News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: EEK  (Read 17536 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:EEK
« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2004, 02:25:23 PM »

I'm STILL thinking about food and am now leaving the home environment to do something about it.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2004, 02:28:18 PM »

Mbarnum, check out the last two arguments in favor of measure 37-LOL.  Someone slipped those in and got away with it.  ;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #92 on: October 18, 2004, 02:42:27 PM »

"Chandra?" snarled the Ogre. "This is MY country and it's called Carnivora!"

"Oh," said Rivka with a pouty moue!

"Oh!  Indeed!" grunted the Ogre as he set aside some prime rib and started cutting out a rump roast.

"You're gonna get that white dress all messy," the Ogre warned Rivka.  "Don't stand so close."
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 02:43:21 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2004, 02:59:14 PM »

I posted about Brooke Shield's raves earlier this morning.  I saw her last week on The View, and I was so impressed by her.  I had a feeling she would be very good in this role.  Although who knew she would get SUCH raves.

So what did they do for the horses in the productions you guys saw?  (Man OF La Mancha)  Here they just had two women stomping.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2004, 03:06:45 PM »

In the kingdom of Lower Volta, where this story takes place, having a messy dress was a most shameful thing.  It indicated you didn't know from table manners, for one thing.  For another, those viewing a dress, splattered with prime rib jus, were apt to suspect the wearer had somehow violated the vegetarian Kosher laws, which Mr. Lundie explained thusly:
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2004, 03:07:47 PM »

So what did they do for the horses in the productions you guys saw?  (Man OF La Mancha)  Here they just had two women stomping.

DRJennifer, have you ever seen the yearly THEATRE WORLD, currently edited by John Willett?  A lot of libraries have the series, Vol. 1 was published around 1945.  Check out the volume for 1965-1966 and 1966-1967 for photos from the originasl production.  There's also a new book on the making of the show by its author Dale Wasserman.  I see copies of the original souvenir program on eBay occasionally.

The horses were two male dancers wearing horses' heads, but right now I'm confusing them with the horse masks on EQUUS.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2004, 03:20:50 PM »

I am back and have eaten.  I drove down Ventura Blvd. and ended up at Taco Bell, and it was quite yummilicious and did the trick.

Jane

« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2004, 03:21:27 PM »

"Rivka, you must always travel with extra clothing in case you soil yourself or meet a messy ogre."

Further, Mr. Lundie provided Rivka with a Jewish curse appropriate for ogres and telephone solicitors.  So, with deep breath and wide eyes Rivka yelled to the ogre:

Jane

« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2004, 03:23:55 PM »

"Den ganzen Kopp sollen se haben voller Läüs und so e korz Ärmchen dass Se sich net kratze könne!"  

(Roughly translated this means:  "May your daughter's beauty be admired by everyone in the circus.")

The ogre was dumbfounded.  He immediately blurted out:

MBarnum

« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2004, 03:29:38 PM »

"May your dancing bells linger in my heart thereafter!"

It would see that Rivka, now named Sharmila, and the Ogre, now known as Ramesh, had become characters in a colorful Bollywood musical (circa 1965). Sharmila changed into a blue and green sari and the ogre sprang into song (with the voice of Kishore Kumar dubbed in)...the song went like this:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 03:30:07 PM by MBarnum »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: October 18, 2004, 03:33:13 PM »

"YOU'RE JEWISH?"

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: October 18, 2004, 03:35:11 PM »

There is an ASCAP event this Wednesday - my friend Adryan Russ is involved with it in some capacity or other (I think) and she asked me to post the info right here at haineshisway.com - so, here it is.  Sounds like a fun evening to me.

The Society of Composers & Lyricists
and ASCAP

present

An Evening of Cabaret

Wednesday, October 20, 2004
8:30 pm

Featuring Broadway stars
SUSAN EGAN  and JASON GRAAE
Accompanied by GERALD STERNBACH

Plus, celebrated New York songwriters
MARCY HEISLER & ZINA GOLDRICH

The Catalina Bar & Grill
6725 Sunset Blvd. (just east of Highland Ave.)
Hollywood, CA 90028

Show only:
$25/person plus 2-drink minimum

Dinner and the show:
$60/person ASCAP and SCL members
$75/person non-members

RESERVATIONS (show only):  (323) 466-2210
RESERVATIONS (dinner & show):  (818) 905 7906

Parking in the building, available for $6.00.
Entrance to the new, beautiful Catalina Bar & Grill
is via the parking garage.

Jane

« Reply #102 on: October 18, 2004, 03:38:03 PM »

Wow, there is a woman running for state treasure who says she is a candidate that serves and obeys the Lord Jesus Christ and with His help will strive to glorify His name as State Treasurer-Wow!  There were various checks, with good conscience she would not sign.

Emily

« Reply #103 on: October 18, 2004, 03:39:47 PM »

After filming a rousing all-dancing, all-singing round of "You're Jewish!", Sharmila and Ramesh decided to go out for dinner.

They sat down at a table and Sharmila ordered a spinach dish while Ramesh went for...
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jane

« Reply #104 on: October 18, 2004, 03:45:00 PM »

A nut burger.  Love had transformed him.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2004, 03:46:20 PM »

Everything vegetarian on the menu.  Ogres are huge and eat twice their weight a day.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #106 on: October 18, 2004, 03:48:13 PM »

I forgot to mention two other works of fantasy I love:

FINIAN'S RAINBOW:  bigotry, leprechauns and songs!
CHARMED:  callme a chick, I've become addicted to it for its humor, warmth, scares and sentimentality.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #107 on: October 18, 2004, 03:52:09 PM »

There is an ASCAP event this Wednesday - my friend Adryan Russ is involved with it in some capacity or other (I think) and she asked me to post the info right here at haineshisway.com - so, here it is.  Sounds like a fun evening to me.

The Society of Composers & Lyricists
and ASCAP

present

An Evening of Cabaret

Wednesday, October 20, 2004
8:30 pm

Featuring Broadway stars
SUSAN EGAN  and JASON GRAAE
Accompanied by GERALD STERNBACH

Plus, celebrated New York songwriters
MARCY HEISLER & ZINA GOLDRICH

The Catalina Bar & Grill
6725 Sunset Blvd. (just east of Highland Ave.)
Hollywood, CA 90028

Show only:
$25/person plus 2-drink minimum

Reasonable!

Dinner and the show:
$60/person ASCAP and SCL members
$75/person non-members

$35-$45 per person for a dinner?  Is that the norm?

That must mean that drinks (2-drink minimum) are at leat $10 apiece, yes?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 03:53:15 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: October 18, 2004, 03:54:03 PM »

However, the salad dressing stank.  The ogre and Rivkah were quite displeased about the house dressing.  "What can I do?" asked the innkeeper.  "It's all the fault of the witch on the hill.  She refuses to sell us any good spices."

"Well," said the ogre, "We'll have to pay her a visit."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #109 on: October 18, 2004, 03:55:03 PM »

CHARMED:  callme a chick, I've become addicted to it for its humor, warmth, scares and sentimentality.

More power to you, DR Elmoore!

That precious way of talking they have just drives me UP the wall!  I mean...come on!  Nobody talks like that, do they???!!!

:D

And every single episode is a crisis in which someone is trying to kill one of them, two of them, three of them or all of them.  It's non-stop.  I get anxiety attacks just thinking about watching the show...how could anyone "real" have lasted as long as those Halliwell girls have lasted?

I used to watch...truly, I did.  Hated Shannon Daugherty.  Glad to see her character die.  Real glad.

But oh....my....gosh.  Her replacement bores me to tears.   I find myself rooting for the demons to off those Halliwell ditzes before the whole world gets infected with that staccato/clipped syntax they all use when delivering
lines.

You're a far more tolerant soul than I!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 03:59:47 PM by RLP »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #110 on: October 18, 2004, 03:55:36 PM »

Not sure how it works - I'm sure it's some kind of fund-raiser for the Society.  However, since I am not a member of the Society I shall not be supping even though I may attend.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: October 18, 2004, 03:59:19 PM »

More power to you, DR Elmoore!

That precious way of talking they have just drives me UP the wall!  I mean...come on!  Nobody talks like that, do they???!!!

DR RLP, you remind me so much of several of the Charmed Ones!  It's always been my maxim, said Mrs Trapes, that one man's whimsy is another's poison.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #112 on: October 18, 2004, 04:01:12 PM »

What?  

Huh?

Say who?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #113 on: October 18, 2004, 04:01:19 PM »

It's all horse racing, you see.  For example, I do not find Eric Benet sexy, gorgeous, or even decent-looking.  Others do.  I find Filet o' Fishes to my liking.  Others don't.  You say potato and I say potato - you see?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: October 18, 2004, 04:04:14 PM »

Meanwhile, Chastity Rivka Reuben called on the Wizard of Chandra to help her with the ogre - for she felt the ogre had goodness in him and could be quite a swellegant person if only he'd stop gutting animals.  Yes, she could work her magic, but wasn't it more magical if the ogre would stop by himself?  Chastity gazed at the ogre and said, "You haven't told me your name yet."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #115 on: October 18, 2004, 04:04:22 PM »

It's all horse racing, you see.  For example, I do not find Eric Benet sexy, gorgeous, or even decent-looking.  Others do.  I find Filet o' Fishes to my liking.  Others don't.  You say potato and I say potato - you see?

I say potahto.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #116 on: October 18, 2004, 04:05:30 PM »

"It's Oscar," he said.  "I really hate this salad dressing.  Do you think we can reason with this witch up on the hill?"

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: October 18, 2004, 04:08:48 PM »

But Chastity didn't know from a witch on the hill, she only knew from the fool on the hill.  Still, she suggested that Oscar sounded like an award-winning name to her.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #118 on: October 18, 2004, 04:12:15 PM »

I am quite sated from my Taco Bell meal.  I haven't decided on a DVD for this evening (although I'm in the middle of Nick Ray's A Woman's Secret, which I watch every night on the bedroom TV before sleeping) - it might be a home-grown DVD I received today entitled Goyokin, a film of Hideo Gosha.  I saw it in the mid-eighties for the first time and really liked it a lot, so I'm curious to see the quality of the home-grown DVD (which is widescreen and subtitled) and I'm curious to see if I still like it as much.  Interestingly, this film was remade by Tom Laughlin as The Master Gunfighter (which IS available on DVD) - literally, a shot-for-shot remake.  Mr. Laughlin had a moviola on the set and just aped every single shot in Goyokin.  That's chutzpah.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: October 18, 2004, 04:15:03 PM »

I am quite sated from my Taco Bell meal.  I haven't decided on a DVD for this evening (although I'm in the middle of Nick Ray's A Woman's Secret, which I watch every night on the bedroom TV before sleeping) - it might be a home-grown DVD I received today entitled Goyokin, a film of Hideo Gosha.  I saw it in the mid-eighties for the first time and really liked it a lot, so I'm curious to see the quality of the home-grown DVD (which is widescreen and subtitled) and I'm curious to see if I still like it as much.  Interestingly, this film was remade by Tom Laughlin as The Master Gunfighter (which IS available on DVD) - literally, a shot-for-shot remake.  Mr. Laughlin had a moviola on the set and just aped every single shot in Goyokin.  That's chutzpah.

That goes beyond chutzpah.  Sounds like theft to me.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up