Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE POMPOUS BASSOON  (Read 17057 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE POMPOUS BASSOON
« on: October 25, 2004, 11:59:42 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know all about brevity and soul and wit, not to mention pompous bassoons, and now it is time for you to post until the pompous cows come home.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 11:59:27 PM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE POMPOUS BASSOON
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 12:05:32 AM »

Happy birthday, DFR Jed!

Panni

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 12:10:02 AM »

Dear Reader's Dog Abie has been getting nervous watching me clearing out the home environment and sensing that not only are we about to move, but I'm about to go away. So yesterday he chewed up a very nice throw cushion that he had never touched before -- just to show me that he wasn't having any of it. I decided to comfort him rather than punish him (I did tell him it was NOT a good thing to do.) I found an old pillow case of Dear Daughter's and put it on the chewed up cushion. Here is a photo of the Wonderdog lying happily on said pillow.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 12:23:16 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Jed. Hurry back!!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 12:25:01 AM »

I know little of plays - obscure or otherwise. Really like "Hamp" but I have no idea if it performed often in the USA or anywhere these days.  It was filmed as "King And Country"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 12:38:04 AM »

And today's photograph! South of France - still in the Dordonge valley.
James Thurber 1957

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 02:39:56 AM »

Brevity is the soul of lingerie.

Two obscure plays that come to mind right away are one-acts:

Morning, by Israel Horovitz is about a black family who have taken a pill that has turned them white.  It's meant to be played by white actors donning "black" accents, which is further complicated by the family's need to don "white" accents when they encounter their murderous bigot neighbor.

After Magritte, by Tom Stoppard.  When I read this play, I didn't know who Magritte was.  It inspired me to find out.  I don't remember what it's about.  I only remember laughing hysterically throughout.

Musicals: Well, Encores is doing A Tree Grows In Brooklyn this year, and it's a wonderful choice.  It's the story of a shy girl who marries a heavy drinker.  The daughter they have and the shy girl's not-so-shy sister are major characters.  Amazing tunes - you'll recognize the first five notes of The Sound of Music; that's Richard Rodgers stealing from Arthur Schwartz - with perfect for the time and place lyrics by Dorothy Fields.

I love A Class Act and I'd even like to play the lead some day.  It's the true life story of Ed Kleban, the lyricist of A Chorus Line, and the score is made up of his largely unknown songs.  They've got lovely precision to them, and there's something exhilerating about hearing songs the writer so wanted you to hear.

When I had, briefly, the ear of one of the nabobs who choose Encores shows, I said "Please, before I die, Fanny" and, you know, it's not like I'm particularly near death.  Fanny has its overly exotic moments, but it's extremely romantic, putting modern tripe like Phantom to shame.  The cast includes Ezio Pinza and an unbelievably young Florence Henderson, who utters the sexiest bit of dialogue ever recorded on an original cast album.  I'd tell you what it is, but I'd be blushing, and you just have to hear young Florence do it.

If we're talking albums, than the books of the shows aren't hampering our enjoyment.  There's a show that left me scratching my head in the theatre, so weird and unstructured it was.  But, on record, A New Brain has many a glorious moment, including what has become the most popular show-tune love song of the past decade, "Sailing."  Mary Testa and Kristin Chenoweth have supporting roles.

Can a Rodgers and Hammerstein show count as obscure?  Sure, if it's Me and Juliet.  It also counts as radical.  The opening number doesn't have orchestral accompaniment, just a little jazz combo (Barbara Carroll's - I think she's still around) and the same is true for the second number.  While not fully avant garde, it manages to spoof avant garde theatre.  There are a couple of clunkers, but mostly it's bright songs that form a valentine to the theatre itself.  And the line "who cares if they lower the deficit as long as they cut my tax" never fails to astound me.

How many have I named?  I've lost count.  I was surprised that the PBS documentary failed to interview Strouse and Adams, who wrote many a fine show in their day.  The obscure masterpiece of these is Golden Boy, which starred Sammy Davis Jr.  I'm told there's something weird about the history of this album - Sammy went back and redid his vocals at some point.  If you can get the original, do.  It's still a Sammy-fest.  You have to believe him as a boxer, of all things, but you'll understand what made him so appealing.  The songs go from very sultry to peppy hard jazz, plus a couple of traditional musical comedy numbers and a gospel revival song (obligatory today, novel then).

Back to obscure plays:

Terrence McNally is very famous now, probably the American playwright with the highest quantity of plays being performed somewhere today.  One of his earliest full-lengths is Where Has Tommy Flowers Gone? which tells the tale of a wandering hippie with great emotion.

I've long been fascinated by the main character's dilemma in Poor Murderer: He's an actor who's very believable on stage, but when he's not playing a role, nobody believes him.  It's one of those cleverly-constructed things where the action parallels the play-within-the-play, which, in this case, is Hamlet.  It's by Pavel Kohout, a Czech.

"If Heaven exists" (to quote someone quoting someone else) I hope it's somewhat like Bruce Jay Friedman's Steambath, a very funny and philisophical depiction of God (who hands out towels) and life after death.  As you can tell, I'm attracted to the humorous and often-weird plays of the 1960s, but this one is grounded enough that it won't strike you as all that weird.  It's only heaven.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Danise

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 03:47:33 AM »

A very quick Good Morning!

Just wanted to say I hope all goes well with DR Elmore today!

Michael, I see you on the board and hope that you are doing better as well.

Thank you for the healing vibes for my Mom.  She is still hurting.

Gotta RUUUUUNNNNN  to catch the bus!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Michael

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004, 04:00:59 AM »

I have mentioned this musical before and I am not doing any A.K.(ing) here, but I do love the score from the LA musical Stages.  It was through this musical released on LP thatI discovered a certain actor/writer/director/composer/lyricist/future cd producer.

I still hope that one day it will be put on cd regardless that the master tapes are lost.

There is a Canadian musical adaptation of Shakespeare's A Midsummer's Night Dream called ON A SUMMER'S NIGHT. My friend Michael Whitehead had the role of one of the lovers in it. I have an audio tape of the show I rather enjoy listening to it.

Another Canadian musical was a version of Lysistrata. That had a lot of promise if the director had only allowed the composer/lyricist and the librettists make changes to the script during the rehersal period. The caveat is never hire a director who is sleeping with the star and making changes that cut her material and add to other characters.

It is unfortunate that the composer/lyricist/co-writer was soured on the show after the mediocre reception it received. But all the problems that were mentioned by the critics and theatergoers were exactly the problems were needed to be address during the rehersal period. The co-librettist went in and made the changes on the official script after the show closed and it did make the show better, but the composer by then as previously mentioned disowned it.

PS I was the co-librettist and I still believe it has promise.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2004, 04:02:16 AM »

Healing vibes to Danise's mom.

Woke this morning to a lot of pain. Not sure if I will make it into work today. Oh well life goes on.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2004, 04:08:00 AM »

Back to obscure plays:

I've long been fascinated by the main character's dilemma in Poor Murderer: He's an actor who's very believable on stage, but when he's not playing a role, nobody believes him.  It's one of those cleverly-constructed things where the action parallels the play-within-the-play, which, in this case, is Hamlet.  It's by Pavel Kohout, a Czech.

Which reminds me of two one act plays (Shown in one bill) by Stoppard Dogg's Hamlet and Cahoot's Macbeth. The latter is based on Pavel Kohout. It is about Czech acting troup that performs Macbeth in people's homes as they are not allowed to do it theaters. (A simplified version of the plot but really a lot more involved than that).

I think the theater piece that does all of Shakespeare plays in one evening was inspired by the finale of Dogg's Hamlet.
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2004, 04:20:22 AM »

If we're talking albums, than the books of the shows aren't hampering our enjoyment.  There's a show that left me scratching my head in the theatre, so weird and unstructured it was.  But, on record, A New Brain has many a glorious moment, including what has become the most popular show-tune love song of the past decade, "Sailing."  Mary Testa and Kristin Chenoweth have supporting roles.
For once we're in total agreement about scores, and definately about a song.  I first heard A New Brain while der Brucer was in the hospital a few years back, for meningitis.  "Sailing" helped me keep going through the worst two months of my life.  (Fortunately, der B doesn't remember a thing of that time.  Also fortunately, his brain came back.  But it was scary for quite a while.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2004, 04:25:01 AM »

"If Heaven exists" (to quote someone quoting someone else) I hope it's somewhat like Bruce Jay Friedman's Steambath, a very funny and philisophical depiction of God (who hands out towels) and life after death.  As you can tell, I'm attracted to the humorous and often-weird plays of the 1960s, but this one is grounded enough that it won't strike you as all that weird.  It's only heaven.
I remember the television production, with Bill Bixby in the lead.  Valerie Perine sure knew how to make a towel look good.  
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

beckon

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2004, 04:28:43 AM »

OBSCURE MUSICALS

HEADING EAST - A great show about the history of Asian-Americans in this country.  Strong story and a stronger score.  The recording is on DINK records.

THE NOTHING LIKE VAUDEVILLE SHOW - A show about a "freak" trying to find his place in life.  A bit odd, but quite good.  The score has some pop influence, but it is much more than pop-opera.

MOBY DICK - A musical in which an all girls school puts on its own version of Moby Dick.  A not very successful British show with a great score.

OH BROTHER - The Boys From Syracuse set in the middle east.  A fun show with some wonderful music.  Judy Kaye and David Carroll are on the recording.

OLYMPUS ON MY MIND - A musical dealing with greek gods and their sexual dalliances on earth.  Funny and tuneful.  Jason Graae is on the recording.

I know I have gone over 5, but may I add....

LOLA and THE GRASS HARP - Scores by the late Claibe Richardson.  The music is ravishing and the cream of the cream.
A bell is no bell til you ring it
A song is no song til you sing it
And love in your heart wasn't put there to stay
Love isn't love til you give it away

Oscar Hammerstein II

beckon

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2004, 04:31:53 AM »

I almost forgot.

TOGETHER AGAIN - A show written by and featuring the host of this site.  A recording I discovered back in the 1980s at the old Los Angeles Central Library, long before I heard of Mr. Guy Haines.
A bell is no bell til you ring it
A song is no song til you sing it
And love in your heart wasn't put there to stay
Love isn't love til you give it away

Oscar Hammerstein II

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2004, 04:54:39 AM »

I'm a great admirer of Lorraine Hansberry's second and last play, THE SIGN IN SIDNEY BRUSTEIN'S WINDOW. As with A RAISIN IN THE SUN, the author takes on moral issues but doesn't preach. There's a rich cast of characters, plenty of dramatic tension, and genuine humor. I've seen the play and have read it (Random House hardcover edition - $3.95). It stands up well, and I'd love to see it revived.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2004, 05:15:13 AM »

Lionel Bart's TWANG - a Robin Hood musical - was a huge flop (and Bart signed away the rights to OLIVER! to finance it), but it has a score that always makes me smile.

If we call Wright and Forrest's (and Peter Stone's) KEAN obscure, then that's another musical that gets my vote.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2004, 05:16:41 AM »

And a Very Happy Birthday to DR Jed (whose posts we miss).

Ben

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2004, 05:21:17 AM »

Happy Birthday to Missing-in-Action DR Jed!

Ben

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2004, 05:24:29 AM »

Happy and Healthy Healing Vibes to our most wonderful Larry Moore!!!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D   [/move]

Healing tildes all over the place.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 05:27:41 AM by Ben »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2004, 06:30:27 AM »

BK - I have not seen the Martin Charnin revue (I don't like to see shows in restaurants with a minimum where you have to buy drinks and/or food) but from what I read, it is mostly a collection of numbers from previous Martin Charnin revues including the funny, but overdone Yma Drream written for an Anne Bancroft TV special in the 70s.

Noel - ME AND JULIET was done at Mufti a couple of years ago and was for the most part an absolute delight with one line of dialogue stopping the show with laughter for at least two minutes.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2004, 07:41:32 AM »

Greetings all.....have been lurking a bit, as it has been busy at the office, and they decided late Friday to move the four performances of the Limon Dance company we have this week from our larger, more formal dance theatre to a smaller, more awkward dance performance space.  Not thrilled about this, especially since I was not consulted.

From yesterday's TOD:  Obscure films?  As many of you know, I am not much of a moviegoer, so my selections would have been (and I am not sure if they qualify in these days of DVD releases): "You Can't Stop the Music" (in which Valerie Perrine also makes a towel look good, as I recall!) and "The Best of Everything" which I once saw on a double-bill with VOTD.  Talk about two movies about three roommates trying to make it in NYC.  And a dress that threatens to eat Suzy Parker alive......

Todays TOD? Obscure Plays:  I once read a play that was the gayest thing in Restoration Drama (and it wasn't EDWARD II), but I can't recall the name of it off hand.  Also, Anne Meara's AFTER PLAY, which is about so many things not depicted on stage that it has had me thinking about it since I saw it, probably about 10 years ago.

Obscure musicals:  Well, DR DTM received the Showbill for one, TRIXIE TRUE, Teen Detective.  (Confidential to DR DTM:  If I had known you were looking for it, I would have found it in one of those boxes in the closet.....you know the ones.....  Can I ask how much you paid?)  All those one-nighters and out-of-town-closers.  I (and the DP) happen to be a BIG fan of STEEL PIER.  I am sure I will think of others later.  

Get well vibes to DR Elmore and M Shayne.
Birthday (an job-hunting) vibes to DFR Jed.
Moving/travel vibes to DR Panni.
Did I miss anyone needing vibes?

On the docket for us tonight:  THE KING AND I, starring (cough, cough...) Miss Sandy Duncan.  Love her to pieces, but I am not sure of the appropriateness of the casting.  Though she was a divine Roxie in CHICAGO when we saw her.  (And at least she should be better than her already rehearsed and announced replacement in the tour, Miss Stefanie Powers.)

Panni

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2004, 07:43:59 AM »

A quick hello - then off for some appointments and errands.

Panni

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2004, 07:45:27 AM »

****Michael Shayne - Healing Vibes!***

****Healing Vibes to DR Elmore!****

Jennifer

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2004, 07:55:14 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR Jed!

DR Danise, if your mom won't go to see a doctor, are there any doctors who would come to your house?  There must be doctors who would do this for older patients.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2004, 08:02:22 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~ EVERY SORT OF VIBE TO ONE AND ALL ~~~[/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2004, 08:03:08 AM »

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO D.R. JED!![/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2004, 08:03:58 AM »

I don't think I know what plays are "obscure" plays.  So, I better not comment. :)

Jennifer

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2004, 08:20:38 AM »

I'm confused.  Since when is DR Jed a former reader? :(

George

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2004, 08:23:21 AM »

I'm confused.  Since when is DR Jed a former reader? :(

It's just been a long time since he's posted.  I don't think he's truly a "former" DR, just very busy job hunting.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up