEE is the musical created when songwriter Cole Porter, book writer Moss Hart and (original) director Monty Wooley took a cruise together.  Anyone who had any doubts about Hart’s sexual preference only has to see this show to know what  Kitty may or may not have discovered.  It is a very camp work with the royal family of England going incognito to live out their fantasies.  The queen asks to be called “Butch”.  Characters are based on Johnny Weismuller, Noel Coward, Elsa Maxwell and others.  I saw this show at Carnegie Hall a few years ago (DR Elmore did the orchestrations or arrangements which I remember were quite good compared with the piano only at Musicals Tonight) with an all-star cast but the only other memories of it I have were of Michael Jeeter running around doing rope tricks and Sandy Duncan forgetting the lyrics to three of her songs!  The score is one of Cole Porter’s best featuring two standards (“Begin the Beguine” and “Just One of Those Things”), several semi-standards and a couple of fairly unknown songs (which will no longer be unknown when PSClassics releases their CD of it that is currently in the works).  As usual at Musicals Tonight the cast was better at singing than acting (though the difference was not as great in this cast) but unlike their usual shows the chorus all had charm and stage presence as opposed to the singing sticks they have often had.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 09:17:23 AM by William E. Lurie »
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jay

« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2004, 09:24:13 AM »

In the evening, I attended a concert by the Pasadena Symphony consisting entirely of music by Mr. Richard Strauss.

The concert began with a perfectly acceptable performance of Don Juan.

The Four Last Songs followed, sung by soprano Miss Jane Eaglen.  The accoustics of the Pasadena Civic Auditorium are very unkind to vocal soloists, and last night was no exception.  I know Miss Eaglen must have a large voice for her to have the success she has had in the roles she has sung in the world's great opera houses.  One would never have known that last night.  Maestro Jorge Mester kept the orchestra waaay down to provide some semblance of balance between it and the singer.  Complicating matters was the question of Miss Eaglen's suitedness to this music.  The songs really require a singer with a far more focused tone and greater breath control than Miss Eaglen was able to offer last night.

The second half began with the Serenade in E-Flat Major, which is for a smallish ensemble of wind instruments.  Written when Strauss was seventeen years of age, the piece sounds precisely like what one might expect a student's composition to sound like.

The concert concluded with the final scene from Salome.  This music is much more suited to Miss Eaglen's voice than The Four Last Songs, and her performance was much stronger than in the first half.  Mr. Mester did not hold back, and the performance of this haunting scene, generally speaking, succeeded.  Although Miss Eaglen is one of the most popular and successful dramatic sopranos of our day, I cannot keep myself from comparing her to several singers who have preceded her in the dramatic soprano repertory.  With no disrespect to Miss Eaglen, her performance last night left me yearning for the singing of people like Miss Birgit Nilsson and Miss Leonie Rysanek, whose interpretations of this music from Salome were far more effortless, credible and transcendant.

td

• td
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2004, 09:24:16 AM »

So, DRs, do you each have a Newman for a neighbor?

Yes, a widow, who has planted SHRUBBERY on our property, has a retaining wall which goes 6 FEET onto our property, and yet, if Minx steps on step onto what she calls her yard, she'll come out and yell!  Other times, she'll call Minx onto her front porch and pat her for a long while.
Bi-polar?  I don't know, she can just be a bee-atch at times . . .and I only let Minx onto the property that contains the shrubbery and the wall. . .

Hello, gang!  it's Sunday afternoon!

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2004, 09:26:38 AM »

Nice new avatar, Noel!   ;)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2004, 09:36:36 AM »

DRWEL, I suspect that JUBILEE is being performed directly out of the vocal score I created with Tommy Krasker in 1985.  It's now available for rental, along with the orchestration. from Tams-Witmark.

And you're right, it's the campest, most blatantly gay show from the 30s and 40s, but it had Moss Hart, Monty Wooley, and Cole Porter all working on the production.  You don't think?

Sandy Duncan went from the A list to the Z list on that Carnegie Hall GMHC production.  Her nadir was in "Just One of Those Things": "so goodbye, dear, and good luck; here's hoping we meet and we -"  She scored no points with the Cole Porter Trust.  I was happier with the London 1999 performances in concert and the subsequent Christmas BBC Radio-3 broadcast.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 09:41:15 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2004, 09:38:39 AM »

Hello, gang!  it's Sunday afternoon!

DRtd, I've missed you!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2004, 09:41:38 AM »

WEL: The pipe is never lit.

Brooklyn: I know several people who saw it, both in Denver and here, who think it's appallingly bad.  Furthermore, it's producers (in part) are the same producers who strung me along on both Meltz and Ernest and Nudie, so, like elmore, they will never see a dime of my money nor would I see the show for free.  They have also been totally shameless in sending their shills all over the Internet to post ad nauseum, both negative and positive things (theory being all mentions are good for the show - they said this to someone and it was reported).  Interestingly, they have kept their own names out of the press materials and poster because their reps are not so hot and they haven't had a hit in many a year.

td

• td
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2004, 09:52:04 AM »

DRtd, I've missed you!

DRelmore3003, I'm right here, but busy as a Canadian Beaver!  What's with all those beavers on the coinage there? ? ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up