Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE POMPOUS BASSOON  (Read 16821 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE POMPOUS BASSOON
« Reply #120 on: October 26, 2004, 09:45:26 PM »

Random Observation about Houston...

Like many sprawling urban areas, there's a lot of road construction going on here in Houston.  And all that construction causes delays at all times of the day and night.  At least they have signs on the highways that seem to a pretty good job of notifying drivers of the current delays.

As for the drivers... UGH!  There are just some plain bad drivers out here.  And there are some bad-bad drivers out here.  People either seem either not to know how to drive, or they just simply have no regard for the other drivers on the road with them.  And if you are going to buy and drive an SUV or an over-sized pick-up truck, then you should also be able to stay in your lane while negotiating the curves.  I've seen and experienced one too many close calls in the few weeks I've been here.

One other traffic-related idiosyncracy is that the traffic lights are mounted horizontal.  From left to right it goes, red, yellow, green.  For someone who grew up on vertically mounted traffic signals, it took a few days to adjust to the realignment.  -And then there are left turn lanes that are not really "true" left turn lanes... ???
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #121 on: October 26, 2004, 10:03:51 PM »

OOHHH!!!

I also made it over to one of the three House of Pies locations here in Houston...  Since I only can compare it to the location in Los Feliz...

-Since smoking is allowed in restaurants and bars here in Texas, there is a smoking section in the restaurant.  -And it's about twice the size - if not more - of the non-smoking section.  Ah, well... -I'm not a non-smoking zealot, but it was kind of sad to see so many teenagers sitting and smoking in the smoking section of the restaurant.

-The menu is basically the same as the one in LA.  There are some regional specialties, and I didn't see avocados listed as frequently on the menu here.

-The choices for the type of potato here are: baked, mashed, french-fried, cottage (basically small tater-tots), and hash browns.  *And you can request just how crispy you want your hash browns!  -I wanted mine extra crisp, and that's what I got!  YUM!

-And judging from the portions that were served to me and friends, everything is indeed bigger here in Texas.

-The bakery case also features Mexican Wedding Cake cookies.  However, they're "flat" and not the round balls I'm familiar with.  However, they still taste the same, and are very good.  ;)

-The restaurant is open 24 hours.

As for the pies...

The selection and "styles" seem to be the same.  However, the Pecan Pies are listed as Texas Pecan Pie, and there is also a Texas Fudge Pie listed on the menu.  I've only tried one pie so far.  It's their House Specialty - Bayou Goo.  And, boy, is it gooey... and rich.  I ended up buying a whole pie to go - it was only $10.00 - since the slices were $4.00 a piece.  *Oh, and the pies come in 10" pie plates - which I think are larger than the ones in LA - and the pies are served in fifths rather than fourths.   But back to the pie...  After analyzing a slice - or two - a Bayou Goo pie is made up of the following:

(from the bottom up)
-Pie Crust - flazy and crunchy all at once
-A cheesecake-type layer - and I think there was even some flaked coconut in it.... I think.  About 1/2 inch thick.
-The "Goo" layer - basically, it's a very thick and rich chocolate pudding/mousse with crushed pecans in it.  About 1 inch thick - if not thicker.
-Whipped Cream.  Lots and lots of whipped cream.
-Chocolate shavings.

And I'd have to say the whole pie weighed at least three pounds if not more.

All in all, a very good pie.  -But I think I'll opt for something more traditional on my next trip there - it really is rich(!).  But I'm glad I got to try it.

*And I shared the rest of my pie with some others in the cast.
Make Your Own Luck.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #122 on: October 26, 2004, 10:06:57 PM »

Welcome back, Laura II. Glad you got out of the pit, Jose.

Today, I was supposed to write the proposal for a term paper. But so far today all I've accomplished was to sit through my History of the English Language class without falling asleep (which really is quite an accomplishment). I'll do it tomorrow.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #123 on: October 26, 2004, 10:12:21 PM »

And speaking of smoking...

There was a "memo" posted on the stage door entrance when we arrived at the theatre tonight.  It was posted by the facilities manager.  Basically, it was a sort-of friendly reminder to the smokers to extinguish their cigarettes in the ashtrays provided on the "patio" area, and to not dipose of their cigarette butts in the adjacent garden area.  The wording went something like this:

"Unless you are too weak due to lung cancer, emphysema or some other respiratory condition, please walk to the right and dispose of your cigarettes."

;)

-And it also mentioned that Texas state law forbids smoking within 25 feet(!) of a designated non-smoking entrance.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #124 on: October 26, 2004, 10:15:04 PM »

Welcome back from your self-imposed sabatical, Jose!!  

I'm burning a DVD so my computer is much slower than usual...fortunately NOT as slow as the computer at the house where I was house-sitting up until this weekend.  THAT was one freakin' slow computer!  So, I'm going to say "good night."  Which I just did.

My sister's boyfriend (who built my computer) gave me some more memory to add to my computer!  He hasn't put it in...yet...but hopefully he will before the end of the week.  The only problem is that it could actually be the wrong kind of memory for my computer, but since he built it, it should work...it'd better.  :)

So, again, good night! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: October 26, 2004, 10:30:08 PM »

Laura II, never give up.  Come back where you belong, you dear, dear person out there in the dark.

Tomovoz

« Reply #126 on: October 26, 2004, 10:40:19 PM »

Still more +ve vibes to Elmore and those in need. Thank you DR Jane for passing on the news to the land of OZ.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #127 on: October 26, 2004, 10:40:37 PM »

Good to see you out of the pit Jose.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #128 on: October 26, 2004, 10:41:10 PM »

More posts from Kerry I hope. Really great to have you back here.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #129 on: October 26, 2004, 10:45:09 PM »

Good to see Laura II back here again. Hope you can find still find the time to pop in say hello.
James Thurber 1957

Laura II

« Reply #130 on: October 26, 2004, 10:46:10 PM »

I'm procrastinating as usual. My computer had a virus for the last two weeks, and it's all better now. I'm basking in the ability to talk on instant messenger again. General warning: don't click on any suspicious links!

How is life for everyone? I need updates. I'll update you guys as well, if you'd like. Feel free to ask questions since I don't know what you would want to know!

Talk to you all soon!
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Tomovoz

« Reply #131 on: October 26, 2004, 10:46:28 PM »

By now you should have had enough of La Belle France!!
James Thurber 1957

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #132 on: October 26, 2004, 10:53:00 PM »

My question to Dear Reader Laura II: What suspicious link did you click on?
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Laura II

« Reply #133 on: October 26, 2004, 11:07:44 PM »

Sandra, I clicked on a silly link in an old student's AIM away message. It said something like, "Look at this!" I don't remember what it was exactly. It gave me a Trojan horse virus, though.
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #134 on: October 26, 2004, 11:36:57 PM »

Laura II: We wish to know EVERYTHING that's tellable on a family-friendly site.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #135 on: October 26, 2004, 11:40:34 PM »

...But back to the pie...  After analyzing a slice - or two - a Bayou Goo pie is made up of the following:

(from the bottom up)
-Pie Crust - flazy and crunchy all at once
-A cheesecake-type layer - and I think there was even some flaked coconut in it.... I think.  About 1/2 inch thick.
-The "Goo" layer - basically, it's a very thick and rich chocolate pudding/mousse with crushed pecans in it.  About 1 inch thick - if not thicker.
-Whipped Cream.  Lots and lots of whipped cream.
-Chocolate shavings.

And I'd have to say the whole pie weighed at least three pounds if not more.
And someone forced you to eat all the whipped cream, right?

That story's getting around.   ::)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 11:41:45 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #136 on: October 26, 2004, 11:45:48 PM »

It seems that DR Jed is not going to join us today. I hope DR Ann will pass on all our best wishes.
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up