Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: QUICK THURSDAY  (Read 20681 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:QUICK THURSDAY
« Reply #180 on: October 14, 2004, 10:26:32 PM »

POPCORN!

That's what we forgot on our weekly trek to der B's daughter's!

Every week, we head to Dover to load up on supplies, and then on over to see the daughter and clan, delivering whatever they asked us to pick up for them.

This week, we were also going to talk with the older grandlad, who is selling chocolate-covered pretzels and popcorn to raise money for his Cub Scout troop.  Only, somehow, the entire business about popcorn and pretzels got skipped in favor of reading a new book to the younger grandlad.

We'll have to correct for this omission next week, when we'll be spending extra time with them to help carve Halloween pumpkins.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #181 on: October 14, 2004, 10:27:20 PM »

I can't dance right now; I'm too busy thinking about popcorn.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #182 on: October 14, 2004, 10:32:15 PM »

Dog report:

Zeus is settling in.  I was worried about him yesterday because he seemed homesick, spending most of his time moping by the front door.  Today, however, he enjoyed playing with Marty, and his appetite was better.

Fletcher, meanwhile, is also learning how to play a little less roughly...at least, when he starts playing with any of the other dogs.  After a bit, he forgets, and the other dogs have to put him in his place.  But all gets forgiven and forgotten fairly soon.

Der B's son-in-law is not happy with the Rescue operation.  "I thought we agreed you'd have no more than five dogs," he groused tonight.  Der Brucer, of course, remembers making no such agreement.  (Good for him!)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #183 on: October 14, 2004, 10:40:25 PM »

Well, those who ask for advice and then don't take it get what they deserve.  How many bad sandwiches does one have to have at Jerry's to know better.  That is why I specifically said that the turkey is the one sandwich they don't screw up.  If you'd said you wanted a corned beef I would have said go to Art's.  Contrary people always get what's coming to them.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #184 on: October 14, 2004, 10:50:08 PM »

But, Woody, Dick Cheney himself has mentioned his daughter the lesbian.  Gwen Ifil, the moderator of the VP debate, mentioned it.  Everyone knows she's a lesbian.  It's no secret.  What's the big deal?   And when John Edwards mentioned it, Cheney thanked him for "the kind words" about his family.  I don't think Kerry's seque into it was as graceful as Edwards' was into it, but he didn't say anything negative about her lesbianism and I think he was trying to be complimentary.  It certainly didn't deserve Lynne Cheney's epithet that "this is not a good man".  Talk about trying to make poitical hay out of it.  I mean the worst you could say about Kerry's remarks was that he made an assumption about how she would answer the question of whether homosexuality is a choice or consequence of nature or an evolution of environment.  Maybe we should ask her to explain it to Bush who ducked all around his administration's and his party's policies of intolerance, bigotry and hate toward gays.  

But Lynne Cheney's overwrought reaction make no sense, especially given that this happened in the wake of the VP debate and the Edwards remarks on the same subject brought no such response.  

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #185 on: October 14, 2004, 11:25:27 PM »

Probably I shouldn't reveal this, with so many hungry Los Angeles readers - you'll probably all eat there every night and it will be too crowded to get in.

Gyu-Kaku (more than one location, including Restaurant Row on LaCienega and just west of the Westside Pavillion on Pico) marinates various meats and you cook them yourself in a little barbecue built in to your table.  It's part of a Japanese chain, incredibly successful over there, and, in Japan, it might be considered Korean food.  But it's so distinctly Japanese that, well, let's just say it's a mix of both cultures.

Don't look for me there.  When I go out to eat, it's because I don't want to cook!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #186 on: October 14, 2004, 11:34:02 PM »

Well, I did not take bk's advice to have a turkey sandwich at Jerry's. I eat turkey almost every day, so I opted for something different. Once every couple of years I have a great corned beef on rye. That's what I felt like tonight. I did NOT have it, DRs. The sandwich (which cost $12!) was HORRIBLE. I threw most of it away and gave a little to Abie. Then I made popcorn. (I also bought a chocolate muffin at Jerry's. That was pretty good.) So basically my supper was popcorn and a chocolate muffin -- and kosher dill pickles. The potato salad was terrible, too - down the sink.

I don't know why you people (OK, Dear BK and Dear Reader Panni) continue to patronize Jerry's Deli.  Each time you go we read yet another post about how horrible the food was.  With each new visit, do you think that somehow a miracle has occurred, and that their food will suddenly have become edible?  If there were no alternatives, I might understand, but with Art's just around the corner, I have to wonder.

Jay

« Reply #187 on: October 14, 2004, 11:36:38 PM »

Well, those who ask for advice and then don't take it get what they deserve.  How many bad sandwiches does one have to have at Jerry's to know better.  That is why I specifically said that the turkey is the one sandwich they don't screw up.  If you'd said you wanted a corned beef I would have said go to Art's.  Contrary people always get what's coming to them.

Sorry.  I wrote my last post before reading yours, Dear BK.  We're of the same mind when it comes to finding a proper corned beef sandwich in the City of Studio.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 11:38:30 PM by Jay »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #188 on: October 15, 2004, 12:01:10 AM »

But, Woody, Dick Cheney himself has mentioned his daughter the lesbian.  Gwen Ifil, the moderator of the VP debate, mentioned it.  Everyone knows she's a lesbian.  It's no secret.  What's the big deal?   And when John Edwards mentioned it, Cheney thanked him for "the kind words" about his family.
So far, so good.
I don't think Kerry's seque into it was as graceful as Edwards' was into it, but he didn't say anything negative about her lesbianism and I think he was trying to be complimentary.  It certainly didn't deserve Lynne Cheney's epithet that "this is not a good man".  Talk about trying to make poitical hay out of it.  I mean the worst you could say about Kerry's remarks was that he made an assumption about how she would answer the question of whether homosexuality is a choice or consequence of nature or an evolution of environment.  Maybe we should ask her to explain it to Bush who ducked all around his administration's and his party's policies of intolerance, bigotry and hate toward gays.
Here is where we have to differ.  The problem IS with Kerry's assumptions about how she would answer questions, things he has no way of knowing.  For all we know, Mary HAS discussed the policies with the President...IN PRIVATE.  

Please remember, I've been in the thick of this debate for several years.  Der Brucer and I have met and worked with several state representatives and congressmen during that time.  One thing we've learned during this period is to NEVER PRESUME, particularly when it comes to what gay people think and do, and most particularly in Washington DC.  (There are more closet cases there per capita than in Hollywood, and that's saying something.)  

But Lynne Cheney's overwrought reaction make no sense, especially given that this happened in the wake of the VP debate and the Edwards remarks on the same subject brought no such response.  
If the Kerry remarks weren't baiting for a response, then what of those of Edward's wife, saying that Lynne Cheney "must be ashamed of her daughter"?  More assumptions, and all to the negative.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #189 on: October 15, 2004, 12:04:30 AM »

If one wants a proper corned beef sandwich one must go to Langer's on Seventh and Alvarado.  The best in town.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up