Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: CHRISTMAS DECOR  (Read 4168 times)

Laura

Re: CHRISTMAS DECOR
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2015, 08:10:32 AM »

I have set up and cleaned up several Christmas parties this month. Maybe I will put up my own tree today. I haven't done anything here so far.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 08:13:36 AM by Laura »
"The last time those pirates were here, they stole our honey, and we had to eat unsweetened yogurt for a week!"
                                                                -- Tiger Lily

Ginny

« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2015, 08:10:58 AM »

We also received a lovely e-card from DR Elmore!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2015, 08:52:41 AM »

My question for this Wednesday is for DR Elmore.

Dear DR Elmore,
I have been watching the dvd of Show Boat by the San Fransisco Opera as well as watching the concert version from PBS (it is still online). Also listening to the cd of the revival from several years ago.

I find it interesting how different they are. The first act is pretty much the same (added song or deleted song), but the second act has some changes.

In the SF Opera version, Magnolia is the Broadway star and Adult Kim only appears as a non-speaking part in the last scene. In the other versions, Kim is the one who went on to be the big Broadway star.

Do you know why in some versions there are different songs? "I Have the Room Above Her" is in the revival version. "Dance the Night Away" is in the SFOpera version. "I Might Fall Back on You" is only in the concert version. Were some songs deleted because the show is too long?

Yes, I know McGlinn made an excellent recording. Maybe someday when I place an order with Amazon I will remember to buy it.

DR Laura, SHOW BOAT has never been in a frozen state since the 1930s.  In 1946 Kern and Hammerstein revised it (one friend of mine sneeringly calls the 1946 version the "Carousel version" of SHOW BOAT) to conform to the new "serious musical theatre" format, removing what Hammerstein felt were out-of-date practices and lowering Ravenal's voice from tenor to baritone. This version, which was scaled down after its 1946 Broadway run, became the official rental version and is still available for performances.

In 1980, John McGlinn worked for the Houston Grand Opera to attempt to restore the show to its pre-1946 status. Between 1927 and 1945, there was a published vocal score that included music that was cut before the 1927 show ever opened on Broadway and there was a 1936 film that included three new songs, including "I Have the Room Above." This film, like the show, falls apart in the second half, but it is really wonderful since a lot of the cast is from the original Broadway production, including the great Helen Morgan as Julie.

Then, in 1988, John McGlinn recorded the original 1927 SHOW BOAT with an appendix of everything written for SHOW BOAT that he could locate: the song written for London, 1928, the songs written for 1927 and dropped, the 1936 movie songs, and the 1946 song for Kim, "Nobody else But Me." In the original and all productions with Kern and Hammerstein, the actress playing Magnolia played Broadway star Kim Ravenal, to show how the generations of performers continue, before going off, changing clothes, putting on a grey wig and coming back as Magnolia to join Ravenal for the finale.

The last Broadway revival created a lot of new problems and added one of the 1936 movie songs.  I believe the PBS San Francisco production includes the movie song "Ah Still Suits Me" for Queenie and Joe.

Before the Rodgers & Hammerstein Organization was absorbed by the Dutch firm Imagem, there were several attempts to have me edit a complete edition of SHOW BOAT.  I regret that it never happened.

A lot of productions today want to go back as far as possible to the original but I think the loose structure and the urge to make the show "contemporary" scares productions into keeping more of the 946 edition. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 09:52:59 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2015, 09:04:04 AM »

Appreciate that summary, DR Elmore.

Laura

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2015, 09:22:11 AM »

Thank you, DR Elmore.
"The last time those pirates were here, they stole our honey, and we had to eat unsweetened yogurt for a week!"
                                                                -- Tiger Lily

ChasSmith

« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2015, 09:22:56 AM »

So, in other news, The Fantasticks that was offered to me for early 2017 is off the table because a nearby theater beat them to it by announcing it for early summer 2016.  Those people then proceeded to ask me to to do it, but that time period is completely unworkable.  Now the first theater has asked me to suggest something I'd like to do in an available time slot later in the summer.  But as nice as it is to be wanted (what can I say, we musicians are ALWAYS in demand :) ), I really don't like having my summer months taken up with a large commitment.  I got burned out on that some years ago, and prefer fall-winter-spring now.  So, I dunno.

Laura

« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2015, 09:27:15 AM »

DR ChasSmith. Do Forever Plaid.
                                                                -- Tiger Lily

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2015, 09:35:33 AM »

There's always ONCE UPON A MATTRESS
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2015, 09:35:55 AM »

Thanks to DR ELMORE for the e-card and the SHOWBOAT information.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2015, 09:45:57 AM »

I am home from market. I stopped at Barnes & Noble to see friends and wish them a Merry and Happy.

Tomorrow, I will peel a lot of potatoes while the laundry is in the washers and dryers.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 09:49:30 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2015, 09:48:20 AM »

A small show I truly love is Birds of Paradise, a really intelligent adaptation of Chekhov's The Sea Gull by Winnie Holzman ("My So-Called Life" series) and David Evans.  The script is good and the score really really good.

ChasSmith

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2015, 10:09:32 AM »

Don't know it, but the descriptions sound great.

(Not that an unhesitating recommendation from DR Elmore isn't enough!)

Hmmm...  MTI sez:  "Expected general release is within the next three months."

There's a CD.  I'll get that.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2015, 11:10:35 AM »

Little Shop of Horrors is a fun show with a small cast.

Then there's Silence! The Musical.

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2015, 11:10:53 AM »

Always enjoy reading about Show Boat. Thanks to both Elmore and Laura.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2015, 11:13:18 AM »

I wanna take a nap.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2015, 11:14:47 AM »

It's 80 degrees here today -- and it feels great!
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2015, 11:30:17 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  Helper arrived at ten so I only got seven hours of sleep.  I got back into bed after she was gone but didn't sleep.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2015, 11:30:50 AM »

Jane, I'm not sure you'd remember her - she was in Fumed Oak and Skin of our Teeth with me - Arlene was her first name.

Laura

« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2015, 11:35:35 AM »

Grr. I have been trying to get in contact with the florist in the town where my MIL lives. The floral shop must have changed hands -- their website is under construction, and no one answers the phone.
                                                                -- Tiger Lily

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #49 on: December 23, 2015, 12:23:44 PM »

Thank you, DR Elmore, for the lovely card to wake to.

Yes, thank you.  I will have to open ours once we are off the ship.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2015, 12:26:44 PM »

Jane, I'm not sure you'd remember her - she was in Fumed Oak and Skin of our Teeth with me - Arlene was her first name.

Keith said he remembers that she was cute.

Ginny

« Reply #51 on: December 23, 2015, 01:06:27 PM »

We have returned from a nice open house at the Middletown Historical Society and several errands.  The final errand was a trip to Kroger, which was busy but nothing like it will be tomorrow.  We're good until after the weekend.  I now have just a few stocking stuffers to wrap, cookies to decorate, and a pecan pie to bake for Friday.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2015, 01:44:01 PM »

The supermarkets here have been crazy all week, all hours of the day. I had to stop in last night at around 9 p.m. to grab something and it was a madhouse. I had to go at lunch today. Different store, but worse traffic.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #53 on: December 23, 2015, 01:45:04 PM »

Happy Noche de los Rabanos, y'all. This is the night in which all the residents of Oaxaca parade to the center to the town with their prize radishes to celebrate the harvest and, well, have yet another excuse to party before Christmas.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #54 on: December 23, 2015, 01:45:52 PM »

― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2015, 01:47:03 PM »

And more radishes:

― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2015, 02:08:12 PM »

Wow!  Those are some incredible radish carvings!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

John G.

« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2015, 02:16:37 PM »

Just wrapped (as in drop in a bag) some presents. I hate wrapping paper, but I see that I need it for one gift.
― Voltaire

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2015, 02:17:02 PM »

I would HIGHLY recommend that DR TCB and DR GEORGE find Love, Actually to enjoy.  It is a very fun film with some sentimental overtones....and multi-story format with some overlapping.  Everyone does a nice job.

Liam Neeson plays a widower with a little boy - of course he wasn't a widower when he made the movie, but now he is.....so that makes his part more poignant.....

Hugh Grant and Emma Thompson play a brother and sister.....

Well....please watch it.  I think you will like it.

I think I'll (finally) check this out.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2015, 02:32:39 PM »

Back from soup and a sandwich, picking up no packages, shopping at Gelson's (decided to get it out of the way - crowded, but I got in and out in twenty minutes), and banking.  Everything is put away, the last of the organization and clean-up went to the garage and all that's left to do is prepare the tuna pasta salad this evening, as well as slice, dice, and mince, not necessarily in that order.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up