Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: BRIEFS  (Read 17597 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:BRIEFS
« Reply #120 on: October 23, 2004, 04:31:13 PM »

SWW- ;D

Congrats to our Dieu Deux!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: October 23, 2004, 04:31:29 PM »

I had the name of the band wrong - it's The Neon Philharmonic - so no one has ever heard of them?

Jane

« Reply #122 on: October 23, 2004, 04:38:44 PM »

JRand the following link should answer your question-it goes to William.

http://www.brainyencyclopedia.com/encyclopedia/l/li/line_of_succession_to_the_british_throne.html

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #123 on: October 23, 2004, 04:51:42 PM »

I think this gets us to page Five, so in honor of DR Francois' reascention, I suggest

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]A TWO-STEP![/size][/move]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

François de Paris

« Reply #124 on: October 23, 2004, 04:57:47 PM »

Gee! Thanks for the cheers -- I'm blushing! -- but I don't feel different from when I was a mere God! DoG, spelled backwards/sdrawkcab spelled dogwards/sdrawgod.... oh, stop me!

François de Paris

« Reply #125 on: October 23, 2004, 04:59:30 PM »

One good thing: we don't have to wear briefs when Godx2!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #126 on: October 23, 2004, 05:03:31 PM »

I don't remember Neon Philharmonic, although I keep thinking I should.  Running through some of the audio samples over at Amazon, I distinctly remember hearing "Cowboy" before...but I can't place where, or by whom.  It's definately in the style of music I would have listened to at the time.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #127 on: October 23, 2004, 05:53:39 PM »

Uh, wait a sec, yes I DO remember where I heard that song.  It was on a compilation record put out by Warner Bros. at the time, tracks by various artists.  I have no idea how I got my hands on the record, or what happened to it.  It was strictly intended as a promo item.

Given the location of the Warner Bros. offices, and in a satire of the logo the band Chicago used on all of it's albums, WB used the exact same typeface and called the promo disk Burbank.

Jane

« Reply #128 on: October 23, 2004, 07:14:50 PM »

Danise-I'm just now receiving email.  Our satellite was down again.

Danise

« Reply #129 on: October 23, 2004, 07:26:00 PM »

Evening all!  In the spirit of the day, I shall be brief.  

Michael, so glad that you back among us.  I just wish the doctors had been able to help you out more.  I know how frustrating it is to have a problem with not answers.  

I picked up several DVD’s while I was out and about today.  Les Miserables (Liam Nelson version, I have never seen it), Van Helsing (which I have never seen), and an oldie but a goodie, Mysterious Island.  

Panni, you mean you really don’t want to have the “fun” of putting something together?  The joy of trying to put slot A into slot B when you know good and well it’s not going to fit?  The trying to figure out which nut/bolt the instructions are referring to because there is NOTHING to tell you which one to use where?  

I just love putting things like that together.  Have I mentioned I also have some wonderful [size=0]swamp[/size] land I’d like to tell you about  ;D .    

And that's all the news I have.  

Have a nice evening
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #130 on: October 23, 2004, 07:27:00 PM »

Just saw your post, Jane.  That's ok.  It happens to me at times as well.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #131 on: October 23, 2004, 07:35:04 PM »

Orchestra read -through was great, was down a trumpet, clarinet and flute... oh and bass (students had a major test) everything is good.  I'll need to re-orchestrate "Wick" because the orchestration pretty much stinks.  Long day, time for ice cream and carving pumpkins!

Jane

« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2004, 07:42:32 PM »

Good news Matthew.  Enjoy your ice cream and pupmkins.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #133 on: October 23, 2004, 08:00:08 PM »

Tonight is the last night that I need to house-sit!  I'll stay there tonight and be home (for good) tomorrow.  I'm not sure what time the home-owners will be back, and I need to give them their key, so I may stay there for a while.  

Today I have done nothing...other than shower, eat and tape my laserdisc of "Sarafina" to VHS for a friend.  However, in a very short time, I have to be a chaperon for a high school dance!  WHAT WAS I THINKING??  The daughter of a friend of mine helped organized this dance for her school and called a lot of parents.  The kids of these parents didn't want them to be there so Alexis (the daughter) has been having a hard time getting people to be chaperons.  I'll actually be going to my very first high school dance (I never went when I was in high school, 20 years ago).  I'll finally find out what I missed...maybe.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #134 on: October 23, 2004, 08:05:25 PM »

Have fun tonight George.  I think it was very nice of you to agree to this dance.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #135 on: October 23, 2004, 08:10:44 PM »

It's true...I'm a pushover. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #136 on: October 23, 2004, 08:12:06 PM »

My concert was good.  I happened to run into James Conlon in the street as he was making his way toward the concert hall and I congratulated him on his Silenced Voices effort.  I think he was pleased that I recognized him and genuinely appreciative of my comments.

The Ullman piece was interesting.  The first few movements were reminiscent of Bartok (not my favorite composer) here and Saint-Saens there, but the final movement was a noisy Mahlerian sort of thing that I enjoyed a great deal.  The Mahler symphony was very well done.  Mr. Conlon strove to bring out the individual orchestral colors--in a piece filled with them and played in a concert hall very conducive to such an approach--and succeeded magnificently.

Unfortunately, I had very, very, very (that is three verys)  poor seatmates at the concert.  She wore bangle bracelets.  I am not sure how much shit one must have for brains to wear bangle bracelets to a symphony concert, but bangle bracelets she wore.  He kept snorting phlegm throughout the entire concert.  (Sorry, I had to listen to it, you get to read about it.)  He also spent the better part of the last movement of the Ullman symphony attempting to unwrap a cellophane-wrapped candy.  There ought to be a requirement that each patron must pass a basic concertgoer ettiquette (i.e., common sense) certification before being allowed in the auditorium.  

And, on a politically INcorrect note, a lot of people yammer about kids today (oh, a Bye Bye Birdie reference), but, if we're going to generalize, my observations indicate that the worst behavior in concert halls and theatres these days comes from the senior citizen set.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2004, 08:14:13 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #137 on: October 23, 2004, 08:21:53 PM »

The surprises continue to flow on LOST. In stead of watching the recorded standard defintion version from Wednesday night, ABC very thoughtfully repeated the episode tonight, and I was able to see it in high definition. This is such an enjoyable series anyway with unending surprises about these characters. Seeing it in high definition definitely gives it the feel of a feature film.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #138 on: October 23, 2004, 08:24:37 PM »

Also watched and enjoyed LATTER DAYS. I think in a few days, I will revisit it. There is enough about the film to make additional viewings necessary and, hopefully, rewarding.

Matt H.

« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2004, 08:30:20 PM »

And, on a politically INcorrect note, a lot of people yammer about kids today (oh, a Bye Bye Birdie reference), but, if we're going to generalize, my observations indicate that the worst behavior in concert halls and theatres these days comes from the senior citizen set.

I haven't seen a lot of the younger generation set at many of the concerts I've attended and definitely the audiences for the musicals I've been in in the last couple of years have not included young audiences at all. Maybe it's different in California.

But until you've chaparoned a middle school/junior high dance in this day and age, DR Jay, you don't know the meaning of the word "inappropriate." I can give you specific details if you need, but I think you know what I'm talking about. On the dance floor, they leave nothing to the imagination.

td

• td
« Reply #140 on: October 23, 2004, 08:53:37 PM »

Also watched and enjoyed LATTER DAYS. I think in a few days, I will revisit it. There is enough about the film to make additional viewings necessary and, hopefully, rewarding.

I'm sure you will.
I showed it to a friend from Cincinnatti last weekend, and she bought her own copy later this week.
I rented from Netflix, and had my personal copy before returning Netflix' copy.
I have watched it several times on my own, and still haven't listened to the commentary!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2004, 09:08:22 PM »

I've always wanted to read the novel "The Year The Yankees Lost the Pennant," which became DAMN YANKEES.

I read that, and all I remember is that there was a stripper named Sandra. Somehow, she didn't make it into the musical.

Today, I was supposed to write the proposal for a term paper. But somehow, I find that all I've done today was buy yogurt with my mom. I'll do it tomorrow.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #142 on: October 23, 2004, 10:01:25 PM »

Just got in a little while agp. Caught up on the posts - no posts for an hour. Skammen!

Panni

« Reply #143 on: October 23, 2004, 10:06:02 PM »

Speaking of weird lounge music, I do have a CD of Esquivel's space-age bachelor pad music.  

So do I! An ex-boyfriend who was heavily into lounge music (and Esperanto) burned me a copy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: October 23, 2004, 11:05:11 PM »

I'm back, and to prove it, I'm here.  Must write the notes now.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #145 on: October 23, 2004, 11:35:13 PM »

I've been busy posting at another site.

Well, it keeps me out of trouble.   ;)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: October 23, 2004, 11:41:41 PM »

Posting at another site???  How unseemly.  

Panni

« Reply #147 on: October 23, 2004, 11:52:10 PM »

I went furniture shopping. Now I'm confused. There's a lotta furniture out there. I was going to buy a bed for the guestroom. But it occurred to me that if anyone should have a new bed, it should be ME. My mattress is only a year old, but my bed is 20 years old! I could put it in the guestroom and get myself something spiffy. But first I have to measure the guestroom and see if my bed will fit nicely in there. As I said... confusing. Then I have to figure out if the bed I liked would look good in the bedroom. I also saw a sofa for the LR. But will it go with... You get the picture.

Panni

« Reply #148 on: October 23, 2004, 11:53:31 PM »

Bedtime for Panni. I'll read the notes when I wake up in the middle of the night.

Panni

« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2004, 11:54:09 PM »

Oh - I just looked at the clock. Might as well wait for the Notes.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up