Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WANING DAYS OF OCTOBER  (Read 15797 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE WANING DAYS OF OCTOBER
« on: October 26, 2004, 11:58:59 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you have not waned on the notes nor have you waned on a pawade, and now it is time for you to post until the waning cows come home.

P.S. A happy birthday to occasional poster wlajb.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 12:00:00 AM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:THE WANING DAYS OF OCTOBER
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 12:00:57 AM »

And I spy a Jed! Welcome back Jed.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jed

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 12:06:29 AM »

Dang it, just missed posting to the end of yesterday's posts, so...

Thank you so very much one and all, all and one, for the loverly birthday wishes!  I have been incredibly errant and truant the past couple months, but I assure you all that I shall return on a regular basis one of these days.  I miss all y'all, and when things get rolling for me again and I feel I can be as lively and sparkling as this ever-so-ginchy place deserves, I very much look forward to rejoining this merry troupe.

...I'll be back!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 12:20:25 AM »

Welcome back, Jed!

As bk said, it's waning. Hawd. There's a pool outside my front door. And I'm not talking about the swimming pool. I think I'll be up all night taking care of paper work. My aim is not to stay up all night tomorrow (tonight) - the night before my trip.

Panni

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 12:24:17 AM »

For the women (and the men) around here -- take a look at this...
http://www.saveroe.com/americanidle/

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 12:25:34 AM »

Running though a dusty field, he cries "Come back, Jed, come back!"

Hey, a Brandon deWilde reference, or close to!  (And to a film that's four months older than I am!)

memo to self: double=-check all late-nite posts for typos.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 07:31:45 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 12:26:44 AM »

Tom - I've been meaning to tell you - the photos are wonderful!

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 12:38:41 AM »

DR Panni:  Thank you.  Selective of course!! Have so many from the old style camera that have yet to be developed!

I hope your trip is interesting, enjoyable and most of all, SAFE. I am sure we all look forward to your safe return. - and to a new address.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 12:41:46 AM »

Thank you, Tom.

beckon

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 04:52:31 AM »

ASK BK

Since it has been "waning" so much lately here in L.A. (and it is only October!), what are your favorite "wany" day activites?  Or rainy day...whichever you prefer!
A bell is no bell til you ring it
A song is no song til you sing it
And love in your heart wasn't put there to stay
Love isn't love til you give it away

Oscar Hammerstein II

Ben

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2004, 05:07:10 AM »

Tom, the pics are gorgeous and whet my appetite for a return trip. That being said, I have a question for you (Tom). You posted a picture yesterday of a Norman style cottage and a winding road. Where in France is that? Of course it could be anywhere in any small village but it looks familiar. You weren't in Honfleur this trip, were you?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2004, 05:56:29 AM »

Rodney Dangerfield one-liners:

I was so poor growing up ... If I wasn't born a boy ... I'd have nothing to play with.

A girl phoned me the other day and said "Come on over, there's nobody home." I went over. Nobody was home.

One day as I came home early from work ... I saw a guy jogging naked. I said to the guy... "Hey buddy, why are you doing that?" He said, "Because you came home early."

It's been a rough day. I got up this morning ... put on a shirt and a button fell off. I picked up my briefcase, and the handle came off. I'm afraid to go to the bathroom.

I was such an ugly kid ... When I played in the sandbox the cat kept covering me up.

I could tell that my parents hated me. My bath toys were a toaster and a radio.

I'm so ugly... My mother had morning sickness... AFTER I was born.

I remember the time I was kidnapped and they sent a piece of my finger to my father. He said he wanted more proof.

I went to see my doctor. "Doctor, every morning when I get up and look in the mirror... I feel like throwing up; What's wrong with me?" He said "I don't know but your eyesight is perfect."

« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 06:14:01 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2004, 06:13:15 AM »

What time are the cows expected home?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2004, 08:02:54 AM »

DR Tom, the pictrues are excellent quality, and I enjoyed looking at them. You have a wonderful eye for photographs.

Glad to see DR Jed back, even fleetingly.

Nice to hear from DR Jose last night.

Really hope all who are in physical distress start to feel better soon. Having been a bit under the weather a couple of weeks ago (but had to keep pushing myself since SOMETHING'S AFOOT was afooting), I know how miserable it is to not feel your best (and my ailment was minor compared to what's going on with some DRs). Get better soon!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2004, 08:04:22 AM »

I have a question for the single DRs out there, especially those who live by themselves:

How often do you cook for yourself during a typical week and how often do you go out for meals?

For me, I go out for about three meals a week and cook for myself all the other times.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2004, 08:04:34 AM »

Rolling-again-soon vibes to DR Jed.

Matt H.

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2004, 08:05:24 AM »

We have an afternoon rehearsal of NUNCRACKERS today, so I'll be back later.

BTW, thanks to DR George for the info on accordian playing. That relieved my mind completely that I wouldn't have to fiddle with the buttons to get sound of out the instrument.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2004, 08:24:00 AM »

ASK BK

Since it has been "waning" so much lately here in L.A. (and it is only October!), what are your favorite "wany" day activites?  Or rainy day...whichever you prefer!

When I was a kid I used to love to walk in the rain (see all three Kritzer books) - I also love to sit by a window and read, I like to drive in the rain (with hopefully no other drivers around), and I like to lie in bed and be cozy whilst listening to the rain.

That said, it has been very hard to write this beach party movie in the rain - I need sunshine to be in the proper mood.  

It does seem as if the sun is trying its hardes to make an appearance this fine morning.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2004, 08:26:12 AM »

I have a question for the single DRs out there, especially those who live by themselves:

How often do you cook for yourself during a typical week and how often do you go out for meals?

For me, I go out for about three meals a week and cook for myself all the other times.

I go out quite a bit, but I also bring stuff in a lot, too.  I haven't cooked all that much in the new home environment, but I've made a few meals here, along with smaller snacks.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2004, 08:26:31 AM »

Now, might I just as where in tarnation IS everyone?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2004, 08:30:42 AM »

Hello, all!  I'm back and feeling not too bad, just a bit uncomfortable.  I'm on Tylenol with codeine right now, but I'm switching to Vicodin this afternoon.   The surgery went well, I hope.  I see the surgeon tomorrow afternoon, but so far things seem good, if uncomfortable, at times.

Thank you all for the kind words, thoughts and vibes.  You're all quite dear to me, but I think you already know it, I hope you do.

DRJed, welcome back!

DRMattH, I cook about 3 times a week, but one of the advantages of New York is that every deli and lots of restaurants deliver.  The decision for me is always what do I want and whom do I call.

I bought a new keyboard for my eMac this morning.  I spilled a glass of water on it Monday night, and nothing I did to dry it out and get it back in shape worked.  I suspect one of the reasonsd is it was filled with plaster dust from the bookcase debacle in late August and the water mixed with the dust inside the keyboard and turned it all to glue.

I enjoyed yesterday's posts, and out comes the old Fogey in me.  All you youngsters newed to broaden your horizons more.  There are a million wonderful and little known plays and musicals waiting to be discovered/acted/sung/whatever.

Favorite little known plays:
  LOOK HOMEWARD ANGEL:  why this never became a film still eludes me.
  TEIBELE AND HER DEMON:  I saw this opening night and it closed around three days later.
  THE RELAPSE:  the first Restoration play with a definitely gay character, Coupler the matchmaker, but I love the character of Hoyden Tunbelly, the gauche country heiress.  This was made into a British musical after the success of LOCK UP YOUR DAUGHTERS (a musical based on Fielding's funny RAPE UPON RAPE) and it had a song I loved "I'm in Love With Her Husband."
  INVITATION TO A MARCH:  Arthur Laurents' version of "Sleeping Beauty" set in the Hamptons.
  THE CAT AND THE CANARY:  a funny 1920s thriller, one of first and best of the mad-killer-on-the-loose-drive-the-heroine-mad melodramas.
  THE KITTY (La Cagnotte):  funny French farce about provincial Frenchmen going to Paris and making total fools of themselves.

Musicals:
  SITTING PRETTY:  a great Jerome Kern score
  SWEET ADELINE:  another great Kern score
  BIRDS OF PARADISE:  David Evans and Winnie Holzman of the tv series MY SO CALLED LIFE made an intelligent, sly musical of Chekhov's THE SEAGULL; favorite lyric: "Chekhov wrote in Russian which is Greek to me."
  BLESS THE BRIDE: British postwar valentine/satire of Victorian morals and the British abroad.
  KNICKERBOCKER HOLIDAY:  great political satire about fascist dictators set to Kurt Weill score and still relevant today; favorite lyric: "the honest men sit in the jails; the robbers, they are out."

« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 08:33:05 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2004, 08:54:11 AM »

Well - how thrilled Miss Allison would be that her photo caused so much comment.  I usually post one that I have saved from the WWW - but perhaps I will begin scanning a few more of my Unusual photographs.  And yes, DRJANE - you would look lovely in the outfit.  It is from - of course -Frederick's of Hollywood!

No I am not going at Allison for Halloween, MR BK - although it is a thought - I have decided this year to go as Lucy as Superman - two costumes in one!

And if you don't find the Broadway DVD - try www.deepdiscountdvd.com where it is only about $36 and you can get SLOW free shipping for faster regular shipping if you prefer!

Over the piano is a great place for the painting, properly illuminated.

Thanks MATTH - yes DRCP "The Little Princess" was all in color....but MATTH I had forgotten about the last few minutes of "The Little Colonel" - I have only seen that color sequence once, and it wasn't even very good shape wherever it was on....maybe Fox Movie Channel.....hmmmmmmm

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2004, 08:55:00 AM »

My question for ASK BK day:

What was your favorite Shirley Temple film when you were growing up?

What is your favorite Shirley Temple film now?

And why?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2004, 09:20:51 AM »

DR Elmore,

So glad you're back and that the procedure went well. It must be a huge relief.

I'd love to see a production of just about any Kurt Weill work, particularly Knickerbocker Holiday.

(Has anyone seen Weill's Down In The Valley? I'm quite fond of the LP, but wonder how it would play on stage.)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2004, 09:21:58 AM »

My question for ASK BK day:

What was your favorite Shirley Temple film when you were growing up?

What is your favorite Shirley Temple film now?

And why?

I never really was into Shirley when I was younger.  My grandfather (Grandpa Gelfinbaum in the Kritzer books) LOVED her and all those movies.  Maybe that's why I didn't care for them.  I like them now and have the few that were released on DVD.  I like the one where she sings Animal Crackers and the one with On the Good Ship Lollipop.

I tried deepdiscount for the Broadway set - great price and all but they list it twice - once it says "out of stock" the other it says nothing about stock.  I don't want to order it if they don't have it.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2004, 09:23:15 AM »

Greetings, Hainsies and Kimlets.

I do not have any specific questions for BK today.  At least none that I can think of right now.

As I mentioned yesterday, last night the Dear Partner and I went to see Sandy Duncan in THE KING AND EYE (think about it, dear readers.....).  

In a nutshell, the production was lovely.  Not spectacular, but certainly not as chintzy looking as some tours can be.  The physical production seemed to have been cobbled together from the Donna Murphy revival (costumes), and other K&I's (sets).

As K&I is my favorite R&H show, I have always held it close to my heart.  And I am not afraid to say in these environs that I was not thrilled with the Donna Murphy production.  But this was a lovely production, overall.  Did I say that already?

Miss Duncan brings her usual perkiness to the role, as well as her dancer's background.  She positively flitted about her bedroom during "Shall I Tell You What I Think of You?," which might not have seemed proper, but it was animated.  However, her readings of some of the lines during that scene/song were also the way I had always imagined them being said/sung, but never have heard them done that way.  Her voice is also much lower than I am used to hearing for Mrs. Anna's songs.

The King was essayed by Mr. Martin Vidnovic (estranged father of Laura Benanti), who I saw as Lun Tha almost 30 years ago (!).  For one, Mr. Vidnovic should find a better agent.  Not only is he billed below the title (a rare occurrence for a King these days), but his billing size was the same as the rest of the ensemble's, though at least on his own line.  Having worked with Mr. Yul Brynner as much as he had (he was also in HOME SWEET HOMER), there are defnitely Brynner-like nuances to his performance.  And to say that Mr. Vidnovic has too much voice for "A Puzzlement" would be an understatement.

The Tuptim was fine, though her performance of "My Lord and Master" was only serviceable, IMHO (in my humble opinion, in internet parlance).  Her sections of her duets made me think that she might be better suited for Kim than Tuptim.

The Lun Tha was in fine voice, and in fine chest.  If you know what I mean.  And I think you do.

I am happy to say that the polka brought down the house.  As well it should.

I should also add, however, that some misdirection by Miss Baayork Lee (the once and future director of A CHORUS LINE, including DR Jose's current assignment) made a mish-mash of the final deathbed scene, especially after the King actually passes.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 11:46:51 AM by Stuart »

Emily

« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2004, 09:31:26 AM »

Good afternoon (or good morning all!)

Today coming into the main school gates I was bombarded by several rather well-toned young men and women in bathing suits asking for money.  In the COLD.  Sigh... the varsity swim team gets crazier and crazier ever year (yet luckily remain still as visual appealing as always)!  Needless to say they got my loonie :)

Happy belated birthday Jed!

Vibes to Elmore and Michael Shayne! I'm glad to hear you are both doing better. ~~~

I'd like to make a vibe request of my own for a midterm I have this afternoon at 4:30.  Family and Modern Society.  I might just die of boredom while writing it.  Vibe-ify me please! :)

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2004, 09:51:34 AM »

Ah - try www.dvdplanet.com MRBK - it is in stock but a bit more about $46!  Also check out their Broadway archive DVD's if you don't have them.  Just search under title Broadway....the DVD set is the almost the last DVD listed, but there are some nice ones along the way.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2004, 09:53:32 AM »

DRD-I-T, I saw DOWN IN THE VALLEY in grad school.  It plays quite well, but I find its naivete, deliberate or not, a bit cloying, and I prefer it as a listening piece.  A radio opera I love, which I believe has a theme stolen (no!!) by Lloyd Webber in POT, is Menotti's THE OLD MAID AND THE THIEF, and I'm surprised that isn't performed more often.  There was a lovely performance on cassette with Judith Blegen and John Reardon and I wish they'd issue it on CD.

Since I've not been a fan of Miss Duncan since she was impossibly miscast in the 1998 Carnegie Hall JUBILEE, wherein she screwed up every song lyric she had,  I'm sorry to hear she's not so bad as Mrs Anna.  I also thought the fierce Donna Murphy was miscast in THE KING AND I, as was the director of that production, lovely as it was to view.  Martin Vidnovic was a Cincinnati Conservatory opera student: I remember his Don Giovanni, in which hew was a very handsome seducer.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2004, 10:00:50 AM »

Good vibes for DR Emily's midterm.

DR Laura II please come back!

Welcome DRs Kerry and Jed.

Glad you're feeling a bitbetter DR Elmore.

DR Jose, glad you came out of the pit.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up