Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: COLUMBUS DAY?  (Read 17575 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:COLUMBUS DAY?
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2004, 07:51:21 AM »

In regard to these Monday holidays, I don't really like them. They always screw up mail delivery. Magazines which normally get here on a certain day sometimes end up a week late after one of these Monday holidays.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2004, 07:52:02 AM »

BTW, I see by my calendar that it's Thanksgiving Day in Canada today. So are our Canadian HHWs having turkey, etc. for a meal today?

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2004, 08:19:13 AM »

Another nice winter libation, in lieu of a White Russian, is a Cowboy C***sucker - made with equal parts of Butterscotch Schnapps and Bailey's Irish Creme.

It may have "Cowboy" in its name, but that sounds like a totally girlie drink, if you ask me.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2004, 08:24:27 AM »

My favorite cocktail, especially on special occasions, is the Negroni:

1 part veddy, veddy, veddy good gin
1 part sweet (red) vermouth
1 part Campari
1 dash bitters

Shake all the ingredients vigorously in a cocktail shaker with plenty of cracked ice.  Strain into a chilled martini glass.

Although the traditional garnish is a spiral of orange, I prefer a twist of lemon.

Salud!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2004, 08:26:41 AM »

I have been falling down, sloppy drunk three times in my life, and I don't recommend it to anyone. Each time was a special occasion, and I made some bad decisions. The last time, my retirement party, will be the last time. It took me days to get over the hangover, and at my age, it's just stupid to do that.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2004, 08:32:48 AM »

As some of you may recall from last week's discussion, wine is something about which I would like to gain more knowledge.  (Lesson #1:  Do NOT mix white and red wine!)

Which brings me to my worst drunken experience:

One night during my college days, some friends and I decided to celebrate one of the guy's birthday by having a scotch and cigar party.  Well, the scotch went pretty quick, so we followed that up with bottles of red wine.  And then white wine when the red ran out.  The last thing I clearly remember was heading outside to relieve myself because the bathroom was occupied.  I have vague recollections after that, but nothing I can relate here (this being a family site and all.)  Suffice to say, I spent the following day suffering.  It didn't occur to me until years later that I probably had alchohol poisoning.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 08:34:19 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

William E. Lurie

« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2004, 08:36:48 AM »

I thought that Columbus wrote "Why-o why-o why-o... why did I ever leave Ohio?".  And Philip Roth wrote about him in GOODBYE COLUMBUS which Ali McGraw filmed.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2004, 08:46:32 AM »

No, no, no - you have it ALL mixed up, WEL. Columbus directed Home Alone which Macaulay Culkin filmed. It was a cute film, but I can't figure out why they'd close the banks and the Post Office for him.

Panni

« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2004, 08:47:46 AM »

My drink of choice is pretty boring - glass of nicely chilled dry white wine.

Panni

« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2004, 08:49:22 AM »

I just chatted with one of my elderly neighbors as we stood outside her house watching a new roof go up. She was telling me about the history of the neighborhood. According to her, Miss Universe of 1956 (or 1959) lives across the street.

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2004, 09:02:35 AM »

Happy Thanksgiving and Columbus Day!

Very sad about Christopher Reeve.

Jennifer

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2004, 09:04:17 AM »

Hmmm, I have never heard of a BLTA.  Sounds delicious!

Btw, this might sound really weird.  But I bought my first electronic toothbrush yesterday.  And I totally love it.  I can't believe it's taken me this long to get one.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2004, 09:05:22 AM »

Had a somewhat rocky night of sleep (this damn throat thing that comes and goes like a gazelle in a magic act), but I'm up and getting my bearings.  Once I have my bearings, whatever shall I do with them?  I have all these bearings in a big plastic bag.  Perhaps I'll throw them to the seven winds who, I hear tell, are a little low on bearings.

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2004, 09:06:33 AM »

No turkey for me today. :(

My aunt sometimes invites us over for Thanksgiving dinner, but alas not this year.

Jennifer

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2004, 09:09:24 AM »

I'm not a big drinker.  But I like fruity drinks. Like strawberry margaritas, or pina coladas.

Panni

« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2004, 09:18:39 AM »

RLP - I forgot to answer you yesterday re your slighting remarks about my darling Peet's multi-grain scones.... Hey, man, they're yummylicious! They have all sorts of good grainy stuff plus raisins to give them a slight touch of sweetness. I have nothing against cookies, but I do not care for sweets early in the day. So there.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2004, 09:29:54 AM »

...But before that - let's not forget that Columbus Day is, to say the least, controversial in some quarters.
Some picky people find it a tad offensive to honor a guy who opened the door to European colonization, the exploitation (and killing off) of native peoples and the slave trade. But hey, nobody's perfect.

I also wonder why we still celebrate that he actually was the first explorer to find America.

I loved the “Monty story”.

Feel better soon.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2004, 09:35:48 AM »

RLP - I forgot to answer you yesterday re your slighting remarks about my darling Peet's multi-grain scones.... Hey, man, they're yummylicious! They have all sorts of good grainy stuff plus raisins to give them a slight touch of sweetness. I have nothing against cookies, but I do not care for sweets early in the day. So there.

Harrumph.

I guess we could "share" that cookie, then....

(I had a Peet's latte this morning, and a cranberry/walnut scone....YUM).
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2004, 09:35:54 AM »

JRand do feel better soon.  I think I also have allergies which haven’t been bad.

Bruce when you meet Tewkesbury be sure to take a picture and post it.
I think there must be something in the air across the country, all these sore throats.  Feel better.

I am really feeling sad today.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2004, 09:37:55 AM »

I think it's too bad for US that Christopher Reeve did not realize his goal of walking on his own again.

He once made me believe a man can fly....and now I believe he is actually soaring.

So many wonderful souls have been taken from us...heaven is a lucky place today!

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2004, 09:59:08 AM »

While still in high school I told friends (a family of three) I could drink an entire, very tall, glass of whisky.  They didn’t believe me and I easily proved I could.  I think I had the same poisoning Dan (the Man) had.  It was very embarrassing since I slept at my friend’s house.  It didn’t help I had an infection from something I had stepped on at the beach that day.

It was eight years before I ever got drunk like that again.  It was at a good-bye party for friends returning to college.  There were only three couples at the party and the host made strawberry dakari’s.  They tasted like fruit drinks and I had no idea how potent they were until it was too late and I didn’t care.  We had a great time that evening dancing, laughing until I lost it in the bathroom.  It was then that I realized how lucky I was to have survived my first experience.  I have never had a dakari since then.

I don’t enjoy being out of control.  What I enjoy is the taste of a good drink.  I love an aged scotch, brandy, Harvey’s Bristol Cream Cherry, Crown Royal, and a good white wine.  To me hard liquor should not be watered down with ice.   Since I get high way too easily I usually stick to white wine.  Red wine gives me an instant headache which is fine with me since I dislike the stuff.  Currently my favorite while wine is Pinot Grigio or an early harvest Gewurztraminer.

Boy, after that I had better state I am not a lush.  ;D  I just love the stuff but don’t drink it very often.  I usually stick to water.

Jane

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2004, 10:01:08 AM »

RLP he also made me believe he could walk, inspite of the odds against him.  Your words make me feel a bit better, thinking of him soaring again.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2004, 10:42:47 AM »

So many wonderful souls have been taken from us...heaven is a lucky place today!

Does everyone know the Gower Champion meets St. Peter joke?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2004, 10:46:10 AM »

Had a somewhat rocky night of sleep (this damn throat thing that comes and goes like a gazelle in a magic act), but I'm up and getting my bearings.  Once I have my bearings, whatever shall I do with them?  I have all these bearings in a big plastic bag.  Perhaps I'll throw them to the seven winds who, I hear tell, are a little low on bearings.

Aren't you suppose to roll your bearings around in your pocket and accuse people of eating your strawberries?
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2004, 10:52:01 AM »

I just chatted with one of my elderly neighbors as we stood outside her house watching a new roof go up. She was telling me about the history of the neighborhood. According to her, Miss Universe of 1956 (or 1959) lives across the street.

Dr Panni, can you find out her name? Perhaps it is Ingrid Goude..who I  would LOVE to interview!!

MBarnum

« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2004, 10:56:40 AM »

Well, I guess Ingrid was Miss Universe 1957...Miss Universe 1956 was Miss America and Miss Universe 1959 was miss Japan.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2004, 11:02:36 AM »

Does everyone know the Gower Champion meets St. Peter joke?

No, but if it's anything like the David Mamet/panhandler joke, I'm all ears.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 11:04:00 AM by Stuart »

td

• td
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2004, 11:03:15 AM »

It may have "Cowboy" in its name, but that sounds like a totally girlie drink, if you ask me.

Now, Jay. . .the girlie drinks have umbrellas on them!

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2004, 11:06:41 AM »

First it's girlie-men; now it's girlie-drinks.

You people in California are awfully liberal in your usage of that prefix.....

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2004, 11:35:45 AM »

Like Jane, I don't really like being out of control and like Matt, I can go months without a drink (If I ever had an addiction, it would be for food probably: certainly not booze).  And not until the mid-nineties when I was over in Europe (during films, etc.), did I really get to understand the philosophy of food & drink tied to living.  The connviality of it all.  I sort of dabbled in acquiring a modest knowledge of wine (fostered by my best friend who runs the biggest liquor concern back in Lexington, Kentucky...before he got in the business, he was an absolute tea-totaler.  He's now something of a wine connisseur...[that can't be the right spelling...]).  Even so, I can go weeks sometime not drinking anything.  I never drink alone.  It is the connivality of drinking with others that I enjoy.  I am  a relatively easy drunk, so one or two drinks will give me a slight mellow buzz that lowers my reserve and, people say, makes me even more charming than I naturally am.    Though often these days I just bypass the slight high  altogether and get sleepy instead.  Age is a rotten thing.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2004, 11:38:11 AM by Charles Pogue »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up