Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: PITHY REMARDS  (Read 15688 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:PITHY REMARDS
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2004, 09:55:20 AM »

DRelmore3003, I'm right here, but busy as a Canadian Beaver!  What's with all those beavers on the coinage there? ? ?

Sexual imagery on a coin?  It's one dam thing after another!

I'm off to market.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2004, 09:56:19 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]

Page 2 Dance!!!!

[/move]
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

td

• td
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2004, 09:59:29 AM »

Dam those beavers!  Dam those coins!  Dam them all to hell!  ;D
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2004, 09:59:43 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]

Page 2 Dance!!!!

[/move]

Dancing AFTER dinner!

(Oh.  A The King and I reference.)
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2004, 10:00:51 AM »

Beavers?!?!  I thought they were loons.  I need to spend more time out in nature.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2004, 10:03:36 AM »

On the contrary, your Majesty, never has si great an impression been made in so short a time!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 10:04:37 AM by JRand54 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2004, 10:05:12 AM »

DRWEL sent me a sample CD of BROOKLYN....I listened and then put it away.

td

• td
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2004, 10:07:30 AM »

I'm listening to Cissy Houston singing gospel. . . .

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2004, 10:22:54 AM »

Just taking a short break from my Hamlet paper. Page one of six. My mom got me a twelve-pack of Cherry Coke, which works out to two Cherry Cokes per page. That sounds about right.

I'll check in again when I'm on page two. And Cherry Coke number four.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 10:28:51 AM by Sandra »
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2004, 10:27:19 AM »

I went out to Peet's for breakfast of a coffee and multi-grain scone. I am now back, but will soon go out again for more errands. Contain your excitement, please.
Yesterday I bought some furniture. I have no room for furniture - therefore I must move FOR SURE.
Why did I buy furniture? Well, I was cruising around the hood to see if there were any interesting places for rent, when I came across a garage sale. The folks holding this sale were rich folks who had simply tired of some things. One of the things was a glass side table - round opaque top, single black leg - gorgeous - art-deco and modern at the same time. Looked new - would cost at least $250. (probably more) at an upscale furniture establishment.  And it matches the rest of my furniture perfectly. The price - $8. Could I leave it for eight dollars?! Plus, they had a stunning matching table lamp (halogen) for another $8.
I also bought two handpainted chairs which are very whimsical and I might not keep - but couldn't resist. These retail for $198. each. The reason I know this is the woman selling them used to own a store where she made and sold these chairs and she still had these two left. I also bought 4 toy robots for $5. I like toy robots.
So now I have a side table, a lamp, two chairs and 4 robots which need a home.

td

• td
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2004, 10:32:46 AM »

I would like to go shopping with Panni!  Also, I wish she would share her multi-grain scones. . .I had to settle for a chewy granola bar this morning; but, I've got a turkey breast on the rotisserie, potatoes waiting to become mashed, some cranberrie sauce and stuffing in the wings, so to speak, for dinner tonight.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2004, 10:34:47 AM »

I went out to Peet's for breakfast of a coffee and multi-grain scone. I am now back, but will soon go out again for more errands. Contain your excitement, please.

I love doing Peet's for coffee and scones...but I've found they have much tastier ones than multi-grain.

I admire your commitment to healthful living, DR Panni, but once in a while...

...you could eat a cookie.

:D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 10:35:35 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

td

• td
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2004, 10:36:02 AM »

Wonder what Panni (or I, or even MBarnum) could buy with one of these? ? ? ?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2004, 11:00:58 AM »

Wonder what Panni (or I, or even MBarnum) could buy with one of these? ? ? ?

Panni: a muffin or a toy robot
MBarnum:  a Bollywood movie or an aging sword and sandal star
You:  I wouldn't hazard a guess.  Dam!

td

• td
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2004, 11:09:20 AM »

ROFLMAO!

Well, I know that the Canadian coin would not buy me a luscious dinner at Joe Allen or even DuPar. . .

DRs one and all, what do you think of the film LATTER DAYS?  (It's the one with the Mormons. . .and Mary Kay Place).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2004, 11:21:07 AM »

Lovely buys DRPANNI - i love rich people's garage sales!

DR td I have read reviews of LATTER DAYS but have not seen it as yet.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2004, 11:31:01 AM »

DRs one and all, what do you think of the film LATTER DAYS?  (It's the one with the Mormons. . .and Mary Kay Place).

DRtd, I saw it when it first opened here, I liked it very much, and I thought Mary Kay Place was quite excellent.  Jacqueline Bisset looks fantastic, and if she's had work done, it's so subtle and she's still so beautiful that I wish her surgeon would do every aging actor and actress in Hollywood.  Some of the facelifts are terrifying!

td

• td
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2004, 11:43:20 AM »

Since I rented LATTER DAYS from Netfilx, it has rarely been out of my dvd player. . .
This week, I picked up a used copy for $10 (200 beavered nickels, if I were Canadian), and it too has rarely left the player.
To think this came from the same man who directed SWEET HOME ALABAMA!

I also finally saw SORDID LIVES, and it's a hoot and a holler!

Still, LATTER DAYS contains some very fine dialogue and a few really impressive performances, most importantly Bisset's and Place's.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2004, 12:13:37 PM »

Well, the new critter seems to be adjusitng quite well and he and the cat are tentatively forging their relationship.  Surprisingly, the cat, Mosby - The Grey Ghost, seems fairly mellow and rather curious about the new interloper.  I think Mose has been rather lonely without a dog.  And this one seems small enough that Mose wants to make friends.  The dog seems the more skittish of the two, but, after a little tense wariness in the beginning, he does seem to be making tail-wagging overtures. However, his big bark makes the cat back off just when they begin to rendezvous.  But there has been much surreptitious sniffing and circling and staring at each other from close proximity.  No one has freaked out and cat's seems more than game to make this work.  Any advice that anyone has finessing this sort of relationship would be greatly appreciated.  Even so, I think this will be a non-issue in a few more days.

The dog seems to be some sort of terrier mix...Yorkshire or Silky with perhaps Shiz Tsu throw in.  Very Yorkie/Silky face and hair and colouring with a long and bushy tail.  Even-tempered, but spunky.  He slept in the bed last night, crawling out of the play-pen he was in onto the bed.  He likes to follow one or the other of us around and is a tad clingy, but I supposed that's just him still trying to figure out his boundaries.  We're being very good about making sure the cat gets doted on, equally, if not more so.  It also looks like the li'l chap'll catch on real quick to the automatic dog door.  He's housebroken and lets you know when he needs to go out.  He is an enthusiastic walker.  

From a batch of names we had, we narrowed it down to Bovril and Tewkesbury, and tried them out on several interested parties.  Tewkesbury was clearly favoured and that seems what it'll be...Tewkes or Tewk, for short.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2004, 01:13:49 PM »

DR Elmore - Will the PSClassics recording of JUBILEE also be based on the work you did and using your orchestrations?  Has any casting been done?

I have read nothing positive about BROOKLYN, but they sure must have a giant advertising budget.  You can't avoid the posters with the unattractive logo.  But they are not going for the usual Broadway audience.  They are going for rock music fans, not realizing that this group isn't interested in seeing musicals.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2004, 01:35:32 PM »

DR Elmore - Will the PSClassics recording of JUBILEE also be based on the work you did and using your orchestrations?  Has any casting been done?

DRWEL, the recording is very early in the works, and the money has to be raised to pay for it.  I have casting ideas, and I'm sure the conductor and the producer do as well, but nothing is set.  Since Tommy Krasker is the co-owner of PS Classics and he, like me, has blood in JUBILEE, this will be the edition for the recording.

In 1985, when Tommy and I put the show together for Bill Tynes, he and I closely worked on the vocal score to fit the underscoring to his libretto, which corrected all the loose ends in the surviving Broadway script from a few earlier drafts, as I recall.  Since nothing original survives except for the pre-production manuscripts of a ton of music, we put everything back, even though we knew cuts had to have been made in rehearsals:  for instance, the "Kling Kling Bird" is shorter in its published version than the ms.  Porter wrote a ton of music, not just the songs, but a lot of underscoring, all the court ceremonial music, and the Act One Judgment of Paris ballet and an Act Two Beach Dance.  I had to write the dances to "Municipal Park," "Picture of Me Without You," "Begin the Beguine," "Me and Marie," and "Just One of Those Things."  Putting the show back together was one of my best experiences in collaboration, and I hope Mr Porter would be proud.  That's why Mordden's misinformation in his new book pisses me off, since he was around when all this recreation took place and I gave him a photocopy of the score in 1986.
I didn't recreate Russell Bennett; I had nothing from which to recreate anything, and I created my own orchestration based on what I know about period music and Porter's influences and likes:  Elgar for the court, Ravel for the ballets, a little Gilbert and Sullivan (esp. THE GONDOLIERS), and a lot of 1930s dance bands.

Sorry for the rant!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2004, 01:41:42 PM »

Had a DVD ready to play this afternoon and instead saw that MONA LISA SMILE (which I hadn't seen in the theater) was on STARZ! so I watched that instead. Mildly diverting, very predictable dramedy. Not a waste of an afternoon but I think something else might have been a better choice. Anyway, now I've seen it, I can move on.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2004, 01:45:33 PM »

I have read nothing positive about BROOKLYN, but they sure must have a giant advertising budget.  You can't avoid the posters with the unattractive logo.  But they are not going for the usual Broadway audience.  They are going for rock music fans, not realizing that this group isn't interested in seeing musicals.

The VARIETY article seemed to suggest they're after the RENT audience which has certainly kept that show going for quite a long time.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2004, 01:46:44 PM »

DRWEL, I will tell you who I had in mind in 1986:

The Queen:  Maggie Smith, Eileen Brennan, Carol Burnett (Paula Lawrence)
The King:  Ellis Rabb, Phillip Bosco (Robert Fitch)
The Prince:  Jimmy Brennan (Reed Jones)
The Princess:  Rebecca Luker (Rebecca Luker)
Mowgli:  Greg Louganis (Davis Gaines)
Eva Standing:  Kaye Ballard (Carole Shelley)
Karen O'Kane:  Pamela Sousa, Karen Ziemba (Alyson Reed)
Eric Dare:  Ron Raines, Howard McGillan (Patrick Quinn)
Those in parentheses did the roles in March 1986.

For 1998, Carnegie Hall, Herb Ross ignored every suggestion I made, except one, which was this cast:
The Queen:  Carole Shelley, Carole Burnett, Maggie Smith (Bea Arthur)
The King:  Simon Jones, Phillip Bosco (Michael Jeeter)
The Prince:  David Elder, Damien Woetzel (Damian Woetzel)
The Princess:  Rebecca Luker, Patty Cohenour (Alice Ripley)
Mowgli:  Brendan Fraser (Bob Paris)
Eva Standing:  Kaye Ballard (Tyne Daly)
Karen O'Kane:  Karen Ziemba, Kristin Chenoweth (Sandy Duncan)
Eric Dare:  Howard McGillin, Victor Garber (Stephen Spinella)
Those in parentheses again did the Carnegie Hall event.  After having to rescore the Beguine for Sandy and Swimming for Bea, I think Tyne was a real surprise, but poor Bob Paris and Stephen Spinella were totally miscast.

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2004, 01:47:23 PM »

I haven't seen LATTER DAYS either, but I want to. Just haven't found a used copy of it yet. I'll eventually see it. I, too, thought SORDID LIVES was a lot of fun.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2004, 01:50:00 PM »

Found out today that I have been cast as Father Virgil in NUNCRACKERS. Rehearsals start as soon as SOMETHING'S AFOOT closes. I will be exhausted by the end of this show, but right now I am a very happy person.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2004, 01:54:18 PM »

Thanks DR ELMORE for the casting info on the earlier productions.  Any of them would be good for the recording.  What I find most interesting about the score is that some of it is so Cole Porterish that you could tell even if you didn't know, while other songs (especially "Me and Marie" are so un-Porteris that you would swear they took something by other composers and stuck it in.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2004, 02:06:50 PM »

Saw a nice condo that belonged to some kind of composer lady who got married. All the room I would need - very well maintained. But it's right on Coldwater - and I can't stand constant noise.
Oh well. The perfect one is out there somewhere.
Now I'm off to have coffee with a Hungarian photographer (a professional) who will show me how to use my digital camera. Soon marvelous pictures will start appearing. Mark my words!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2004, 02:21:32 PM »

I am now on page two of my paper and Cherry Coke number two. (I'm behind schedule, Cherry Coke-wise).

Here's a question: Why is it that teachers all assign papers all about the same time? And why is it that that usually coincides with midterm exams? If these things were more evenly distributed throughout the semester, I might actually be able to concentrate on each individual test and paper instead of B.S.ing and not learning anything.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jennifer

« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2004, 02:24:56 PM »

DRJennifer, a friend of mine saw it this week and said it was dreadful, but the cast was quite talented.  Then, again, he said the same of MAMA MIA! and it's still running.  I am avoiding the show because of some of its personnel, who will never get a dime from me.

Hmmm, well I loved MAMMA MIA. :)

I just asked if anyone here had seen it because it sounds very interesting to me.  And at least I know you guys are real people!

Maybe tomorrow I'll check out ATC and see if anyone's name I recognize has seen it.

Thanks.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up