Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: PITHY REMARDS  (Read 15651 times)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
Re:PITHY REMARDS
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2004, 02:25:30 PM »

Stephen Spinella played the leading role in my musical, The Heavenly Theatre, and, oddly, his character doesn't sing a note.  It's about a 16th Century mayor, who, while quashing a tax rebellion, puts a traveling troupe of Commedia players to death.  As ghosts, they come back to haunt him by forcing him to watch their own Commedia account of what happened.  So, he gets sung at, but doesn't sing himself - his character HATES singing!
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2004, 02:29:47 PM »

Here's a question: Why is it that teachers all assign papers all about the same time? And why is it that that usually coincides with midterm exams?

I haven't been a professor very long and can only answer for myself, DR Sandra.  Friday, I held a mock audition.  And, while not a midterm, it meant the same pressure (prepare a ballad and an up-tempo) would be on ever student.

I did this because I'd been talking about auditions for weeks, and it now seemed time for all of us to look at each other's auditions, with the hope that their "mistakes" could be turned into lessons of what not to do at auditions.  Of course, there were also good examples of what you SHOULD do at auditions.  It was somewhat of a turning point in the class, giving me some needed guidance as to what to teach them in the weeks to come.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2004, 02:36:15 PM »

Back from Grant's, and both hardcover and softcover covers are designed and look great.  Unlike the Kritzer books, there is a photo of me on the back cover.  I never had the time, what with What If and all the house craziness, to send the book out for blurbs, so it's just the photo on the back of the hardcover, and on the paperback, it's the synopsis, the about the author (much abbreviated for the softcover) and a smaller version of the photo.  I'm very happy with it - and we did end up with "A mystery" rather than "A novel".  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2004, 02:36:24 PM »

Thanks DR ELMORE for the casting info on the earlier productions.  Any of them would be good for the recording.  What I find most interesting about the score is that some of it is so Cole Porterish that you could tell even if you didn't know, while other songs (especially "Me and Marie" are so un-Porteris that you would swear they took something by other composers and stuck it in.

"Me & Marie" is just a Bowery Waltz, and Porter reached his zenith in that form with "Brush Up Your Shakespeare."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: October 10, 2004, 02:37:04 PM »

Grant will be coming over soon and we're going to Schwab's to sup as my way of saying thank you for all his hard and excellent work (he'll also be getting a nice gift).  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2004, 02:38:57 PM »

Grant will be coming over soon and we're going to Schwab's to sup as my way of saying thank you for all his hard and excellent work (he'll also be getting a nice gift).  

Dear Friend BK, you are a gentleman and a mensch!  When can I buy the mystery?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2004, 02:44:29 PM »

What I find most interesting about the score is that some of it is so Cole Porterish that you could tell even if you didn't know, while other songs (especially "Me and Marie" are so un-Porteris that you would swear they took something by other composers and stuck it in.

I agree.  Porter's clearly writing in a style he didn't often attempt (even if Brush Up Your Shakespeare is another Bowery waltz).  That reprise that's all on fast eighth notes is, well, unlike anything I've ever heard.  Not saying it's bad, not at all, just agreeing with DR WEL that it sounds unlike Porter.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2004, 02:59:09 PM »

I agree.  Porter's clearly writing in a style he didn't often attempt (even if Brush Up Your Shakespeare is another Bowery waltz).  That reprise that's all on fast eighth notes is, well, unlike anything I've ever heard.  Not saying it's bad, not at all, just agreeing with DR WEL that it sounds unlike Porter.

Well. "My Lu-lu" is a klinker, but I think "Bianca" is as well.  Porter had such a big success with ANYTHING GOES and NYMPH ERRANT, that I think he really was writing JUBILEE for his total amusement, and I think he stretched himself a lot in the composition:
  "Feathermore" and its recitative
  "The Entrance of Eric" into "The Kling-Kling Bird" is so elaborately laid out like a European operetta sequence
  "Mr and Mrs Smith" isn't just two refrains, there's that opening verse and the  patter section in between the refrains
  "Six Little wives" with its vocal obbligatos and cross rhythms in the bass
  I think his two ballet pieces, which are quite in debt to Ravel, are marvelous (is Mel doing the Greek Masque with its bitonality and/or the Beach Dance?)
  Some of the Court Music is quite beautiful, and I never think of Porter as anything but a songwriter.

I do think JUBILEE's failure sent him back to writing more standard songs and comedy numbers, but JUBILEE from Day One, with all the publicity about the world cruise and the writing of the show, was meant to be soigne, the epitome of 1930s Broadway chic, and chic often has a limited audience base.  ANYTHING GOES ain't chic.  

Jennifer

« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2004, 03:41:41 PM »

Congrats DR MattH.

OMG, I just watched the last episode of Nip/Tuck, which was on here on Friday.  OMG. OMG. OMG!  That was the craziest season finale ever.  I LOVED IT!

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2004, 03:43:42 PM »

Almost time for Desperate Housewives here (it's on at 7pm, and also at 9pm).

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2004, 03:46:14 PM »

I have a really stupid question.  Is all Trident gum sugarless?

The reason I ask is because I bought this new kind, something Very Berry.  But they stopped putting the sugarless part on the back like most gums do.

Jennifer

« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2004, 03:48:45 PM »

Ah, I found my own answers on the trident website.

http://www.tridentgum.com/faqs.html?content=5

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2004, 04:27:41 PM »

I've been a frenzy today.  Where is everyone?

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2004, 04:33:10 PM »

I have nothing to say today except that I had another board meeting to attend today. In about an hour I go to "Singing School."

I'm glad to be away from the house most of the day, because some person to remain nameless is complaining about midterms and papers and such.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Emily

« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2004, 04:46:21 PM »

I'm coming out of a post-Turkey coma to wish all fellow canucks a happy Thanksgiving tomorrow... or today (if you, like us, always celebrate on the Sunday instead of the "official" Thanksgiving Monday)

Turkey = bliss... :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #75 on: October 10, 2004, 05:17:52 PM »

Well, the new critter seems to be adjusitng quite well and he and the cat are tentatively forging their relationship.  Surprisingly, the cat, Mosby - The Grey Ghost, seems fairly mellow and rather curious about the new interloper.  I think Mose has been rather lonely without a dog.  And this one seems small enough that Mose wants to make friends.  The dog seems the more skittish of the two, but, after a little tense wariness in the beginning, he does seem to be making tail-wagging overtures. However, his big bark makes the cat back off just when they begin to rendezvous.  But there has been much surreptitious sniffing and circling and staring at each other from close proximity.  No one has freaked out and cat's seems more than game to make this work.  Any advice that anyone has finessing this sort of relationship would be greatly appreciated.  Even so, I think this will be a non-issue in a few more days. ...
As long as they aren't fighting, let them work out their relationship on their own time.

The only other problem would be jealousy, on the part of Mose.  After all, it is his territory and family that has been "invaded" by the newcomer.  The only way I know of around this is to give more attention than usual to Mose, to help him feel that he isn't forgotten.

Der Brucer and I were talking with one of the women in the Sussex Country Rescue operation earlier today.  She has one dog who will settle down within a few days after a new rescue is brought into the house.  However, for those few days, the dog's behavior gets a little destructive.  And this is a regular occurance, so it's predictable.  A little extra attention is the only thing that helps.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #76 on: October 10, 2004, 05:23:20 PM »

Woody, actually the advice you've given is pretty much what we've been following...lavishing a little more attention on the cat and letting the two figure out for themselves the dynamic of their relationship.  Other than some barking, which  is discouraged, there's been no fighting as of yet.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #77 on: October 10, 2004, 05:24:53 PM »

Stephen Spinella played the leading role in my musical, The Heavenly Theatre, and, oddly, his character doesn't sing a note.  It's about a 16th Century mayor, who, while quashing a tax rebellion, puts a traveling troupe of Commedia players to death.  As ghosts, they come back to haunt him by forcing him to watch their own Commedia account of what happened.  So, he gets sung at, but doesn't sing himself - his character HATES singing!
THIS makes you Mr. Light and Frothy Musical Comedy?  This makes you Mr. Right Wing?

It's all comparative, I guess.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #78 on: October 10, 2004, 05:29:50 PM »

DR CP: How old is Tewks?  Does he still have a lot of puppy in him?

Fletcher, who is just a year old, keeps trying to roughhouse with Zeus, who is seven.  This is the one conflict we have with our guest, because Zeus (understandably) isn't interested in puppy play.  And Fletcher, being deaf, doesn't hear the warning growls.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2004, 05:31:35 PM »

I must be off for a little, to get dinner going.  We've a couple of nice steaks to be grilled, and I've decided to make beer-battered onion rings, which should be a different side dish, along with fries.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2004, 05:38:02 PM »

I've lost count of what page I'm on, but it's time for a break anyway. I have two empty Cherry Coke cans and one half-empty Cherry Coke can, so I'm probably about halfway through page three.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2004, 05:55:09 PM »

Tewkesbury is a fine and noble name.  

Back from dinner - my pal Nick Redman accompanied us and his pal Julie Kirgo also dropped by.  Quite festive it was.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2004, 05:55:34 PM »

Might I just ask where in tarnation IS everyone?  You'd think it was a Sunday or something.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2004, 05:56:24 PM »

Countdown to 70,000 posts - less than five hundred postings to go.  Could happen this very week.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2004, 05:57:21 PM »

elmore, I'm hoping we will have the book website up in about two weeks time, and at that point I'll start taking orders.  If all goes according to Hoyle I should be able to have books by the first or second week of November.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #85 on: October 10, 2004, 06:22:21 PM »

Good evening all.  Just got back from a night in Eugene, OR with my mother in her new house.  It is simply beautiful.  We saw Rent last night.  I know many don't care for the show, but it has always been a guilty pleasure of mine, and it was nice to see it staged.  The cast was good overall, although several of the leads seemed to have major pitch problems...Roger in particular was driving my poor ears crazy.  But it was fun.  Now I'm back in my lovely little apartment after a long drive, showered, clean, and thinking about dinner...hmmm...what to have...

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #86 on: October 10, 2004, 06:31:14 PM »

Well, I may possibly know how to use my camera now. I've also discovered by going into the Apple Store that my Powerbook is too old to simply purchase a battery for it at that site of all sites. Computers now become dinosaurs after 4 or 5 years. Skammen.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2004, 06:33:59 PM »

François thanks for the very interesting Carvel’s link.

Elmore we left the Richard Rodgers Theater and walked about four blocks to our right.  I really don’t know where I was.  The ice cream was located in the back of a pizza place.  Oh, it was sooooo good and I brought home some chocolate crunchies.

CharlesPogue, the man behind the Carvel’s counter continued to talk on his cell phone while we were trying to order.  It was extremely distracting.  I couldn’t tell if he was talking to me or into the phone.

Noel, I don’t know recall the name of the deli.  I think it was Dan in Toronto who suggested the restaurant.  Possibly he can tell us.

Thank you JRand, Matt H and DRLaura whom I hope to meet one of these days when we visit friends in Pheonix.

JRand I’m so pleased you posted the beautiful postcard from Tomovoz.

SWW I went back through your previous posts to catch up on the story of Zeus.  Best of luck finding him a good home.  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2004, 06:41:04 PM »

Well if you want to try on clothes at Costco you have two choices.  You can either buy it and return it if it doesn't fit.  Or you can try it on there IN FRONT OF ALL THE OTHER CUSTOMERS.

Now for shirts/jackets ... it is no problem.  But they sell a lot of PANTS.  So I've taken to carrying a thin skirt in my purse.  So I just put on my skirt and am on my way.

That's not to say that this is still not slightly embarrassing.  But a lot of people are doing similar things.  So if one wants to buy these clothes, one must forget about being embarrassed. :)

LOL.  And I have embarrassed friends trying on tops in stores while wearing my Cuddl Dud after removing my outer layer.  For those of you who don’t know, a Cuddl Dud is a warm under layer.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2004, 06:42:15 PM »

bk - Congratulations on the final steps to completion of
                                 WRITER'S BLOCK!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up