Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WANING DAYS OF OCTOBER  (Read 17018 times)

Tomovoz

Re:THE WANING DAYS OF OCTOBER
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2004, 02:00:01 PM »

Jane's favourite!!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2004, 02:15:19 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I made it up in time to get to the Alley Theater to catch this morning's student matinee performance of Ken Ludwig's latest play, Leading Ladies.

What a wonderful show!  -I'm so glad I got my butt-cheeks out of bed in time to make it to the early show.  It's a great farce filled with the usual farcical elements: cross-dressing men, mistaken identities, backstage intrigues, etc.  Despite the very "old-fasioned" devices, the laughs ring true and fresh.  -And I have to commend the cast for being at the their best for a 10:00AM(!) performance.  The plot centers around two actors trying to bilk a elderly woman of her considerable fortune.  One of them find himself falling in love with the niece, one of them finds himself falling in love with the friend... hilarity ensues.

And what a cast!  The "Leading Ladies" are played to the hilt by Brent Barrett and Christopher Duva.  The sight of Mr. Barrett in a Cleopatra dress with a sheer mid-drift made for a most memorable entrance.  Mr. Duva's various costumes and wigs also provided their moments of genuine laughs.

Erin Dilly plays Meg who soon becomes the object of affection of Mr. Barrett's Leo/Maxine.  I've worked with Erin before, and I've always loved her on stage, but I have to say I fell in love with her again while watching her this morning.  Her slightly daffy ingenue is a wonder.  So effortlessly carried off.  And she also gets to show off some of her physical comedy skills - the way she descends the staircase is priceless.  She's supposed to be in the upcoming Broadway bow of Chitty-Chitty Bang-Bang, but I hope her performance in this show gets to be seen by a New York audience.  -And I was glad I hung out after the show to catch up with here too.

Jane Powell - who one local reviewer noted "seems to get smaller and spunkier each times she comes to town" (she was on the The Full Monty Tour) - can deliver one-liners with the best of them.  And her physical performance is also a joy to watch.  -And it was her birthday today too!

Rounding out the cast are Mark Jacoby as Duncan, Meg's fiance; Lacey Kohl as Audrey the roller-skating waitress and Meg's best friend; Dan Lauria as Doc - who knows how to work a cod-piece(!); and Tim McGeever as Butch, Audrey's somewhat dim-witted but lovable boyfriend.

All in all, a very enjoyable morning.

And it's was very nice to see some very established musical theatre performers - Ms. Dilly, Ms. Kohl, Mr. Barrett and Mr. Jacoby - proving that singers can be - and ARE - actors too!  *Oh, and there's a nice dance/costume parade sequence at the top of the final scene too!

-And the audience was very well-behaved too, for the most part.  Most of the audience was comprised to middle-school and high school students.  It was a joy and inspiration to notice that most of them were actually listening to the words coming from the stage, and that they actually got the laughs as well as most of the theatrical and Shakespearean references that appear throughout the play.  However, the two older ladies who were sitting next to me obviously paid no attention to the pre-show announcements regarding unwrapping their candies and cough drops... I was literally about to reach over and help the woman open her package of cough drops!  -And, of course, she held the bits of cellophane in her hand throughout the rest of the first act, and would occasionally crinkle them from time to time.. to time... UGH!

But, again, I had a wonderful time.  I hope the play has a future beyond Houston.

*BK - I tried to pass on greetings to Brent on your behalf, but I seemed to have missed him at the stage door.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2004, 02:15:28 PM »

Whether Mr. Spacey made some other changes along with his name, I leave to the gossips.

Well, I'll never tell what I know.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2004, 02:18:58 PM »

Of course, thanks for reminding me DR Tom. Yes, DR Jane, superb!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2004, 02:23:02 PM »

So what's this news item about 58,000 missing absentee ballots in Florida?

In Bette Midler's phraseology, are a bunch of scared rats trying to save a sinking ship?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2004, 02:23:13 PM »

I had my hair cut earlier today. The place where I go is run by a nice husband and wife from Ukraine. They told me that their four-and-a-half-year-old son is a huge fan of Sarah Brightman. He "discovered" her when he saw LAND BEFORE TIME, and now he fast forwards the video just so he can hear her sing over the credits. Sarah Brightman will be performing in Toronto on Monday night, and they bought him a ticket - he'll be going with his mom. The kid can barely sleep, he's so excited.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2004, 02:27:12 PM »

After the show, I headed into the Tunnels that run under most of Houston.  From what I gather and from what some locals have told me, the Tunnels started as a result of a bomb shelter being built under the Foley's department store many years ago.  The more that downtown got built up, the more the tunnel system expanded.  It's possible to walk from one end of the downtown area to the other without ever having to go outside - and in inclement weather that comes in handy.  It also helps during the hot summers here too.  There is also a system of skyways connecting many of the building above street level.

Basically, the tunnels are like one large underground food court and shopping center while providing a convenient way for city workers to walk from one building to another.  They looked very clean with a nice variety of shops and restaurants.  -I ended up trying some pretty good Mexican today.

OH!  And now I know where all the Starbucks are in downtown Houston!  They're all underground!

I also found out today why most of Houston seems to be under construction right now.  It's all part of the Allison Iniative.  In order to prevent the loss of lives and money due to Hurricane Allison a few years ago, the city of Houston is totally revamping their infrastructure.  Streets are being regraded.   New sewage and drainage systems are being put in.  Basically, the whole city is being re-developed in order to provide three main "drainage areas" should another hurricane hit them again.  Sounds good to me.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2004, 02:31:09 PM »

So what's this news item about 58,000 missing absentee ballots in Florida?

In Bette Midler's phraseology, are a bunch of scared rats trying to save a sinking ship?

And what about the mess in Ohio?!?!  Apparently, there is one whole county - at least a block of 17,000 votes - that could end up - and probably will - being challenged due some mix up in the registrar's office.  The registrar's office has already put in place a plan to use one of the convention centers in order to process the in-question ballots and voters.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2004, 02:34:18 PM »

DR elmoore - I haven't caught up on all the posts from the past week, but I'm guessing that you've had some type of surgery and that you're now back at home recovering and recuperating.  Glad to know your health is on the mend.

You mentioned Sweet Adeline in one of your posts today.  Did you work on the Encores' presentation a few years ago?
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2004, 02:34:44 PM »

The more that downtown got built up, the more the tunnel system expanded.  It's possible to walk from one end of the downtown area to the other without ever having to go outside - and in inclement weather that comes in handy.  It also helps during the hot summers here too.  There is also a system of skyways connecting many of the building above street level.

DRJose, you're in Houston about a month earlier than I was during the six weeks I was there with BABES IN TOYLAND, and it was warm through Thanksgiving, which is - I recall - the week before we opened.  We were there for production meetings during the summer, including a readthrough of a dreadful new book that necessitated a change in book writer, and it was only bearable to head for the nearest tunnel.  It's unbearable in Houston in the suimmer!

Ginny

« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2004, 02:35:27 PM »

DRElmore...Your DVD/videotape story reminded me of the time our son, Rob, went online (with my credit card)to order his dad a copy of a family-favorite movie for Christmas - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.  He had missed the one little detail that he was ordering the Spanish version and was most upset when it arrived.  The irony was that he HATED his Spanish classes in high school.

Continued recovery vibes...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2004, 02:39:29 PM »

DR elmoore - I haven't caught up on all the posts from the past week, but I'm guessing that you've had some type of surgery and that you're now back at home recovering and recuperating.  Glad to know your health is on the mend.

You mentioned Sweet Adeline in one of your posts today.  Did you work on the Encores' presentation a few years ago?

DRJose, three things:

1.  I believe I sent you an email about the "procedure" yesterday; I hope I did!
2.  No, I did see Eric Shaefer (sp) at the orchestra readthrough for SWEET ADELINE, but after doing THE BOYS FROM SYRACUSE for them for little, as well as CALL ME MADAM and PAL JOEY, Rob Fisher only calls me when he has a budget of less than $100 or he needs a freebie.   Now that Encores! is rich, they call the boys with Tony Awards or nominations.  Color me bitter.
3.  Did you hear about the breakin at the Toledo, OH, Democratic headquarters? Only the computers with information were stolen.

I  have a fantasatic tape of the New Amsterdam Theatre performances from 1985 with Judy Kaye, Ivy Austin, Richard Muenz, Paula Laurence, and Carlton Carpenter.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 02:41:11 PM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2004, 02:41:54 PM »

DRElmore...Your DVD/videotape story reminded me of the time our son, Rob, went online (with my credit card)to order his dad a copy of a family-favorite movie for Christmas - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.  He had missed the one little detail that he was ordering the Spanish version and was most upset when it arrived.  The irony was that he HATED his Spanish classes in high school.

Continued recovery vibes...

Thank you, DRGinny!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2004, 02:45:14 PM »

RE: Single DRs and Eating Out vs. Eating In...

I go through phases.  Sometimes I find mysef eating out almost each day of the week in some for or another.  Other times, I end up giving my cookware and stove and oven a good workout for days at a time.  No ryhme or reason to it.

-On a related note, while packing up for Houston, I ended putting some of the various cookware I own that happen to still be in boxes in the kitchen on top of the new refrigerator.  Boy, was that a wake up call of sorts.  By the time I had placed everything on top of the fridge, it was like I had stocked a small housewares department.  A large non-stick griddle, a grill pan, a stainless steel covered saute pan, a set of All-Clad gratin dishes, various specialtly bake/cake pans, a small cast-iron wok (Le Creuset - heck, it was on sale!), a heavy-duty broiler pan, a 5 quart sauce pan, etc.  -And, again, all were still in boxes - meaning, not used.  Yet.  And, yes, some of those boxes were bought two or three years ago... Hmmm...  No more Williams-Sonoma or Sur La Table for me for a while.   :-X

-And then there was the collection of serving spoons, silicon spatulas and spoonulas, pastry brushes, chef's knives, splatter guards, etc...

Maybe I should just have a yard sale when I get back...

Hmmm....
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2004, 02:52:10 PM »

DRJose, three things:

1.  I believe I sent you an email about the "procedure" yesterday; I hope I did!
2.  No, I did see Eric Shaefer (sp) at the orchestra readthrough for SWEET ADELINE, but after doing THE BOYS FROM SYRACUSE for them for little, as well as CALL ME MADAM and PAL JOEY, Rob Fisher only calls me when he has a budget of less than $100 or he needs a freebie.   Now that Encores! is rich, they call the boys with Tony Awards or nominations.  Color me bitter.
3.  Did you hear about the breakin at the Toledo, OH, Democratic headquarters? Only the computers with information were stolen.

I  have a fantasatic tape of the New Amsterdam Theatre performances from 1985 with Judy Kaye, Ivy Austin, Richard Muenz, Paula Laurence, and Carlton Carpenter.

1)  Hmm... No e-mail from you... Hmmm... Could be AOL's Auto-Spam filters working in overdrive again.  I'll check.

2) OK - I just wanted to get your impressions of Mr. Schaeffer.  -And any other "stuff" from that presentation.  I've just happened to work with a couple of people recently who were a part of that show, and they've all had very interesting things to say about the process.  Nothing bad per se, nothing really good per se.  Just interesting.

3) Yes, I heard about the break in.  -Oh, and the county in question in my previous post happens to include most of Cleveland.  The registrar was semi-joking that he would need a place the size of the Browns football stadium in order to process the likely number of challenged/questionable voters/votes.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2004, 03:02:12 PM »

As I mentioned yesterday, last night the Dear Partner and I went to see Sandy Duncan in THE KING AND EYE (think about it, dear readers.....).  

...The biggest "puzzlement" for me with this current touring production is the fact the Mr. Vidnovic is playing the King.  I'm sure he makes a fine King, but after all the brou-ha-ha over Jonathan Pryce's performance in Miss Saigon, and the recent push for color-blind, multi-racial casting...  Well, I guess casting Mr. Vidnovic as a the King could be considered color-blind casting in a way...  Well.. -I'm starting to babble, but I think you know what I'm getting at.

I meant to ask Baayork about it when she was here, but A CHORUS LINE kept us busy.  -Just wondering...

-I do have to wonder about Stephanie Powers... Hmmm...  When was the last time she was on stage?  When was the last time she sang on stage?
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2004, 03:14:36 PM »

Noel: I don't remember meeting anyone that interesting from other schools.

Back from meeting Marcy the Marketing Person and we'll be working together on Writer's Block.  I am very hopeful that she'll be an excellent asset, and that she'll be able to get all the mystery and theater bookshops to order the book, and that she'll be able to book some interesting signings around the country.

Tomovoz

« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2004, 03:18:59 PM »

London from Greenwich Hill
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2004, 03:19:42 PM »

Amazing - a photo without the help of Jane and Keith!!
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2004, 04:02:49 PM »

OK - Time to head to the theatre...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2004, 04:26:19 PM »

DR Emily: Did you know that MAMMA MIA will be playing here this summer?  As will NOTRE DAME DE PARIS (which I really want to see, but it's probably sold out already).

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2004, 05:01:28 PM »

Of course, thanks for reminding me DR Tom. Yes, DR Jane, superb!

;D  I didn’t photograph them, just downsized them which didn’t take too much talent.

Michael

« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2004, 05:02:30 PM »

My questoin is this:

The song Roadside from the musical Roadside recorderd on Unsung Musicals II sounds as if the music was lifted from Sweetriver (or another song) from 110 in the Shade? I just realized this on a recent listen. Never noticed it before.
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2004, 05:04:15 PM »

There is no real musical notes similarity between Sweet River and Roadside - maybe it's the harmonica and the feel.

Jane

« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2004, 05:08:25 PM »

Laura II welcome back.  I was so happy when your avatar appeared.  Pop anytime and let us know how you are doing.

Jose I have a recipe for delicious Mexican Wedding Cakes.

Emily I’m too late for vibes but hope the midterm went well.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2004, 05:11:22 PM »

Amazing - a photo without the help of Jane and Keith!!

That is what I was thinking! LOL

Jane

« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2004, 05:13:40 PM »

Jose I have a recipe for delicious Mexican Wedding Cakes.
I found your history of the Houston tunnels very interesting.

Emily I’m too late for vibes but hope the midterm went well.

Charles Pogue-darling Tewkes story.  I’m glad he has become playful.

DiT it is so cute the little boy wants to see Sarah Brightman.  His parents should try and pass along a note and find out if he can meet her.

Ginny, Rob’s story made me laugh.

Jane

« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2004, 05:17:13 PM »

My favorite Shirley Temple movie is THE BACHELOR AND THE BOBBYSOXER.  One of my favorite fun movies to watch.  Dan(the Man) thanks for the fun bit of trivia.

My favorite as a child was THE LITTLE PRINCESS .

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2004, 05:47:58 PM »

I soon will be heading to a meeting of the Board of Directors of my synagogue.  I have every confidence that the excitement of this news will cause each and every reader out there in the dark to plotz like they have never plotzed before.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2004, 06:02:45 PM »

I soon will be heading to a meeting of the Board of Directors of my synagogue.  I have every confidence that the excitement of this news will cause each and every reader out there in the dark to plotz like they have never plotzed before.

If I weren't so frail, I'd plotz twice!  Pray God you return safely from your mission!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up