Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: RECONSIDERING MY DICTUM  (Read 16737 times)

Sandra

• "Stupider."
Re:RECONSIDERING MY DICTUM
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2004, 12:08:09 PM »

In one of my classes today, the teacher was talking about What's-his-name Swinburne while all these pictures of Swinburne were being projected on a screen behind him. Swinburne looked just like Carrot Top. It was really hard not to laugh. And then my teacher said the word "interloper," which always makes me laugh (It's a long story) and I just couldn't hold it in any more. I got the giggles right there in the lecture hall.

Wasn't that a great story?
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

MBarnum

« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2004, 12:08:28 PM »

Jennifer if you click on the "news" button or whatever, you will find all the Yahoo! news headlines.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2004, 12:08:43 PM »

HELLO!  HELLO, ALL!  HELLO!  YO, HO!

(I'm internetting from the House of Mom, where there is no high speed connection, and I want to be sure y'all can hear me.)

Question for BK:  is there a TV variety special from years back that you would like to own on DVD?

Just yesterday , I received from Amazon the Merman/Martin Ford 50th Anniversary Duet DVD, along with the Bell Telephone Hour Cole Porter Tribute (also w/ Merman) that Ken Mandelbaum reviewed about a week ago at Broadway.com.  Looking forward to watching these later in the week.

But what I really want to see is a Mary Tyler Moore special from the 70s called Mary's Incredible Dream.  It was a musical romp though the Books of Genesis and Revelations, co-starring Ben Vereen, Doug Kershaw and The Manhattan Transfer.  It was such an odd piece but entirely entertaining.  I have a well worn audio recording somewhere.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2004, 12:16:56 PM »

Today may be the day I find my new home, DRs. Here is the front of one charming house I found. A treasure from the 1920's in North Hollywood. Totally fixed up -- as a project of love, not an investment -- with brand new everything. Including ALL the appliances. I'm just not certain about the area. I have one more to look at this afternoon which is right here in the City of Studio. It costs more than the charming house, but it's more house and is right where I want to be. BUT, I'd have to purchase fridge and washer/dryer. We shall see. Anyway, here's the front of the house from this morning...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 02:19:01 PM by bk »

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2004, 12:17:54 PM »

Question for BK:  is there a TV variety special from years back that you would like to own on DVD?

As we all answer some of these questions, I will do so:

The Bette Midler special from about '75 or so, on which Cher was a guest star, and during which they both wore (at one point) some Bob Mackie creations adorned with 45s bobby-pinned to their hair as hats.

Also that Anne Bancroft special.  Annie and the 7 Hoods?  or something like that....

And I think I would like to own the three "Night of a 100 Stars" specials.

Panni

« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2004, 12:21:28 PM »

Re Jose's question... When I was pregnant with DD, I became totally addicted not to pickles and ice cream, but to a hand-held Mario Bros. game in which they had to load their wheelbarrows with bricks and deliver them somewhere within a certain time-frame or all hell broke loose. I played it for HOURS on end. After DD made her appearance, I lost interest in the Brothers Mario and their fershluganah wheelbarrow.

Panni

« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2004, 12:23:11 PM »

Also that Anne Bancroft special.  Annie and the 7 Hoods?  or something like that....

Is that the one in which she did the hilarious "I Say Tomato...You Say Tomato" audition bit?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2004, 12:27:05 PM »

DRPanni, nice house!  Is it your first choice of the ones you've looked at?  I wish you many good vibes in landing it!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2004, 12:36:28 PM »

Ann please post a photo of your Sugar Gliders.  Did you see the ones of my son’s I posted after my trip to Portland?

SWW, if you don’t have one already a king size bed might help somewhat.  I have been all alone, well minus Keith, in a king bed and still ended up sleeping on the edge of the bed.  ;D

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2004, 12:44:04 PM »

Hmmmmmmmmmm.....my question for ASKBK day (with the exception of ROSEMARY'S BABY talked about last week) - which film for you was a perfect picturization of a book?  ....looked like you imagined it would....or was cast perfectly?

And of course....the opposite.....

Funny, the minute I read this question I immediately thought of two Meryl Streep movies.  I loved how The French Lieutenant's Woman was brought to the screen.  Though the modern day movie-making scenes were created for the adaption, they were a terrific replacement for the novel's narrative device.  On the other hand, I didn't care at all for Sophie's Choice.  Kevin Kline and Peter McNicol were miscast and the film's overall doom and gloom tone all but hit you over the head with the notion that this was going to end tragically.  It's a shame because, IMHO (internet lingo!), Styron's Sophie's Choice is one of the best novels of the 20th century and should have spawned a movie that was just as classic.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2004, 12:47:57 PM »

I just finished watching YOU WERE NEVER LOVELIER, and Rita Hayworth and Fred Astaire kissed several times in a few of the dances.

I thought he and Ginger had a thing about not kissing....and they did it only a couple of times in ALL their movies.

What was different about Rita?  Well, besides the obvious.
Maybe it was Fred's habit of eating entire heads of garlic raw.  Since Rita loved Italian food, she didn't have a problem with this habit, but Ginger was an ice cream soda fountain sort of gal.

;D 8) ::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2004, 12:50:14 PM »

The Bette Midler special from about '75 or so, on which Cher was a guest star, and during which they both wore (at one point) some Bob Mackie creations adorned with 45s bobby-pinned to their hair as hats.

Actually, it was Cher's special, her other guest being Elton John (and maybe someone else, too--a non-musical guest--I'm not sure).  It was sort of the pilot for her own Sonny-less show.  I liked it a lot, too--another show that I have on an audio cassette somewhere.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2004, 12:53:53 PM »

Today's helpful hint:

When reconsidering one's dictum, the use of two mirrors facilitates matters greatly.
I prefer using a Poloroid camera.  Or digital.  But don't keep the evidence.

I once had a spinal injury, lower back, and when I saw the x-ray I was better impressed than I thought I would be.

8)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2004, 12:53:54 PM »

Noel-nice write up to end your special day.   Noel Sapphire’s didn’t come up when I was searching for an Indian restaurant.  How was it?

Panni, the house looks charming.

Jane

« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2004, 12:59:07 PM »

I had a lovely morning.  My hiking group went to one of Echo’s favorite places, along a creek.  Then Keith & I gave her a nice shower after her breakfast.  None of us enjoyed that but now she is clean.  Since I was the one in the shower with her, I also needed a second shower.

Feeling very happy I turned on the computer, pleased to find my niece (my sister’s daughter) had written.  I was happy until I read it.  She and my nephew lost their half 19 year old half brother in a motorcycle accident Sunday.  I didn’t know him but my heart goes out to my nephew and niece and their father-and of course all of their family.

It helped sitting here reading all the posts.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #75 on: October 13, 2004, 01:01:51 PM »

mmmmmm.... pie...

I didn't have a cup of coffee this morning because I woke up late (oops!) and now I have what I think is a caffeine-withdrawal headache.

Thank God there are two Tim Hortons on campus...
Either they're both cute, or neither Tim Horton is a person...

:-\

Panni

« Reply #76 on: October 13, 2004, 01:04:04 PM »

Sorry about the sad news, Jane. Puts everything into perspective when you hear something like this.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #77 on: October 13, 2004, 01:04:13 PM »

We dined at El Portal, a middling Mexican jernt just down the street.
Nice to know the place hasn't changed.   :-\

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2004, 01:09:29 PM »

...But what I really want to see is a Mary Tyler Moore special from the 70s called Mary's Incredible Dream.  It was a musical romp though the Books of Genesis and Revelations, co-starring Ben Vereen, Doug Kershaw and The Manhattan Transfer.  It was such an odd piece but entirely entertaining.  I have a well worn audio recording somewhere.
And, as I recall, Walter Cronkite as God.

Appropriate casting, to be sure.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2004, 01:13:29 PM »

And I think I would like to own the three "Night of a 100 Stars" specials.

The Bette Midler special was called "Ol' Red Hair Is Back" (in a swipe at Old Blue Eyes Is Back when Frank Sinatra came back from retirement.) It won the Emmy that year as the Best Variety Special. I think this was Bette's first Emmy.

The Anne Bancroft special was called "Annie: The Women in the Life of a Man" and it also won the Best Variety Special for its year. I believe that was her first Emmy as well (and possibly only Emmy, not sure about that.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2004, 01:18:27 PM »

I have to respectfully disagree with you, DR Dan (the Man). I think SOPHIE'S CHOICE is a classic and, not having read the book, had no idea how it was going to end and was thus heartbroken and teary-eyed all over again even after the grueling concentration camp scenes.

I only knew going in that Sophie's choice was going to involve a tragedy, and I had no idea that she made several choices during the film, all of which were devastating.

Panni

« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2004, 01:18:50 PM »

DRPanni, nice house!  Is it your first choice of the ones you've looked at?  I wish you many good vibes in landing it!

Of the ones I've seen so far, it's my first choice. I can have it if I want it, I think. But in about an hour I'll be looking at one right here in the neighborhood (actually on the street where bk's house was). It looks lovely from the outside. It rents for more than I had wanted to spend, but sounds like exactly what I was looking for. And it's exactly where I want to be "location-wise." But I'd have to purchase some major appliances for this one, I believe -- so it's a big outlay of funds. In other words -  we shall see. I wish I were not doing this alone, it's a big decision.
They are not sure at this house I'm to see about renting to a pet, but said they are willing to meet the animal in question. (Their ad actually stated "No pets" -- but that didn't stop me. And as it turned out, they didn't totally mean it.) I'm hoping that if I want the place, Abie can charm them into submission. And I also have to pass credit-muster. I've put together an impressive portfolio of references - present landlord, former landlord, William Morris Agency, etc. - but if they're really fussy, who knows what they'll decide. I'm not exactly Donald Trump. (Although we have some similarities in our credit histories. Not in the positive sense, unfortunately.)
So the good vibes are much appreciated - please keep sending them my way today.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 01:21:47 PM by Panni »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2004, 01:22:05 PM »

I've a few Hoyle programs on the computer, along with that Minesweeper thing.  They make a nice change of pace.

Here's a question for everyone: Is there someone who used to be an important part of your life, who left without the two of you ever really saying goodbye.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2004, 01:30:57 PM »

What a crap morning I've been having.  I come down after breakfast and walking Tewkes to log on quickly to visit my sites on the computer (Haineshis way...always first!).  My homepage SBCYahoo does not come up.  Oddly enough this page does come up.  I go back to the homepage.   Still not up.  Neither are any other pages coming up.  Go back to this one.  It's now not coming up.  I try my laptop.  Same thing.  There is an internet connection but no pages can be displayed.  

So I call SBC tech support.  

This is a pain in the ass in itself.  Since I can't go online.  I can't find the number.  So I call SBC general information line in the phone book.  They lead me through a convuluted automated procedure of options, that finally leads me to the message, "we can't handle DSL problems from here, you have to call SBC DSL.  Of course, they give you no number for that.  So I called SBC again, just picked any option that would finally get me to a human voice...and politely explained the problem, "I hate to bother you, ma'am, with something that's not your bailiwick, but...".  A very nice lady not only gave me the number for SBC tech support for future reference, but also connected me directly.

I then spend the next twenty-thirty minutes with a woman who seemed knowledgeable and polite, but had a very heavy Hispanic accent which made it difficult to understand all the various numbers and letters she was asking me to type out.  I felt embarrassed and a bit of fool constantly asking her to repeat things.  She also asked me to start pulling plugs from the router,etc.  That made me very nervous regards what my computer guy had set up.  But by plugging the cord going from the DSL modem into my laptop instead of the router, we found out the trouble stemmed from my router...

...which, of course, she could not help me with...

So I ended my conversation with her, thanked her for her help...and checked my router connections.  All working.

Nothing left to do but to call my computer guy. I'm envisioning days without an internet connection and expense, which is why I had avoided calling him in the first place.  Foolish me.  Fortunately, we were able to fix it over the phone.  All he had me do was unplug the router for a few seconds, then plug it back in.  Everything worked like a charm once again.

My morning shot for a two minute fix.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2004, 01:31:55 PM »

I've a few Hoyle programs on the computer, along with that Minesweeper thing.  They make a nice change of pace.

Here's a question for everyone: Is there someone who used to be an important part of your life, who left without the two of you ever really saying goodbye.

DRSWW, it all depends on the how you mean it.  I had a very good friend, whose birthday was the day after mine, and we had a falling out Thanksgiving weekend 1986 or so.  He lived in my hometown and I always thought at some point we'd patch things up when I was back on a visit because we had so many friends in common.  He died of a heart attack, and now we never will.  It's true I had many years to fix the friendship, as did he, but I never thought death would get in the way.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2004, 01:47:50 PM »

No time this afternoon to watch a film, but I was able to watch last night's SCRUBS, an affecting half hour of the nature of losing one's parent and dealing with grief, all within the bounds of frantic comedy. Thoroughly enjoyed it and finished it with a smile on my face and a tear in my eye. Good job for a consistently entertaining show.

Jane

« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2004, 01:55:44 PM »

Panni thank you and good house vibes.

CharlesPogue reading your post I was concerned it would not have a happy ending, which to my relief it did. :D

SWW yes but if I was upset about it at the time the feeling hasn’t lingered.

I’m going to see if I can downsize my NY photos now and post them soon.

Jane

« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2004, 02:04:39 PM »

Dinner at Barrymore’s.  

I tried to choose the best of the three photos from dinner.  If you want I will post the other two.

Jane

« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2004, 02:08:16 PM »

I’m sorry the lovely view from elmore’s office didn’t come out.

Jane

« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2004, 02:25:16 PM »

Side view from the 2nd Avenue Deli.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 02:19:37 PM by bk »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up