Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: MY BONNIE LIES OVER THE OCEAN  (Read 20321 times)

Sandra

• "Stupider."
Re:MY BONNIE LIES OVER THE OCEAN
« Reply #120 on: October 21, 2004, 06:35:43 PM »

Yes, I'm here. I think I rode the famed Crazy Bus home from school today. There was a new bus-driver-in-training who was singing Return to Me, but couldn't remember most of the words. The experienced driver who was riding with him was harmonizing, but also couldn't remember the words. Then we had a lady lugging around a few bags of muffin stumps (I thought that was only on TV!) and muttering to herself about who knows what.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 06:40:47 PM by Sandra »
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #121 on: October 21, 2004, 06:44:09 PM »

From today's NY Times.

Correction:

Because of an editing error ... an article about a memorial to Veronica Lake ... misidentifed the judge in a look-alike contest who dressed in pink ostrich feathers and eight-inch heels. The judge was a drag queen known as Esther Gin - not Laura Levine, an artist and antiques store owner.

I finally read the article that required the correction. The background on Veronica Lake is quite interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/17/nyregion/17lake.html?oref=login

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #122 on: October 21, 2004, 06:48:46 PM »

DiT is it possible for you to email me the article so I don't have to sign in?

Jane

« Reply #123 on: October 21, 2004, 06:51:48 PM »

Today I gave Bogie his fluids at home, fortunately while supervised by the vet tech.  RLP I forgot to close the drip before pulling out the syringe.  ;D Thank goodness I had the tech there to quickly correct my actions.  I decided to have her come one more time.

Sandra your bus ride sounds interesting.

RLP, speaking of knowing too much information… ;D  I’m going to be a wreck now while watching FARSCAPE.  I hope it is one the more recent annoying regulars.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 06:59:27 PM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #124 on: October 21, 2004, 07:02:57 PM »

Thank you DiT.  :D :D

Now I will go read it.

Jane

« Reply #125 on: October 21, 2004, 07:12:41 PM »

Interesting way of honoring someone.  ??? I do wonder if she was misdiagnosed as a child.  The article doesn’t mention what her child/children had to say.  I know she was pregnant during filming of SULLIVAN’S TRAVELS.  Anyone with more details on that?

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #126 on: October 21, 2004, 07:23:35 PM »

Caught up on the posts. It's been a LOOOOONG day and I is tried, dawg.
Started with going to the vet at 8:20 AM for Abie's booster shots. Then just as I got home an old friend from out of town phoned and said he had only an hour free before flying home and wanted to get together. (It was Marc Barasch, whose book you read, Jane.) So, I changed an appointment and did that. Then I went to my new pad and did the walk-through with the owner. I now have the key! Then I went for the appointment I had earlier. Then I took a bunch of stuff over to the new digs. Oh - and during all this I finished work I was doing (with a kooky co-writer) on a proposal for a show.
Have I mentioned I'm tired?

Jennifer

« Reply #127 on: October 21, 2004, 07:31:02 PM »

BK I think the author's house (is that the name of it) link you gave the other day had a spoiler about the victim as well.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #128 on: October 21, 2004, 07:37:10 PM »

You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jane

« Reply #129 on: October 21, 2004, 07:52:09 PM »

Panni I hope you had a nice visit.  An hour is better than nothing.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #130 on: October 21, 2004, 08:01:10 PM »

On almost the same subject:

DR Noel:  One of your main objections to sf and fantasy appears to be the set-up of the situation and the "rules".  Well, that problem really occurs in all literature.  It's called exposition.  It can be handled well, or it can be handled clumsily.  e.g. "As you well know, your second cousin, the hog-farm millionaire hasn't spoken to his sister since she married a transexual pilot and moved to Brazil."

In sf, some of this exposition is referred to as "techno-babble", a term that has escaped fandom and found its way into the scripts themselves on occasion.  But in the long run, it's no different from "you need fairy dust (pixie dust to the prudish) to fly."

The "rules," as I call them, are not exposition.  Exposition's necessary and fine.  The "rules" are the explanations of how the world of the sci-fi or fantasy novel works differently than the normal world that most other books are about.  These are only necessary in the sci-fi and fantasy genres.  They're the invention of the author, I won't need to know them to read some other book, and I tire of them ever-so-rapidly.  So, yes, clap your hands and Tinker Bell lives is an example.  "There were three Darling children" ain't.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #131 on: October 21, 2004, 08:26:19 PM »

I'm hopping mad. My local CBS affiliate didn't flip the switch that enabled those with high definitions sets to watch CSI and WITHOUT A TRACE in high definition. There is no number to call the engineer during the evening, so one is at their mercy at night. The next day, after you find someone who knows what you're talking about, they offer muted apologies, and then do the very same thing the next night. Tonight, I wrote to CBS to lodge a formal complaint.

The times are changin" and it's up to the local stations to be responsible about their networks' programming and offer it as it is capable of being broadcast.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2004, 08:34:59 PM »

Is this a bootleg, or is it legit?  Anyone know?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=307&item=4046217285&rd=1

DR RLP, this is a bootleg.  It was posted a month or so ago on one of the newsgroups.  This guy is just marketing it.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #133 on: October 21, 2004, 08:51:53 PM »

Jennifer: Nope, no spoilers of any kind in the Author House blurb (which I wrote) - just that a key member of the show is found dead.  However, I must reiterate - it becomes obvious within the first three chapters who the victim will be - it's no big secret.  The book was never meant to be that much of a who's gonna get it.  

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #134 on: October 21, 2004, 09:10:41 PM »

Well, I got home tonight and first watched last night's installment of Broadway The American Musical and then tonight's finale.  Last night's show was vastly preferable.  Once again, nothing really new or informative, but the invocation of the excitement of B'way during the 30s, 40s and 50s was there and I loved every minute of it.

Tonight's installment for the most part left me cold, which is strange since it's the period that I'm most familiar with.  There was a scanty amount of new film clips (the number of clips duplicated from the Broadway's Lost Treasures series was embarassing.)  I was emotionally moved only three times:  my heart went pitter-pat with excitement when A Chorus Line was covered, I felt depressed in the recollection of how AIDS decimated the creative community, and I wanted to vomit on the floor during the Michael Eisner/Lion King segment.  The final section on Wicked felt like a commercial.  And the wrap-up was very flat and just laid there like so much fish.  What a shame that this last part was nowhere mear as involving as the previous two.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #135 on: October 21, 2004, 09:15:27 PM »

Oh - and during all this I finished work I was doing (with a kooky co-writer) on a proposal for a show.

A kooky co-writer is a good start.  Now you need a wisecracking neighbor, a zany landlady and a irrascable but loveable producer to complete the set.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #136 on: October 21, 2004, 09:31:08 PM »

The "rules," as I call them, are not exposition.  Exposition's necessary and fine.  The "rules" are the explanations of how the world of the sci-fi or fantasy novel works differently than the normal world that most other books are about.  These are only necessary in the sci-fi and fantasy genres.  They're the invention of the author, I won't need to know them to read some other book, and I tire of them ever-so-rapidly.  So, yes, clap your hands and Tinker Bell lives is an example.  "There were three Darling children" ain't.
This being the case, then you should have loved the original Star Wars trilogy.  Other than the brief opening title update with each film on where we are in the story (which really doesn't give much in the way of explanations), there is NO explanation of any of the technology, or the politics.  Obi Wan's explanation of the Force is much as any guru explaining a pseudo-religion to a novitiate would give (and is countered by Han Solo's claim that he's still rather have a blaster by his side).

Or, did you assume that there would be all sorts of explanation, and skip the trilogy when you were a kid?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: October 21, 2004, 09:38:11 PM »

I just watched the most appalling waste of celluloid, one of the all-time mis-fires, about which I'll have much to say in tomorrow's notes.  For now, I must go in the Jacuzzi and cleanse myself from the travesty known as The Stepford Wives redux.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #138 on: October 21, 2004, 09:52:54 PM »

CAESAR

As usual, der Brucer gave me little time to go on line this afternoon after he was finished.  In fact, he wasn't done until early evening, the sun already having set, when he popped his head into my room and told me we had to hit the road.

It was time to take pictures again, of another dog needing a home.

Directions to the farm where Caesar was waiting were as clear as possible, I guess, given that the road wound around like a corkscrew defying us to keep track of which way north lay.  We were also faced with address numbers at war with each other.  This isn't the fault of the residents, really, because they had pretty much figured out how to number things out on their own.  Unfortunately, the county (or is it the state, I forget which) has insisted that 911 emergency numbers now be used, a five digit thingamabob that sometimes has odd numbers on one side of the road and even on the other, and sometimes has the numbers consecutively running on the same side of the road.

Add to this that we were trying to read the numbers in complete darkness, with the only light coming from our headlights, and I'm surprised we didn't get lost.  We did find the farmhouse, however, and the man with the dog came out to great us.

Caesar, a husky, was owned by a grandmotherly type on the next farm over.  She has since moved to Florida, leaving two dogs behind, a Rottweiler named Buster and Caesar.  Her son (not the farmer) is taking Buster with him to Florida, as well, because he thinks having a Rottweiler will look real macho on walks.  The son made it clear to the farmer about his real attitude about animals, however, when he told the farmer "Aw, just bury Caesar out in the fields when he dies."

Exactly why the farmer doesn't want to keep Caesar for himself wasn't made clear, but I could tell he cares for the dog.  My hunch is the farmer is just working the land, without having any property of his own, and cannot afford another mouth to feed; he may be moving soon himself, now that the crops are in.

Caesar turned out to be about four years old.  He was a little shy, with a slightly mangy coat.  Der B and I doubted he's had any shots since he was born, or a license.  Unfortunately, there was just the flash from der Brucer's camera to light the pictures, and none of them came out well.  At least one return trip will be needed.  If we can, we want to see how Caesar handles being on a leash, and then take him to a vet for his shots.

Meanwhile, we've recieved no return call form the fellow who thought he might want to adopt Zeus.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: October 21, 2004, 10:49:31 PM »

WUSSBURGERS - we've got us a case of WUSSBURGERS.  The night is young.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #140 on: October 21, 2004, 11:33:36 PM »

I'm back from fencing. Boy, we had a wild and crazy time.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up